Decades Draft Tournament : NM vs AldoRaine18

Who will win with all players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NM

OK, I will then. I was waiting it out but can't see your sub turning the tide here.

Sorry mate but I do think Gullit-Nedved dropping into midfield will make it very hard for you to get anything here.

Henry is being underrated though, been there before when I had him :( That said, Zico-Muller will deliver with regular service.

Well if Gullit or Nedved drop into midfield, more space for my fullbacks! I'll ping the ball out wide. I'm hoping to rally when I get home in 5 hours. But I'm out till then!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
If they drop into midfield I don't see you having a ball to ping TBH. With your fullbacks you really should be playing with a diamond here, Suárez deep attending to his main threat (Zico) and pinging balls to Zidane/Henry/the fullbacks when possession is recovered.

I was waiting out for that but, as I told you during the draft, I know bugger all about your other midfielder. I'm not particularly keen on older midfielders in a diamond either. Even if you had picked the one I did know that would be two classic 4-4-2 type midfielders trying to pull off a diamond. It's a bit of a stretch.

BTW, to the rest of you out there, the alternative I suggested to NM as last round 30s pick was Dave Mackay. Would have been interesting to get him and Bremner having a go again.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Surprised nobody picked him as a 30s pick who could drop into defence at sweeper or left back, he probably carries more popularity up here than Bremner

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah I wanted to throw Baxter into midfield, but him and Davids played much the same position.

antohan

This game actually exemplifies why I'm always reluctant to go for a Vidic/Terry type "hardman" as well.

If Zidane is being taken care of by Rijkaard, then Suárez/Souness have their work cut out with Nedved and Gullit dropping into midfield to help out Bremner.

Figueroa would prove invaluable here playing the ball out of defence and passing to the midfielders or fullbacks subject to where there is more scope for making something happen (and indeed, Nedved and Gullit can't be both onto the midfielders AND the fullbacks). Zico wouldn't get the ball off him, but I wouldn't be very comfortable leaving behind Muller with Terry...

Do consider the option Figueroa provides NM, he would play very high up when the midfield needed support and had a good eye for a pass. You may not be as choked as you appear to be, just on the backfoot.

antohan

Jim Baxter or the aforementioned Mackay would have been a good fit for NM.
I told him Mackay was going to get a lot more recognition than the friendly-faced Mannschafter on here. He apparently knows more about him and had never heard of Mackay so I can understand his reasons.

Opinions on the diamond familiarity? Souness and Mackay would be a mean pair protecting Suárez, but can they pull off a formation where fullbacks are the only source of width and they have a wider area to cover with their exertions? That must be completely alien to those two (not Suárez). No?

antohan

Surprised nobody picked him as a 30s pick who could drop into defence at sweeper or left back, he probably carries more popularity up here than Bremner
Sweeper or left back, really? Didn't know that at all. Why not right back as well seeing as he was right footed? That would have been handy.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Close but Aldo's saving grace is having two wide men that possess that tactical discipline and awareness of centre mids. Suarez releasing one of the front three on a quick break is still possible up against Aldo's full backs and relatively slow centre back pairing but I can only see that happening a few times. The rest of the time his wide men will happily double up ehile Rijkaard takes care of Zidane which leaves Henry isolated and his full backs as the only route to goal. Henry just isn't a particularly useful target for that route to goal. In this case someone like Ibrahimovic would have been of more use. I'd actually like to know what people think sets Henry and Ibrahimovic apart to be honest - dominated their respective leagues, scoring beautiful goals and creating goals effortlessly on a regular basis but ultimately failed to show their best form at the highest levels.

Moby

Dick
OK, I will then. I was waiting it out but can't see your sub turning the tide here.

Sorry mate but I do think Gullit-Nedved dropping into midfield will make it very hard for you to get anything here.

Henry is being underrated though, been there before when I had him :( That said, Zico-Muller will deliver with regular service.
And so is Hansen here, if people thing he'd be like bunny in front of headlights against Henry or Blokhin. You don't achieve what he has being the heart of his defense by being that.

He kept a clean sheet against great teams of his time like Bayern in 81 who had Rummenigge, Gladbach in 78 who had Heynckes, etc. That whole Liverpool team under Paisley wasn't filled of superstars but it were players like Souness, Dalglish and Hansen all bringing the best out of others leading their respective areas on the pitch. At his best he was really brilliant at reading the game against the trickiest of forwards and also great and stylish on the ball and used to bring it out of defense swiftly.

antohan

Close but Aldo's saving grace is having two wide men that possess that tactical discipline and awareness of centre mids. Suarez releasing one of the front three on a quick break is still possible up against Aldo's full backs and relatively slow centre back pairing but I can only see that happening a few times. The rest of the time his wide men will happily double up ehile Rijkaard takes care of Zidane which leaves Henry isolated and his full backs as the only route to goal. Henry just isn't a particularly useful target for that route to goal. In this case someone like Ibrahimovic would have been of more use. I'd actually like to know what people think sets Henry and Ibrahimovic apart to be honest - dominated their respective leagues, scoring beautiful goals and creating goals effortlessly on a regular basis but ultimately failed to show their best form at the highest levels.
Good point about Henry not being ideal as a target. No idea what it is with Ibrahimovic as I don't see him regularly enough. The fact he keeps changing teams in leagues I don't watch as much makes him quite elusive and he is only brought to my attention every now and then when he does something phenomenal. That doesn't happen often enough though (not that I'm actively looking out for it)...

In short, anyone who follows the Premiership knows for a fact that Henry delivered the goods week in week out for an extended period of time. Many are probably in the same place as I am in that we know Ibra has the ability but assume that sort of consistency isn't there. Changing clubs all the time doesn't indicate someone has reached and is staying at the top of his game for an extended period.

It's largely guesswork and gut feel, but it's my 2p on why they may be rated differently.

antohan

I don't think anyone is underrating Hansen here Aldo. If anything, he is probably the main reason you don't see everyone banging on and on about Bergmark quite possibly being out of his depth: he is well covered. The issue some have raised is Hansen can't do everything and if that means Vidic is responsible for keeping Henry quiet, he may have some trouble doing that.

Moby

Dick
I don't think anyone is underrating Hansen here Aldo. If anything, he is probably the main reason you don't see everyone banging on and on about Bergmark quite possibly being out of his depth: he is well covered. The issue some have raised is Hansen can't do everything and if that means Vidic is responsible for keeping Henry quiet, he may have some trouble doing that.
True that Henry is one of the worst opponents for Vidic but I don't see the same thing happening to Vidic that happened to him against Torres, he would never be that high up the pitch here. Never understood why Sir Alex had such a high line against Torres at his peak in the first place, nevermind Vidic as the last man!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Sweeper or left back, really? Didn't know that at all. Why not right back as well seeing as he was right footed? That would have been handy.
Mackay became increasingly defensive through his career as injuries took their toll. Clough played him as sweeper with Derby where from all accounts he was immense. You'd prefer him putting out fires in the heart of your midfield, but his advantage in this draft was that should a better midfield reinforcement come along, he had the skillset and experience to drop into defence as required.

antohan

Mackay became increasingly defensive through his career as injuries took their toll. Clough played him as sweeper with Derby where from all accounts he was immense. You'd prefer him putting out fires in the heart of your midfield, but his advantage in this draft was that should a better midfield reinforcement come along, he had the skillset and experience to drop into defence as required.
Midfielders dropping into sweeper or CB as they age is quite a common occurrence, but left back? If anything fullbacks try move to other roles because age gets in the way of the required stamina. I guess that fullback role was conceived differently (purely defensive).

NM

That's me done for drafts I think. Never have time to play weekday games. Good game Aldo.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Midfielders dropping into sweeper or CB as they age is quite a common occurrence, but left back? If anything fullbacks try move to other roles because age gets in the way of the required stamina. I guess that fullback role was conceived differently (purely defensive).
Mackay filled in right up and down the left flank for Spurs, from left-back, left-half to inside-left.

antohan

Mackay filled in right up and down the left flank for Spurs, from left-back, left-half to inside-left.
Good to know, had him down as purely left half from the little I've seen but I guess it was around his time that tactics started evolving, and a left half could well have the right attributes for leftback. In fact, yes, he should have been fine.