Dean Henderson | Sold to Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’m not directly comparing them, I’m saying that they definitely have the budget for the fee and wages, that’s all. Of course they’re trying to negotiate a better deal, who doesn’t want two players for the price of one.

If they have FFP issues, they’ll have to get Henderson to reduce his wages in line with playing for a smaller club.
But your original point was saying it weakens their negotiating position because of them giving Lingard a contract last season which really doesn't have any relevance to the situation. It's different scenarios. This is them purely wanting to negotiate to try and get the best out of their summer. They already paid Hendersons wages last year, the point of them negotiating is to try an get a better deal.

led_scholes

Salary is what makes these things hard. It's why it was so easy to get a good fee for Daniel James. It cause he wasn't on a 100k. If they sign dean he becomes their most paid player.
This is true. Before he had signed the contract he was valued around 40 millions. But I bet he was on something around 25k per week before that contract. (also his value has been hit a bit due to injuries)

Ace of Spades

30m or they can feck off. He is a good keeper, and at a good age as well.

If we can't get a new keeper in, I would rather keep him than have DDG at the club anymore.

OleGunnar20

Considering his wages, 20m would be fair enough for me. Especially given our apparent desperate need for funds. We need to clear out the bloat from this squad (Bailly, Telles, Williams et al) and then look to rebuild with sensible purchases.

davidmichael

I think we’ll settle on £20 million which allows £100 million in terms of FFP for us plus £100K off the wage bill, getting De Gea off the wage bill too will be massive for us.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I think we’ll settle on £20 million which allows £100 million in terms of FFP for us plus £100K off the wage bill, getting De Gea off the wage bill too will be massive for us.
Not quite

You're simplifying wages and contracts far too much.

Henderson would likely be a 3 or 4 year deal so you have to factor that into long term budgets, as you do with the transfer fee. Lingard was a one year deal on c. 120k per week. They also spent a lot of money last summer transfer/wage wise and they're not going to be able to do the same this season. Last summer was all about staying in the league so they went a bit crazy. This season is about trying to stabilise so I'd be very surprised to see a similar splurge and they'll be more cautious/negotiate more strictly.
Lingard was a 30 yr old squad player, Henderson is a 26 yr old keeper who will be there number 1 for the next 4-6 years. If Forest stay in the premier league they can easily afford his wages, bear in mind last season they were paying Lingard, Henderson and Kaylor Navas big wages. There is no reason Forest cannot afford his wages this season, and if they end up getting relegated they will easily recoup 25-30 m selling him next summer and not need to worry about his wages after that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Usual drill, we SHOULD be able to get strong money, but having foolishly whopped him onto 100k a week, that might complicate it.

Although money is so ludicrous in the premier league that it wouldn't surprise you to hear he'd get that if not more at Forest!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Lingard was a 30 yr old squad player, Henderson is a 26 yr old keeper who will be there number 1 for the next 4-6 years. If Forest stay in the premier league they can easily afford his wages, bear in mind last season they were paying Lingard, Henderson and Kaylor Navas big wages. There is no reason Forest cannot afford his wages this season, and if they end up getting relegated they will easily recoup 25-30 m selling him next summer and not need to worry about his wages after that.
I can afford a lot of things in my life but I don't buy them because it's not a good management of my budget hence why Henderson are trying to negotiate the best deal so they can manage their budgets.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Salary is what makes these things hard. It's why it was so easy to get a good fee for Daniel James. It cause he wasn't on a 100k. If they sign dean he becomes their most paid player.
I think that’s the thing. Let’s say if Forest has a budget salary for keeper at around 50k, then by giving Henderson 5 years contract they have to pay him 13.5m more. It all adds up to the investment cost, making 25m signing a nearly 40m from extra salary.

davidmichael

Not quite

Academy players allow for the whole fee to put on the yearly balance sheet and with the whole amortisation thing the fee is multiplied by 5 due to standard length of contracts so an academy player at £20 million allows for £100 million for FFP.

That report is based on what we can spend without selling so if we spent £150 million then sold Henderson for £20 million we would be allowed to buy a player for £100 million and spread the cost over 5 years, it’s basically what Chelsea have done over the past year or so but on a longer level and why FFP changed their rules to a 5 year maximum pay structure for all transfers.

Lentwood

Yeah but again, I'd argue that if you're going to start paying £25m for a footballer then you have to expect salary demands in advance of £100K per week.

They are in the big leagues now, earning the big TV revenues. Perhaps if they trimmed their 148-man squad they could afford him?

flappyjay

This is true. Before he had signed the contract he was valued around 40 millions. But I bet he was on something around 25k per week before that contract. (also his value has been hit a bit due to injuries)
The year on the bench and the injury have affected his reputation. We should stop paying players aren't starters what midtable teams can't afford.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That’s good - that probably needs another 10-15 mil on tops for a GK like Onana.

Anders Agnalt

I believe it would be more beneficial to retain Henderson if he genuinely regrets his actions and words. Additionally, it is crucial for him to publicly apologize to the club, the manager, and the supporters. Henderson is a talented goalkeeper, and unless we can secure a replacement of higher caliber than both DDG and Henderson, our season may be at risk. I strongly suspect that much of the turmoil from the previous season stemmed from another player who had a sense of superiority over the club.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I believe it would be more beneficial to retain Henderson if he genuinely regrets his actions and words. Additionally, it is crucial for him to publicly apologize to the club, the manager, and the supporters. Henderson is a talented goalkeeper, and unless we can secure a replacement of higher caliber than both DDG and Henderson, our season may be at risk. I strongly suspect that much of the turmoil from the previous season stemmed from another player who had a sense of superiority over the club.
I don't worry too much about him talking shit but he was crap when we gave him a run in the first team and he's not been good enough since to attract interest outside of Forest. There'll be no shortage of keepers we can sign who'd be better bets than him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't worry too much about him talking shit but he was crap when we gave him a run in the first team and he's not been good enough since to attract interest outside of Forest. There'll be no shortage of keepers we can sign who'd be better bets than him.
He really wasn't. He had a couple of crap games, but overall he was comfortably better than De Gea was that same season and also better than what De Gea has been for most of the two seasons since. It wasn't a coincidence that Henderson's run in the team is literally the only time in the last five years that we conceded less than a goal per game.

Ultimately I certainly prefer better again, but he wasn't crap.

davidmichael

That’s a brilliant deal for us if we get £30 million for Henderson, personally I think Henderson is better than De Gea but moving both on to save £475K a week and £30 million in transfer fees coming in is for once a fantastic bit of business by us.

Bertie Wooster

£30m would be a great price to receive for once for one of our squad players. Though us 'reportedly asking for it' is different than us actually getting it by the end of negotiations of course.

It's a shame about Henderson. To establish yourself in the first team after coming through the United ranks you do probably need a lot of self confidence and some 'ego'. But you probably also need the self awareness to keep that in check and respect the senior players until you've actually established yourself and earned your place in there.

Henderson could maybe have made it here. But didn't seem prepared to wait his turn and compete for the spot and has burned his bridges with some of his comments about the club.

If we can get a good fee for him then that's good business by us. And noticeable that it only really seems to be Forest in for him, which isn't really a great advert for his view that he should already be #1 at a club like United.

Erik the Red

This moved very quickly from a £30m deal to a £15m deal. Maybe it is £15m of add-ons, in which case I hope they are realistic. We should only ever do add-ons that have a high probability of paying out (when selling), and then we could even hedge against those events not happening, such as Forest avoiding relegation, and we would buy insurance to protect against Forest getting relegated, so we have locked in say 90% of that extra £15m, ie £13.5m.

Giggsyking

This moved very quickly from a £30m deal to a £15m deal. Maybe it is £15m of add-ons, in which case I hope they are realistic. We should only ever do add-ons that have a high probability of paying out (when selling), and then we could even hedge against those events not happening, such as Forest avoiding relegation, and we would buy insurance to protect against Forest getting relegated, so we have locked in say 90% of that extra £15m, ie £13.5m.
Luckhurst say a deal up to 30m. Wheeler say 15+ addons.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Would love to have got £30m for him but let’s be serious with ourselves. He’s not a £30m keeper and the fans of any club that spends that on him would be furious.

Red00012

£15 million up front is disappointing , he was a number 1 GK for a PL club last season. We should be pushing for £20millon

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's Luckhurst reporting before anyone gets too excited.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
A £30m lump sum would be great, means net 15m on the new Gk which we can pay over contract length.

I suspect this same method of player transfers will be used for the rest of the transfer targets we have.

Fred leaves before McT because of his contract expiry next year. That gives us bulk of the money for Sofyan Ambat.

This leaves us with a decent whack of cash for the Atalanta Cfwd we really need.

Good smart business tbh, should have started doing this years ago.

foolsgold

30m would be a dream scenario, it's basically pure profit on a academy player and get's 100k a week off the wage bill. I'm a little bit sad it didn't work out for him here, but it's clear we're going in a different direction.

If we can move on Elanga and Fred for decent fees, we're a long way towards paying for a No 9.

Alemar

We need to accept 30m bid, it solves a few problems immediately

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
30m?! Wtf are they smoking over there...and can I have some of it :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.