Dean Henderson

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
If the news are true and Pereira is out for 3 weeks, I find it a really dumb decision to call back Henderson from what looked like a great loan, to be the 3rd keeper for a couple of weeks. Don't know what the loan rules are, hope he goes back.

khoazany

So we gonna waste Henderson's half season just because J.Pereira is injured for 3 weeks? I wonder if the person who made that decision give any feck about young player's development.

top1whoisman

Scout
So we gonna waste Henderson's half season just because J.Pereira is injured for 3 weeks? I wonder if the person who made that decision give any feck about young player's development.
MEN said that ”Henderson will be the 3rd keeper until the end of the season”. We’ll get confirmation soon.

Giggsy92

Was there not an option to recall Sam Johnstone? Would have been a better move I think.

DatGuyRich

Was there not an option to recall Sam Johnstone? Would have been a better move I think.
Sams like 23/24 playing in a decent side who should really be looking to push on in the next few months and maybe try to sneak a play off position.

If he does well he will likely stay there permanently next season. Calling him back would be even stupider than calling Henderson back.

ariel

Very strange decision.
At long last he broke to be first choice and is enjoying great performances and we decide to cut it short so he can maybe sit on the bench?
And if we can call him back, why the hurry to do it now? Use O'hara as third goalie, and if god forbid something happens to one of the first two, call him back. And what happens in three weeks when Pereira returns? Makes no sence at all

top1whoisman

Scout
Henderson is not in our Europa League player list, whereas O'Hara (and Pereira) is.

khoazany

You need 3 keepers in a season and he is next in line, what you want us to do?
We have O'Hara and Max Johnstone as the other keepers in the U23s. What's the point of them being at the club then? It's only a third choice keeper role and Pereira is only out for 3 weeks according to the media.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Maybe, just maybe, the club is thinking about their strongest squad and prefer Henderson to O'Hara.

In which case it makes perfect sense.

It also gives Henderson a big vote of confidence that we rate him so highly.

Mountains and molehills.

Virtuoso

I've always been very impressed by Dean Henderson. Brave, technically excellent and also from what I've seen, he has a great spring. Seems to be able to get across the goal very quickly because of it. It's difficult to really analyse young 'keepers, but I really hope he keeps progressing and this was a very promising debut for the U21s. Good luck to him.
I posted this a couple of years ago, and I really do believe that Henderson is the most talented goalkeeper that we've had come from the Academy in 10+ years. Whether this will be reflected in his career trajectory or his progress, who knows, but I've always had very high hopes for him (though I do maintain that it is especially tricking trying to judge young goalkeepers).

As for his recall, it is not ideal at all. By all regards, he's been in great form at Grimsby and he seemed motivated and invested in helping them do well. Seemed to show great character and leadership for a teenager at a struggling, lower league club too (which can't be said for all of our more talented youngsters who have been going out on loan recently). A real shame that it has come to a sudden halt, and I completely share the sentiment that it seems like an unnecessary decision too considering O'Hara could have remained 3rd choice and if the situation worsened with another injury, then we could have recalled Henderson.

Saying that, let's hope he comes back reinvigorated with his experience out on loan and creates an impression with Mourinho and the senior coaching staff. Hopefully his performances at Grimsby this season could lead to maybe a loan at a Championship club next season.

ti vu

Within a week, injuries seemed to mess us up. First, Jones after we subbed off Carrick throwing away our second half game plan. Now this for both Pereira and Henderson. :mad:

khoazany

I posted this a couple of years ago, and I really do believe that Henderson is the most talented goalkeeper that we've had come from the Academy in 10+ years. Whether this will be reflected in his career trajectory or his progress, who knows, but I've always had very high hopes for him (though I do maintain that it is especially tricking trying to judge young goalkeepers).
You're not only one who believe Henderson is the most talented. He seems to have that strong passion for football as well, not the most popular guy on the dressing room from what I heard but on the pitch he's top notch.

No, Max. Sam’s little brother.
He's never been played but Sam's younger brother is also with us.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
You're not only one who believe Henderson is the most talented. He seems to have that strong passion for football as well, not the most popular guy on the dressing room from what I heard but on the pitch he's top notch.

He's never been played but Sam's younger brother is also with us.
I can't wait for us to have some angry twats that all the nice boys are afraid of back in the dressing room tbf. Unless he's Joe Harty and cringeworthy I suppose.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Watching him in the U20 WC, his distribution is absolutely class.

Sold a dummy by his own teammate btw :lol:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Truth is it isn't really clear how it happened. Looks to go through Henderson
Well it's a terrible back pass regardless, you're told from a young age to pass it to the keeper on the floor and not in between the sticks as the unthinkable could happen! That #5 made two basic errors, he shouldn't be looking like he just walked in on his mum doing the dirty with the postman.

ariel

That call back was ridiculous. Ruined a promising loan for 2-3 games as third choice keeper, when all along we had O'Hara as well. Won't be surprised if it triggers his desire to leave.

Thought he was first choice for the u-20. Wasn't he at some stage?

khoazany

That call back was ridiculous. Ruined a promising loan for 2-3 games as third choice keeper, when all along we had O'Hara as well. Won't be surprised if it triggers his desire to leave.

Thought he was first choice for the u-20. Wasn't he at some stage?
Always behind Woodman who is in all fairness a very good talent. Bit like Johnstone vs. Butland.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Hope he doesn't leave but can understand why particularly given Pereira seems to be favoured out of the young keepers at the club.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
It will be a mistake if we let him go, but don't see it happening tbf. Probably will be loaned out again.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
I reckon the reason is more about that pointless callback in January.
Even with that loan, I don't think he would be remotely ready for the first-team. He did miss out on getting minutes under his belt, but a team's need (however frivolous) will always come first. Anyway, if he does leave I'd say insert a sneaky buy-back option as one can never know these days.