Declan Rice

MUnchies

Weird to use the player who best passes the eye test as an example that the eye test doesn’t work. Almost like you’re utterly clueless, again.

You really don’t understand the phrase “nothing to write home about”, do you? If you think it means someone/something is shit then you might want to look it up.
What? go look it up. A quick google search will tell you it means "mediocre, unexceptional, not exciting or special"
Wow you really are clueless :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
3 things in life are guaranteed.

Death, taxes, Declan Rice fanboys coming out of the woodwork when he does something above average

mav_9me

I think he is great but most definitely not 100m £ great.

In any case we have Casemiro. He is not for us. That's great news.

crossy1686

career ending
Weird to use the player who best passes the eye test as an example that the eye test doesn’t work. Almost like you’re utterly clueless, again.

You really don’t understand the phrase “nothing to write home about”, do you? If you think it means someone/something is shit then you might want to look it up.
My friend, you're the one championing Rice as a 'dominator' of midfields, when it's painfully clear to see that teams don't even bother to press him because that's the level of threat they consider him to be. If you want to keep banging that drum then we will respectfully agree to disagree, but if Rice was anywhere near as good as you say he is, an elite team would have spent whatever money they needed to last summer to land someone who 'dominates' midfields.

The reality is Rice is just another DM that's comfortable on the ball and can intercept a pass, there are literally hundred's of players like him on the continent.

phelans shorts

My friend, you're the one championing Rice as a 'dominator' of midfields, when it's painfully clear to see that teams don't even bother to press him because that's the level of threat they consider him to be. If you want to keep banging that drum then we will respectfully agree to disagree, but if Rice was anywhere near as good as you say he is, an elite team would have spent whatever money they needed to last summer to land someone who 'dominates' midfields.

The reality is Rice is just another DM that's comfortable on the ball and can intercept a pass, there are literally hundred's of players like him on the continent.
We literally brought McTominay on to mark him less than 24 hours ago

phelans shorts

We brought McTomminay on for his height and extra legs in the midfield. We switched to 4-3-3 because Antonio came on and they changed shape.
Which doesn’t explain why McTominay immediately went forward to a position that he doesn’t usually play and was next to Rice whenever we lost the ball. Like he was marking him. Because he was.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think he is great but most definitely not 100m £ great.

In any case we have Casemiro. He is not for us. That's great news.
No-one does, hence why he's still at West Ham. When the crazy fees were being talked about, I knew he had no way out of West Ham unless he ran his contract down, which is what is happening.

MUnchies

And he isn’t exceptional, so I was correct.

What I had to eat last night was good but not exceptional, I wouldn’t write home about that either.
He is exceptional and definitely exciting to watch and isn't mediocre at all. What the feck has Felix done the past 2 years for him to be "something to write home about?"

Anyways I am not going to derail the thread. Adios

Threesus

Instead of chasing after someone like frenkie, we should be all over this guy. He single handedly dominated Bruno,eriksen, casemiro, Fred and mct. He has a good motor as well and a leader. We don’t need the guy who accepts being on the bench for the likes of gavi/ washed up busquets.

crossy1686

career ending
Instead of chasing after someone like frenkie, we should be all over this guy. He single handedly dominated Bruno,eriksen, casemiro, Fred and mct. He has a good motor as well and a leader. We don’t need the guy who accepts being on the bench for the likes of gavi/ washed up busquets.
Jesus wept...

Abraxas

He's good, I thought he very much held his own against Casemiro and Eriksen at Old Trafford. He wasn't dominating or anything, in fact we had the better of things at the start but in the first half he helped them defend. Towards the end of the game as we lost the plot he probably had a grip on things so he grew in the game and showed what a physical force he is.

Ultimately he's a great defender and a powerful runner, it feels as if the people that deny he's a very good player are waiting for him to curl one off the outside of his boot 40 yards out to the wing or something. He's never going to be that player with an expansive passing range, and he's never worth what West Ham want but if you do buy him you get an excellent player, no doubt about it. He would massively improve Chelsea for instance.

bringbackbebe

ETH wants FDJ because he fits into the system he expects us to adapt into and play. Even if Pele was available, if he doesn't fit the system, he doesn't serve a purpose. Declan Rice was really good yesterday and he's a fantastic player. Just not what we want. He'd be better off at Chelsea or Liverpool. If we get him, instead of McFred burger, we'll have Fred Fried Rice that looks and tastes the same.

Davicho

His weakness would be exposed at a big club. Tottenham's level at best.

Wing Attack Plan R

Rice's agent is getting desperate, it appears.

youngrell

Are you serious? West Ham (and Rice) had about 7-8 minutes of the game in the first half, and a late onslaught of direct football for the last 20 minutes in the second after Antonio arrived on the pitch. He didn't dominate anything.

Andersonson

It's simple, fans who sat in Carrick are the same fans who don't rate Rice. Some just cannot understand that doing the simple thing is the hardest part of football sometimes. Carrick got literally abused on Twitter etc for being boring and playing sideways. Some fans just want two Pogba's just like on FM, yet it never works in real life

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He did absolutely nothing of the sort :lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's simple, fans who sat in Carrick are the same fans who don't rate Rice. Some just cannot understand that doing the simple thing is the hardest part of football sometimes. Carrick got literally abused on Twitter etc for being boring and playing sideways. Some fans just want two Pogba's just like on FM, yet it never works in real life
He’s nothing like Carrick. Carrick didn’t keep it simple, he made difficult aspects of midfield seem simple.

mav_9me

No-one does, hence why he's still at West Ham. When the crazy fees were being talked about, I knew he had no way out of West Ham unless he ran his contract down, which is what is happening.
Yes agreed. Good point.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’m getting very sick of watching him absolutely dominate our midfield on his own. Every single time.
They didn't dominate the game

Best moment of the match was when the commentator said he has magic in his feet. Oh how I laughed.

Andersonson

He’s nothing like Carrick. Carrick didn’t keep it simple, he made difficult aspects of midfield seem simple.
Fergie said in several interviews that Carrick keeps it simple so the game flows. Thats what i mean. Of course it isnt simple do to, its the hardest part of football, but its still not appreciated enough.

Anduin

Carrick was a far superior player to Rice in pretty much every aspect, except maybe mobility. His passing range alone sets him apart, and his football intelligence was only second to Scholes in our squad. I agree that he wasn’t rated properly maybe up until 2011 by large parts of our fan base, but you’re doing him a disservice comparing him to Rice, who, to be fair, still has a lot of time to develop his own game. I doubt he will ever have Carrick’s passing range, vision and football intelligence though. I would kill to have a mid-20s Michael Carrick joining us now, it would make us unstoppable.

Roux

Not similar players at in my opinion. Rice likes to run with the ball, press and make tackles. Carrick would sit in pockets and pass through lines all night long without breaking a stride. A player like Carrick is a rarity, whereas there are far cheaper alternatives to what Rice offers.

Casemiro seems to have both their abilities combined.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He’s limited, he’s just a better version of McTomminay.
Such an odd thing to say.

Technically, Keane was also just a better version of McTominay. A much, much better version of McTominay. And Cristiano (peak) is just a better* version of Depay.
* much, much, much...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Such a polarising last few pages :lol:

As usual I think the reality is somewhere in the middle. He's a good player.

Robbie Boy

I loved and wanted Carrick, and I think Rice is fairly wank. So, theory dispelled.