Declan Rice | Arsenal £105m player

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
But the difference between him and s 50m decent player is not big.
Rice has been regarded as one of the top PL midfielders for a few years now. He is also English so was always going to go for a big fee.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rice has been regarded as one of the top PL midfielders for a few years now. He is also English so was always going to go for a big fee.
His fee is mental though. Isn't it more than Bellingham?

mu4c_20le

I don't understand how a lot of people seem to think he's a sure thing, he played for a defensive club and national team, there really is no guarantee he's going to have the same impact in a far more attacking team, with that price tag on his head. Is he a success if he doesn't elevate Arsenal, at that price?
Seems like his job is to win the ball back and give it to someone more creative. He can't possibly fail at that.

Hammondo

It's funny how you use Grealish as an example and asking if he elevated City after having their most successful season ever, also winning the treble. I'd say, yes, he absolutely elevated them. Maybe not in terms of numbers, but how Pep wants his team to play.

Pogba didn't flop because of his talent. He flopped because he was lazy and didn't have the mentality to be the best version of himself as a player. Pogba and Rice's mentality is quite a huge contrast to each other.

What I mean by high level is his level, not the cups he plays in. He has a lot of quality and is one of the best CDMs whether you like it or not. You seem too hung up on the fact he's English. English players can't be good then? He's got a boring name and looks and has a funny way of running with the ball, so his actual qualities are forgotten about.

You, and I, have absolutely no idea how this transfer is going to work out for Arsenal. Maybe they'll be a lot better, maybe not. One player can make a huge difference to a team.
Pogba also had talent problems, I feel it silly to argue otherwise. Obviously his attitude was his biggest problem though.

You have not said anything about his high level though, where was it? Can you point to the games? Which competition?

Marwood

Are you honestly telling me, a club with a fanbase that has moaned about poor options in midfield since the Carrick type era, and finally has another top class 1 in Casemiro and can see the massive difference hes made, that the role in there is a myth?
I mean if you could just shove Shaw in there, why didn't you do that?
United signing a bunch of midfield disasters isn't proof the DM position is a particularly difficult or demanding role. We've just been terrible at recruitment full stop.

I'm a fan of Casemiro, he's been a really important signing but he's a good example of what I'm talking about.

His passing is decent but a bit erratic, his first touch is just ok, he's no recovery pace, stamina is questionable but he's still one of the top DM's in the world.

You simply don't have to be all that to play the role. It's half the job of what all round midfielders used to do.

I said Luke Shaw could play the role I didn't say that's what we should do. What with him being a very good left back.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We tried for Caceido too in Jan so obviously Arteta was interested. Unfortunately Brighton weren't willing to sell at the time - they want about £100mil also.
I think why Arteta has gone the extra mile for Rice is that he's more experienced and his leadership qualities. Captain of West Ham and good shout for future England captain.
Experienced yes but West Ham fans were saying at times last season that as a leader he was a massive downgrade on Noble

Hammondo

Fees apart anyone in the world would choose Havertz or Rice for Xhaka without hesitation. No matter how last season went.
Fees are important though, Xhaka has proven he can play at a higher level with better performances, Rice is younger and could be as good or better, but there is risk.

Hammondo

United signing a bunch of midfield disasters isn't proof the DM position is a particularly difficult or demanding role. We've just been terrible at recruitment full stop.

I'm a fan of Casemiro, he's been a really important signing but he's a good example of what I'm talking about.

His passing is decent but a bit erratic, his first touch is just ok, he's no recovery pace, stamina is questionable but he's still one of the top DM's in the world.

You simply don't have to be all that to play the role. It's half the job of what all round midfielders used to do.

I said Luke Shaw could play the role I didn't say that's what we should do. What with him being a very good left back.
We also didn't buy DMs, we bought box2box and put them in DM.

90 + 5min

We're going to regret not signing him. He's criminally underrated by some on here. I really think he will take Arsenal to next level.
I would say dodging a bullet.

West Ham did marvlous business here.

Hammondo

As far as the media says, but that means nothing, I would say the vast majority of the highly regarded players don't work out. The teams who are smarter than that usually do better.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Grealish was one of the most important players because it changed City’s game from having a tap in merchant or regular inverted forward to a team that was totally creating for Haaland.

Grealish, De Bryune, Gundogan & Silva were creating for Haaland from every side, even one side of dribbling led to the creating of another.

Poor post showing a lack of footballing IQ.
So in your highest footballing IQ,
Grealish is far more important than
  • KDB (scorer in Bernabeu for City equalizer in CL Semi final) ,
  • Rodri ( Scorer in Champions League Final) ,
  • Gundogan ( double Scorer in FA cup final),
  • Bernardo Silva, ( double Scorer against Real in Etihad, assist in Champions League final) and
  • Halland ( Premier League record goals)..
As you can see without Grealish, City would still have won titles, same as they did previously, even like 2021-22 season while Grealish did nothing meaningful.

Let me ask you, if United signed Grealish would he have made us title challengers, please answer me don't evade it.

While at it, if United signed Halland would have made us a title challengers? You know the answer deep in your heart.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
It's funny how you use Grealish as an example and asking if he elevated City after having their most successful season ever, also winning the treble. I'd say, yes, he absolutely elevated them. Maybe not in terms of numbers, but how Pep wants his team to play.

Pogba didn't flop because of his talent. He flopped because he was lazy and didn't have the mentality to be the best version of himself as a player. Pogba and Rice's mentality is quite a huge contrast to each other.

What I mean by high level is his level, not the cups he plays in. He has a lot of quality and is one of the best CDMs whether you like it or not. You seem too hung up on the fact he's English. English players can't be good then? He's got a boring name and looks and has a funny way of running with the ball, so his actual qualities are forgotten about.

You, and I, have absolutely no idea how this transfer is going to work out for Arsenal. Maybe they'll be a lot better, maybe not. One player can make a huge difference to a team.
I have nothing much to say to you, I've replied to another poster about Grealish.
Rice like Grealish will have little impact to how Arsenal plays.
You will bear me witness, Timber will have massive effect on Arsenal than Rice wait you will see.
Rice + Havertz will be like Sterling move from City to Chelsea. Won't affect the team course that much.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He is not better than Partey
I disagree, I think he is a far better and more consistent performer than Partey, plus 6 years younger and (for obvious reasons) a less risky player to have starting.

Hammondo

So in your highest footballing IQ,
Grealish is far more important than
  • KDB (scorer in Bernabeu for City equalizer in CL Semi final) ,
  • Rodri ( Scorer in Champions League Final) ,
  • Gundogan ( double Scorer in FA cup final),
  • Bernardo Silva, ( double Scorer against Real in Etihad, assist in Champions League final) and
  • Halland ( Premier League record goals)..
As you can see without Grealish, City would still have won titles, same as they did previously, even like 2021-22 season while Grealish did nothing meaningful.

Let me ask you, if United signed Grealish would he have made us title challengers, please answer me don't evade it.

While at it, if United signed Halland would have made us a title challengers? You know the answer deep in your heart.
Are suggesting the only meaningful thing an attacker can do is score in specific games? They would probably have won without any 1 of those players tbh.

zaafi

I have nothing much to say to you, I've replied to another poster about Grealish.
Rice like Grealish will have little impact to how Arsenal plays.
You will bear me witness, Timber will have massive effect on Arsenal than Rice wait you will see.
Rice + Havertz will be like Sterling move from City to Chelsea. Won't affect the team course that much.
The oracle has spoken. Must be great to foresee how every transfer work out for every team.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Warmed up to this transfer. I baulked at the transfer fee initially but we are getting a decent deal here potentially.

At worst we are getting a 60-65 million player and we will have overpaid 40 mil. Unfortunately, it is really easy to waste 40 mil nowadays. Fabio Vieira cost us 35 and up to now I have to admit that's a full dud. Declan is a very good player...is he world class which this fee suggests? Not yet, but given the right environment, he may well be one day I think.

Now if I can get myself to feel better about the Havertz transfer...
I am in the same boat..
Also cannot wrap my head around the Havertz transfer.

Hammondo

I disagree, I think he is a far better and more consistent performer than Partey, plus 6 years younger and (for obvious reasons) a less risky player to have starting.
There is no way he's more consistent. He's been really inconsistent this season.

zaafi

Pogba also had talent problems, I feel it silly to argue otherwise. Obviously his attitude was his biggest problem though.

You have not said anything about his high level though, where was it? Can you point to the games? Which competition?
What do you mean by "Pogba had talent problems"? He is exceptionally gifted.

Rice plays at a high level in most games, and is why he is wanted by many top clubs. He is very intelligent and has great positioning, so he will often stop an attack simply by positioning himself instead of making a crunchy tackle. He reads the game exceptionally well and is brilliant at intercepting.

Not the kind of player who stands out, though, similar to a lot of players in that position.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’m honestly not that bothered about them signing him.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
If it gets to those figures it means we've we've both the big ones and he's won the balon dor.

Where do I sign?
Chelsea's bid for Mudryk had achievable add ons which is why the bid was accepted. Their head clearly mentioned that Arsenals bid had Balondor clause and not Chelsea. Although there would be PL/CL win clauses.

Hammondo

What do you mean by "Pogba had talent problems"? He is exceptionally gifted.

Rice plays at a high level in most games, and is why he is wanted by many top clubs. He is very intelligent and has great positioning, so he will often stop an attack simply by positioning himself instead of making a crunchy tackle. He reads the game exceptionally well and is brilliant at intercepting.

Not the kind of player who stands out, though, similar to a lot of players in that position.
He was very gifted, amazing passer.

He also had weaknesses, he was bad Vs the press and he wasn't that bright, but his passing etc is exciting so people focus on that a lot.

You sound like someone who has not watched West Ham much, he loses the midfield battle nearly ever every game. Most of the time his performances are not stand out in West Ham FFS.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Ok, so you are saying that the DM isn't a particularly important or demanding role?

Let's look at the best teams of recent years.

Madrid - Casemiro,
City - Rodri,
Liverpool - Fabinho,
Bayern - Kimmich,
Barca - Busquets

So I think we can establish at least that the very best teams had very good DM's. That could be coincidence of course.

You've been terrible at recruitment in your words, bought multiple players, including buying CM's to play as DM's, but despite you saying its not a demanding role and a left back could do it to a high level, none of these players cut the mustard?

Its almost like I didn't read a million times over that Pogba needed a top class DM beside him to get the best out of him?!

You can forgive me if I think the points are all over the place!

Hammondo

Ok, so you are saying that the DM isn't a particularly important or demanding role?

Let's look at the best teams of recent years.

Madrid - Casemiro,
City - Rodri,
Liverpool - Fabinho,
Bayern - Kimmich,
Barca - Busquets

So I think we can establish at least that the very best teams had very good DM's. That could be coincidence of course.

You've been terrible at recruitment in your words, bought multiple players, including buying CM's to play as DM's, but despite you saying its not a demanding role and a left back could do it to a high level, none of these players cut the mustard?

Its almost like I didn't read a million times over that Pogba needed a top class DM beside him to get the best out of him?!

You can forgive me if I think the points are all over the place!
These DMs are very influential in the buildup and dictating of the teams game though, if not the main player dictating then supporting them with it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

He also had weaknesses, he was bad Vs the press and he wasn't that bright, but his passing etc is exciting so people focus on that a lot.

You sound like someone who has not watched West Ham much, he loses the midfield battle nearly ever every game. Most of the time his performances are not stand out in West Ham FFS.
It's funny you say we can't have watched West Ham much, because West Ham fans that watch him every week consider him 1 of their best players of the past 20 years.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Some(very few) are yes but a DM can do none of that and still cost a fortune. Like Rice.

I'm convinced you could throw Luke Shaw in the role and he'd roughly be around Rice's level.

The role is really a bit of a myth. You don't need a special player there if the rest of the team is on point. Somebody functional will do. Fergie chucked various mediocre players into the role and we made it work.
Fergie retired 10 years ago, I think football has moved on just a tiny bit tactically since then.

Do you actually watch football? I refuse to believe someone who currently watches football can genuinely think DM is the easiest role on the pitch.

The biggest thing a player needs for that role is simply the willingness to do it because it's a boring role.
This is just insane :lol:

Hammondo

It's funny you say we can't have watched West Ham much, because West Ham fans that watch him every week consider him 1 of their best players of the past 20 years.
Half my family support west ham, hard to them seriously xD

He suits their play, defensive, gives up the midfield battle, counter attacks.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Half my family support west ham, hard to them seriously xD

He suits their play, defensive, gives up the midfield battle, counter attacks.
We'll just agree to disagree then. If people are arguing we overpaid, I can totally get that. If people are saying DM's aren't a massively important role in a team (and I appreciate there's various styles of DM), and that Rice isn't good at what he does and doesn't see the potential for him to get better in a better team, then there's no real discussion to be had.

zaafi

He most certainly wasn't bad in that aspect. In fact, he was very press resistant in his first seasons for us, but his problem was that he took too long to make a decision and instead kept the ball, so eventually he lost it.

Do you watch a lot of West Ham? You, as a United fan, watch West Ham instead of United? I've seen enough of Rice in matches to know what kind of player he is.

Your argument is very weak. We lose midfield battles every other week with Casemiro there. Do you not think Casemiro is one of the best CDMs in the world?
You need a fully functional midfield who work together and with different skillsets to control the midfield. Rice can't do everything by himself.

Romeo Lavia is the main man in Southampton's midfield and they lost midfield battles every week, and they just got relegated, so according to your logic, he is shit.

Hammondo

We'll just agree to disagree then. If people are arguing we overpaid, I can totally get that. If people are saying DM's aren't a massively important role in a team (and I appreciate there's various styles of DM), and that Rice isn't good at what he does and doesn't see the potential for him to get better in a better team, then there's no real discussion to be had.
I would argue this, you could get a DM for a lot cheaper who is not that much worse, and spend that extra money effectively elsewhere.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I would argue this, you could get a DM for a lot cheaper who is not that much worse, and spend that extra money effectively elsewhere.
As I mentioned earlier, we've overpaid for the package that Rice is. Could argue that players like Caceido might be a better player. But as seen again only a couple of months ago, we needed a good strong character, vocal, leaders / captain material type.

We probably lost our biggest player in that regard on Xhaka, so that needed replaced, and maybe even improved upon. If we get that, I'd say that's an effective use of the money.

Hammondo

As I mentioned earlier, we've overpaid for the package that Rice is. Could argue that players like Caceido might be a better player. But as seen again only a couple of months ago, we needed a good strong character, vocal, leaders / captain material type.

We probably lost our biggest player in that regard on Xhaka, so that needed replaced, and maybe even improved upon. If we get that, I'd say that's an effective use of the money.
Fair enough.

Idxomer

Fergie retired 10 years ago, I think football has moved on just a tiny bit tactically since then.

Do you actually watch football? I refuse to believe someone who currently watches football can genuinely think DM is the easiest role on the pitch
Fergie usually had Carrick or Keane there anyway and they were both expensive at the time of their transfers. It's ridiculous to think he didn't value that position highly and just chucked anyone there.