Dean Henderson | Sold to Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Says something about the state of our selling power when I’m looking at 15m as a good deal. The amount of dross that’s gone for double that…

Gandalf

As long as you can find another £15m in additional revenue for the next 4 years too.

There's going to be feck all left in the coffers for any future transfer windows, if we go by this logic.
It is how every club does deals. We always spend way more than we generate in outgoings, we are not a selling club. That said, I really don’t see 75M before the end of the window, probably 30M for Amrabat and that’s it.

Skills

Snitch
It is how every club does deals. We always spend way more than we generate in outgoings, we are not a selling club. That said, I really don’t see 75M before the end of the window, probably 30M for Amrabat and that’s it.
No they don't.

saik

Let's not kid ourselves. He good enough to be a decent PL goalkeeper and certainly way better than that Turner guy who Forest signed. Henderson did have some good performances for Forest last season and I remember that game against Liverpool where he basically won them 3 points.

Based on todays performance, Turner doesn't look like a PL level goalkeeper so it's Forest's loss more than anything trying to be cheap bastards while they are more than happy to throw money around on other signings.

mu4c_20le

Turner looked shaky as hell. If Wout was around for one of those loose balls..

Revan

Assumptionman
As long as you can find another £15m in additional revenue for the next 4 years too.

There's going to be feck all left in the coffers for any future transfer windows, if we go by this logic.
Yep. For whatever reasons people seem to think that only FFP matters, while forgetting that we are already in 300m transfer debt. Our spending is just unsustainable regardless of FFP.

Revan

Assumptionman
So who doesn’t use amoritization and how do they record their transfer deals because I am really curious now.
Everyone uses amortization but his point is that also how much money you have matters. Even without FFP you cannot just spend money because well, the money has to come from somewhere. United has no money, we have around 300m in credit card for transfers.

Gandalf

Everyone uses amortization but his point is that also how much money you have matters. Even without FFP you cannot just spend money because well, the money has to come from somewhere. United has no money, we have around 300m in credit card for transfers.
No. He specifically said everyone doesn’t use amoritization and I am asking who and how do they do their deals as he is so certain.

Skills

Snitch
So who doesn’t use amoritization and how do they record their transfer deals because I am really curious now.
Everyone does.

But nobody's reckless enough to use £15m of one off revenue from a players disposal, to then spend £75m in that window.

That's reckless. Because you've then got a £15m shortfall in your budget for the next 4 years. Which you need to make up for by making an additional £15m in revenue in sales again for the next 4 years, or just cut your next 4 transfer budgets by £15m. This would be an awful way to manage any business.

izec

Good keeper, sad to see him leave. Had the potential to be number 1 here, but this is gone now.

Now sell Maguire and buy a CB and a midfielder please.

RORY65

No. He specifically said everyone doesn’t use amoritization and I am asking who and how do they do their deals as he is so certain.
He meant it to the extent that clubs don't multiple incoming sales by 5 to determine what they can spend, which seems to be Chelsea's policy, because it's purely dependent on generating the same income again next year (i.e. finding other players to sell) to weigh against that spending and ignores any future signings.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think the deal is good for us and it gets his wages (£120k a week) off the books. Those negotiations conducted by Matt Judge and overseen by Woodward are slowly being corrected.

Gandalf

Everyone does.

But nobody's reckless enough to use £15m of one off revenue from a players disposal, to then spend £75m in that window.

That's reckless. Because you've then got a £15m shortfall in your budget for the next 4 years. Which you need to make up for by making an additional £15m in revenue in sales again for the next 4 years, or just cut your next 4 transfer budgets by £15m. This would be an awful way to manage any business.
I agree that it is reckless but that is backtracking from your original statement. If you are a big club typically you will always have a huge transfer deficit because you are not dependent on transfers for revenue. I don’t think we should spend 75M and I highly doubt we will, I was just explaining to the poster who asked how 15M can be spun into 75M in purchases.

Tiber

15m for a decent Premier league keeper with multiple years starting experience isn't amazing

Skills

Snitch
I agree that it is reckless but that is backtracking from your original statement. If you are a big club typically you will always have a huge transfer deficit because you are not dependent on transfers for revenue. I don’t think we should spend 75M and I highly doubt we will, I was just explaining to the poster who asked how 15M can be spun into 75M in purchases.
How is it back tracking from my original statement?

Are you forgetting the fact that we've already spent £150m without any player disposals so far?

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet

I’m pretty sure we already reached that point with previous years spending…hence we’re skint. Woodward.

Plastic Evra

Amortisation is an accounting convention that you can game to give yourself more elasticity / leverage but you can't just abuse it year after year. If 100m go out, you need 100m to come in at one point (even if maybe a few years down the line). Big clubs typically don't really do the whole "flipping player to balance books" thing, so eat into their revenue or accumulate debt when they go on such sprees.

I think it's more sensible to assume we're operating on a 1:1 basis for this part of the window. Consistent with the lack of signings and reports. And that's if the Mount+Onana+Højlund combo didn't go over budget to begin with and the sales concluded are not allocated to balance that.

Maybe United has X millions they kept for a late opportunity / emergency signing. We'll know soon.

Revaulx

Ok - with add-ons, we get to 20m + sell-on fee.

Not terrible.

Now wait for the numpties who wanted to let him go on a free complain about the transfer fee.
Given his idiotic wages I don’t think it’s terrible at all.

But yeah, the “we’re still shit at selling” brigade won’t be silenced.

saivet

I think the deal is good for us and it gets his wages (£120k a week) off the books. Those negotiations conducted by Matt Judge and overseen by Woodward are slowly being corrected.

Did also help that Henderson was so vocal in wanting to leave. There are certainly other players that would be content to hang around with the contract Henderson had.

abailey123

Once we have competent owners who are prepared to invest to cover the shortfall we’re ok. Our problem when it comes to FFP is the Glazers not investing capital.

Plastic Evra

Says something about the state of our selling power when I’m looking at 15m as a good deal. The amount of dross that’s gone for double that…
15m£ is pretty good for a GK. 7th most expensive transfer at this position in this window so far, if I am not mistaken. And except Onana it's 20m£ affairs at most.
(All time GK transfers - 32th).

Honestly for how flaccid the hype for him has been for a while... I'd say United for once went beyond expectations.

didz

When you think about it, we've paid him just shy of £20m over the last 3 years, and would supposedly have gotten £50m off Chelsea had we sold him before giving him that crazy contract, when his stock was at its highest.

That deal was a £70m error, and we're still pretty lucky to be getting as much as we are, given the circumstances.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
When you think about it, we've paid him just shy of £20m over the last 3 years, and would supposedly have gotten £50m off Chelsea had we sold him before giving him that crazy contract, when his stock was at its highest.

That deal was a £70m error, and we're still pretty lucky to be getting as much as we are, given the circumstances.
wait, what?

I thought they wanted to sign him on a free and that's why we offered the ridiculous contract.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Did also help that Henderson was so vocal in wanting to leave. There are certainly other players that would be content to hang around with the contract Henderson had.
Agreed.

And I don't blame other players wanting to stick around because they aren't going to get the same wages elsewhere. The other player is Maguire who was signed under Solskjaer/Phelan, but his attributes as a CB don't suit a team who want to build play from the back with the aim of playing higher up the pitch.

And Maguire's biggest problem was being poor at evading the press in confined spaces, which is a big problem if the plan is to play out from the back. I said it at the time that we should look to sign Konate, Saliba and I even mentioned Jonathan Tah who flopped. But those were the type of CBs that I feel we should've been targeting in 2019 due to their physical and athletic capabilities along with the aforementioned players showing the ability to be good on the ball.

So it was never going to be easy to move players on that were on much bigger wages than their actual talent merited.

RuudTom83

C’mon lets stop with the 15 + 5 chat. Combine it and turn it into euros!

23.3 million is a good fee!

Good luck Dean.

Malone_Post

I can’t believe we wasted so many years and so much money clinging onto the idea that he was going to be our long term #1 purely on the basis that he was an academy lad who kept telling everyone he was going to be our next #1. Painfully average keeper who you could spot wasn’t going to be good enough a mile off. A poor man’s Jordan Pickford.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
We lose doubly when we put players on ridiculous wages—players who have not earned it.

It's a stupid Glazer policy, that has done more harm than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.