Debutants

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t think we’ve had any this season?

Is it unusual to have a season with zero debutants?

Should we have some by now?

Which players might be feeling hard done by?

EDIT: Not talking about new signings obvs. Players already at the club hoping for a first team debut.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I think Laird would have had it not been for injury setbacks

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's a slightly strange year in the reserves for a host of reasons really. Quite a lot of U18 talent coming through that just isn't really ready for first team level while a few of the older lads have gone out on loan. We've actually got a few young lads in and around the first team that are sort of semi established e.g. Tuanzebe, Williams, Henderson, (Greenwood?) so I guess there isn't actually loads of room for youngsters to come through this year anyway.

Then you've got the fact that most of the U23s aren't actually allowed to train with the first team due to Covid bubbles so it's potentially hard for them to impress, and also probably means they develop a little slower too. Then you've got those in between guys like Pellistri and Mengi who are in the first team bubble but playing U23 so perhaps finding it a little bit hard to impress in the reserves due to a lack of understanding with their teammates. And in fact you'd think Pellistri might have had a brief run out yesterday if he hadn't have got Covid so he was perhaps unlucky there.

And finally we're somehow in a title challenge, you can't just throw kids in there if you want to keep your consistency up. Just look how hard it's been for Williams to get a game for example.

BehemothTerror

Maybe not as much in terms of number f debuts but Henderson, Williams, Tuan, Greenwood all now have a chance to cerment themselves as First Teamers (if not first XI) getting a good second season is sometimes more indicative rather than an explosive debut on if a player is going to make it. Always a chance for Mengi, Pellestri, Amad and maybe at a push Pugimal or Galbraith depending on cup draws to feature too.

Reactions: Rood

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If he didn't do it in the early rounds of the domestic cups doubt its going to happen later in.

Chief123

He’s coming. When he lands, you will never forget.

Diallo.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

EDIT: Not talking about new signings obvs. Players already at the club hoping for a first team debut.
The whole COVID bubbles thing makes this all a bit more complicated this season

Also more than usual made their debuts last season and now some are on loan (Garner, Levitt) and the others fighting to establish themselves (Tuanzebe, Williams and even Greenwood)

Mengi is probably the only one who might have had a run out this season - small chance he still gets one in Europa League

Mickson

I've said it in another thread and I got everyone against me. People are really sensitive when it's the slightest critique against Solskjaer. I've noticed this before and particularly against Tranmere. He is really afraid of losing. I can understand that to a bit but as a United manager he has to have confidence in what he's doing. The simple answer is that he's not ready to take a risk of losing, that's why he isn't playing say Elanga before James. It's a safer bet. He can trust James. Even Mourinho and Guardiola, who gets lets of critique for being anti-youth, has given some youth players the chance. This is very problematic because Ole has been talking time and time again about how he gives youth a chance and that United is all about playing youth. Woodward says it time and time again too. And yet, James and Andreas Pereira, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard and even Harry Maguire are his go-to guys when we meet Luton, Watford, even Tranmere :) And it's not like we want to see 11 youth players. But we want to see Elanga instead of James or Mengi instead of Maguire. He hasn't even managed to give them a spot on the bench. Apparently it was very very important to have Bruno, Martial, and Rashford against Watford, and even playing two of them.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I've said it in another thread and I got everyone against me. People are really sensitive when it's the slightest critique against Solskjaer. I've noticed this before and particularly against Tranmere. He is really afraid of losing. I can understand that to a bit but as a United manager he has to have confidence in what he's doing. The simple answer is that he's not ready to take a risk of losing, that's why he isn't playing say Elanga before James. It's a safer bet. He can trust James. Even Mourinho and Guardiola, who gets lets of critique for being anti-youth, has given some youth players the chance. This is very problematic because Ole has been talking time and time again about how he gives youth a chance and that United is all about playing youth. Woodward says it time and time again too. And yet, James and Andreas Pereira, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard and even Harry Maguire are his go-to guys when we meet Luton, Watford, even Tranmere :) And it's not like we want to see 11 youth players. But we want to see Elanga instead of James or Mengi instead of Maguire. He hasn't even managed to give them a spot on the bench. Apparently it was very very important to have Bruno, Martial, and Rashford against Watford, and even playing two of them.
I might be wrong but I’m not sure if youth players are allowed to play with the first team players at the minute.

Also, imagine we had been 1-0 down and our bench options were Mengi, Elantra and Galbraith. Solskjaer would be hung out to try. Bringing Martial and Rashford on helped so see out the game. I don’t see the problem.

We have a decent sized first team squad with very few injuries. Let the youth continue their development together and give valuable minutes to the fringe first teamers.

Mickson

I might be wrong but I’m not sure if youth players are allowed to play with the first team players at the minute.

Also, imagine we had been 1-0 down and our bench options were Mengi, Elantra and Galbraith. Solskjaer would be hung out to try. Bringing Martial and Rashford on helped so see out the game. I don’t see the problem.

We have a decent sized first team squad with very few injuries. Let the youth continue their development together and give valuable minutes to the fringe first teamers.
Of course they are allowed and pretty much every other team is doing it. You can never convince me that it's a good idea to play Daniel James instead of someone who actually has a potential future at this club. He did the same with Andreas Pereira, completely pointless for a footballer that doesn't belong and never will belong at Man United.

If we were 1-0 down at home to a second-string struggling Championship team Watford, then maybe something else is wrong. All I'm saying: play Elanga instead of say James. Don't risk Maguire, use Mengi. It's not too much to ask for.

Judas

Open to offers
I think the bubbles and the covid concern after Pellistri got it destroyed any chance of seeing debutants on Saturday.

I can't say I'm worried or concerned about the lack of debuts, there was a ridiculous amount last season.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Of course they are allowed and pretty much every other team is doing it. You can never convince me that it's a good idea to play Daniel James instead of someone who actually has a potential future at this club. He did the same with Andreas Pereira, completely pointless for a footballer that doesn't belong and never will belong at Man United.

If we were 1-0 down at home to a second-string struggling Championship team Watford, then maybe something else is wrong. All I'm saying: play Elanga instead of say James. Don't risk Maguire, use Mengi. It's not too much to ask for.
Mengi hasn't had a particularly good season though, is it even fair to throw him in if he's not really firing?

Judas

Open to offers
Mengi hasn't had a particularly good season though, is it even fair to throw him in if he's not really firing?
Of course not, if anything it could do more harm than good, which is why Ole didn't do it. I think Ole has a better idea of what kids are ready and which aren't.

saivet

I don't really follow the youth teams anymore but I've not really heard any names that people have suggested should make there debut apart from Laird who seems to always be injured. I think it's better this way than how it was when LVG was dishing out debuts to everyone.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
You've said it in a lot of threads t.b.h?

Everyone has an opinion but it's normally Liverpool fans who repeatedly say Ole is weak, scared, a P E teacher.

Oles not scared of losing, he wants to win and if he has second string experienced players, why throw third string ones in? It's THEIR job to prove they can't be ignored... playing for United (or any PL club) isn't a giveaway.

I'm fine (sic) with United posters going on and on and on in multiple threads about what they don't rate about Ole as long as they try and see both sides.

You say Ole doesn't play youth. Then when it comes to Greenwood, apparently he had to because he was a generational talent.

Then he plays Pereira (not as young I know) and he shouldn't have.

Then it's because he had to because of squad depth. We had c24 "experienced pros" so Ole didn't have to play Greenwood 26 times, Brandon 25 times or Pereira 25 times... rightly or wrongly, he chose to.

Maybe he doesn't want to throw some into what could be a challenging game v Watford, lose and look a dick like Bielsa did?

Maybe he simply doesn't rate them? "If you're good enough, you're old enough"

Maybe, maybe he knows a lot more/sees a lot more than us.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We have an unusually large number who have already played at least once for the first team, due partly to the dead rubber in the Europa last season. I guess aside from new signings, Elanga, Hannibal or Will Fish would be next in line but next season seems more likely for them.

Mind you, I have to agree I would rather have seen Elanga than James in a few games. I don't think James is good enough and he has played poorly in too many runouts for me. I would not have put Mengi in as he hasn't done well enough for the U23s this season and we have other options, especially Tuanzebe who needs more football. Hannibal is still a bit rash and hard to fit him in when players like VdB and Mata are not playing enough. The loan for Laird makes sense.

GueRed

Unless we make a signing there might be an avenue for some centre-backs to break into and make an appearance in some cup teams... There isnt much depth in the Centre Back department.

Possible chances for Mengi and Fish...

That saying Mengi has had a dodgy season thus far

Ultimately the coaches will know whether they are ready or not.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
https://www.google.com/search?q=ast...F-8#sie=m;/g/11fn2nhydm;2;/m/01hrtp;ln;fp;1;;

The club have given plenty of academy graduates the chance in the previous season. This season we have several of the players that are ready for that next step out on loan.

In 19/20 - Manchester United had the youngest squad on the pitch in the majority of the Premier League games. The team that beat Chelsea 4-0 at Old Trafford was the youngest team to start in the Premier League all season with an average age of 24.

I'm not sure what you define "youth" by. But Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Williams, Garner, Levitt, Bernard, Laird, Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, have all seen either debuts or several matches of gametime in the past season. Tuanzebe featured in the win against PSG and played phenomenal, followed by some so so performances after. At 23 he's still a developing player.

Henderson, Rashford, Martial, Tuanzebe, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, James, Van De Beek, are all still in the category of developing players. Talent that have not yet reached their prime. None of them are the finished product. Even Martial is only 25 despite having been here forever.

I guess you're upset that we haven't made a lot of junior debuts this season.

Junior players typically only gets debuts against teams that are significantly inferior where the matchups are considered a confidence booster and not detrimental to the team. OR they are forced into the team when there are a lot of injuries. We do not have a lot of injuries, and Watford were in the Premier League a few months ago, they are not a garbage team. The outliers are talent that are deemed ready for first team football since their talent is steps above the U18's or U23's. And then they are primarily given gametime or debuts when a match is already won, or in meaningless games.

We had to use Martial and Rashford because the 11 on the pitch couldn't put the game away. You give debuts against teams like Tranmere, not Watford, Everton or Manchester City. Considering the amount of youth talent that have been given gametime and considerations in the previous season, to come here and say that we're not giving anyone a chance is just aspectacular attempt at re-writing history.

Most of the people you want to have gametime practice with the first team squad most days. The staff will know what capabilities they have and if they are ready for first team gametime or not.

Not giving the kids a chance? Give me a break. Stop lying.

Spaghetti

Mom's

I meant because of Pellistri and his positive case - I don’t think other teams are consciously mixing positive and negative bubbles.

It’s all fine and well saying “don’t play them”, but there are several reasons why we should play the fringe players.

One of the main reasons is to maintain or increase value. A couple of goals or assists and the interest and value can go up. Dan James’ performance against Leeds will have done wonders for this, and even against Watford he looked dangerous but wasteful. Some managers might see there’s something to work with.

Another one is to protect the young players. If they come in for a couple of cup games before they’re ready and have a shocker, this can have a lasting impact on their confidence. The coaches work with the players every day and I’m sure they have a better idea of who is ready than you and I.

“Just use Mengi” is a naive statement in my opinion. It was only 1-0 and it’s not like Watford are a non-league team. Sarr was being talked about for 40-50 million last year.

Reactions: Rood

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
None of the u23s are good enough or deserve a debut yet.

Elanga is decent, not amazing. He doesn’t need a debut yet.

Mengi has been complete shite this season and has taken to Instagram to criticize his teammates. Shit performances and childish behaviour are rightly not rewarded with first team appearances.

They’ll get debuts when they are ready and deserve them, they aren’t and don’t at the moment.

Mickson

https://www.google.com/search?q=ast...F-8#sie=m;/g/11fn2nhydm;2;/m/01hrtp;ln;fp;1;;

The club have given plenty of academy graduates the chance in the previous season. This season we have several of the players that are ready for that next step out on loan.

In 19/20 - Manchester United had the youngest squad on the pitch in the majority of the Premier League games. The team that beat Chelsea 4-0 at Old Trafford was the youngest team to start in the Premier League all season with an average age of 24.

I'm not sure what you define "youth" by. But Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Williams, Garner, Levitt, Bernard, Laird, Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, have all seen either debuts or several matches of gametime in the past season. Tuanzebe featured in the win against PSG and played phenomenal, followed by some so so performances after. At 23 he's still a developing player.

Henderson, Rashford, Martial, Tuanzebe, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, James, Van De Beek, are all still in the category of developing players. Talent that have not yet reached their prime. None of them are the finished product. Even Martial is only 25 despite having been here forever.

I guess you're upset that we haven't made a lot of junior debuts this season.

Junior players typically only gets debuts against teams that are significantly inferior where the matchups are considered a confidence booster and not detrimental to the team. OR they are forced into the team when there are a lot of injuries. We do not have a lot of injuries, and Watford were in the Premier League a few months ago, they are not a garbage team. The outliers are talent that are deemed ready for first team football since their talent is steps above the U18's or U23's. And then they are primarily given gametime or debuts when a match is already won, or in meaningless games.

We had to use Martial and Rashford because the 11 on the pitch couldn't put the game away. You give debuts against teams like Tranmere, not Watford, Everton or Manchester City. Considering the amount of youth talent that have been given gametime and considerations in the previous season, to come here and say that we're not giving anyone a chance is just aspectacular attempt at re-writing history.

Most of the people you want to have gametime practice with the first team squad most days. The staff will know what capabilities they have and if they are ready for first team gametime or not.

Not giving the kids a chance? Give me a break. Stop lying.
I don't really know why you name TFM or Tuanzebe, as they have nothing to do with what I'm trying to say. Ole was almost a player himself, it is so long ago that Fosu-Mensah made his debut. I'm talking about now, the past year. Yeah, he gave debuts against Astana, it wasn't hard to do that. And yes, he gave plenty of players his debut last season but he had to, we didn't have the squad. And he did that well! BUT, I'm talking about the last year or so. Look at the game against Tranmere, look at the team we put out against a struggling League Two team. We could beat them with our U23 team. Look at Luton. Look at Watford. Even City and Tottenham with two youth-negative managers have been better there. Playing someone to get sold... what? That just something people say. We played Pereira in like 40 games last season, didn't manage to get him sold anyway. I stand by what I'm saying, he definitely should've had Elanga, maybe Hannibal or Galbraith, and maybe Fish or Mengi in the squad. They didn't have to start the game. These things matter, especially for a club that stands tall and with every chance they get say "WE PLAY YOUTH!!!" and my argument is, do we really? Based on the last year, we don't. (And before someone says something... yes, I know we have done well in that regard before. But not right now).

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I don't really know why you name TFM or Tuanzebe, as they have nothing to do with what I'm trying to say. Ole was almost a player himself, it is so long ago that Fosu-Mensah made his debut. I'm talking about now, the past year. Yeah, he gave debuts against Astana, it wasn't hard to do that. And yes, he gave plenty of players his debut last season but he had to, we didn't have the squad. And he did that well! BUT, I'm talking about the last year or so. Look at the game against Tranmere, look at the team we put out against a struggling League Two team. We could beat them with our U23 team. Look at Luton. Look at Watford. Even City and Tottenham with two youth-negative managers have been better there. Playing someone to get sold... what? That just something people say. We played Pereira in like 40 games last season, didn't manage to get him sold anyway. I stand by what I'm saying, he definitely should've had Elanga, maybe Hannibal or Galbraith, and maybe Fish or Mengi in the squad. They didn't have to start the game. These things matter, especially for a club that stands tall and with every chance they get say "WE PLAY YOUTH!!!" and my argument is, do we really? Based on the last year, we don't. (And before someone says something... yes, I know we have done well in that regard before. But not right now).

Where did I insinuate playing someone to get sold? We're not a selling club.

Listen: The coaching staff obviously feel they are not ready. Are you sitting on information indicating they are?

We played Williams and Greenwood against Tranmere, they were 18 and 19 at the time. Chong was 20. What's the problem?

Games like this is where you play players that are frequent bench options or squad player that don't see a lot of gametime on top of some kids who are ready for first team football. That's what we do every time a "walkover" match comes by.

I don't understand how you ready my post and pretend that everything I said isn't true.

Mickson

Where did I insinuate playing someone to get sold? We're not a selling club.

Listen: The coaching staff obviously feel they are not ready. Are you sitting on information indicating they are?

We played Williams and Greenwood against Tranmere, they were 18 and 19 at the time. Chong was 20. What's the problem?

Games like this is where you play players that are frequent bench options or squad player that don't see a lot of gametime on top of some kids who are ready for first team football. That's what we do every time a "walkover" match comes by.

I don't understand how you ready my post and pretend that everything I said isn't true.
The Greenwood example is what everyone has, isn't it? He made his debut years ago. I'm talking about new debutants. I said for over one year ago that it was pointless playing Pereira and that he isn't good enough. Ole kept playing him. Who was right in the end would you say? It's possible that managers get it wrong. The same thing is happening with James and I will be right this time too. And my point is that I would rather play Elanga than deadwood. So no, I'm not lying. If you look at actual debuts the last one is Mengi for like five minutes against LASK last season. Even in that case, he played way too little. If we look before that, the last debutant was a lot of players in the game against Astana in 2019. If we look at 2020 and 2021, it's very true that he doesn't give youth a chance. The thing is that Ole has changed in a lot of ways. I said it before. He's very scared of losing. And that's okay. I'm just saying that he doesn't play youth so much as people, himself and the club says. I'm not the only one noticing this, as you see with this thread.

lysglimt

Scout
More or less all the youngsters who could make their debut, did so last season.

croadyman

I will say that Pellestri & Diallo could make their debuts off the bench in the FA Cup Fourth Round if they both have a good couple of weeks training (well week for Facundo probably due to COVID) and we get a favourable draw tonight, in other words Fulham, Brighton, Sheff Utd or lower league opposition either home or away.

Last edited:

Kag

Let’s get it right. We’ve had loads of debutants over the past few years because our squad has been a giant bloody mess: over-stacked in some positions and woefully abandoned in others.

This is the most balanced squad we’ve been able to pick from in ages and that’s down the the good work Ole has done in this area. He’s already taken steps to introduce the likes of Henderson, Greenwood and Williams into the first team, and clearly thinks quite highly of the likes of Mengi and Garner, who are further down the line in terms of hitting the first team. Then there’s Pellistri and Diallo who are clearly in the frame for a first team crack.

If and when there is an overwhelmingly obvious player ready to come into the first team then they’ll get that chance. There isn’t a single potential debutant mentioned so far that ticks that box, however.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
No doubt it's great to see young debutants getting chances. However, before we start pointing fingers at Ole or his coaching staff at lack of young players getting chances to play: It's worth remembering introducing a young player before they are ready could actually cause more harm than good to their careers.

I said for over one year ago that it was pointless playing Pereira and that he isn't good enough. Ole kept playing him. Who was right in the end would you say? It's possible that managers get it wrong.
This has to be a wind-up.

I don't think you spotted something insightful that Solskjaer (and a hundred thousand other people) didn't by somehow noticing that Pereira isn't good enough. He obviously knew Pereira wasn't good enough, and he knows Dan James isn't good enough either. The point is, the poster you were quoting is spot on saying " The coaching staff obviously feel they are not ready. Are you sitting on information indicating they are?"

People were crying out for Garner, Gomes, Chong and co to play ahead of the deadwood last season too, and they did nothing in the chances they did get. It's not as simple as "Dan James is not going to make it at this club in the long term, so we might as well just toss in an 18-year-old with no senior football under his belt instead because he can't be any worse". He clearly can be much worse, and it can be damaging for a young player to be thrown in too early when they're not ready for the intensity of senior football.

Williams and Greenwood were two teenagers who played 50+ games between them last season, because the coaching staff knew they were ready for the step up. The others didn't, and it was because the coaches that work with them every day could see that Andreas Pereira and Dan James were more likely to be useful in senior football than they were. Just like they've clearly decided 18-year-old Elanga isn't ready to get on the pitch against a Championship team just yet. And I'm going to repeat myself here because it's genuinely funny you've said it so many times in this thread: this isn't you being right and the coach being wrong about James not being good enough to make it at Man United.

Reactions: Sultan

Mickson

Insulting another member
This has to be a wind-up.

I don't think you spotted something insightful that Solskjaer (and a hundred thousand other people) didn't by somehow noticing that Pereira isn't good enough. He obviously knew Pereira wasn't good enough, and he knows Dan James isn't good enough either. The point is, the poster you were quoting is spot on saying " The coaching staff obviously feel they are not ready. Are you sitting on information indicating they are?"

People were crying out for Garner, Gomes, Chong and co to play ahead of the deadwood last season too, and they did nothing in the chances they did get. It's not as simple as "Dan James is not going to make it at this club in the long term, so we might as well just toss in an 18-year-old with no senior football under his belt instead because he can't be any worse". He clearly can be much worse, and it can be damaging for a young player to be thrown in too early when they're not ready for the intensity of senior football.

Williams and Greenwood were two teenagers who played 50+ games between them last season, because the coaching staff knew they were ready for the step up. The others didn't, and it was because the coaches that work with them every day could see that Andreas Pereira and Dan James were more likely to be useful in senior football than they were. Just like they've clearly decided 18-year-old Elanga isn't ready to get on the pitch against a Championship team just yet. And I'm going to repeat myself here because it's genuinely funny you've said it so many times in this thread: this isn't you being right and the coach being wrong about James not being good enough to make it at Man United.
So everyone who doesn't agree with you is a wind-up? Please shut the feck up you arrogant prick. And the bolded, based on exactly what? It's very debatable that they didn't do anything, they really didn't get many chances to do that. One start here and there. Gomes for example barely played ANYTHING and especially not in his preferred position. I can't see how it would harm Gomes to play and what good did it do to play Pereira? Did we gain anything? Elanga is ready to tear up a League One side but he isn't ready to play a few minutes against a reserve Championship side? Right. Add to the fact that he would play with experienced senior players. And the argument is still not that Elanga should play 30+ games.

So everyone who doesn't agree with you is a wind-up?
Of course not, only the plainly stupid posts. "I told Ole Pereira wasn't good enough and now look who was right!!" :lol:

The bolded part is based on the fact that neither of those two got anywhere near the pitch once the manager had options after January last season, and now one of them isn't at the club while the other's lucky to get a few minutes here and there. Obviously.

The reason Gomes and co barely played ANYTHING is because they didn't do enough in training or in their cameos to show they were worth tossing in over Pereira, simple as that. The kids that did get regular games showed they were ready. You can't see how it would have harmed the others to be tossed in again, but then, you also seem to be under the impression that the coaching staff forms their judgment on young players based entirely on games for the senior team.

Elanga is ready to tear up a League One side but he isn't ready to play a few minutes against a reserve Championship side? Right.
Clearly. If he was ready, he would have been involved against the Championship side too. And that goes for all the other kids that lost to a League One side.

Your argument in this thread is essentially "Solskjaer doesn't play youth. No, the two youth players that have played a load of games lately don't count. I'm only talking about three games in 2020 in which he didn't give a token appearance to a kid from the U23s".

Last edited:

Alemar

It was somewhat difficult for Ole to play debutants this season. If you remember, he was nearly sacked after 0-3 and 1-6 in the first few games, so he needed to save the season, not to handle out debuts.

That said, there is still a very big chance we will see debuts for Pellistri and Diallo quite soon