Television 'Dear White People' - Film and Netflix Series (Scores 100 on RT)

Kostur

海尔的老板
Sparking some kind of a controversy just in order to make a point that seems to be well known to everybody is a smart move. I doubt going ham on race/religion/ethinic group X to show them that directly/indirectly because of them race/religion/ethnic group Y is suffering is going go make somebody rethink anything, it's just throwing another shit at the fan.

Plus the tweets that @Mrs Smoker posted, I don't even have to (and obviously won't) watch a show to know that the writer of it is an idiot. Hurr durr somebody doesn't agree with my political agenda, feck group X because %% of them voted for somebody I don't like!!! They are generalising shits hurr durr!!11

Jesus, people should just feck off, all of them, Trumpists, Clintonists, remove yourself from the fecking Internet and let people live.

John_Jensen

2017 is the year of the offended.

That being said some posters in here could be on the end of an almighty beating from a group of black people wearing shirts saying "I'm beating you cos your white" and they would still deny it being a racist attack.
Are you suggesting black people don't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'?

Jig1234

I loved this show. It was very well done. Enjoyed it more than the movie. Dialogue was witty and clever. Fantastic characters and with interesting stories. The satirical approach makes this show very enjoyable whilst dealing with controversial issues. It was a modern spin on the discussion of race. Rating: 8/10

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Must give it a watch.

Saw the film recently and really enjoyed it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
2017 is the year of the offended.

That being said some posters in here could be on the end of an almighty beating from a group of black people wearing shirts saying "I'm beating you cos your white" and they would still deny it being a racist attack.
So you're saying black people have poor grammar? :mad::nono:

Some of them are students you know! Text of white

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Excellent show. Smart, funny, well written and acted and touched upon some great social issues.

The fact that this has a low imdb score, and the probable reason for it saddens me.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I thought it was very good as a dramedy, but if I'm being picky, maybe a little broad and on the nose politically, which I can't really hold against it as being one of the only prominent examples of its type, and addressing stuff that not a lot of other things do, broad archetypes were probably the right way to go for a first series eyeing mainstream success.

As a well meaning whitey looking in, I thought it struck a good balance myself, but I also found it interesting reading an Atlantic round-table with some prominent black writers (including Ta-Nehishi Coats) about its flaws from a black perspective. Mainly that for a show for black people, about black people, there was very little interaction between the black characters that wasn't in someway related to the overarching themes of racism, or their place in a racist society. Essentially they didn't talk to each other like people discussing everyday black people things, as much as black people talking about being black. It failed a "blackchel test" if you will...They also all hated the consistent use of "woke", which I'd agree often came off like an older writer trying to seem 'down' with modern parlance by rampantly overusing it.

Little of which I feel remotely qualified enough to have much of an opinion on, but nevertheless found interesting as suplimentary context. I tend to think it's something they can build on in the second series now they've gotten the broader strokes out of the way. The long form nature of the show has already allowed for huge improvements on the characters of Coco and Reggie, for example, who were both kinda secondary villains in the film, but are a lot more fleshed out here, and in Coco's case, possibly the most sympathetic protagonist (though Reggie is still kinda defined by his possessive obsession with Sam, which itself seems based entirely on their shared political ideas of 'blackness'. Also Joelle is completely underwritten, despite being possibly the only character to have any non-politically charged conversations with Sam.)

Definitely an entertaining binge-worthy show, with some important stuff to say, and unsurprisingly - like the film - completely uncontroversial in its attitudes to the titular "white people" that caused such a ridiculous stir amongst dumb trolls with no knowledge of, or inclination to know, what the show was actually about in the first place. I also liked the episodic structure, and the little comedic narration at the top of each ep.

7.5/10, would bang.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anyone catch season 3? About half way through and I'm enjoying it... though it's not being as "current" as I thought it would be. Seems the focus has shifted more towards the drama of the characters then any actual issues.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Anyone catch season 3? About half way through and I'm enjoying it... though it's not being as "current" as I thought it would be. Seems the focus has shifted more towards the drama of the characters then any actual issues.
Yeah i've completed it. It's definitely moved away from the issues but I think that was necessary? It doesn't come out often enough to focus on the societal issues.
What they've done greatly is develop the characters to a point where they themselves are representative of issues, and their storylines & character arc's mimic a lot of what goes on in modern society - without it being so obvious & in your face as perhaps season 1 & 2 were.

I enjoyed it a lot though, the seasons never feel long enough for me.