Declan Rice | Arsenal £105m player

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So in your highest footballing IQ,
Grealish is far more important than
  • KDB (scorer in Bernabeu for City equalizer in CL Semi final) ,
  • Rodri ( Scorer in Champions League Final) ,
  • Gundogan ( double Scorer in FA cup final),
  • Bernardo Silva, ( double Scorer against Real in Etihad, assist in Champions League final) and
  • Halland ( Premier League record goals)..
As you can see without Grealish, City would still have won titles, same as they did previously, even like 2021-22 season while Grealish did nothing meaningful.

Let me ask you, if United signed Grealish would he have made us title challengers, please answer me don't evade it.

While at it, if United signed Halland would have made us a title challengers? You know the answer deep in your heart.
:lol:
Can’t even spell Haaland, nice IQ!

Haaland is obviously better than Grealish - but you value players individually than a team that is a sum of its part.

Haaland getting supplied by Rashford and Garanacho, a Sancho that couldn’t beat a single defender, an overpriced Brazilian player in Antony (funny how the most biggest flop is Coutinho but Brazilians are never overpriced or overrated by these scum fans that only see it with the English) -

Would be be worse at United than the way he was being supplied with City players like Grealish and De Bruyne, Silva from every bloody angle.

If you think Haaland at United would be better at United with a LW of Rashford or Garanacho over Grealish then that says all about you.

You know the answer already.

Pep bought Grealish because he realized Sterling was not good enough even though he had succeeded stats & couldn’t buy Kane (the best striker to play alongside inverted forwards) - and bought Grealish because he was the most creative LW that was available on the market that could supply Haaland.

You’d probably buy Mbappe and stick him on the LW to Haaland assuming just like PSG that you’d win everything with Neymar, Mbappe and Messi in a front 3.

Now go away.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Anyone remember how most of the fans were laughing at City buying Stones :lol:

Turned in to arguably their most important player of their most successful season.

English players will never get respect because some people only value players by how successful their National team is.

AFC NimbleThumb

Arsenal fans spent the whole of last season talking about how great Partey was, ‘best DM in the league’ etc. so I’m not quite sure what I’m meant to make of this Rice signing, how is he better than the guy they swore was the best. . .

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Why are Arsenal getting rid or Partey and Xhaka?
Xhaka wanted to leave for a year or so, wanted a new challenge.

Partey I don't think we are actively looking to sell but might listen to some good offers like has what happened with Liverpool and Fabinho.

He has fitness issues since he joined, he has off the field issues as well we all know about, as well as a supposedly enjoying the London nightlife a bit too much.

Arsenal fans spent the whole of last season talking about how great Partey was, ‘best DM in the league’ etc. so I’m not quite sure what I’m meant to make of this Rice signing, how is he better than the guy they swore was the best. . .
Form wise at the time he was very good, he's just not robust fitness wise or form wise to carry it out over a full season.

norm87cro

A promising talent who decided to be a loser. Liverpool or Chelsea would have been a better option. His career

sev1

Supports
Arsenal
Rice is a very good player whom Arteta believes is critical for their plans this season. Rice and Arteta are both looking forward to working together to raise Rice’s level even further.

We got second last year. At this point it’s not about finding the best value it’s about finding the best. Arteta firmly believes Rice is the best and the club have backed him.

This is why Arsenal fans are excited.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

AFC NimbleThumb

Rice is a very good player whom Arteta believes is critical for their plans this season. Rice and Arteta are both looking forward to working together to raise Rice’s level even further.

We got second last year. At this point it’s not about finding the best value it’s about finding the best. Arteta firmly believes Rice is the best and the club have backed him.

This is why Arsenal fans are excited.
No excuses this season then?

OrcaFat

Are you having a laugh? Arsenal and City were willing to pay £100m for him, but @Hammondo on the caf refuses to believe he plays at a high level.

Brozovic was the strongest name on that list, as he has shown for Inter and Croatia. You're listing players who don't even play as CDMs, an ancient Busquets who can't move and some prospect who doesn't even have a defined position on the pitch.
I think the people who don’t rate Rice are a tiny and, for some reason, very vociferous minority.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Partey was the best six in the league for large parts of last season. That's one of the reasons we led the league for so long.

Partey stays at the club and remains as our starting six with Rice taking over the Xhaka role in my view. That gives us the balance needed to get back to that high quality level we showed for large parts of 22/23.

If Partey is sold, it has nothing to do with his quality or consistency as a player, and less to do with his fitness. It will be driven by the other issues.

This is not a question about him suddenly not being good enough anymore. Believe me when I tell you, that Partey is still capable of top quality performances at six, and very key to our system. People who think he has suddenly become rubbish because of the end of last season, dont understand football properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
The oracle has spoken. Must be great to foresee how every transfer work out for every team.
Name any over €100m transfer that has been a success? Over the head? Mbappe maybe, his he a PSG success? I can't think of any maybe you can remind me.

So why do you that Arsenal is going to break that curse? Just give it time you will see my other expensive signings failed and it was with players who had massive talent and potential than Rice.

Hazard, Coutinho, Dembele, Griezman, Joao Felix, Lukaku Inter Chelsea for 100m, Pogba came to mind as players who have massively flop or under achieved while over 100m mark. You can add Neymar in the list if you want.

1.NeymarBarcelona - PSG2017€222m

2. Kylian MbappeMonaco - PSG2017€145m (+€35m)

3. Joao FelixBenfica - Atletico Madrid2019€126m

4. Enzo FernandezBenfica - Chelsea2023€121m

5. Philippe CoutinhoLiverpool - Barcelona2018€120m (+€40m)

5. Antoine GriezmannAtletico Madrid - Barcelona2019€120m

7. Jack GrealishAston Villa - Manchester City2021€117m

8. Romelu LukakuInter - Chelsea2021€115m

9. Ousmane DembeleBorussia Dortmund - Barcelona2017€105m (+€45m)

9. Paul PogbaJuventus - Manchester United2016€105m

11. Jude BellinghamDortmund - Real Madrid2023€103m

12. Gareth BaleTottenham - Real Madrid2013€100.8m

13. Cristiano RonaldoReal Madrid - Juventus2018€100m

13. Eden HazardChelsea - Real Madrid2019€100m (+€40m)

13. Mykhailo MudrykShakhtar Donetsk - Chelsea2023€100m

Add rice to that list and you can correctly predict how it will go or the path it will take.

E-mal

I disagree, I think he is a far better and more consistent performer than Partey, plus 6 years younger and (for obvious reasons) a less risky player to have starting.
You are having a laugh if you think he is "far better" than Partey. Casemiro wasn't even "far better" than Partey, at least last season.
Anyone who thinks Rice is far better than Partey needs to take out there British tinted glasses off. Except am watching a different sport, Rice is definitely not better Partey

Marwood

Ok, so you are saying that the DM isn't a particularly important or demanding role?

Let's look at the best teams of recent years.

Madrid - Casemiro,
City - Rodri,
Liverpool - Fabinho,
Bayern - Kimmich,
Barca - Busquets

So I think we can establish at least that the very best teams had very good DM's. That could be coincidence of course.

You've been terrible at recruitment in your words, bought multiple players, including buying CM's to play as DM's, but despite you saying its not a demanding role and a left back could do it to a high level, none of these players cut the mustard?

Its almost like I didn't read a million times over that Pogba needed a top class DM beside him to get the best out of him?!

You can forgive me if I think the points are all over the place!
No that's not my point. I'm not saying we don't need one or that it's an unimportant role.

I'm saying that player, whilst a very necessary position now, doesn't require a world beater and definitely doesn't need a £100 million payment.

Marwood

Fergie retired 10 years ago, I think football has moved on just a tiny bit tactically since then.

Do you actually watch football? I refuse to believe someone who currently watches football can genuinely think DM is the easiest role on the pitch.

This is just insane :lol:
It is a boring role. What player grows up wanting to shield a back four, get ball and keep it simple?

I've listed a bunch of stuff a DM doesn't have to do that midfielders of previous generations did. That alone simplifies the role hugely.

Last edited:

Marwood

But for a top DM more is expected.
A bit more. Not that much.

Still nowhere near as much as midfielders who played in a two were expected to do.

I'd really like to see today's DM's in a traditional two man midfield, see how they cope having to go back and forwards. How they'd cope playing with lots of space behind them, having a responsibility to create and score a few.

It's a much reduced role now.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
£100 million is the new 60-70 million. There was never any question of West Ham letting Rice go for less than 100. Brighton will demand 100 million for Caicedo as well even though he isn't your typical striker/attacker 100 million player. Arsenal (Pepe), United (Antony), Chelski (multiple players) have all played their part in inflating the price of players who are not typical superstar 100 million pound transfers.

I believe Arsenal pinpointed Rice as a key acquisition for several reasons in addition to his technical and athletic abilities as a footballer - leadership, durability, sponsorship opportunities and even the cache he will have with officials as a key player on the England National Team. As good a player as he is, Kane consistently gets calls going his way that other players do not due to being England captain.

No that's not my point. I'm not saying we don't need one or that it's an unimportant role.

I'm saying that player, whilst a very necessary position now, doesn't require a world beater and definitely doesn't need a £100 million payment.

C'est Moi Cantona

Good player, but boy have they paid for it, so he has to work as they won't be able to do this again for a while.

I admire Arsenal for trying to push on when they finally got CL, more than can be said for us down the years, but I don't believe he'll be the difference for the them winning the PL, last season won't happen again very easily, and even that wasn't enough.

Marwood

£100 million is the new 60-70 million. There was never any question of West Ham letting Rice go for less than 100. Brighton will demand 100 million for Caicedo as well even though he isn't your typical striker/attacker 100 million player. Arsenal (Pepe), United (Antony), Chelski (multiple players) have all played their part in inflating the price of players who are not typical superstar 100 million pound transfers.

I believe Arsenal pinpointed Rice as a key acquisition for several reasons in addition to his technical and athletic abilities as a footballer - leadership, durability, sponsorship opportunities and even the cache he will have with officials as a key player on the England National Team. As good a player as he is, Kane consistently gets calls going his way that other players do not due to being England captain.
Is it completely unrealistic to say West Ham could replace Rice with a £40 million player and stay at pretty much the same level?

The only people convincing themselves £100 million is a fair price is Arsenal fans. Which is fair enough, we all do it as fans. All like to believe the club has got it right, especially when times are good.

Chief123

The hype around this guy is off the scale. West Ham can’t believe their luck.

AFC NimbleThumb

Partey was the best six in the league for large parts of last season. That's one of the reasons we led the league for so long.

Partey stays at the club and remains as our starting six with Rice taking over the Xhaka role in my view. That gives us the balance needed to get back to that high quality level we showed for large parts of 22/23.

If Partey is sold, it has nothing to do with his quality or consistency as a player, and less to do with his fitness. It will be driven by the other issues.

This is not a question about him suddenly not being good enough anymore. Believe me when I tell you, that Partey is still capable of top quality performances at six, and very key to our system. People who think he has suddenly become rubbish because of the end of last season, dont understand football properly.
So you’re replacing ‘the best 6 in the league for parts of last season’ with a very good but not yet tried nor tested player at that level. I’m not saying I think he’s suddenly become rubbish, I’m saying both Xhaka & Partey played the best football of their lives for periods last year so unless Kai & Rice are additions I don’t see a direct correlation that you will improve by their subtraction.

You’ve spent £200mil & I’d argue none of the 3 players would challenge their incumbents in those positions on last seasons form, when you surprised the world & finished.

All this to say I’m not really bothered, I don’t want to hear any excuses from your lot this year. Arteta is what 5 seasons in & been given a war chest - best of luck to you.

Hammondo

A bit more. Not that much.

Still nowhere near as much as midfielders who played in a two were expected to do.

I'd really like to see today's DM's in a traditional two man midfield, see how they cope having to go back and forwards. How they'd cope playing with lots of space behind them, having a responsibility to create and score a few.

It's a much reduced role now.
It's not reduced, it's just football has progressed a lot since then that the midfield was found to be far more important than previously. Midfilders in general are expected to do more than previously.

Coxy

Is it completely unrealistic to say West Ham could replace Rice with a £40 million player and stay at pretty much the same level?

The only people convincing themselves £100 million is a fair price is Arsenal fans. Which is fair enough, we all do it as fans. All like to believe the club has got it right, especially when times are good.
Who do you think Arsenal could have signed at the same level as Rice, for cheaper then?

Hammondo

Who do you think Arsenal could have signed at the same level as Rice, for cheaper then?
Well Tonali was £55 mill and could be a better player. Let's say you go for a player a bit worse than Rice for abou 50m, that's 55m to spend however you like.

Marwood

It's not reduced, it's just football has progressed a lot since then that the midfield was found to be far more important than previously. Midfilders in general are expected to do more than previously.
It's not a progression as such. Its just that teams started playing an extra midfielder, making it impossible to play with a two.

Do you really think a DM today has to do more than a traditional box to box player like Robson or Keane?

I'm no scout, watch very little world football but I'm not having it there aren't players out there as good as Rice for less than £100 million.

Rodri only cost £62 million.

If West Ham could sign Lavia for £50 million, half the Rice fee, do you think West Ham would be much worse off?

Andersons Dietician

Going in to the transfer season him ending up at Arsenal is not something I would ever have predicted. Even worse is the dam confirmation video they have released with Stormzy begging him not to join Arsenal then Allessio Russo supposedly face timing him asking if he was coming. For some reason that angered me slightly.

Anyway, if Arsenal can get a goal scorer in could be another interesting season for them.

Hammondo

It's not a progression as such. Its just that teams started playing an extra midfielder, making it impossible to play with a two.

Do you really think a DM today has to do more than a traditional box to box player like Robson or Keane?

I'm no scout, watch very little world football but I'm not having it there aren't players out there as good as Rice for less than £100 million.

Rodri only cost £62 million.

If West Ham could sign Lavia for £50 million, half the Rice fee, do you think West Ham would be much worse off?
Less running around, more responsibility, less room for mistakes.

It's a much more structured game more, with DM being one of the most responsible, often more core to the play than before.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
He is not better than Partey
No he's not, nor did I say he was. But Partey is probably on his last legs, has always had fitness issues and again proved he cannot be relied upon for a whole season. He wasn't able to maintain his performances and massively dropped off in the last couple of months. I'm sure a big part of that was our defence falling apart behind him, but his individual performances dropped off a cliff also.

Rice, being much younger is probably yet to reach his peak years and will hopefully only get better. Ideally Partey stays as I think losing both him and Xhaka in one window is a big change all at once, and Partey has said he wants to play CL with us after helping us get back into the competition. Though I think news just came out that Partey is heading to Saudi league. If true then we probably need to buy another midfielder.

Last edited:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Well Tonali was £55 mill and could be a better player. Let's say you go for a player a bit worse than Rice for abou 50m, that's 55m to spend however you like.
Rice has been Arteta's primary target for a long time, we have been working on this deal behind the scenes for months. Yes you could argue Tonali or whoever may be a better deal, but Arteta's man has always be Rice. David Ornstein apparently said that Rice is central to Arteta's plans moving forward and that other transfer targets are highly dependent on his addition. So it seems Arteta really only had eyes for Rice.
We overpaid I don't think anyone can argue otherwise, but we're actually getting our primary targets. If we were the Arsenal of 2-3 years ago, no way one of the most sought-after players in the PL would come to us.

Last edited:

m1tch

This is one of those transfers that screws up the values of everyone else I reckon. Brighton will feel well within their rights to want north of £90m for Caicedo. West Ham may find everyone they go after is more expensive now too.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
This is one of those transfers that screws up the values of everyone else I reckon. Brighton will feel well within their rights to want north of £90m for Caicedo. West Ham may find everyone they go after is more expensive now too.
Brighton has probably always wanted £100mil ish for Caceido - they rejected £70mil bid from Arsenal in January so presumably will want even more now.
Yes everyone knows West Ham have some cash now, but they got what they wanted for the best player they've ever produced.

Chief123

No he's not, nor did I say he was. But Partey is probably on his last legs, has always had fitness issues and again proved he cannot be relied upon for a whole season. He wasn't able to maintain his performances and massively dropped off in the last couple of months. I'm sure a big part of that was our defence falling apart behind him, but his individual performances dropped off a cliff also.

Rice, being much younger is probably yet to reach his peak years and will hopefully only get better. Ideally Partey stays as I think losing both him and Xhaka in one window is a big change all at once, and Partey has said he wants to play CL with us after helping us get back into the competition. Though I think news just came out that Partey is heading to Saudi league. If true then we probably need to buy another midfielder.
It’s a ridiculous price to pay for what is (by your own admittance) a downgrade on Partey. I don’t expect Arsenal fans to care about the price tbh just like I’m not too fussed what Utd pay for players, but I’m just not seeing how Rice takes Arsenal to another level. It’s not even like he’s replacing a legendary CDM in Partey who has been elite for years.

wr8_utd

:'(
Rice has been Arteta's primary target for a long time, we have been working on this deal behind the scenes for months. Yes you could argue Tonali or whoever may be a better deal, but Arteta's man has always be Rice. David Ornstein apparently said that Rice is central to Arteta's plans moving forward and that other transfer targets are highly dependent on his addition. So it seems Arteta really only had eyes for Rice.
We overpaid I don't think anyone can argue otherwise, but we're actually getting our primary targets. If we were the Arsenal of 2-3 years ago, no way one of the most sought-after players in the PL would come to us.
I think you'll find if you pay enough money, players will join a top club, even if they're struggling a bit at the point. United have fairly comfortably signed key players even when regularly missing out on the CL primarily due to paying the fees and wages demanded. What has changed at Arsenal in the last 3-5 seasons and particularly under Arteta is the intention and ability to go out and spend huge amounts of money.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
His fee is mental though. Isn't it more than Bellingham?
Bellingham’s fee is proper mental too. Once you get up there in and around £100M for a player, it’s just utterly ridiculous numbers. Unless you’re getting an absolute superstar like Mbappe or Haaland then it’s just a crazy overpay no matter how you look at it.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
It’s a ridiculous price to pay for what is (by your own admittance) a downgrade on Partey. I don’t expect Arsenal fans to care about the price tbh just like I’m not too fussed what Utd pay for players, but I’m just not seeing how Rice takes Arsenal to another level. It’s not even like he’s replacing a legendary CDM in Partey who has been elite for years.
Price is ridiculous but after so many years of tightened purse strings, I'm all for Arsenal acting like a "big club" in the transfer market. What I think Arteta will be banking on with Rice is that he should have his best years ahead of him, and Arteta can mould him to best fit his system. Harder to do that with older players.

I think you'll find if you pay enough money, players will join a top club, even if they're struggling a bit at the point. United have fairly comfortably signed key players even when regularly missing out on the CL primarily due to paying the fees and wages demanded. What has changed at Arsenal in the last 3-5 seasons and particularly under Arteta is the intention and ability to go out and spend huge amounts of money.
We completely overhauled the squad, which takes huge amounts of money. With Xhaka gone, there is not one player there (not counting those who came through the academy eg Nelson, Saka) who precedes Arteta. Except Holding, who hopefully will be nowhere near our first team this season. 7 years of no CL has really hurt us, and we needed to spend to get back into it. No way Rice would have joined IMO if we missed out on top 4 again, and we probably would not have spent what we did. And United are undoubtedly a bigger club than Arsenal, so signings upwards of £60 mil are no big deal. For Arsenal only Pepe transfer is in that region, and what a disaster that was. Hopefully Havertz and Rice don't follow the same fate!