Gaming Death Stranding

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
:lol:

I set fire to my house just to burn my PS4 and PC in order to avoid this game at all costs.
As soon as I seen an infant baby with an umbilical cord strapped to Daryl Dixon’s chest, I knew I was never going to play this game.

Also having having to balance your protagonist if you’re carrying too much inventory is just :houllier:
Nah.

Jagga7

IGN Italy- 9.8
IGN Japan- 9.5
IGN Isreal- 9
IGN Brazil- 9
IGN Netherlands- 9
IGN US- 6.88

I lot of 10/10's from other outlets.
I will definitely buy it and give it a whirl my self.

Amarsdd

Of course, it was going to pretentious, high-brow, slow and story-heavy. I don't know what some of these reviewers hating on this game were expecting from Kojima. Now, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love this game. (p.s. MGS is probably my favorite game series)

Art Vandelay

The signs were already there with MGS5.

Giving Kojima completely free reign to do what he wants was always a big risk.
I'd say the signs were there from MGS2. I replayed MGS2 and 3 a couple of years ago, they have moments of greatness but between the controls and Kojima loving himself they become a bit of a chore to play.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Of course, it was going to pretentious, high-brow, slow and story-heavy. I don't know what some of these reviewers hating on this game were expecting from Kojima. Now, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love this game. (p.s. MGS is probably my favorite game series)
It’s not just slow and story-heavy, though. It’s laborious, and sounds actively difficult to play. How can you enjoy a game that doesn’t want to be enjoyable?

You carry a hyperrealistic baby about, though. Hail Kojima and all that.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This is a game of pure indulgence for Kojima himself, it was always going to be a love story to his studio and the people who stood by him after the Konami crap. I don't blame him, tbh.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Can't say I'm surprised at all with the response to this game. Pretty much what i expected it to be, gameplay wise. I really can't see myself playing this game at all. It's all well and good making something unique and different, something that may inspire conversation, but it's still video game and as such it needs to be fun to play. Others may have different feelings on that, but personally when i play a video game, it needs to be fun to play. Or at least not tedious. My main concern is gameplay - that's it.

This game seems the complete opposite of that. It seems to be actively putting obstacles in your way that hinders your enjoyment. And i hate when you can become over encumbered in games, and this game seems to be about that very thing.

Ainu

Some technical stuff review from Digital Foundry...

Something that already seems like a deal-breaker is the annoyingly recognizable face from the guy in The Walking Dead. He looks likes a less endearing version of Thom Yorke, who doesn’t look endearing to start with. Not sure I can get past that.

{{Standard spoiler warnings}}

DigitalFoundry's tech review is excellent as always. Seems like Kojima did something truly special with the already excellent Demica engine. That part where the entire game world completely changes right in front of your eyes is ridiculous. I'm not sure how I feel about the game but I will definitely check it out at some point, just to see what an incredible world Kojima has created.

Kaos

I have to admit, the more I learn about the game the less I want to play it. Because to me it sounds like an artsy fedex simulator.

I guess this is what happens when you give an eccentric like Kojima free reign, maybe Konami have been tempering him all these years with the MGS games.

Sweet Square

I'd say the signs were there from MGS2. I replayed MGS2 and 3 a couple of years ago, they have moments of greatness but between the controls and Kojima loving himself they become a bit of a chore to play.
Yep.

Kojima is the Tarantino of game making but has the writing skill of Ron Jeremy. The guy has needed for about the last 10 years an editor to tell him that not all his ideas are gold(In fact most of them are shite).

Paxi

The signs were already there with MGS5.

Giving Kojima completely free reign to do what he wants was always a big risk.
MGS5 mechanically was amazing. There was an amazing game somewhere in there but incredibly tedious imo.
While this game doesn't look interesting to me either, IGN is a joke
I agree that IGN are bad but review is scathing and I agree with it on this occasion.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
IGN Italy- 9.8
IGN Japan- 9.5
IGN Isreal- 9
IGN Brazil- 9
IGN Netherlands- 9
IGN US- 6.88

I lot of 10/10's from other outlets.
I will definitely buy it and give it a whirl my self.
The IGN NL guy is a friend of mine. He's the world's biggest Kojima fan. Not sure Id take his opinion as anything to go by.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Watched a few videos of this - looked dreadful and completely boring. Looks lovely though but if it's a shite game who cares.

el3mel

The IGN NL guy is a friend of mine. He's the world's biggest Kojima fan. Not sure Id take his opinion as anything to go by.
I guess this is actually the reasoning behind most of those 9s and 10s review. Kojima gets too much praise for absolutely anything he does. I mean in one of this game's live trailers the crowd were going "wow" on a scene in which the main character was pissing, seriously?

I don't know if the game will turn out good or not but I'm not sure even if it was good it will reach these heights of 9s and 10s judging by what we saw in the trailers. These are most probably thanks to having Kojima's name on its cover.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I will say one thing for it, and that's the user generated content seems quite interesting. The ability to build things and leave stuff for others to use and take as their own. It's nothing revolutionary, but probably the most interesting thing of the game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I guess this is actually the reasoning behind most of those 9s and 10s review. Kojima gets too much praise for absolutely anything he does. I mean in one of this game's live trailers the crowd were going "wow" on a scene in which the main character was pissing, seriously?

I don't know if the game will turn out good or not but I'm not sure even if it was good it will reach these heights of 9s and 10s judging by what we saw in the trailers. These are most probably thanks to having Kojima's name on its cover.
I'm generally not a fan of the over the top weirdness of his games. That's what I always disliked about Metal Gear Solid and why I much prefer Splinter Cell. I suppose it's also a Japanese thing.

el3mel

I'm generally not a fan of the over the top weirdness of his games. That's what I always disliked about Metal Gear Solid and why I much prefer Splinter Cell. I suppose it's also a Japanese thing.
I liked MGSV a lot and he has been definitely one of the most important developers ever, but he has the widest range of fan boys among critics that have a crush on him and like absolutely anything he does regardless of how it looks like which in the end makes the reviews for his games something pointless to read for me.

Irwin99

It looks commendable for trying something a bit different in terms of setting/story but it's not grabbing me as a must play. It looks a bit boring if i'm honest.

Getting sick of open worlds and fetch quests. Linearity in games is not necessarily a bad thing if done right.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is one of the short quotes from a Metacritic review (it was literally like fifth down):

"An experiment extraordinaire, Death Stranding is a game like no other. Full of repetition and lengthy chores, yet ingenious and philosophical in its own accord. It is a sight to behold, and something you have to dedicate your whole month if you want to witness its true potential."

'Full of repetition'; 'lengthy chores'; 'dedicate a whole month' -- these buzzwords somehow warranted a 90 rating from PLAY!Zine (whoever they are). How does this sound like an enjoyable video game?

It just feels like this pseudo-intellectual gatekeeping is an elaborate inside joke I'm not a part of. As though you are a real gamer because you endured 80 hours of filling your backpack correctly to ensure you deliver the fetch quest correctly.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
This is one of the short quotes from a Metacritic review (it was literally like fifth down):

"An experiment extraordinaire, Death Stranding is a game like no other. Full of repetition and lengthy chores, yet ingenious and philosophical in its own accord. It is a sight to behold, and something you have to dedicate your whole month if you want to witness its true potential."

'Full of repetition'; 'lengthy chores'; 'dedicate a whole month' -- these buzzwords somehow warranted a 90 rating from PLAY!Zine (whoever they are). How does this sound like an enjoyable video game?

It just feels like this pseudo-intellectual gatekeeping is an elaborate inside joke I'm not a part of. As though you are a real gamer because you endured 80 hours of filling your backpack correctly to ensure you deliver the fetch quest correctly.
It reflects on some posts I saw on ResetEra "the game can be good without being fun" it's a fecking game, stop trying to make it more than that you pretentious assholes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ign gave it a 6.8.

Skill up and Laymen gaming call it the game of the year.

I know who I trust (the latter).

amolbhatia50k

It reflects on some posts I saw on ResetEra "the game can be good without being fun" it's a fecking game, stop trying to make it more than that you pretentious assholes.
There's nothing pretentious about that. The last of us was not a great game game. But it was a great game.

Paxi

That’s a bizarre thing to say. I get that some game can get frustrating because they’re designed to be incredibly challenging but being a chore to play is something else entirely.

AaronRedDevil

Gist I'm getting for these reviews are if you like kojima you'll like the game. But its gonna be a sloooow burn.

amolbhatia50k

I thought it was fun too, great story, without any pseudo intellectual weird shit.
What is intellectual pseudo shit? Anything that's different and not typical? Or is intellect an issue? How dare they try anything different. Also, have you played this game?

amolbhatia50k

It wasn't a gameplay loop of fetch quests though.
No but it had mediocre gameplay machanic. Is that what this is? Have you played it or are you going by IGN type reviews? It's all about how they handle. Whether it's meaningless like Assassind Creed or everything has a weight or relevance.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
No but it had mediocre gameplay machanic. Is that what this is? Have you played it or are you going by IGN type reviews? It's all about how they handle. Whether it's meaningless like Assassind Creed or everything has a weight or relevance.
Have you read other reviews? Even the good ones are saying it's a series of fetch quests.

Paxi

What is intellectual pseudo shit? Anything that's different and not typical? Or is intellect an issue? How dare they try anything different. Also, have you played this game?
Kojima?

This is from the top reviews on metacritic

Incredible acting and talent aside, let’s look at the actual gameplay loop in Death Stranding. It is very difficult to boil things down to one simple mechanic, as throughout the game, it will change and evolve one piece at a time. If I had to choose one aspect to focus on, at least at first, it would be the deliveries. Sam is a “Porter”, which is essentially a post-apocalyptic delivery man.
I was concerned that the story would be hard to follow or to be honest, just plain bat-shit crazy. While it certainly is high-concept, it's delivered with remarkable restraint and focus. It shows that Kojima has listened to all of his talented film director friends like Guillermo Del Toro and George Miller.
This story is anything but ordinary and feels like it could be a big-budget slow-burn HBO show.
"Death Stranding is a game about connection, and it connects not only every character of the game but also every gamer together. It's a masterpiece with great philosophy thoughts and combines great storytelling with innovative gameplay."
It can be different and good without typical self indulgence from Kojima. Shadow of Colossus, Horizon Zero Dawn come to mind of the top of my head.

kps88

Kojima?

This is from the top reviews on metacritic

It can be different and good without typical self indulgence from Kojima. Shadow of Colossus, Horizon Zero Dawn come to mind of the top of my head.
Those all sound great. What's the problem?