Gaming Death Stranding 2

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The trailer just keeps going :lol:

Didn't finish the first but plan to revisit it, it was a hard slog at times and sometimes hardly even a game.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
No-one cares about another walking simulator - Hades 2 has been announced.

Smores

Can't wait for this, first was one of the best games of recent years. Although I did play the enhanced version rather than the launch one.

Hope I can deliver some more pizza.

Ekeke

Super lost interest in the first one. Unless there are some drastic differences to the gameplay to make it more engaging I doubt I'll look at a 2nd one. I'll just go for a walk outside

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm sure the first was a great game, but like most modern Kojima games, it was unbearably slow early on at least and I couldn't be arsed getting into it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm sure the first was a great game, but like most modern Kojima games, it was unbearably slow early on at least and I couldn't be arsed getting into it.
This. Felt like a massive slog and I gave it 4/5 hours.

b82REZ

This a fair criticism and is part of the problem now Kojima has gone indie. He has noone to stop him making tediously boring cut scenes and a story with constant exposition.

But he always salvages it with amazing gameplay. This game shouldn't have worked but it's the most unique game I've ever played.

Ainu

This a fair criticism and is part of the problem now Kojima has gone indie. He has noone to stop him making tediously boring cut scenes and a story with constant exposition.

But he always salvages it with amazing gameplay. This game shouldn't have worked but it's the most unique game I've ever played.
You mean like they stopped him in MGS 4 when it was still at Konami?

b82REZ

You mean like they stopped him in MGS 4 when it was still at Konami?
Fair enough. But I'm sure he would have had some QA making stop his shit cutscenes. MGS4 ruined the franchise for me. I couldn't get through the hour long cut scenes, they were so bad.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's not a massive surprise the original game wasn't for everyone. It was a slow burner, the type which rewards patience and only reveals itself at the mid-journey, particularly in its allusions to the futility of existence. We live in a world after all where people would rather check in to latest Chris Pratt hot mess than muse over a Bela Tarr masterpiece. I'm not here to judge though. That'll be Osiris' job when you're on a one way trip to the Netherworld. My condolences to your kin in advance.

Ainu

Fair enough. But I'm sure he would have had some QA making stop his shit cutscenes. MGS4 ruined the franchise for me. I couldn't get through the hour long cut scenes, they were so bad.
I actually prefer the structure of Death Stranding. In general, it felt like the extremely long cutscenes were limited to the start and end of the game, with long periods of more or less uninterrupted gameplay being the main component of the game (with the odd exception here and there, it's still Kojima after all). And for all its faults, MGS V was sort of similar in that regard. The gameplay in both those games is strong enough to make them worth it.

Still though, there's no denying his games would be a lot better if he stopped trying to be a pseudo-intellectual Hollywood director, or whatever he's attempting. He's a terrible storyteller.

Massive Spanner

It's not a massive surprise the game won't be for everyone. It was a slow burner, the type which rewards patience and only reveals itself at the mid-journey. We live in a world were people would rather watch the latest Chris Pratt mess than check into a Bela Tarr masterpiece. I'm not here to judge though. That'll be Osiris' role when you're on a one way trip to the Netherworld. My condolences to your kin in advance.
What a load of waffle. I’ve played plenty of very long slow burns like Persona 5 and loved them. The big problem with Death Stranding is that the gameplay mechanics are dull as shit early on. People can disagree with that which is fine but if a game is going to trawl through the opening part then it still needs to show something for it to be worth keeping going.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
What a load of waffle. I’ve played plenty of very long slow burns like Persona 5 and loved them. The big problem with Death Stranding is that the gameplay mechanics are dull as shit early on. People can disagree with that which is fine but if a game is going to trawl through the opening part then it still needs to show something for it to be worth keeping going.
I can dig it. The game didn't grow on me until after the first boss when you leave the first location but after that I was hooked.

Even then, I suppose it only properly opens up when you begin to streamline deliveries through building roads and cable cars (a strangely addictive loop).

I think Persona 5 is similar. The first 10 or so hours have intrigue but it doesn't properly git going until after you recruit at least Makoto.

Massive Spanner

I can dig it. The game didn't grow on me until after the first boss when you leave the first location but after that I was hooked.

Even then, I suppose it only properly opens up when you begin to streamline deliveries through building roads and cable cars (a strangely addictive loop).

I think Persona 5 is similar. The first 10 or so hours have intrigue but it doesn't properly git going until after you recruit at least Makoto.
I love JRPG's so I could see the potential of P5 with the mechanics they were slowly introducing and the world building of the game. It was unbearably slow at times but those felt worth it. The problem with DS is that it is just a load of walking around and balancing yourself for the first ten hours, there was nothing there to suggest that I'd enjoy the gameplay so it didn't feel worth continuing at all. I'm sure it does improve later on but time is limited and if after 10 hours of playing a game you haven't any clue what the feck it's even about or what the overall gameplay is supposed to be then it's not worth it (for me).

Ekeke

Whats so engaging about the gameplay in the first one later on? I saw that you can throw some grenades to stop the shadowlike enemies after a bit. But what turns around in the gameplay so much from earlier on where you're just backpacking and avoiding enemies on your journey, or throwing some grenades in their area?

Ainu

Funny that you guys mention Persona 5. Death Stranding was a game that gave me a sense of freedom after a slow start. At first it was just the freedom of finding my own preferred route from point A to B, later on it was setting objectives for myself in terms of what sort of infrastructure I wanted to implement and then working towards that goal. All the while maintaining that "zen" like experience, to use a cliché term. Well, at least outside of BT and combat encounters, which definitely got the heart rate up.

Persona 5 on the other, literally never felt like it opened up. It started like an extremely slow tutorial and remained constrained throughout the 100+ hours I spent on it. I don't see a comparison between two slow games, I see a comparison between a game that is usually played at a leisurely pace and a game that almost constantly wants to interrupt the player instead of letting them play it. Nothing about the endlessly repeated dialogue in Persona 5 felt like it added anything of value and only led to frustration.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Whats so engaging about the gameplay in the first one later on? I saw that you can throw some grenades to stop the shadowlike enemies after a bit. But what turns around in the gameplay so much from earlier on where you're just backpacking and avoiding enemies on your journey, or throwing some grenades in their area?
I don't know how to describe it but for me it's the thrill of constantly dancing with death. You're doing a fairly mundane activity (carrying shit) but it's fraught with danger: an odd mixture between banal and exciting that really captured my attention.

The boss fights where you're forced into proper combat were probably the least interesting parts for me, though they are a nice break. As @Ainu says below, it has a calming zen-like experience but coupled with some intense moments.

Funny that you guys mention Persona 5. Death Stranding was a game that gave me a sense of freedom after a slow start. At first it was just the freedom of finding my own preferred route from point A to B, later on it was setting objectives for myself in terms of what sort of infrastructure I wanted to implement and then working towards that goal. All the while maintaining that "zen" like experience, to use a cliché term. Well, at least outside of BT and combat encounters, which definitely got the heart rate up.

Persona 5 on the other, literally never felt like it opened up. It started like an extremely slow tutorial and remained constrained throughout the 100+ hours I spent on it. I don't see a comparison between two slow games, I see a comparison between a game that is usually played at a leisurely pace and a game that almost constantly wants to interrupt the player instead of letting them play it. Nothing about the endlessly repeated dialogue in Persona 5 felt like it added anything of value and only led to frustration.
I'm assuming MS brought up the comparison to refer to pacing but you're right, Persona 5 is a very linear RPG masquerading as semi-open world. I don't think it gives you freedom beyond the choice of which confidant you want to hang out with.

I still really like it mind but skipped most of the dialogue and never felt like I missed a story beat. It repeats itself far too much for that.

Ekeke

I don't know how to describe it but for me it's the thrill of constantly dancing with death. You're doing a fairly mundane activity (carrying shit) but it's fraught with danger: an odd mixture between banal and exciting that really captured my attention.

The boss fights where you're forced into proper combat were probably the least interesting parts for me, though they are a nice break.
So you just thought it was fun dodging the mechanics? Okay fair enough. I think I understand

Massive Spanner

Fair, won't argue with that, though that's pretty much standard JRPG isn't it? I was only using Persona 5 because it's also a really slow burn of a game. Clearly for me it was a much easier game to get into than Death Stranding, for you and others it wasn't. It was an example of how just because I didn't like Death Stranding it doesn't mean I don't like games that take their time and only like games that give instant gratification, like some dope suggested :)

Sweet Square

Looking forward to sequel. The first one was at its best like a Tarkosky film, really incredible.

b82REZ

Really well put

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I care. I platinum the first one:lol:
That's because you're a smart person. Death Stranding wasn't remotely a "walking simulator", only smooth brained chavs think that. Death Stranding was an experience like no other.

Ok, maybe a bit too far but it was fecking awesome. The boss battles were amazing. The combat system and overall mechanics in that "walking simulator" are infinitely better than a lot of these franchise games that roll out every year with the same three "go here, kill this, press that" routine over and over. But some folk played two hours and gave up because the game didn't immediately throw them into the fire and instead tried to *gasp* build the story and world up.

Haters can go burn in hell. Can't wait for the next game. Baby in a Jar 4 Lyf.

stu_1992

I understand why the first isn't for everyone, particularily the slow start but I loved it and I'm hyped for the next one. Finally something that'll make me get a PS5.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

A24, the studio behind Academy Award winning films such as Everything Everywhere All At Once has announced a collaboration with KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS to adapt Hideo Kojima's acclaimed video game, DEATH STRANDING, into a live-action feature film.

The announcement comes ahead of KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS, 8th Anniversary on 16th December marking a new milestone in video game to film adaptations. The film promises to delve into the mysteries surrounding the apocalyptic event called the "Death Stranding", which blurred the lines between life and death, and brought forth nightmarish creatures into a world on the brink of collapse.

Hailed as the architect of the stealth genre and a pioneer in interactive storytelling, Hideo Kojima continually shifts the boundaries between film and game. Widely considered the father of the stealth genre, he is also credited with innovating both story-telling and cinematic presentation in video games at large. In 2020, Hideo Kojima received the BAFTA Fellowship, the highest accolade bestowed by BAFTA upon an individual in recognition of exceptional contribution to film, games or television.

Hideo Kojima said: "A24 was born into this world about 10 years ago, their presence is singular within the industry, they are like no other. The films they are delivering to the world are high in quality and very innovative. I have been attracted to their creations and they have even inspired my own work. Their innovative approach to storytelling aligns with what Kojima Productions has been doing for the last 8 years. Now, we are making a Death Stranding movie together. There are a lot of "game adaptation films" out there but what we are creating is not just a direct translation of the game. The intention is that our audience will not only be fans of the games, but our film will be for anyone who loves cinema. We are creating a Death Stranding universe that has never been seen before, achievable only through the medium of film, it will be born."

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What's the point? Will they just the use the same actors or does he dump them for someone more high profile like with Hayter/Sutherland?

Kojima is like Mourinho, long past his best. His fawning over Hollywood is cringe too.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What's the point? Will they just the use the same actors or does he dump them for someone more high profile like with Hayter/Sutherland?

Kojima is like Mourinho, long past his best. His fawning over Hollywood is cringe too.
Yeah, I agree there.