Decades Draft Tournament : NM vs AldoRaine18

Who will win with all players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
The aim of this poll is to decide which team will win based on all players at their peaks.

NM's Tactics
My defense is fire and ice. Figueroa is one of the best defenders that ever lived, and easily the best defender in the entire draft. I would fancy him alone to take care of Muller, and having JT there is really a bonus. Muller will get no joy.
Nedved might get some joy against Alves, but he also has to track back. One slip from him, and Alves is through to set up delicious 2 vs 1 opportunities on the flank. On the other wing, I don’t need to talk much about Lizarazu. He was just a complete fullback. I’d fancy my team to keep Aldo quiet.
In midfield, Rijkaard will have to mark Zidane. Maybe he can slow Zizou down, but all Zizou has to do is ping the ball wide. My wingers will tear his fullbacks a new one, especially as Rijkaard, and probably Bremner too, will focus of Zidane. This also allows Suarez to control the game from deep, before making calculated forward runs and ending up in the box unmarked. I would fancy him to score, as I reckon Aldo’s midfield would be too Zizou focused.
Up top, I reckon Henry will get joy. I reckon Aldo will sit deep to nullify him, but there has been no proven strategy to nullify Henry. Especially with the likes of Zidane behind him. Sit deep, but Henry is more than about just getting in behind. He will pick up the ball and run at you. Add that to his brilliant positioning, and sitting deep will probably just result in Henry getting into better positions to shoot.

I actually reckon Blokhin will be my key man here. I’d fancy him to rip Aldo’s RB a new one. His fullback probably won’t get much protection either, and if he does, it will give Zidane more room. I reckon that my players are much better positioned to exploit his weakness that he is mine.
Please excuse typos!!
TEAM NM
TEAM AldoRaine18
AldoRaine18's tactics
The team is set out with a 4-2-3-1 formation.​
Starting with the defense, Hansen and Vidic are a complimenting pair, Vidic being the aggressive hard man while Hansen the ball playing defender. Zambrotta and Bergmark both will play on defense first attack second approach, taking care of their respective threats and not allowing them any space. Bergmark was an excellent man marker and his pace will help out in countering Blokhin. The whole defense will play a deep backline to not allow any space behind the line to run on to for the likes of Henry and Blokhin as they are very pacy.​
The midfield has a double pivot of Rijkaard and Bremner. Rijkaard will be the DM here, marking Zidane throughout the 90 minutes and giving him as less space and time as possible, while Bremner will help him out defensively while also be in charge of the transition and getting the ball across to the front 4.​
The attacking midfield comprises of Nedved, who will drop deep to help out the midfield battle, track back Alves, and provide width on the left when on the ball. Zico is in his favoured position where he will pull the strings and get into scoring positions when the ball is put out wide. He destroyed Souness when he played against Liverpool, the video is there in the next post. Gullit is playing on the right, using his pace, athleticism and close control to take on defenders and stretch the play. Zico and Gullit can both interchange if needed as Zico played as a RAM successfully. Gullit would also try to win the aerial battles and allow the likes of Zico and Muller to latch on to any drop downs. Lastly, Muller will be the number 9, staying in the box most of the time and taking any chance he gets. His pace should be useful against Terry.​

Moby

Dick
NM's Player Profiles

Peter Schmeichel:United's greatest keeper. Not much I have to say about him here. To many, he is the best keeper that ever lived. With Yashin not around, I'd say he is the best in the draft. If you can ignore the shit music, here is a video of some of his best saves. If any1 wants to relive Bergkamp's saved penalty (no penalty save, no treble), it is on here!

Dani Alves: The best attacking right back in the world in the late 00s. Electric pace, a powerful shot and the ability to run all day, Alves is the archetypal modern fullback. What shouldn't be overlooked is that he is a quality defender as well. His pace allows him to easily track back after his forward runs. For Barcelona, he was often required to own the entire flank as the winger ahead cut in, and Alves did this with ease! Cristiano Ronaldo said of him: "I usually don't have a problem with defenders when it comes to outracing them, but when playing a match against Barcelona it happens to be complicated with Daniel Alves"

Elias Figueroa: (Shamelessly stealing this from Antohan!)

"The area is my home, and I decide who enters it"
Figueroa was noted for his elegant style of play, his calmness in the centre of defence and his ability to cut out opposition attacks and immediately launch counterattacks from the back. With a great positional sense and aerially dominant, Figueroa would be remembered by all as one of the best ever had he not turned down Real Madrid and favoured Inter de Porto Alegre (which allowed him to stay in the Chilean NT setup).
Beckenbauer said:
I'm the European Figueroa
Passarella said:
Beckenbauer and Figueroa have been the only defenders who were better than I
Carlos Alberto Parreira said:
I do not hesitate when saying Elías Figueroa was the best defender ever in World Football
Amazing backs-against-the-the-wall display vs. Germany '74

John Terry:Look, this is a football draft. Not a popularity contest. The sad truth is Terry was the best defender in the world at his peak. I don't have to say much about him other than judge him as a player, and at his peak. If you do, you will know that he was the best around, and will form an amazing combination with Figueroa.

Bixente Lizarazu:One of the greatest left backs ever. Everybody here should know him too. Otherwise, just look up the other draft threads!

Graeme Souness:He is the engine upon which Liverpool relied on during their glory years. could do the work of two men and can dominate a midfield singlehandedly. He has the intelligence to hold the fort if Suarez sees an opportunity to change the match with one of his runs forward. Souness can do it all - tackle, shield, pass, and is a leader.

Luis Suarez: Still considered the best Spanish player ever. Winner of the Ballon D'or. Started out as an attacker, but played as a deep lying playmaker with Inter, where he controlled the game and could decide it with a burst forward. He had everything you could want of a footballer: amazing skill, an amazing talent for moving the ball about with his feet, great vision and a tremendous shot. But he was mainly noted for his elegant style, it was often said he was such a graceful player that he could have played in a dinner jacket.

Jimmy Johnstone:Voted the best Celtic player by their fans. Simply unplayable in his prime.

Oleh Blokhin:Considered the greatest Soviet footballer and one of the games best ever dribblers, combining sprinter speed with exceptional ball control. Blokhin’s game was based around electric and mazy dribbles either on the left flank or upfront, committing defenders and then shooting past them. Voted the best player in Europe 1975 when he won the Ballon D’Or beating the likes of Cruyff and Beckenbauer, and was inside the Top 20 on four occasions.

Zinedine Zidane:Nothing to say on him. Legend

Thierry Henry:If he wasn't an Arsenal player, he would probably be worshiped on here. Nothing more to say.

Sub:
Horst Szymaniak: An underrated gem. An all round midfielder. He will be wrench control of the midfield for me if needed. He can pass, tackle, shoot and control the midfield. He isn't as well known as he should be because the German team that he played in wasn't the best at the time.
Read more about him here:
http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2011/7/12/the-true-worth-of-horst-szymaniak.html

Moby

Dick
AldoRaine18's Player Profiles

PLAYER PROFILES

Antonio Roma
Nicknamed the "Tarzan", Roma is one of the pioneers at his position in the continent of South America, and an idol at the club he spend most of his career at, Boca. Known for his agility, amazing reflexes and a towering presence in goal, the Argentine has proven himself to be an ace penalty stopper.

Gianluca Zambrotta
Versatile, consistent, energetic and reliable, the Italian fullback is known to provide extreme solidity at either flank against top wingers while also providing considerable ammo in attack. Having played as a winger at times, he is extremely useful in providing width to stretch the opponents while also being extremely tactical aware to position himself at the right place at the right time most times. Remembered particularly for his performances in the 2006 WC that got him into the all star squad.

Alan Hansen
The Scot is famous for leading the defense of Liverpool for numerous trophies like 8 domestic leagues and 3 European Cups, a record a very few can even think of matching. A classy operator, Hansen not only was a rock at the back marshalling them to one triumph after another, but his ability on the ball made him a rare combination of steel and style. One of the few players from that all conquering squad that can be put up against the best of all time in his position.

Nemanja Vidic
Out captain, nothing much to say about him. Ever since at his time at United he is one of the most consistent and decorated players in the league. The team rarely loses with him at the back, made a unbreakable united with Rio and VDS and continued afterwards with ever changing partners and declining players, never letting his performances drop. Physically a beast and a huge presence in the air both in defense and attack, the Serbian combines strength with great tactical awareness to send fear down his opponent's spines.

Orvar Bergmark
Part of the golden Swedish team that reached the final and alongside Djalma and Armfield one of the best right backs of his time. Voted as the best right back of the 1958 World Cup, the Swede while always being as solid as they come in defense was very potent going forward as well. Quick and a decent dribbler on his day, his main strengths combine stamina, anticipation and man marking.

Frank Rijkaard
IMO the greatest proper defensive midfielder of all time, the dutchman was the core of the great Milan team of late 90s. Going on to win European Cups and the European Championships, Rijkaard excelled in breaking up play against the best of players in the world, while also being very good on the ball. Versatile as he also won a CL while playing in defense, he possessed amazing balance, stamina and teamwork. Can do a job on most top number 10s in the game.

Billy Bremner
Greatest player in the history of Leeds, the talisman captain was the definition of passion and putting his body on the line for the team. Defensively very solid and aggressive, he drove his team on by example by literally doing anything to not let the opponent score, but we must not forget that he was a very able playmaker and could easily convert defense into attack.

Pavel Nedved
An all action midfield who pivots his game on versatility, energy and teamwork while being explosive in attack, the Czech Cannon had a vicious shot and was incredibly two footed, to an extent that he did not know what his stronger foot was. Playing as the left midfielder he won the Ballon D'or for taking Juventus to the final and would have arguably won it had he not been suspended.

Ruud Gullit
Another Ballon D'or winner, he continues the trend of versatile players in the team but takes it to another level. Where do I begin, there is nothing this man doesn't possess. Physically a monster, beast in the air and quick as a gazelle, he adds to that immense technical ability, awareness and ball control, so much so that George Best considered him as good as Maradona. To add to all that he was a big game player and had great determination and work rate that never let him not be involved in the game.

Zico
The While Pele, Zico was the best player in the world at his peak and showed qualities that left everyone who watched him mesmerized. After showing how unstoppable he was in Brazil with his extremely unstoppable finishing and playmaking, not to forget one of the best free kick taker the game has seen, he stepped on to Europe and scored 19 in 24 games in a season, more goals per game than Michel Platini who played for the giants Juventus. He led Flamengo to an unforgettable destruction of the European Titans Liverpool in 1981, and was voted the best player in the world on multiple instances. His contribution in Japanese football is also huge and has led to a lot of player in the country idolize him, which is resulting in World stars like Honda and Kagawa. 52 in 72 for Brazil shows he was as potent on the big stage representing his nation as he was for his clubs. The following two videos should make it clear what exactly he is capable of, unstoppable.

Gerd Muller
An absolute machine in front of goal, is putting it mildly. The German is arguably the greatest finisher of all time and there is nothing that he hasn't won. World Cup, European Cup, European Championship, Domestic leagues and has gone on to score at an insane rate throughout his career. He has the best goals per game ratio in the all time top 25 scorer at International level getting 68 in 62 games while getting 655 in 709 games in his club career with a season best of 67 goals in 49 games. More records follow that were recently broken which include all time highest scorer in World Cups and most goal in a calendar year. Extreme burst of pace in him, he is impossible to mark inside the box, and can leap over most tall defenders. He plays, he scores, as simple as that.

Sub: Xabi Alonso
A deep lying playmaker who has been a part of the all conquering Spanish outfit of the modern age and has been the heart of Real Madrid over last few years, the Spaniard has a great accurate pin point passing range that can cut through tight units while also having excellent reading of the game and great at sweeping second balls. Can be brought on to get a complete grip on possession and see the lead till the end.

Thisistheone

This is close but leaning towards Aldo at the moment. Like the extra work-rate in his side with Nedved and Gullit able to drop back & Muller a better goal scorer than Henry. Will wait to hear from NM though who does have more natural width and by far the better keeper.

kps88

I'm not going to vote until NM's given a chance to update his tactics.

Moby

Dick
NM's key defensive ability in midfield comes from Souness and there is evidence (video in my player profiles) of what happened when he met Zico. Liverpool at the prime of Paisley era got mauled 3-0 and Zico was the best player on the pitch.

kps88

He was given a chance, like everyone else but yeah he said he'll do it around evening UK time.

Yeah just saw that. It's a bit shit having a game with no tactics from one of the managers. Strongly leaning towards Congress for this one.

Moby

Dick
At first glance Aldo looks stronger but looking at NMs width against Aldos full backs, NM definitely can get joy.
To be fair the most joy any wide player will have in the game is Nedved against Dani Alves. He's a fish out of water when not played in Barca's tiki taka, displayed by how brutally he was raped by mediocre players at the last Copa America.

Moreover Rijkaard can do a job on Zidane here to a great extent leaving his wide players without much service. And as TITO said, all my players barring Muller are tremendous hard workers and would not fanny around when not in possession.

Lastly, Zidane has usually excelled with two DMs behind him doing the dirty work and giving him complete license, he only has one here who is already remembering his nightmare looking at Zico.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
This is Alves in his peak who despite people always questioning his defensive abilities was very rarely caught out. You can mark Zidane all game but it still won't stop his wingers getting the ball, as if Celtics best ever player and blokhin are going to just stop because Zidane is being marked? I reckon you'd properly win but not by a landslide.

Moby

Dick
This is Alves in his peak who despite people always questioning his defensive abilities was very rarely caught out. You can mark Zidane all game but it still won't stop his wingers getting the ball, as if Celtics best ever player and blokhin are going to just stop because Zidane is being marked? I reckon you'd properly win but not by a landslide.
But his peak was in a particular system which is not the case here. As I said, during that very peak, whenever he played for Brazil where he didn't have 70% possession and he was one on one with tricky players he didn't have an answer. You can watch the highlights of the last Copa America and you will see where I am coming from.

Let's not start going into a tangent with how a player is Celtic's greatest and all, all players in this draft are close to the all the greats level so mentioning all this is a bit pointless. Also that "at their peak" argument goes for all players and Zambrotta was any day better defensively than Alves at his peak. I never said his players won't touch the ball just that they'll have a lot less than they would like.

NM has the worst fullback and center back on the pitch out of both defenses.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
This should be closer IMO, though I'm leaning towards aldo at the moment too. NM has by far the best defender on the pitch, goalkeeper is a match winner in himself, and his players are better in possession IMO.

Gullit and and Nedved on the wings are very useful to have though.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Sorry Aldo, but with no rival manager around I have to pick on you here:

1) How do you feel about Blokhin on your right? If Rijkaard is indeed onto Zidane at all times, I reckon you are getting raped there. Less so, on the left.

2) With that oncoming Soviet freight train, Henry's and Johnstone's movement will give your defence some real headaches.

3) I'm a bit worried your entire attacking transition seems to rely on Billy Bremner.

I like your front four though. It's clear the key to the game is there.

NM

Tactics: Aldo, please post this in the first post please:
NM Tactics:
My defense is fire and ice. Figueroa is one of the best defenders that ever lived, and easily the best defender in the entire draft. I would fancy him alone to take care of Muller, and having JT there is really a bonus. Muller will get no joy.
Nedved might get some joy against Alves, but he also has to track back. One slip from him, and Alves is through to set up delicious 2 vs 1 opportunities on the flank. On the other wing, I don’t need to talk much about Lizarazu. He was just a complete fullback. I’d fancy my team to keep Aldo quiet.
In midfield, Rijkaard will have to mark Zidane. Maybe he can slow Zizou down, but all Zizou has to do is ping the ball wide. My wingers will tear his fullbacks a new one, especially as Rijkaard, and probably Bremner too, will focus of Zidane. This also allows Suarez to control the game from deep, before making calculated forward runs and ending up in the box unmarked. I would fancy him to score, as I reckon Aldo’s midfield would be too Zizou focused.
Up top, I reckon Henry will get joy. I reckon Aldo will sit deep to nullify him, but there has been no proven strategy to nullify Henry. Especially with the likes of Zidane behind him. Sit deep, but Henry is more than about just getting in behind. He will pick up the ball and run at you. Add that to his brilliant positioning, and sitting deep will probably just result in Henry getting into better positions to shoot.

I actually reckon Blokhin will be my key man here. I’d fancy him to rip Aldo’s RB a new one. His fullback probably won’t get much protection either, and if he does, it will give Zidane more room. I reckon that my players are much better positioned to exploit his weakness that he is mine.
Please excuse typos!!

NM

Hope they aren't any spelling or typos in that post. I'm out now.

NM

Heck, all my points are ignoring Schmeichel. I should start 1-0 up as he will certainly save a goal or two that Aldo's keeper won't. Best keeper in the draft! I didn't think I needed to mention him on a United board!

Fergus' son

NM does have brilliant wingers, against a couple of good but not great (IMO) full backs. The point about Rijkaard being occupied by Zidane is a good one too..

NM

Bump. Aldo, when you are online, please update the OP.

antohan

NM Tactics:
My defense is fire and ice.
That's a shit partnership if there ever was one. Fire melts ice => ice becomes water => water puts out fire => Aldo scores for fun in a rather muddy pitch

Moby

Dick
Sorry Aldo, but with no rival manager around I have to pick on you here:

1) How do you feel about Blokhin on your right? If Rijkaard is indeed onto Zidane at all times, I reckon you are getting raped there. Less so, on the left.

2) With that oncoming Soviet freight train, Henry's and Johnstone's movement will give your defence some real headaches.

3) I'm a bit worried your entire attacking transition seems to rely on Billy Bremner.

I like your front four though. It's clear the key to the game is there.
1) Not at all getting raped. Firstly Blokhin was more of a wing forward and not some who would come deep a lot to get the ball so if NM's midfield gets dominated and fails to deliver service, which it would be IMO, he impact would be lowered. Secondly, Bergmark was quite pacy himself so he would not be troubled by Blokhin's pace and would follow him around all over like a leech. Lastly, I have Gullit tracking back, his immense work rate would always be helpful in aiding the Swede if Blokhin ever gets dangerous. It is simple really, as I said Gullit and Nedved wouldn't be standing on the wings doing nothing when the team doesn't have the ball. They will drop as deep as necessary and help out. I do think you have underrated Bergmark here.

2) I don't see how, at least not to an extent that would worry me. I have played a deep backline particularly to congest those players who relish space. Henry used to love on to acres of space when Bergkamp would lob one up and he'd latch on to that, nothing of that sort is happening here. Hansen is one of the best readers of the game and a perfect man to anticipate such small movements in tight spaces to stop them. IMO without the space and the cover from midfield I should be able to curn their influence enough.

3) Not entirely relying on Bremner, when we don't have the ball all 3 of Zico, Gullit and Nedved would drop deep and defend and as soon as we win it back we would hit them. Bremner can ping them with ease as there'd be acres of space when the likes of Alves have committed themselves in attack while it can also be carried out. The fact that both wide players would run up and down the pitch all day without a problem helps this, and anyway Bremner was a more than a good passer who in fact was known more for his passing ability despite having a reputation of a thug.

At the end of the day, Despite NM having a lot of options in attack to trouble me, I think I have taken enough measures to curb him as much as possible while I don't see how he would be stopping me when I have the ball. Nedved against Alves is a mismatch. And once we dominate the midfield which I think we will and get a spell of attack going, their defense would be overcrowded and at any moment Muller has a 1v1 moment against Terry he's going to punish it. There's a good balance of creativity, goals and energy up there and most importantly, Zico is going have a lot better time than Zidane IMO which is going to be the decider.

Moby

Dick
NM does have brilliant wingers, against a couple of good but not great (IMO) full backs. The point about Rijkaard being occupied by Zidane is a good one too..
Nedved was also a brilliant winger IMO mate, and he is against the poorest fullback on the pitch who is proven to struggle when playing in a non tiki taka system.

About Rijkaard occupying Zidane, as I said with hard working wingers willing to more than help out, I am just going to have Rijkaard take out the heart of his team and leave his attack waiting for the ball most times in the game.

Fergus' son

Nedved was also a brilliant winger IMO mate, and he is against the poorest fullback on the pitch who is proven to struggle when playing in a non tiki taka system.

About Rijkaard occupying Zidane, as I said with hard working wingers willing to more than help out, I am just going to have Rijkaard take out the heart of his team and leave his attack waiting for the ball most times in the game.

Completely agree about Nedved, love him.

Moby

Dick
NM Tactics:

Please excuse typos!!
JT is not a bonus, if you put Figueroa on Muller the whole time, you have JT looking after Zico who is the best goal scoring attacking midfielder of all time. He will make countless runs in the box. And he possesses a great scoring technique, something a lot of top forwards would envy.

And the RB will get no protection? Why not? You think Gullit doesn't track back?

As for Henry, I am sitting deep to negate the pace threat he and Blokhin possess while also having a great reader of the game in Hansen to take care of their movement. Unlike me, you have no goal threat from midfield. Zidane would not attack the box like Zico does and has nowhere near a goal scoring record as Zico. So I actually have a more comfortable time at the back because I have a spare man ready to help out if you manage to out number them.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
My defense is fire and ice. Figueroa is one of the best defenders that ever lived, and easily the best defender in the entire draft. !!
Bixente Lizarazu:One of the greatest left backs ever. Everybody here should know him too. Otherwise, just look up the other draft threads!
This sort of hyperbole probably isn't going to do you any favours. No one is easily the best defender in any draft that Baresi and Nesta are present. As for Lizarazu, decent player but never one of the greatest leftbacks ever.

Fergus' son

Figueroa is better than Baresi and Nesta, not 'easily' though, and Lizarazu is definitely better than 'decent'.

antohan

1) Not at all getting raped. Firstly Blokhin was more of a wing forward and not some who would come deep a lot to get the ball so if NM's midfield gets dominated and fails to deliver service, which it would be IMO, he impact would be lowered. Secondly, Bergmark was quite pacy himself so he would not be troubled by Blokhin's pace and would follow him around all over like a leech. Lastly, I have Gullit tracking back, his immense work rate would always be helpful in aiding the Swede if Blokhin ever gets dangerous. It is simple really, as I said Gullit and Nedved wouldn't be standing on the wings doing nothing when the team doesn't have the ball. They will drop as deep as necessary and help out. I do think you have underrated Bergmark here.
I probably have since I have no recollection of noticing him in the final against Brazil and wouldn't have come across him anywhere else AFAIK.

I'm primarily interested in what you are doing with Nedved and Gullit to be honest. I don't see them playing as wingers at all, but you keep coming back with them tracking back, Bremner pinging balls and Nedved owning Alves.

What I like about those two is indeed their dropping back when not in possession, but into a midfield four, and it follows (at least to me) that both of them would be handling the transition, more so than Bremner. If that is the case then I could see the service to Blokhin being severaly hampered and NM needing to revert to his original plan of a diamond to put more bodies in midfield. That's what he got those fullbacks for in the first place.

antohan

Figueroa is better than Baresi and Nesta, not 'easily' though, and Lizarazu is definitely better than 'decent'.
While I agree with those statememts, Cutch does have a point. Throwaway hyperbole/unsubstantiated comments like that don't do managers any favours.

Fergus' son

While I agree with those statememts, Cutch does have a point. Throwaway hyperbole/unsubstantiated comments like that don't do managers any favours.
True, but doing the same in retaliation is hardly worth it.

Moby

Dick
I probably have since I have no recollection of noticing him in the final against Brazil and wouldn't have come across him anywhere else AFAIK.

I'm primarily interested in what you are doing with Nedved and Gullit to be honest. I don't see them playing as wingers at all, but you keep coming back with them tracking back, Bremner pinging balls and Nedved owning Alves.

What I like about those two is indeed their dropping back when not in possession, but into a midfield four, and it follows (at least to me) that both of them would be handling the transition, more so than Bremner. If that is the case then I could see the service to Blokhin being severaly hampered and NM needing to revert to his original plan of a diamond to put more bodies in midfield. That's what he got those fullbacks for in the first place.
The transition would clearly not be one dimensional here. I had Effenberg in my plans before I went for Gullit and it was mainly because I needed someone with a good passing range alongside Rijkaard while also being great defensively. Bremner slotted right into that role so I picked him despite know I'd have to play a lesser known fullback/keeper. I made that sacrifice as I was pretty confident about Bremner's passing and playmaking ability. He has the range and accuracy to pick out players in advanced positions without much of a trouble. He's no Pirlo but he can do that to a pretty good level. But if you think that's a bit far fetched, the 3 behind Muller are all going to drop deep without much problem, get it back and carry it out.

About Bergmark, I wish I could have shown you some videos but I am still in India and have the worst internet connection possible. He was the best RB in that WC, probably because Djalma only played the final but after him he was the best of that time, at least that is what I have read so far. Plus the fact that his two most known qualities were man marking and pace, that really makes me think he would not be "raped" against Blokhin.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

The only other info. I could find on him is that he was named in the Ballon d'Or rankings above the likes of Blanchflower and Boniperti in '58 but never appeared in there again. For all we know he could be another Josimar.

NM

To be honest, Henry will probably drift a little to the left as well. Blokhin will probably move a little more central at the time. I can see that right fullback and CB pairing being really targeted by those two.

I also HATE to say this as I love Vidic, but I reckon Henry's pace will give him trouble too.

Moby

Dick
The only other info. I could find on him is that he was named in the Ballon d'Or rankings above the likes of Blanchflower and Boniperti in '58 but never appeared in there again. For all we know he could be another Josimar.
The editor of kicker magazine had good things to say about him, will try to search the link again. Remember it reading somewhere.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This sort of hyperbole probably isn't going to do you any favours. No one is easily the best defender in any draft that Baresi and Nesta are present. As for Lizarazu, decent player but never one of the greatest leftbacks ever.
That's the problem with these all-time drafts. Every player from yore is painted as some sort of combination of Baresi, Matthaus and Ronaldo. If managers aren't credible enough to provide an accurate assessment of their players, it's hard to take any of their arguments seriously.

In saying that, I'm a big fan of Figueroa and Lizarazu, albeit there is a better French left-back who didn't even make the cut.