Television 'Dear White People' - Film and Netflix Series (Scores 100 on RT)

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
...Maybe I'm just an idealist, but what is acceptable for a person to say or do to another should be applicable in reverse without a 'class' based context.
Ok my last point on this:

If you were to make a crass rape joke to two people, one who had experience of being raped and one who hadn't, would it not carry different levels of offense? Does the historic context then dictate how something is received regardless of how you meant it?

So if you start to think about how something is received instead of how it was intended, maybe the differences are more clear.

Dir Wangem

I know you're not addressing me but person A punching person B because of the colour of their skin is, thankfully, a very rare occurrence. And when it happens you're not going to get much argument from anyone about whether or not it's an example of someone being racist. It all gets a lot less black and white (no pun intended) when you're dealing with the much more widespread and more subtle forms of racism that people deal with on a day to day basis. It's very hard to think of any white person being significantly inconvenienced by racism in their daily life. Certainly not when they live in a predominantly white culture like the UK or the US (or Norway) so the whole debate about whether or not white people can experience racism seems like such a pointless non-issue that it seems weird for anyone to care about it.
I agree with everything you say, except for the last bolded part. We need to knock down all forms of racism and stop trying to make up excuses for it.

A few weeks back, a white kid was kidnapped and tortured for days by 4 black kids. In the video, they repeatedly suggest that the white kid deserves it because he(she?) is white. Despite this, many people responded that the crime had nothing to do with race. That is so mind-numbingly stupid that I don't know where to even begin...

Fairly recently there have been other incidents as well. White people being blocked from entering Berkley. A white guy being physically held against his will because he had dreads. The list goes on. The point here is that it's idiotic to try and push it under the rug. You don't make progress that way. By all means: focus on the bigger problems! Obviously POC have it worse, and thus their struggles require more attention. But don't ignore racism towards white people when it actually happens. That is neither intelligent nor progressive.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
@vi1lain , @afrocentricity

I'm not saying that context is irrelevant, nor am I suggesting that racism towards white people is even close to as common or detrimental as racism towards black people(for instance) is. I am however saying that racism towards white people can and does happen. A black man punching a white man for being white is just as bad as the other way around. The latter happens more, obviously. But it doesn't excuse racism towards white people either.
That's very true, I was merely asking whether this TV show was being racist towards white people, because I personally don't see it.

Plus I dont actually know any white people who've been victimised because of the colour of their skin.

Dir Wangem

That's very true, I was merely asking whether this TV show was being racist towards white people, because I personally don't see it.
People are so easily insulted these days. I don't see what's racist about that video either.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
People are so easily insulted these days
Maybe so, but many people are f*cked off with our cultural and political leaders telling us, for centuries, that other races are inferior; that women are inferior; that our institutions and elites are near-flawless, if not actually favoured by a God made in (a) Man's image...and so on. It's not just Trump followers and Brexiters who have the right to complain.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Maybe so, but many people are f*cked off with our cultural and political leaders telling us, for centuries, that other races are inferior; that women are inferior; that our institutions and elites are near-flawless, if not actually favoured by a God made in (a) Man's image...and so on. It's not just Trump followers and Brexiters who have the right to complain.
Wow Steve, for a Kardashian stan, you're so woke.

SteveJ

Scout
vi1lain said:
Wow Steve, for a Kardashian stan, you're so woke.
I learned everything I know from Kim's handwritten speech decrying racism, featured in Episode 900000000 or something:

Kim Kardashian said:
I believe the children are our are future
Teach them well and let them lead the way.
Show them all the beauty they possess inside.
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier.
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
(*strings, piano*)

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
r/the_Donald downvote brigaded it. Nothing too see here, just the usual shit of American deplorables. Yes, that's what they are. Deplorables. I won't refrain from calling them what they are anymore.

Runner

it is and i deleted it. i'd appreciate if you unquote me.

I didn't phrase that properly at all. my apologies

Member 39557

I know you're not addressing me but person A punching person B because of the colour of their skin is, thankfully, a very rare occurrence.

And when it happens you're not going to get much argument from anyone about whether or not it's an example of someone being racist. It all gets a lot less black and white (no pun intended) when you're dealing with the much more widespread and more subtle forms of racism that people deal with on a day to day basis. It's very hard to think of any white person being significantly inconvenienced by racism in their daily life. Certainly not when they live in a predominantly white culture like the UK or the US (or Norway) so the whole debate about whether or not white people can experience racism seems like such a non-issue that it seems weird for anyone to care about it.

All of which means that it's - at best - insensitive to choose a topic with such hideous historical baggage to try and win a point-scoring contest on the internet. Basically, white people should shut the feck up about people being racist towards white people until it's actually a problem worthy of discussion.
Rotherham?

I accept that due to the historical context etc, white people are always going to have a hard time justifying any feelings about being victims of racism they might have, but at the same time I'm sure it does happen.
Unfortunately there's so much white guilt about at the moment that it probably stops people speaking out and/or acting on it if they see it. There seems to be an automatic assumption that you're a racist or a knuckle dragger if you mention white people being victims of racism in any way shape or form.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I learned everything I know from Kim's handwritten speech decrying racism, featured in Episode 900000000 or something:
It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great episodes, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful episodes written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on Keeping Up With the Kardashians.

SteveJ

Scout
Bill said:
Rotherham?

I accept that due to the historical context etc, white people are always going to have a hard time justifying any feelings about being victims of racism they might have, but at the same time I'm sure it does happen.
Unfortunately there's so much white guilt about at the moment that it probably stops people speaking out and/or acting on it if they see it.
I think 'white guilt' is a smaller part of the problem - IMO, the reluctance of the police & other authorities to act decisively is likely down to institutional self-interest rather than emotions.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
So what is the show about?
If it's anything like the movie, then it basically satirises race relations.
Talks about internal conflict and contradictions within the black community surrounding race, and race related issues, what it means to "be black" etc.
From the white side you've got the white guilt, black face, interracial dating and the sexualisation associated with it etc.

When I watched it I enjoyed the movie, I felt like it only touched on subjects, sometimes briefly, without really discussing them at depth, so hopefully the TV show gives the added depth.

SteveJ

Scout
*rambles on though no-one is reading*

Actually, Kim's recent comments about racism were quite frankly unbelievable and, to everyone's surprise, grounded in self-interest. The Kardashians, bar Caitlyn, have always desperately yearned to be black...but only temporarily, and in the manner of the anti-heroine of Pulp's Common People. The comments were more-or-less like this:

Martin Luther Kim: "Until I became Kanye's beard wife, I didn't realise that he was black. This one time, a white guy said something mean to him, and I cried. We as white people should never forget how we stole their teepees. As Malcom Eggs once said: 'No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my jewellery.' Or something like that. Don't do drugs. Hashtag."

Last edited:

caid

It was a good movie, it rips the piss out of absolutely everyone.
It was pretty good humoured and didn't seem that controversial really.
It was a bit American centric

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Tbh I'm the type who gets annoyed at things like people saying racism against whites is impossible or the attempts to change the definition of racism to include "power/privilege" in the aggressing party.

That said, there's absolutely nothing in this. It's laughable the backlash it's getting from the alt right manbabies. I don't think any of them have actually watched it. In the movie, the titular girl is mocked.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Right-wingers being precious snowflakes AGAIN?

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I do fear with things like this (and this is judging from the trailer) that it's not a way of including white people in a joke but more of a revenge fantasy.
Fear thou not, for I am not under the impression this will be like Django Unchained.

Seriously though, I'm not sure what you meant by that. It's a satirical comedy film from 2014 that's being made into a TV-series by Netflix, keeping the same title.

Eriku

Actually, Kim's recent comments about racism were quite frankly unbelievable and, to everyone's surprise, grounded in self-interest. The Kardashians, bar Caitlyn, have always desperatey yearned to be black...but only temporarily, and in the manner of the anti-heroine of Pulp's Common People. The comments were more-or-less like this:

Martin Luther Kim: "Until I became Kanye's beard wife, I didn't realise that he was black. This one time, a white guy said something mean to him, and I cried. We as white people should never forget how we stole their teepees. As Malcom Eggs once said: 'No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my jewellery.' Or something like that. Don't do drugs. Hashtag."
Ahahahah :lol:

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Actually, Kim's recent comments about racism were quite frankly unbelievable and, to everyone's surprise, grounded in self-interest. The Kardashians, bar Caitlyn, have always desperatey yearned to be black...but only temporarily, and in the manner of the anti-heroine of Pulp's Common People. The comments were more-or-less like this:

:lol::lol: I can't tell whether you hate her, or whether you love to hate her because your satire commentary on her is great

SteveJ

Scout
Tbh, and as much as I try to be funny about her, I think Kim is the victim in the Kardashians story. Even the stupidity I mock is 99% down to willing neglect by her uncaring mother (IMO).

SteveJ

Scout
Admit it Steve, you want to be suffocated by her ample assets.
:lol:

I'm tempted to write a regular thread about the Klowns and their nefarious exploits, just so I can stop boring people about them in other Caf threads.

Member 39557

:lol:

I'm tempted to write a regular thread about the Klowns and their nefarious exploits, just so I can stop boring people about them in other Caf threads.
I've never seen their show, or been interested in the slightest. I feel like I absorb everything I need to know from your comments.

SteveJ

Scout
Sorry 'bout that, Bill.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I've never seen their show, or been interested in the slightest. I feel like I absorb everything I need to know from your comments.
This.

I rely on Steve to keep me up to date.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You don't want to watch their show, believe me. There's definitely hypnosis going on.