Television 'Dear White People' - Film and Netflix Series (Scores 100 on RT)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Bill said:
I've never seen their show, or been interested in the slightest. I feel like I absorb everything I need to know from your comments.
DOTA said:
I rely on Steve to keep me up to date.

kidbob

Weren't Channel 4 going to do a famine comedy or something? I wouldn't have minded having a look at that to be honest.

Minimalist

I assumed it was satire. Racism (even against white people) has come a long way and is hell of a lot more insidious.

Don't know why /TheDonald and other right-wingers are so annoyed anyway - surely they're not the sensitive special snowflakes in the world, are they?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Fear thou not, for I am not under the impression this will be like Django Unchained.

Seriously though, I'm not sure what you meant by that. It's a satirical comedy film from 2014 that's being made into a TV-series by Netflix, keeping the same title.
It could be although with Django I knew it was always anti slave owner and not anti white

Drainy

Doubt it. As far as I know they were all poor.

There is no reverse. The past happened and its effects are still very real today. To be born white is still an advantage. To be mocked for being white is not the same as to be mocked for being black.
I don't doubt that being born white is advantageous in some respects, but that does not, as a point of principle mean that holding prejudicial views towards a person who is white is any more morally justifiable than a person who has white skin holding prejudicial views against people who do not.

I have far more in common with non-white people who occupy this earth with me now than I do with people who lived long before I was born with whom the only thing we hold in common is the colour of our skin.

To me the concept that racism is something that can only be done by people of higher social privilege is just an alien idea. To me, as a massive liberal, speech is one thing- you have the freedom to say pretty much what you want and people have the freedom to present their views and to not associate with you if they cannot tolerate what you say.

When you get into the things that genuinely matter; differential treatment by the state, denial of access to the jobs market, physical assault etc. These would hold a similar impact to the victims of a prejudice no matter the race and should not be treated differently based on the 'class' of the person involved.

Ok my last point on this:

If you were to make a crass rape joke to two people, one who had experience of being raped and one who hadn't, would it not carry different levels of offense? Does the historic context then dictate how something is received regardless of how you meant it?

So if you start to think about how something is received instead of how it was intended, maybe the differences are more clear.
The rape joke would likely affect the person who is a rape survivor more than someone who has not experienced it.
The offended-ness of the person who you spoke to does not, in my view, change whether saying something was morally justified or not.

I don't think anyone is justified in holding prejudiced views, irrespective of whether it matters to the victim or not. I think it is only logical to try and view others as individuals and not hold any 'class based' biases.

bucky

@SwansonsTache What the movie has to say about it:

Dean Fairbanks: Your show is racist.

Sam White: Black people can't be racist. Prejudice, yes, but not racist. Racism describes a system of disadvantage based on race. Black people can't be racist since we don't stand to benefit from such a system.

*rambles on though no-one is reading*

Actually, Kim's recent comments about racism were quite frankly unbelievable and, to everyone's surprise, grounded in self-interest. The Kardashians, bar Caitlyn, have always desperately yearned to be black...but only temporarily, and in the manner of the anti-heroine of Pulp's Common People. The comments were more-or-less like this:

Martin Luther Kim: "Until I became Kanye's beard wife, I didn't realise that he was black. This one time, a white guy said something mean to him, and I cried. We as white people should never forget how we stole their teepees. As Malcom Eggs once said: 'No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my jewellery.' Or something like that. Don't do drugs. Hashtag."
:lol:

The triggered snowflakes are amusing and unsurprising at the same time.

bucky

The comment section on the youtube promo is just depressing. I'm a snowflake, it seems.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
@bucky
Sam White: Black people can't be racist. Prejudice, yes, but not racist. Racism describes a system of disadvantage based on race. Black people can't be racist since we don't stand to benefit from such a system.
I'm confused over this. What is the system of disadvantage? And why can't black people benefit from a system like this? If we are talking about institutional power then it is not like there aren't black people who hold institutional power.

This might be a bad example but Robert Mugabe took away land from white farmers, is this an act of racism as he used institutional power to disadvantage certain people based on the colour of their skin, and didn't black people in Zimbabwe benefit from this by receiving land?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Comedy is supposed to make you feel a bit uncomfortable. The best stuff pushes the limits of acceptability and sometimes goes beyond.

Plus, white people deserve to be on the end of a bit of racism.

Charlie Foley

I assumed it was satire. Racism (even against white people) has come a long way and is hell of a lot more insidious.

Don't know why /TheDonald and other right-wingers are so annoyed anyway - surely they're not the sensitive special snowflakes in the world, are they?
Nail on head.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Comedy is supposed to make you feel a bit uncomfortable. The best stuff pushes the limits of acceptability and sometimes goes beyond.

Why do white people "deserve" to be on the end of racism? Most have little to do with how their ancestors thought about black people.

Brocky

We will never see an end to racial discrimination, sadly. Why? Because of a human being's inability to operate without placing labels on things.

You write an article about a person punching/verbally abusing/robbing another person and it's just that. You say that a person has big lips and it's just that. You make fun of someone for having no rhythm and it's just that. As soon as any kind of label - race, colour, belief and so-on - are introduced to the content, then it inherently becomes about prejudice and not just a conflict, observation or opinion.

Before we're even born, we're biologically programmed to label things because it makes things easier to compute. Natural and applied education, as well as influences from peers as we grow up, only reinforces this way of viewing the world. Educating individual minds to de-label is the only answer and is obviously a seemingly impossible task.

As human beings we can only try to think of, and label eachother as simply that....human beings. Even that, however, is a drop in the ocean. It's very sad.

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
@bucky

I'm confused over this. What is the system of disadvantage? And why can't black people benefit from a system like this? If we are talking about institutional power then it is not like there aren't black people who hold institutional power.

This might be a bad example but Robert Mugabe took away land from white farmers, is this an act of racism as he used institutional power to disadvantage certain people based on the colour of their skin, and didn't black people in Zimbabwe benefit from this by receiving land?
How did the white farmers obtain the land in the first place?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
How did the white farmers obtain the land in the first place?
Their ancestors for lack of a better word stole it. However it was their ancestor which did it. Do two wrongs make a right in this case? I don't know. I'm not sure how land ownership worked in Zimbabwe prior to colonialism but I'll certain land belonged to certain tribes, was the right land given to the right people (i.e. the descendants of those who land was taken)?

bucky

@bucky

You seriously go with that line of thinking, when Jeff Sessions was just confirmed?

Or when you see this?

How many more examples like the one you named can you provide? I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing there aren't as many white people actually suffering from racism (or have suffered) compared to other ethnicities. It obviously depends what part of the world you're in or what century. For example Asian Americans can suffer from racism in the US, while African Americans could suffer from racism in China. But this an American show, so it will obviously will prioritise what's going on in the Western world.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@bucky, I think that I see one on the far right of the first picture.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
You seriously go with that line of thinking, when Jeff Sessions was just confirmed?

Or when you see this?

How many more examples like the one you named can you provide? I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing there aren't as many white people actually suffering from racism (or have suffered) compared to other ethnicities. It obviously depends what part of the world you're in or what century. For example Asian Americans can suffer from racism in the US, while African Americans could suffer from racism in China. But this an American show, so it will obviously will prioritise what's going on in the Western world.
This has been the situation for around a month, let's not just forget the last 8 years where there was a black president. Did Obama use his power to disadvantage or discriminate against white people? No of course not, but could he have? It's possible. If racism is dependent on location then we cannot say things like "black people cannot be racist" but rather "Black people in America cannot be racist". I could look for more examples of black people who hold institutional power, but the first one who comes to mind is Clarence Thomas. I know black people hold less institutional power than white people in America but saying black people don't hold it is untrue.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Their ancestors for lack of a better word stole it. However it was their ancestor which did it. Do two wrongs make a right in this case? I don't know. I'm not sure how land ownership worked in Zimbabwe prior to colonialism but I'll certain land belonged to certain tribes, was the right land given to the right people (i.e. the descendants of those who land was taken)?
Their ancestor's did it but they're still benefiting from it. Black natives became tenants or worked on the farms themselves. White farmers often had the land which was rich and fertile and received the most waterfall, then would segregate themselves from black natives too.

Not saying that what Mugabe did was right, but I don't really have much sympathy either

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Their ancestor's did it but they're still benefiting from it. Black natives became tenants or worked on the farms themselves. White farmers often had the land which was rich and fertile and received the most waterfall, then would segregate themselves from black natives too.

Not saying that what Mugabe did was right, but I don't really have much sympathy either
I can understand that, but going back to what I was saying before is this not an instance of somebody using institutional power to discriminate against another race?

Maybe this is a better example but Idi Amin used his power to expel Indians from Uganda, is this not an example of a black person being racist?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I can understand that, but going back to what I was saying before is this not an instance of somebody using institutional power to discriminate against another race?

Maybe this is a better example but Idi Amin used his power to expel Indians from Uganda, is this not an example of a black person being racist?
As long as minorities exist, racism exists. So, yes a black person can be racist even though in Africa it's more about ethnicism than racism.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Aren't Asian people (older generations mainly) quite racist too?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This has been the situation for around a month, let's not just forget the last 8 years where there was a black president. Did Obama use his power to disadvantage or discriminate against white people? No of course not, but could he have? It's possible. If racism is dependent on location then we cannot say things like "black people cannot be racist" but rather "Black people in America cannot be racist". I could look for more examples of black people who hold institutional power, but the first one who comes to mind is Clarence Thomas. I know black people hold less institutional power than white people in America but saying black people don't hold it is untrue.
Seriously? Obama was one man. Congress, Senate etc etc.
Also Obama didn't want to discriminate against white people, whereas you have plenty of white people in places of power in America who seek to discriminate.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Put it like this.
We can point to individual instances where black person holds power over another and uses that power to deny that other person rights to whatever it is.

Yes it happens, yes it's possible, but realistically how often does it happen? How many people does it impact? Is this a recurring theme? (Mugabe even invited the white farmers back )

Now on a much larger scale, historically the people in power globally have been white. Law makers, law enforcers, job creators, job givers, loan givers etc.

So with that being said, black people using their power to deny white people rights is possible, but if it happens so infrequently is it really worth diverting the conversation? Especially since people of colour continue to be victims of racism?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Seriously? Obama was one man. Congress, Senate etc etc.
Also Obama didn't want to discriminate against white people, whereas you have plenty of white people in places of power in America who seek to discriminate.
One man but the most powerful man, like I said white people hold the majority of power but there was a black person with probably the most institutional power an individual can hold in America.

Put it like this.
We can point to individual instances where black person holds power over another and uses that power to deny that other person rights to whatever it is.

Yes it happens, yes it's possible, but realistically how often does it happen? How many people does it impact? Is this a recurring theme? (Mugabe even invited the white farmers back )

Now on a much larger scale, historically the people in power globally have been white. Law makers, law enforcers, job creators, job givers, loan givers etc.

So with that being said, black people using their power to deny white people rights is possible, but if it happens so infrequently is it really worth diverting the conversation? Especially since people of colour continue to be victims of racism?
If it can happen even it seldom happens then it means black people can be racist and have been racist. I'm just arguing with what Sam White said. It might sound I'm like I'm nitpicking but I believe you have to be precise when talking of issues like this.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole

Was looking for the white text

bucky

So, semantics? That's your issue here?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
*points* SnowJ Simpson!

Sorry - couldn't resist the bad pun.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
If it can happen even it seldom happens then it means black people can be racist and have been racist. I'm just arguing with what Sam White said. It might sound I'm like I'm nitpicking but I believe you have to be precise when talking of issues like this.
Like I said - is it worth diverting the conversation?

It just seems like a convenient way to deflect from the actual issue, an easy way to say that white people can be oppressed too even though it isn't comparable to the scale of racism that people of colour have, and continue to go through.

So if you want to nitpick, sure.