Declan Rice

Giggsyking

Dont judge him on today. He is like that only few times in the season, specially against us. The rest of the season, he is a mediocre player.

Trequarista10

Good player. Ship has probably sailed for us though after signing Casemiro.
Think West Ham have been pricing him out of a move anyway to be honest. I'd take him, but not for £100m or such figures touted previously. In an ideal world he'd run his contract down which expires in '25 and we'd nab him on a free as Casemiro enters his final year. West Ham will ultimately sell for less some before then though. Think he'd be a fine signing for most top 7 clubs for the right price. Will probably end up at his boyhood club Chelsea, unless he gets tempted by Newcastle maybe. Arsenal and Liverpool might be interested but he'll pick Chelsea over them. Kante replacement.

Anduin

Surprised to see the comments here, I thought he was very average, even against a tired United midfield. English tax for the fee aside, he looked like a player whose ceiling is West Ham. Even without Casemiro it would feel like under Ole when we bought Wan Bissaka and Maguire, just to have an English core. Do not want, let Chelsea pay the premium fee West Ham will ask for.

Meller

Surprised to see the comments here, I thought he was very average, even against a tired United midfield. English tax for the fee aside, he looked like a player whose ceiling is West Ham. Even without Casemiro it would feel like under Ole when we bought Wan Bissaka and Maguire, just to have an English core. Do not want, let Chelsea pay the premium fee West Ham will ask for.
Yeah I agree with this, he's a decent player don't get me wrong but he's pretty limited and fail to impress me every time I watch him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I agree with this, he's a decent player don't get me wrong but he's pretty limited and fail to impress me every time I watch him.
Not to mention many defensive minded players have looked a lot better than they are under Moyes' compact underdog system.

Lescott, Jagielka, Gravesen, Hibbert prime examples.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Not to mention many defensive minded players have looked a lot better than they are under Moyes' compact underdog system.

Lescott, Jagielka, Gravesen, Hibbert prime examples.
He does look pretty good for England as well. And they're not a defensive... Nevermind.

Kag

Rice is a brilliant player. He’s everywhere. Looking like that playing under David Moyes is quite the talent.

Litch

Thought he was brilliant today and can see him in a Chelsea or Liverpool shirt for Henderson

dbs235

He's a good player and really good at nipping infront of players and cutting out attacks. The only problem is he's worth far more to West Ham than he'd be worth to buy for. Same problem that many players at similar clubs have, e.g Barnes, Maddison, Zaha.

Robertd0803

Has there ever been a player that gets such mixed reviews? Literally the last page is 50/50 of he was rubbish today/brilliant today and he would be great for us/waste of money etc.

And its every time hes mentioned.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m not sure how useful he would be in a top team. Good player though

arnie_ni

He doesn't have the passing range but he is good running with the ball. His defensive ability has never been an issue

BerryBerryShrew

He'd cost a similar amount to Bellingham and we all know who has the higher ceiling between the two of them.

Reckon he's a player who suits a team that plays on the back foot, where he can sit back a bit clearing up danger and not having to do much else.

Put him a team where he needs to play forward and dictate tempo aswell and I don't think he has the ability. The contrast with him and Casemiro was there for all to see.

mctrials23

Reckon he's a player who suits a team that plays on the back foot, where he can sit back a bit clearing up danger and not having to do much else.

Put him a team where he needs to play forward and dictate tempo aswell and I don't think he has the ability. The contrast with him and Casemiro was there for all to see.
This is always the tricky part of picking up players from teams that play completely differently to how you want to play. Maguire is slow but thats OK if you are sitting deep and playing on the counter like Leicester. AwB is a very good tackler which is great if you are under pressure all game and want to nullify wingers. Not so great if you want to play more expressive football.

Thought Rice was great yesterday honestly.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's a good player and really good at nipping infront of players and cutting out attacks. The only problem is he's worth far more to West Ham than he'd be worth to buy for. Same problem that many players at similar clubs have, e.g Barnes, Maddison, Zaha.
Yep, and it's why his only way out of that club is to run his contract down.

He's going to have 2 years left on his deal after this season, so next summer is the last window West Ham can try and extract a huge fee for him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's why I laugh when people make Harry Kane a victim of his trophyless career.

It was his decision to sign a long new contract knowing Levy wouldn't let him leave, no one else's.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Has there ever been a player that gets such mixed reviews? Literally the last page is 50/50 of he was rubbish today/brilliant today and he would be great for us/waste of money etc.

And its every time hes mentioned.
I think it is partly due to his position. Unless people play as a deep lying player maker in that furthest back CM role it is hard to really get a highlight reel which is why some stat and highlight obsessed people will instantly go, 'he is crap' 'look at x, y or z' stat or 'what does he do well, I haven't seen it'.

For me, Rice is a solid 7/10 player. He never really dips below that level and he never really goes above that level; apart from a couple of times either way each season.

From my perspective, great teams always need a player like him, especially when they go through bad patches as he'll is pretty consistent, while he also looks to have a good attitude in that he won't act like a diva, nor will he end up self doubting much.

The problem he really has however, is that he locked himself into a ridiculously long contract with West Ham (6 years essentially) and he is West Ham's best player. Added to that is the English tax he has as an added premium.

For me, he can easily play for a top 4 club, however he equally isn't worth to a top 4 team what he is worth to West Ham. Tbf to him, it looks like he knows this, which is why he hasn't signed any sort of further extentions. However, I still think it won't be until Summer 2024 he gets his move at the earliest as he needs to get into a more realistic price range.

crossy1686

career ending
I’m getting very sick of watching him absolutely dominate our midfield on his own. Every single time.
He didn't dominate anything.

Rice saw so much of the ball yesterday because we allowed him to. He has no end product so we allowed him to pick the ball up deep in his own half and carry it until he made a dodgy pass or gave it away. Zero vision, no through balls, everything went square or within 10 yards. Players like that can have the ball as much as they want.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’m getting very sick of watching him absolutely dominate our midfield on his own. Every single time.
Absolute rubbish. We were in complete control of the midfield until about 75 minutes in. People just see what they want to see when they rate a player.

crossy1686

career ending
Absolute rubbish. We were in complete control of the midfield until about 75 minutes in. People just see what they want to see when they rate a player.
It's a media narrative people have fully bought into without watching his game closely, and because he's English. That lad at Brighton is better than Rice but you don't hear much about him of course.

phelans shorts

It's a media narrative people have fully bought into without watching his game closely, and because he's English. That lad at Brighton is better than Rice but you don't hear much about him of course.
Or it’s not and you’re talking absolute nonsense. Rice was cutting us out when we got forwards for fun yesterday (as evidenced by Bruno’s shocker) and when Eriksen started to tire he took complete control of the game.

That doesn’t suit the English = shit narrative folk love to peddle though, does it.

crossy1686

career ending
Or it’s not and you’re talking absolute nonsense. Rice was cutting us out when we got forwards for fun yesterday (as evidenced by Bruno’s shocker) and when Eriksen started to tire he took complete control of the game.

That doesn’t suit the English = shit narrative folk love to peddle though, does it.
Anyone can run around and break up play, those players are ten a penny in most leagues, where it counts he offers nothing of note, look at his stats, watch him for more than the time he’s on the ball or putting a tackle in.

If he’s as good as you say he is, and he ‘dominates’ then why is he ‘dominating’ at West Ham? Surely a midfielder that ‘dominates’ top 6 sides would play for a top 6 side no? Even at £100m that’s a steal.

He’s limited, he’s just a better version of McTomminay.

phelans shorts

Anyone can run around and break up play, those players are ten a penny in most leagues, where it counts he offers nothing of note, look at his stats, watch him for more than the time he’s on the ball or putting a tackle in.

If he’s as good as you say he is, and he ‘dominates’ then why is he ‘dominating’ at West Ham? Surely a midfielder that ‘dominates’ top 6 sides would play for a top 6 side no? Even at £100m that’s a steal.

He’s limited, he’s just a better version of McTomminay.
My word you’re clueless. I mean I knew that already, but yeesh.

I’ve watched him on and off the ball every time he’s come up here, and on the rare occasions West Ham games don’t clash with our own, and his off the ball play is even better than his very good on the ball play. If his name was Dominico Ricci he’d be the most sought after player on this site, bar none.

The eye test is far superior than whatever contextless stats you want to pretend show him as not being good, and it shows time and again that you’re wrong.

crossy1686

career ending
My word you’re clueless. I mean I knew that already, but yeesh.

I’ve watched him on and off the ball every time he’s come up here, and on the rare occasions West Ham games don’t clash with our own, and his off the ball play is even better than his very good on the ball play. If his name was Dominico Ricci he’d be the most sought after player on this site, bar none.

The eye test is far superior than whatever contextless stats you want to pretend show him as not being good, and it shows time and again that you’re wrong.
Ah yes, the stats are shit but it's the eye test that really counts. Got it.

You hear that Messi? Put all your trophies in the bin.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

It's sort of moot anyway cause Rice always fails the eye test.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's quality but he's not better than Casemiro and that ends the discussion for the foreseeable future as we aren't going to spend on a blockbuster signing, twice in two years for the same position. There's a good chance he'll end up at either Chelsea or Liverpool as both need him more than we do.

MUnchies

You have to be the most clueless poster on the CAF. Wasn't you that said Osimhem is shit and is nothing to write home about?
Rice dominatng our midfield :lol: You must be blind too in addition to your cluelessness

phelans shorts

Weird to use the player who best passes the eye test as an example that the eye test doesn’t work. Almost like you’re utterly clueless, again.
You have to be the most clueless poster on the CAF. Wasn't you that said Osimhem is shit and is nothing to write home about?
Rice dominatng our midfield :lol: You must be blind too in addition to your cluelessness
You really don’t understand the phrase “nothing to write home about”, do you? If you think it means someone/something is shit then you might want to look it up.