Television 'Dear White People' - Film and Netflix Series (Scores 100 on RT)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/...trailer-sparks-backlash-netflix-faces-claims/

*Are we allowed to copy and paste articles from The Telegraph?

'Dear White People' trailer sparks backlash as Netflix faces claims of racism
Netflix is facing an online backlash after releasing its first trailer of "Dear White People", a comedy TV series about racial politics on a university campus.

Based on the acclaimed film of the same name three years ago, Dear White People "satirises 'post-racial' America as students of colour navigate a predominantly white Ivy League college," according to the site’s description.

95% of the ratings on the video are thumbs down and some commenters have labelled it racist, threatened to cancel their subscription and accused Netflix of race baiting. Although we've seen comedians address white people as a whole, it's usually been done as a way of including white people in the comedy. I do fear with things like this (and this is judging from the trailer) that it's not a way of including white people in a joke but more of a revenge fantasy.

Sweet Square

95% of the ratings on the video are thumbs down and some commenters have labelled it racist, threatened to cancel their subscription and accused Netflix of race baiting. Although we've seen comedians address white people as a whole, it's usually been done as a way of including white people in the comedy. I do fear with things like this (and this is judging from the trailer) that it's not a way of including white people in a joke but more of a revenge fantasy.
Hopefully, it would be more interesting than a boring teen/mid twenties comedy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Impossible to know how offensive it is or not based on that trailer. I do know there are huge numbers of white people all over t'internet absolutely chomping at the bit to get offended about racism towards white people though. Whether or not it's actually real.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'm guessing the people who've rated it down haven't actually seen the movie that inspired this?

The movie wasn't race baiting, it touched on stereotypes from both black and white people, including interracial dating, talking 'white', being black but not liking hip-hop, being black and gay etc.

It asked questions which need to be asked, what it means to be black, what it means to be white, the differences and similarities etc.

The movie was great.

Personally I think white people find the topic of racism uncomfortable and prefer not to deal with it, while ironically claiming that black and other people of colour need to get over racism. And unfortunately, the people who would actually benefit from watching something like this, wont.

But eh, it's your life.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm guessing the people who've rated it down haven't actually seen the movie that inspired this?

The movie wasn't race baiting, it touched on stereotypes from both black and white people, including interracial dating, talking 'white', being black but not liking hip-hop, being black and gay etc.

It asked questions which need to be asked, what it means to be black, what it means to be white, the differences and similarities etc.

The movie was great.

Personally I think white people find the topic of racism uncomfortable and prefer not to deal with it, while ironically claiming that black and other people of colour need to get over racism. And unfortunately, the people who would actually benefit from watching something like this, wont.

But eh, it's your life.
Definitely.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Would the series have been considered racist if it was the other way around, a series named "Dear Black People" and with largely the same content only turned around? If not then no, it isn't racist, if yes then yes, it is racist.

I haven't even seen the trailer and won't bother.

Last edited:

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Impossible to know how offensive it is or not based on that trailer. I do know there are huge numbers of white people all over t'internet absolutely chomping at the bit to get offended about racism towards white people though. Whether or not it's actually real.
Agreed. Seems like some people are just waiting to be offended by something they don't agree with. The age of outrage, it seems.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Would the series have been considered racist if it was the other way around, a series named "Dear Black People" and with largely the same content only mirrored? If not then no, it isn't racist, if yes then yes, it is racist.

That logic doesn't work, for obvious reasons. You can't expect perfect symmetry because of the historical context in which racism exists.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Would the series have been considered racist if it was the other way around, a series named "Dear Black People" and with largely the same content only mirrored? If not then no, it isn't racist, if yes then yes, it is racist.

That isn't possible.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Haven't seen it and I don't plan to, but as a white guy, there's very little that could offend me.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
What would racism against white people even look like though though? That's the real question.

DOTA

If the writer doesn't respond with a statement including the phrase 'some of my best friends are white' I'll be disappointed.

SwansonsTache

That logic doesn't work, for obvious reasons. You can't expect perfect symmetry because of the historical context in which racism exists.
Racism by definition is "Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior". It doesn't matter if it me as a white guy verbally assaulting my black neighbor or him as a black guy verbally assaulting me.

But somehow it isn't seen as the same, and a lot of people has decided that white people "own" racism, and if you disagree then you are seen as some racism denier and alt-right supporter.

Dir Wangem

What would racism against white people even look like though though? That's the real question.
Discrimination, bullying or violence based solely on the fact that you're white, should definitely count as racism. All that talk about 'privilege' means jack when you're getting beat up just for being white. This happens pretty much daily to completely innocent people(of all races for that matter). Just because one race is historically more privileged, the punches don't hurt any less. Nor should they be easier to excuse(which unfortunately seems to be the case).

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Discrimination, bullying or violence based solely on the fact that you're white, should definitely count as racism. All that talk about 'privilege' means jack when you're getting beat up for being white. This happens pretty much daily to completely innocent people(of all races for that matter). Just because one race is historically more privileged, the punches don't hurt any less. Nor should they be easier to excuse(which unfortunately seems to be the case).
I understand that, but does the film and this tv show promote discrimination, bullying or violence against white people for being white and nothing else?

SwansonsTache

Just saw the very short trailer. People seriously yelled racism due to that?

Our new over sensitive and permanently offended world can be a very tiresome place to live.

afrocentricity

@Dir Wangem Well the scope is different for a start. No point ignoring that. Discrimination can and does happen between all races, but it's scope and effect is different.

For example the tv show in the other thread, Roots, you could remake that and reverse the roles but it wouldn't be equivalent would it? One show would be historical and one would be make believe, hypothetical, fantasy. Context and pretext...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I can understand it being controversial but I'm not really sure how from that trailer people jump to the conclusion it's racist.

It does come across a bit "look how racist all these posh white people are"...but, I've visited villages in middle England...and they ARE that racist, and not even on purpose. Not exactly a huge stretch to imagine parts of America might be or have been the same.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Racism by definition is "Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior". It doesn't matter if it me as a white guy verbally assaulting my black neighbor or him as a black guy verbally assaulting me.

But somehow it isn't seen as the same, and a lot of people has decided that white people "own" racism, and if you disagree then you are seen as some racism denier and alt-right supporter.
Somehow? You're a smart guy. You can work out why the two are perceived differently, surely?

villain

Hates Beyoncé

How many ways can black people actively discriminate against white people?
How many ways can white people actively discriminate against black people?

Are they the same?

Nobody is denying that discrimination can effect everyone, but discrimination you may face as a white man, versus discrimination I may face as a black woman aren't the same.

afrocentricity

Just saw the very short trailer. People seriously yelled racism due to that?
The film had the same issue, the title triggers people I guess. Not many people who watched were offended, I don't recall any... But I may have forgotten.

You could argue that the title, and the assumption of what it's about acts as a deterrent to people. I'd counter and say those that can't get past the title and are apprehensive probably won't get much from it anyway... Being open minded is prerequisite.

DOTA

I'm often reduced to tears over thoughts of my ancestors and many like them being enslaved by the whip of the black man. It didn't actually happen, but in an alternate reality it sort of could have happened and that's basically the same. Why don't people realise how offensive it is to mock my race given the hypothetical horrors it could've gone through?

SwansonsTache

Somehow? You're a smart guy. You can work out why the two are perceived differently, surely?
Yes I understand that historical context changes things, but my point is that what perfectly unrelated white folks did generations ago shouldn't be used to trivialize racism against me as a white guy today.

How many ways can black people actively discriminate against white people?
How many ways can white people actively discriminate against black people?

Are they the same?

Nobody is denying that discrimination can effect everyone, but discrimination you may face as a white man, versus discrimination I may face as a black woman aren't the same.
Read the definition of racism, racism is racism and it doesn't matter if the perp is black,white yellow or brown.

SwansonsTache

The film had the same issue, the title triggers people I guess. Not many people who watched were offended, I don't recall any... But I may have forgotten.

You could argue that the title, and the assumption of what it's about acts as a deterrent to people. I'd counter and say those that can't get past the title and are apprehensive probably won't get much from it anyway... Being open minded is prerequisite.
I'd imagine "White people can't jump" would have been raged upon if released today.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yes I understand that historical context changes things, but my point is that what perfectly unrelated white folks did generations ago shouldn't be used to trivialize racism against me as a white guy today.

Read the definition of racism, racism is racism and it doesn't matter if the perp is black,white yellow or brown.
So a book definition overrides actual events and instances of racism?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
'White people' have spent the last year basically sabotaging the world in protest at it not being all about us anymore... I'm not remotely surprised the same kind of Ghostbusters boycotting, Breitbart reading, Milo following, alt-right dickheads are pulling some deluded self righteous shit like this. It's no more or less an actual issue than Gamergate was about ethics in gaming journalism.

This film isn't even really about 'white people' it's more about internal conflict in the black community anyway.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Out of interest, do you have much personal experience of racism against you as a white guy?

That's another recurring theme in this debate. White people getting upset about not being allowed to accuse people of being racist towards them, when chances are this is mainly because nobody has ever been racist towards them. It's hard to have any sympathy for hypothetical racism when the other side of the debate is full of people who are experiencing, you know, actual racism.

Dir Wangem

@vi1lain , @afrocentricity

I'm not saying that context is irrelevant, nor am I suggesting that racism towards white people is even close to as common or detrimental as racism towards black people(for instance) is. I am however saying that racism towards white people can and does happen. A black man punching a white man for being white is just as bad as the other way around. The latter happens more, obviously. But it doesn't excuse racism towards white people either.

afrocentricity

I'm not saying that context is irrelevant, nor am I suggesting that racism towards white people is even close to as common or detrimental as racism towards black people(for instance) is. I am however saying that racism towards white people can and does happen. A black man punching a white man for being white is just as bad as the other way around. The latter happens more, obviously. But it doesn't excuse racism towards white people either.
You are ignoring the reasoning behind the punch, if race isn't an issue and it's one man punching another man, then it isn't racist. Otherwise historical context comes back into it...

SwansonsTache

Out of interest, do you have much personal experience of racism against you as a white guy?

That's another recurring theme in this debate. White people getting upset about not being allowed to accuse people of being racist towards them, when chances are this is mainly because nobody has ever been racist towards them. It's hard to have any sympathy for hypothetical racism when the other side of the debate is full of people who are experiencing, you know, actual racism.
No I have not, not that there would have been much chance of that here in Western Norway though, not very diverse over here.

Funnily enough I've experienced it during work travels in Trinidad, but I ascribe that more to me being in a supervisory position so "bossy white feck" and "white fecking prick" etc probably was just handy things to call me :lol:

Discussion started out about this movie\series specifically, and I just pointed out that it won't be racist against whites if the same can't be said if the roles in the series\movie was reversed. Didn't want this to descend into a discussion about systematic and historical racism though.

Drainy

I'm often reduced to tears over thoughts of my ancestors and many like them being enslaved by the whip of the black man.
Did your ancestors own slaves? Likelihood is that they didn't, and even if they did it shouldn't affect how other people interact with you on an individual level.

Content of your character and all that..

Maybe I'm just an idealist, but what is acceptable for a person to say or do to another should be applicable in reverse without a 'class' based context.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

I know you're not addressing me but person A punching person B because of the colour of their skin is, thankfully, a very rare occurrence.

And when it happens you're not going to get much argument from anyone about whether or not it's an example of someone being racist. It all gets a lot less black and white (no pun intended) when you're dealing with the much more widespread and more subtle forms of racism that people deal with on a day to day basis. It's very hard to think of any white person being significantly inconvenienced by racism in their daily life. Certainly not when they live in a predominantly white culture like the UK or the US (or Norway) so the whole debate about whether or not white people can experience racism seems like such a non-issue that it seems weird for anyone to care about it.

All of which means that it's - at best - insensitive to choose a topic with such hideous historical baggage to try and win a point-scoring contest on the internet. Basically, white people should shut the feck up about people being racist towards white people until it's actually a problem worthy of discussion.

Last edited:

Tarrou

Did your ancestors own slaves? Likelihood is that they didn't, and even if they did it shouldn't affect how other people interact with you on an individual level.

Maybe I'm just an idealist, but what is acceptable for a person to say or do to another should be applicable in reverse without a 'class' based context.
I agree in an ideal world that should be the case, but like it or not, because of what's gone on in the last few hundred years, the impact of the exact same comment carries a lot more weight for some people as it does for others.

DOTA

Doubt it. As far as I know they were all poor.

There is no reverse. The past happened and its effects are still very real today. To be born white is still an advantage. To be mocked for being white is not the same as to be mocked for being black.