Gaming Death Stranding

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Those all sound great. What's the problem?

“Incredible acting and talent aside, let’s look at the actual gameplay loop in Death Stranding. It is very difficult to boil things down to one simple mechanic, as throughout the game, it will change and evolve one piece at a time. If I had to choose one aspect to focus on, at least at first, it would be the deliveries.“

I mean this is the highest review on metacritic and the reviewer cannot pinpoint what exactly a game does except that he’s a delivery man?

While Death Stranding will surely be the most divisive game of this generation, there is no arguing that it offers new ideas on pushing the medium forward and shows that games don't always typically have to be "fun"
That’s one of the top reviews as well, I mean why in the hell would you want to play something if it isn’t ”fun” to play?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
“Incredible acting and talent aside, let’s look at the actual gameplay loop in Death Stranding. It is very difficult to boil things down to one simple mechanic, as throughout the game, it will change and evolve one piece at a time. If I had to choose one aspect to focus on, at least at first, it would be the deliveries.“

I mean this is the highest review on metacritic and the reviewer cannot pinpoint what exactly a game does except that he’s a delivery man?

That’s one of the top reviews as well, I mean why in the hell would you want to play something if it isn’t ”fun” to play?
Becuase experiences can be enjoyable without being fun in the traditional sense. I enjoyed Joker but it wasn't a fun fun movie. You clearly can't grasp others liking what you wouldn't

amolbhatia50k

Kojima?

This is from the top reviews on metacritic

It can be different and good without typical self indulgence from Kojima. Shadow of Colossus, Horizon Zero Dawn come to mind of the top of my head.
Sounds great to me.

And you don't like Kojima that's fine. Others do. I think despite the self indulgence he's fanstastic. A lot of great films are self indulgent too.

evil_geko

From what I have seen I am going to love this, can't wait to be honest. Like I predicted, it's not for everyone, especially for people that are only looking for some fast paced quick fun that video game market is oversaturated with these days, this is right up my alley!

Oh and yeah, IGN continues to be a joke, nothing strange there.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
This is one of the short quotes from a Metacritic review (it was literally like fifth down):

"An experiment extraordinaire, Death Stranding is a game like no other. Full of repetition and lengthy chores, yet ingenious and philosophical in its own accord. It is a sight to behold, and something you have to dedicate your whole month if you want to witness its true potential."

'Full of repetition'; 'lengthy chores'; 'dedicate a whole month' -- these buzzwords somehow warranted a 90 rating from PLAY!Zine (whoever they are). How does this sound like an enjoyable video game?

It just feels like this pseudo-intellectual gatekeeping is an elaborate inside joke I'm not a part of. As though you are a real gamer because you endured 80 hours of filling your backpack correctly to ensure you deliver the fetch quest correctly.
Look at the state of this qoute, saw it on another website...

Danny O'Dwyer: the game is boring and that's ok and games don't need to be fun
Fully convinced that all positive reviews are from those types who sniff their own farts and are desperate for games to be considered a lofty art-form because they never got employed to write for "high-brow" art and had to resort to reviewing games and they still feel it's below them.

Twats.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Look at the state of this qoute, saw it on another website...

Fully convinced that all positive reviews are from those types who sniff their own farts and are desperate for games to be considered a lofty art-form because they never got employed to write for "high-brow" art and had to resort to reviewing games and they still feel it's below them.

Twats.
To be fair, he also said:

I’d find it impossible to stick a number on a game like #DeathStranding but I’m very surprised by how many 10s it’s getting. I read the IGN review first and was like “yeah, that’s probably about right”. I can’t wait for the public to have a go. Twitch & YouTube are gonna be nuts

Morpheus 7

From what I have seen I am going to love this, can't wait to be honest. Like I predicted, it's not for everyone, especially for people that are only looking for some fast paced quick fun that video game market is oversaturated with these days, this is right up my alley!

Oh and yeah, IGN continues to be a joke, nothing strange there.
Each to his own and all, I agree that ign are a joke too. I'm a huge metal gear fan but this sounds tedious because of the length. Over 60 hours of being a courier with cut scenes. I was initially excited with the first few trailers but worried when they held back demo's ect showing gameplay. I'm still intrigued at the world created but will wait for a big price drop.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Even if the reviews are shite i'll still play it because of Kojima.

amolbhatia50k

Not fun but an Important experience? Sounds like my marriage and I won’t be doing that again.
:lol: More like having kids which people say is a grind but well worth it.

Think you guys ghasping at the boring/repetitive thing a bit much. Plenty of much loved and successful games are at their heart grindy and dull. For example there's no chance games like Warframe, Destiny etc are great fun to play. It's grindy repetitive shit which feels good because of the reward (for others, it's not my thing). Games like GTA have absolutely terrible game mechanics yet are adopted by the gaming community.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Actually sounds a bit better after reading this review:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/death-stranding

I do quite rate their reviews, usually pretty fair.

I’m also remembering when Skyrim first came out, one of my favourite parts was the actual walking to the destination.

I’m not a massive Kojima fan really, MGS3 was as far as I could tolerate, his bullshit cutscenes just wear me down but this seems different enough to give it a go.

edit: if you can leave sign around the landscape I wonder if you are completely free to type what you want ... could be hilarious.

Last edited:

Nickosaur

Saw edge didn't give this game a score as they couldn't bring themselves to finish it.

That's pretty damning.

Sweet Square

Twats.
:lol:

Kojima fans are just awful.

Art shouldn't just be fun(Most great art isn't fun)but christ it really shouldn't be boring at all.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I have the luxury of getting this for my GF so it's not a waste if I don't like it because she no doubt will.

I must say I am intrigued though, however the lack of "fun" is pretty laughable. I mean I get what people mean with grinding stuff, but I personally enjoy that in games. I wouldn't play stuff that isn't entertaining me :lol:

evil_geko

"Boring" is subjective though, from what I have seen, this game is right up my alley, while I find games like Overwatch, most FPS shooters, MOBA's, Battle Royale's etc all boring af.

I am loving all these salty reviewers not being able to finish the game. Go and give new CoD 10's, cheers! :lol:

Shark

@NotShark
I had a feeling this would be rubbish. It’s always concerning when you get so little gameplay coming up to a games release.

Nickosaur

I don't know, just sounds unprofessional to be honest. Surely they've reviewed worse games.
Developer said they could only review it if they finished it. Edge couldn't, despite putting 40 hours into it, and they've been completely open with that. Not unprofessional at all.

Paxi

Developer said they could only review it if they finished it. Edge couldn't, despite putting 40 hours into it, and they've been completely open with that. Not unprofessional at all.
I find it slightly odd that a developer requests to see the game through till the end. It’s as if they’re under the impression that once you see the ending you’ll suddenly grasp what the game is about. That it’s some transformative, enlightening experience.

In reality, I can usually tell if I’m going to enjoy the game in the first 3 hours or so. Even less more often than not. For instance, I still haven’t played through The Witcher but I know fine rightly that once I’ll get into it properly, I’ll not put it down. Those guys at Edge, felt like it was a chore to play, I’m sure of that. Also, 40 hours is long fecking time!

Amarsdd

"Boring" is subjective though, from what I have seen, this game is right up my alley, while I find games like Overwatch, most FPS shooters, MOBA's, Battle Royale's etc all boring af.

I am loving all these salty reviewers not being able to finish the game. Go and give new CoD 10's, cheers! :lol:
This is exactly my thought when it comes to gaming! Based on the negative reviews I've read/heard, it's almost as if they were expecting Gears of War sort of game from Kojima.

Redlambs

Of course it is. Which is why I might read some reviews occasionally, but never trust them. They are just someone else's opinions after all.

Always best to try it for yourself.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Of course it is. Which is why I might read some reviews occasionally, but never trust them. They are just someone else's opinions after all.

Always best to try it for yourself.
If you have the time, if you don't reviews are a great way to pick what you want to try.

Amarsdd

I find it slightly odd that a developer requests to see the game through till the end. It’s as if they’re under the impression that once you see the ending you’ll suddenly grasp what the game is about. That it’s some transformative, enlightening experience.

In reality, I can usually tell if I’m going to enjoy the game in the first 3 hours or so. Even less more often than not. For instance, I still haven’t played through The Witcher but I know fine rightly that once I’ll get into it properly, I’ll not put it down. Those guys at Edge, felt like it was a chore to play, I’m sure of that. Also, 40 hours is long fecking time!
Most of the reviewers who have loved it seem to say they had to get through the first 4-5 hours before getting hooked to the game. So I suppose people who have already made their minds up before that would not like it. Also, another interesting thing is some have finished the game in less than 35hrs and some are only 1/4th the way through at that same time.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
:lol:

Kojima fans are just awful.

Art shouldn't just be fun(Most great art isn't fun)but christ it really shouldn't be boring at all.
Games are not art, of course a lot of pretentious gamers want to say they are sophisticated because they play boring games and they see them as art.

Paxi

Most of the reviewers who have loved it seem to say they had to get through the first 4-5 hours before getting hooked to the game. So I suppose people who have already made their minds up before that would not like it. Also, another interesting thing is some have finished the game in less than 35hrs and some are only 1/4th the way through at that same time.
I take your point. Though, with some reviews, that I seen, they were suggesting that the game isn’t ‘fun’.

Redlambs

If you have the time, if you don't reviews are a great way to pick what you want to try.
Well yes, that and cash. Good thing is there's always a reviewer or two out there who has similar tastes if you look hard enough. However, people do put way to much stock in what they say. Sure use them and read plenty to help decide on a game, but ultimately what they think is a negative might not be for everyone.

At the end of the day, because of who's made it, this game will be harder than most to judge for people. It's one of those where some will want it to be great so bad that they'll convince themselves to love it even if it really is boring and dull. The reviews and fanboy hype have me intrigued personally, luckily as I said above, I can justify getting it :lol:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Well yes, that and cash. Good thing is there's always a reviewer or two out there who has similar tastes if you look hard enough. However, people do put way to much stock in what they say. Sure use them and read plenty to help decide on a game, but ultimately what they think is a negative might not be for everyone.

At the end of the day, because of who's made it, this game will be harder than most to judge for people. It's one of those where some will want it to be great so bad that they'll convince themselves to love it even if it really is boring and dull. The reviews and fanboy hype have me intrigued personally, luckily as I said above, I can justify getting it :lol:
84 is still a very good score, the gameplay loop is not for me though, and because of the budget one would assume this would have been GOTY tier.

Amarsdd

I take your point. Though, with some reviews, that I seen, they were suggesting that the game isn’t ‘fun’.
Personally, I don't need games to be "fun" if it can hook me by whatever means. So, I don't give heed to reviews whose main criticism is that it isn't "fun". It's like reviewing, let's say Schindler's List and criticizing it for not being "fun". There are many games out there which are just "fun" and nothing else, which I don't care for much.

Sweet Square

Games are not art, of course a lot of pretentious gamers want to say they are sophisticated because they play boring games and they see them as art.
I'm not sure I would go that far. 98% of video games are well just games, similar to monopoly or snakes and ladders, still I would say certain video games reach a high level of art - Silent Hill 2/3, Shadow Of The Colossus(Or really anything Team Ico does)and I'm sure there are plenty more games as well.

But

Kojima isn't intersted in making art or attempting to. He's in the business of making shlock

and sometimes he makes very good and entertaining shlock and sometimes he doesn't.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Same. I just think it's an attention thing.

Last edited:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I'm not sure I would go that far. 98% of video games are well just games, similar to monopoly or snakes and ladders, still I would say certain video games reach a high level of art - Silent Hill 2/3, Shadow Of The Colossus(Or really anything Team Ico does)and I'm sure there are plenty more games as well.

But

Kojima isn't intersted in making art or attempting to. He's in the business of making shlock

and sometimes he makes very good and entertaining shlock and sometimes he doesn't.
At the end of the day along with the story comes the gameplay, and that has to be fun for a game to be good, like Shadow of the Colossus.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Plenty of reviewers seemed to have managed just fine.
It's not an easy task, not for everyone.
The issue with the 'games are art' thing is when people say it like that's the end of the conversation.

People need to eloquently express why they think that is before others can agree/disagree.
Yeah true, and I'm not saying it's wrong to think that games are art but sometimes it feels like people put some games on a pedestal and somehow then a boring game is called art, if I have 10 hours a week to spend on gaming why would I use those on something boring?

Ainu

It's not an easy task, not for everyone.
Sure, for people like you and me, but if playing and reviewing video games is your day job, as I would assume is the case with a reviewer writing for Edge, then actually playing and finishing a game is surely the minimum requirement.

I mean, if he really disliked it that much, he owes it to the readers to see it through and properly describe that in a review to inform them of his reasons. The job of reviewer should be to put just as much effort in playing and describing a game he dislikes as one he does like. While we consumers, we just stop playing if we don't like it.