g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klean

If the mount deal is truly dead, we should move quickly for him. Fits the profile much better than Caciedo.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I would be personally a bit concerned that Man City might actually be punished in the not too distant future which could potentially throw everything into a tailspin. I am expecting Pep to also leave in a season or two....but then again so might Arteta.

I am getting a kick out of all these former players advising Rice to go to City.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
If the mount deal is truly dead, we should move quickly for him. Fits the profile much better than Caciedo.
You would need Manchester to be in London and find 40M under your bed to go from Mount to Rice. Doubtful.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You would need Manchester to be in London and find 40M under your bed to go from Mount to Rice. Doubtful.
This is I'm bit less worried about, the issue with he Mount fee is his contract situation.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Nah, Rice apparently never wanted to leave London. It probably is as simple as that.
How can you turn down potentially winning another treble next season, possibly make history by winning the quadruple? Or perhaps even going unbeaten and winning a gold trophy?

All because you want to live in London?

Nah. You are underestimating Arteta’s pull and the potential of the Arsenal project here. It could only be those discussions that turns you away from such successes available now.

Oranges038

How can you turn down potentially winning another treble next season, possibly make history by winning the quadruple? Or perhaps even going unbeaten and winning a gold trophy?

Nah. You are underestimating Arteta’s pull and the potential of the Arsenal project here. It could only be those discussions that turns you away from such successes available now.
Or you are overestimating it.

Arteta can't guarantee anything other than a starting place and a top 4 fight, which is what's going to happen next year and they'll be lucky to make it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

:lol:

Look at your first paragraph and then tell me how in feck is Arteta's project meant to compete with that.

Cloud7

Why would an established and international player want to play for Arteta when Pep and Erik come calling? London is absolutely the factor
To be fair when joining a Pep team there's every chance that you end up as nothing more than a bench player, or just deemed not compatible and you get moved on having used up a few years of your career. Not saying that most players would not still jump at the chance to play under Pep, because they would, but I'm sure that must factor in to their thinking on some level, especially if the team you're going to already has an established, performing player in your position.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Why do people seemingly find it so hard to believe that a player might simply not have any interest in joining City?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why do people seemingly find it so hard to believe that a player might simply not have any interest in joining City?
Well, presumably because they currently offer massive wealth and a near-guarantee of major trophies. It would be extremely unusual for a player to have no interest in joining City.

OrcaFat

Any serious player who believes he can get into that team will at least be interested in joining City. There’s probably players who would ultimately choose another club but that doesn’t mean he had no interest in City.

As far as we go, we’d prefer a character who wants the challenge of lifting us back towards the top.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well, presumably because they currently offer massive wealth and a near-guarantee of major trophies. It would be extremely unusual for a player to have no interest in joining City.
Any serious player who believes he can get into that team will at least be interested in joining City. There’s probably players who would ultimately choose another club but that doesn’t mean he had no interest in City.

As far as we go, we’d prefer a character who wants the challenge of lifting us back towards the top.
They’re a cold and soulless club with multiple players in every position. It’s perfectly possible (and reasonable) that a player just might not be interested in being a cog in that machine.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They’re a cold and soulless club with multiple players in every position. It’s perfectly possible (and reasonable) that a player just might not be interested in being a cog in that machine.
It's possible. It's just very unlikely/rare. Typically massive wealth and a near-guarantee of success will stoke some interest.

marktan

He's probably seen the route his World cup starting partner in Kalvin Phillips has taken, in that he was a big money signing and barely got a sniff all season long.

That, combined with remaining in London and playing for an Arsenal side that will likely be in the top two again and are spending big sums gives him plenty of reasons to want to join Arsenal.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Or you are overestimating it.

Arteta can't guarantee anything other than a starting place and a top 4 fight, which is what's going to happen next year and they'll be lucky to make it.
The question remains. How do you compete with a treble winning side, by offering what you think would be a "top four fight next season" which Arsenal would be "lucky to make next season".

Why does Rice still choose Arsenal? Is he lazy and unambitious? Maybe he is thinking about his starting spot for England at the Euros next year?

:lol:

Look at your first paragraph and then tell me how in feck is Arteta's project meant to compete with that.
You tell me how? Rice is going to reject ALL of that, for lowly Arsenal.

If Rice wants to stay in London and has no ambition, he stays at West Ham. Simple as. He is on his way to becoming a legend there, a regular starter and can sign a massive new deal, start every week and be in the England national setup automatically.

This is more than just London. Its hard to accept, I know. But you have to deal with that possible reality.

Last edited:

cyberman

It's possible. It's just very unlikely/rare. Typically massive wealth and a near-guarantee of success will stoke some interest.
City have lost out on plenty of players under Pep. Quite a few to us as well

OrcaFat

I doubt it.

Oranges038

The question remains. How do you compete with a treble winning side, by offering what you think would be a "top four fight next season" which Arsenal would be "lucky to make next season".

Why does Rice still choose Arsenal? Is he lazy and unambitious? Maybe he is thinking about his starting spot for England at the Euros next year?

If Rice wants to stay in London and has no ambition, he stays at West Ham. Simple as. He is on his way to becoming a legend there, a regular starter and can sign a massive new deal, start every week and be in the England national setup automatically.

This is more than just London. Its hard to accept, I know. But you have to deal with that possible reality.
Because he wants to leave West Ham and stay in London and Chelsea isn't an option for him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

:lol: you've convinced yourself at least. He wants to stay in London and at the moment you are easily the best team in London, by quite some distance.

Yes, it's more than just London, but you don't turn down a treble winning side for a "project", unless staying in London is a massive factor. He's not choosing you because he thinks - that City team is on a downward spiral and Arsenal will overtake them. If he did he'd need to give his head a wobble.

sixdwarf

Bur Mount and Rice are very different players. You wouldn't replace a forward looking midfielder with a limited overpriced defensive midfielder. We have made this mistake before. We sought to replace creativity when Scholes and Giggs retired by bringing in the likes of past their best CDMs Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin. It is like saying we are gonna miss out on Messi, so let's go for De Jong. We are never gonna get Kane, so let's get in Hojberg.

Our priority is a striker and creative midfielder. And we should not even be contemplating losing McTominay who is too valuable to us especially with this transfer mess up shenanigans.

Oranges038

OrcaFat

He's said it before when he was linked with a move away, remember reading it at the time. This what I could find, the overlap video is on youtube too, I haven't watched it to find the direct quotes but they should be in there.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/footbal...uth-west-london-amid-t_sto8753491/story.shtml

Thanks very much for posting this.

However, the article says he wants to stay “close” but that is not what he says. In the programme, he is walking around his childhood recreation ground, reminiscing and saying how he still is close to people he spent time with there and the phrase he uses is that always wants to stay “connected” to them. Gary Neville later asks him what his future holds, Rice talks about big clubs being interested and rumours and stuff and he says nothing about London, he says the number one thing for him is to win things and he reels off Prem, UCL, cups, the lot. I think City would turn his head quite easily.

TopDog

Supports
Bolton
Arsenal will crash and burn next season ffs :lol:
I am pretty sure you thought that last season, and likely the season before as you personally have a weird hatred of them, when in reality they are way ahead of Man Utd and the only teams they will compete with next season are City and possibly Liverpool. If you think Utd will finish above them, go and put your money on it. I guarantee you won't.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I am pretty sure you thought that last season, and likely the season before as you personally have a weird hatred of them, when in reality they are way ahead of Man Utd and the only teams they will compete with next season are City and possibly Liverpool. If you think Utd will finish above them, go and put your money on it. I guarantee you won't.
Unless United get in a half decent striker they'll be struggling to make top 4 never mind compete with Arsenal

OrcaFat

I don’t think there is as much between us and Arsenal as all that. With the extra games Arsenal will be playing next season, I think the gap will close. Not if we don’t sign anyone decent of course.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
:lol: you've convinced yourself at least. He wants to stay in London and at the moment you are easily the best team in London, by quite some distance.

Yes, it's more than just London, but you don't turn down a treble winning side for a "project", unless staying in London is a massive factor. He's not choosing you because he thinks - that City team is on a downward spiral and Arsenal will overtake them. If he did he'd need to give his head a wobble.
There are many reasons we all chose one employer over another when given a choice. We see transfers from the side of being fans only and sometimes we should give players the benefit of the doubt that there are other factors besides money and quick trophies that influence their choices. When City came into the league with their new owners, I could clearly remember a lot of fans saying that these players aren't moving for the "project" but only for the money. They eventually won the league in few years time. What I'm saying is, we are shortsighted as fans and just need to be happy a player actually WANTS to play for a club. It's rare these days.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There are many reasons we all chose one employer over another when given a choice. We see transfers from the side of being fans only and sometimes we should give players the benefit of the doubt that there are other factors besides money and quick trophies that influence their choices. When City came into the league with their new owners, I could clearly remember a lot of fans saying that these players aren't moving for the "project" but only for the money. They eventually won the league in few years time. What I'm saying is, we are shortsighted as fans and just need to be happy a player actually WANTS to play for a club. It's rare these days.
I think he does obviously want to go for the project, but you have to be a special kind of stupid to think Arsenal's project is likely to be more successful than what City have built.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
I think he does obviously want to go for the project, but you have to be a special kind of stupid to think Arsenal's project is likely to be more successful than what City have built.
Just think about this.
You have a job offer from a company to join a team who does kick ass work. But you will be a junior to mid level employee.
And you have an offer from an up and coming company who aspires to do kick ass works and have shown early signs that they can, has a good young team and you can join them and be one of the senior guys (Both pay similar). Which would you pick? Regardless which ever you pick its a personal choice.

By your logic no one would work in an up and coming startup and while most dont but some do willingly and that their preference.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Just think about this.
You have a job offer from a company to join a team who does kick ass work. But you will be a junior to mid level employee.
And you have an offer from an up and coming company who aspires to do kick ass works and have shown early signs that they can, has a good young team and you can join them and be one of the senior guys (Both pay similar). Which would you pick? Regardless which ever you pick its a personal choice.

By your logic no one would work in an up and coming startup and while most dont but some do willingly and that their preference.
Your analogy conveniently forgets this company is the absolute pinnacle in their field and the industry is so unique, you can't compare it to a normal job.

I work for a fintech start up, I moved to learn new skills and be involved from software development from scratch and moved from a very successful company in the industry. I'm not naive enough to think we will be bigger and better than my old company anytime soon, if ever, because they're light years ahead of where we are.

Robbie Boy

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.