Dean Henderson | Sold to Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

bringbackbebe

Great deal. So that'll leave us with Bailly, Maguire, DVB and Martial as the only absolute deadwoods left. Hopefully we can sell two of these four in the coming days.

simplyginge

hello Palace fan here in peace wanted to ask your opinions on Henderson as a work colleague text'd not rating him so now concerned

Paul778

hello Palace fan here in peace wanted to ask your opinions on Henderson as a work colleague text'd not rating him so now concerned
He's a pretty good not great keeper. Not really a modern sweeper keeper but mostly a solid shot stopper.

He's not as good as he thinks he is.

gajender

£20m + £5m add ons + a sell on clause.

Plus getting rid of his ridiculous £100k per week wages.

We had to get the wart out of the club.
It's being reported £15m + £5m add ons +sell on Clause by most Journalists and unless add ons are easily achievable then its definitely bit underwhelming as I don't think sell on Clause would ever get active but it is what it but no complaints from me .

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
So, no one else a bit underwhelmed by only £20M for a PL proven keeper then?
He lost value with his injury and that's been the story of his career so far. Untimely COVID illness when he had the chance to outplay de Gea at United and an untimely injury when he could have cemented his place at Forest.

Harv

Before his injury lay off he was very good and commanding imo.
Personally think you're getting a bargain and he'll do well.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Solid shot stopper. No disrespect but its what you need at that level currently.

davidmichael

Sorry to not put your mind at ease, Henderson is a massive cnut who thinks he’s far better than he is so if a move to a bigger club is on offer you’ll lose him but whilst he’s there he’ll be a horrible person to have in your dressing room.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is a decent keeper, easily EPL standard but not top 6 or so standard. He is more traditional keeper than the new keepers who are good at sweeping and passing, but at times pretends to be a sweeper and gets found out in no man zone. He is quite a good shotstopper but not an elite one.

He also probably thinks that he is better than Alisson.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Few ManUtd fans are salty because he said something in his interview, so you might not get balanced view.

Imo he is good GK, he did well for us when he played. Made couple of mistakes like his positioning when dealing 1v1 against Salah, for some odd reason it is held against him after years.

Also he played very less for first team, so it's difficult to have proper opinion on him.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
For me, he's a very poor PL keeper. He's good at saving penalties, average at dealing with crosses and mostly piss poor at everything else.

The people saying he's a good shot stopper are especially way off the mark. He's genuinely shocking. His stats for the last year show Forest were conceding 0.45 goals per game more with him in nets than they would have with the average PL keeper facing the same shots:

On top of that, his distribution might actually be worse than De Gea's was, which takes some doing.

To offer some balance, other United fans rate him quite a bit more than I do, and Forest fans mostly seemed happy enough with him last year (though they'll obviously have lower expectations) - he did have some good moments there like his few pen saves and their game against Liverpool.

simplyginge

Solid shot stopper. No disrespect but its what you need at that level currently.
Guaita was a decent modern day styled keeper but refused to play for us for some reason. At Palace we tend to go for big keepers no matter how inept they are:) Wayne Hennessy for example was dog awful but we kept him for 3 years as he was 6ft5. It doesn't make sense in the modern game to go for these old dinosaur keepers but what do I know!
Also saw the following on a telegram thread which is making me extra nervous:eek:

--- Henderson good kicking but very mediocre, no spring nor flexibility, never comes for crosses and full of mistakes, not PL level. Glad to get his £100k a week off our wages.

Anyways will leave it there as don't want seem to negative but appreciate your views. Best of luck for the season. You've got a great side, apart from maguire:)

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
You won't find many unbiased opinions here. United fans who regularly speak out against the club are still fuming that Henderson spoke out against the club.

V.O.

You won't find many unbiased opinions here. United fans who regularly speak out against the club are still fuming that Henderson spoke out against the club.
He can be a gobshite and a poor keeper. His shot stopping stats aren't in the 2nd and 5th percentiles because he's got a big mouth.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
For me, he's a very poor PL keeper. He's good at saving penalties, average at dealing with crosses and mostly piss poor at everything else.

The people saying he's a good shot stopper are especially way off the mark. He's genuinely shocking. His stats for the last year show Forest were conceding 0.45 goals per game more with him in nets than they would have with the average PL keeper facing the same shots:

On top of that, his distribution might actually be worse than De Gea's was, which takes some doing.

To offer some balance, other United fans rate him quite a bit more than I do, and Forest fans mostly seemed happy enough with him last year (though they'll obviously have lower expectations) - he did have some good moments there like his few pen saves and their game against Liverpool.
I think those stats might be bugged. When looking at all competitions in the last 365 days (as you have here) it seems that FBref are including the goals that keepers conceded in domestic cups, but those games don't have a PSxG so they effectively end up conceding goals for an expected PSxG of 0, which then throws the stats out. I don't remember that normally happening so I think FBRef might have changed something for this season and it's impacting last seasons stats.

When looking just at the PL last season Henderson's stats are still below average (17th, 31st and 39th percentiles respectively in the three categories in your pic), but certainly not as bad as what you linked. The season he played a decent amount for us he was 50th, 90th and 78th percentile.

V.O.

I think those stats might be bugged. When looking at all competitions in the last 365 days (as you have here) it seems that FBref are including the goals that keepers conceded in domestic cups, but those games don't have a PSxG so they effectively end up conceding goals for an expected PSxG of 0, which then throws the stats out. I don't remember that normally happening so I think FBRef might have changed something for this season and it's impacting last seasons stats.

When looking just at the PL last season Henderson's stats are still below average (17th, 31st and 39th percentiles respectively in the three categories in your pic), but certainly not as bad as what you linked. The season he played a decent amount for us he was 50th, 90th and 78th percentile.
That's strange. If something is up with the stats, I don't see how it would affect Henderson more than other keepers in percentile terms when it looks like he only played a couple of cup games and only conceded the odd goal in each.

But yeah, there must be something amiss either way for the league record to read that much different than the overall stats, when it should account for the vast majority of the game time.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It's funny how much the narrative on this fella flipped in a couple years. Happens I spose. I can't remember, what's specifically did he say in the interview that was bad about United?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Apologies if I've come across as rude. I just think our fans need to accept that we can't get market value for our overpaid squad players from mid table clubs.
He's had multiple loans at PL clubs, he's a PL proven keeper and a decent one at that. £30M was about the right price.

I notice no bollocks about compensation for Henderson. Is Maguire the only player in PL history to scupper a transfer due to compensation?

Marcelinho87

Not at all, the guy is 26 and has played less than 70 premier league games in his career... we can't claim he is potential or up and coming, I'm astounded he's worth 20m nevermind any more.

Borussia Teeth

He's had multiple loans at PL clubs, he's a PL proven keeper and a decent one at that. £30M was about the right price.

I notice no bollocks about compensation for Henderson. Is Maguire the only player in PL history to scupper a transfer due to compensation?
Palace are probably able to pay him a decent wage because of the lower transfer fee.

I'm sure many transfers have fallen through due to wages.

SER19

Was never going to displace Onana, good to sell him on. Get a cheap back up and use funds elsewhere.

Oranges038

In his longest spell in the team at Utd, he outperformed the guy who now can't find a club on almost every metric. But for his bout of covid he might have been kept as no.1 before Ole got sacked. Think he was well pissed off with not getting any game time after that, so he jumped at the first chance he got with Forrest and made some unwise comments. Which is what most Utd fans use as a stick to beat him with, well that and the Salah goal.

At Forrest he was playing in a team with so many new players. They had holes all over the place for the first few months, the last 6 or 8 weeks before he got injured they had been quite solid defensively, were conceding at lot less chances and a lot less goals.

He can be a bit headless at times, but he's a decent keeper, he's just not really played for a while. He maybe just needs a run of games behind a settled back line to get back into it and to get a good understanding going with them.

Castia

It’s his high wages that have screwed the deal. If he was on a realistic contract like 60k then I think there would have been a lot of interest and we would probably have got 30m

glasgow 21

It's funny how much the narrative on this fella flipped in a couple years. Happens I spose. I can't remember, what's specifically did he say in the interview that was bad about United?
It was a lot of "He said, she said" but I think most of the annoyance was that he done the interview in Nottingham ,on loan criticising his contracted club which is now laughable as he ends up injured on their turf and they didn't want to buy him. Naive to say the least.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Have you seen the tenth most expensive keeper signing ever?
Getting £20m for Henderson is a damn good deal and probably puts him in the top 25 most expensive keepers ever and certainly one of the most expensive English keepers :lol:

Ramsdale went for circa £24m after two premiership seasons and being outstanding for both, Henderson hasn't had a season like Ramsdale.

Gandalf

It was a lot of "He said, she said" but I think most of the annoyance was that he done the interview in Nottingham ,on loan criticising his contracted club which is now laughable as he ends up injured on their turf and they didn't want to buy him. Naive to say the least.
The interview might have been viewed in a more positive light if it had not already been confirmed that alongside LIngard he was the one leaking all sorts of crap from the dressing room to the media during the Ralf Rangnick era. He had well and truly lost all good will by the end of that season and so he was on a hiding to nothing with that interview, of course he still made a knob of himself anyway because that is who he seems to be.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He’s ok. I’ve always been a fan of Sam Johnstone though, in my opinion he’s a better long term candidate. Henderson is full of himself. By all accounts he’s been trouble behind the scenes. He needs a dose of humble pie

Status
Not open for further replies.