Gaming Death Stranding

Ainu

For me 2 and 3 are equally good and i enjoyed both. Though the series that followed after that went downhill and coincidentally Kojima wasn’t a part of those anymore. Go on mate, you’ll enjoy it
Huh what? Kojima has never been involved with Silent Hill other than PT Demo and the canceled full game Silent Hills. The series went to shit when it was taken away from Team Silent.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Looks very dull.

Also Kojima can never make to two games in a row.

MGS 1 - Good

MGS 2 - Shite

MGS 3 - Good

MGS 4 - Shite

MGS 5 - Good

Well I'm sure the follow up to Death Stranding will be brilliant.
If anything 5 was shite from a story perspective. 2 is so underrated and I love 4.

Selbourne

It's always interesting to me to see what order people rank MGS games in, because it always differs and there's no popular opinion.

MGS 1 - Great

MGS 2 - Great (My favourite one)

MGS 3 -Good

MGS 4 - Average/Bad (Chapter 3 was awful)

MGS 5 - Aids

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm still hopeful. Sure, his stories make absolutely no sense and drag on quite a bit, but I've never been disappointed by the gameplay in a Kojima product. He always creates something that makes you think "this is amazing, why has nobody thought if this mechanic before".

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's always interesting to me to see what order people rank MGS games in, because it always differs and there's no popular opinion.

MGS 1 - Great

MGS 2 - Great (My favourite one)

MGS 3 -Good

MGS 4 - Average/Bad (Chapter 3 was awful)

MGS 5 - Aids
MGS 1 - Great

MGS 2 - Great

MGS 3 - Great

MGS 4 - Great

MGS 5 - Great but ffs dad are we there yet?!

el3mel

MGS5 story was bad but it had the best stealth mechanics I have ever played in a game up till now, to the point I enjoyed doing the repetitive side missions over and over and over again just to keep testing those mechanics.

As for Death Stranding, my expectations for it have been dropping a lot for a long time, due to the way they are marketing the game and the gameplay videos honestly look very uninspiring, though we shall wait and see.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
MGS5 story was bad but it had the best stealth mechanics I have ever played in a game up till now, to the point I enjoyed doing the repetitive side missions over and over and over again just to keep testing those mechanics.

As for Death Stranding, my expectations for it have been dropping a lot for a long time, due to the way they are marketing the game and the gameplay videos honestly look very uninspiring, though we shall wait and see.
The hype for this is a but much but kojima does need to tone down, the whole ambiguity of his games, it gets a bit much at times.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/10/28/death-stranding-is-coming-to-pc-in-2020

Interesting.

So many games coming out right now so if this does somehow turn out to be good I might just wait for the PC version.

Incidentally I thought they were a Sony studio now so I'm surprised it's allowed on anything other than a PS4.
Nah, Sony doesn't own them. They're just publishing the game for the PS4. It's also using the Decima Engine which is owned by Sony, but Kojima's studio is independent.

evil_geko

They did say right at the start that it will have PC version, there just wasn't a date.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The reviews for this are coming out a full week before the game launches?! Kojima must be pretty confident.

I wonder if we've barely scratched the surface of what's in the game. I hope :nervous:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm really interested to see how this game reviews. It's going to sell fine due to Kojima, but i'm not sure how it's going to be received critically.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'll wait for caftards to review this, I am skeptical about this game but intrigued at the same time
Ooft, you're brave. Taking any of our opinions on anything is tricky. I could guarantee you that Gingsters could release a microwaveable steak pie that grants you immortality and half of this place would be complaining about the quality of the gravy in it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Most games "journalists" are right up Kojima's arse, I reckon it's going to get 9's and 10's no matter what.
I think it can go both ways. You're right in the sense that the game will probably get a boost due to his name, but i think you'll get the opposite reaction, too. The people who find him tiresome.

Castia

I had a feeling this game would be a massive turd. It looks very pretentious like a master director has gone too ‘art house’ and fecked over the real fans.

But with reviews coming a week before release usually means they’re very confident, it will probably be an amazing game.

Will wait for pc regardless I’ve got too many games to play, not even started Outer Worlds yet.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

:drool:

Nov 8 can't come soon enough! :devil:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
feck it you know this is going to be a convoluted shit show of a story that makes feck all sense and goes 20 different ways... but... its going to be fecking amazing.

MGS 5 was a shit show of a game and was still amazing and arguably some of the best gameplay on ps4.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Some technical stuff review from Digital Foundry...

Something that already seems like a deal-breaker is the annoyingly recognizable face from the guy in The Walking Dead. He looks likes a less endearing version of Thom Yorke, who doesn’t look endearing to start with. Not sure I can get past that.

{{Standard spoiler warnings}}

littlepeasoup

Everything I've read, watched and listened to about this game has put me off thinking this is something I'd enjoy... so naturally I'll plug 60 hours into it over the next couple of weeks.

My brain is broken.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I wish Days Gone would go down in price so I can buy that instead. At least the combat in it looks fun.

Ainu

Eurogamer gave it a recommended, but they can be really weird with their verdicts. Not the complete disaster I was expecting in any case.

littlepeasoup

I wish Days Gone would go down in price so I can buy that instead. At least the combat in it looks fun.
I honestly think I'll pick this up (rented) just because it just looks like such a fascinating thing (good/bad) but I'll probably just keep playing Destiny 2 and The Outer Worlds until Pokemon comes out.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Reviews are polarizing as I expected, but not on the lines which I envisioned. Common complaint seems to be a slow start, and lack of mechanics in action based combat. I have to play it myself to see what it is. Also, while there are some absolutely savage takes, there are some glowing takes too. Maybe @Damien would post them too. :D

Eh, combat is awful in Days Gone. The guns don't have any feel to them at all.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I sold my PS4 pro in order not to play this.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Lacking gameplay which for a Kojima game sounds bizarre as feck. I guess he just got it wrong this time. It looks like it's got tons of mechanics but not the ones the reviewers were wanting.

It's one of those I'll play at some point, probably five years from now when the kids are older. But it'll be in a queue with Horizon, God of War and Resi 2. Oh, and probably FF VII parts 1, 2 and 3.

Last edited: