Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If we cannot get him for circa 40 million, then he is not worth it. 90 million, jesus.

jamesjimmybyrondean

So he's worth 90m. 40m and Lingard is the highest we should go and that's definitely not 90m. We shouldn't even consider him at this point he's worth 2 good players. Chelsea can probably offer Barkley and Abraham and cash

OrcaFat

But signing a DM isnt adding nuance, its changing how we play. What use is Rice when Maguire and another are stepping beyond him with the ball?
We also play 4-2-3-1 and in that formation neither midfielder can be a sitting DM. In a 4-3-3 we would use Rice but thst isnt how we play. We need better versions of Fred and McTominay, not a Declan Rice.
I’m not averse to signing anyone who is a better version of McT and Fred.

However, we only play so called 4231 because of the personnel we have. Even so, the two can comprise one more defensive player and one more attacking or all-rounder type.

A DM is rather useful if you have a CB who runs into the oppo box, especially a Rice type who can play CB and drop in there temporarily.

OrcaFat

Surely there's a better option from another league for half the price.

They can go and shite for 90m.
There are plenty of cheaper options from other leagues. Proven premiership quality has some value, of course. £90m sounds steep.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
90m? No thanks. That's just a little lower than Haaland, Kane, Mbappe, and more expensive than Sancho.

Wouldn't pay more than 40-50m for him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've just read the article, and Matt Law is reporting that it will cost at least £90m to sign him and the player's preference is to join Chelsea over United and City . He goes on to say that Chelsea will attempt to use Tammy Abraham in a potential deal, and if that fails, they will turn to Aurelien Tchouameni or Julian Weigl as cheaper alternatives.

croadyman

Given how we operate it's possible but doesn't make any sense as Pogba isn't a DM and we have been playing him LW, and Van de Beek barely plays at all and when he does it's usually as a #10.
Yeah doesn't to me either and as for West Ham valuing him at £90m well there are more rounded options elsewhere

croadyman

I've just read the article, and Matt Law is reporting that it will cost at least £90m to sign him and the player's preference is to join Chelsea over United and City . He goes on to say that Chelsea will attempt to use Tammy Abraham in a potential deal, and if that fails, they will turn to Aurelien Tchouameni or Julian Weigl as cheaper alternatives.
We should be looking at the cheaper alternatives too and no I don't mean Arrambarri either

Joseunited

Nothing wrong with Weigl.I'd take him.

CM

If the £90m figure is even close to being true forget it. There are some valid concerns about Rice anyway, and we could legitimately get two good level midfielders for that.

Reminds me a bit of when Leicester wanted £80m for Maddison. Would've improved us a bit at the time but wasn't exactly the missing piece either. Thankfully we ducked that one and went on to sign Fernandes for a more reasonable fee.

OrcaFat

If the £90m figure is even close to being true forget it. There are some valid concerns about Rice anyway, and we could legitimately get two good level midfielders for that.

Reminds me a bit of when Leicester wanted £80m for Maddison. Would've improved us a bit at the time but wasn't exactly the missing piece either. Thankfully we ducked that one and went on to sign Fernandes for a more reasonable fee.
For £90m you get two VdBs.

48 hours

Not worth anywhere near £90 million. Bet they plead poverty when it comes to bidding for Lingard too

cyberman

I
I’m not averse to signing anyone who is a better version of McT and Fred.

However, we only play so called 4231 because of the personnel we have. Even so, the two can comprise one more defensive player and one more attacking or all-rounder type.

A DM is rather useful if you have a CB who runs into the oppo box, especially a Rice type who can play CB and drop in there temporarily.
It had to be be 4-2-3-1 to get the best out of Bruno though. If you have Rice sitting and Bruno supplying the strikers then we will lose every midfield battle to a midfield 3. City with their false 9 will destroy us, for example.

CM

For £90m you get two VdBs.
Or two Fabinhos. Or three Bellinghams.

Let's be honest if there's no better value out there than Declan Rice for £90m we might as well all pack up now and start watching cricket.

eire-red

Given we didn't hand over that type of money for genuine world class talent in Sancho last summer, we can safely say that we won't be spending 90m on Rice.

Dazzmondo

Imo this one is completely gone with the combo of suggestions he'd cost £90m, a lot of recent suggestions that Lingard will be returning to Utd, and now Chelsea are interested again. Time for our scouts to do some serious work. Find an unknown gem. I'm sure there are plenty of great talents for this role in less well-followed European leagues. It will be more of a risk but frankly there are no great players available in this position if Rice and Ndidi are not options, so if we were to take a risk in any position it should probably be this one.

Swedish_Plumber

If Rice is worth 90 million then Jesse is worth 45. Really needs to be some sort of change in the market value of players, can’t imagine how much the likes of Rooney and Rio would’ve been valued at by their respective clubs before we signed them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Imo this one is completely gone with the combo of suggestions he'd cost £90m, a lot of recent suggestions that Lingard will be returning to Utd, and now Chelsea are interested again. Time for our scouts to do some serious work. Find an unknown gem. I'm sure there are plenty of great talents for this role in less well-followed European leagues. It will be more of a risk but frankly there are no great players available in this position if Rice and Ndidi are not options, so if we were to take a risk in any position it should probably be this one.
The scouts will have the reports on numerous players from around Europe and the world. But it depends on Solskjaer if he wants us to take a chance on Declan Rice or a Aurelien Tchouameni from Monaco, if I was to use one example.

hungrywing

'Member when a few people posted a bunch of graphs/stats showing that - providing they're accurate - he's nowhere near as good as made out to be.

I 'member.

Maybe it's English tax + Brexit tax now.

OrcaFat

It had to be be 4-2-3-1 to get the best out of Bruno though. If you have Rice sitting and Bruno supplying the strikers then we will lose every midfield battle to a midfield 3. City with their false 9 will destroy us, for example.
Sounds like your idea of how we would play with Rice is different to what I imagine.

In my opinion, Rice would make the team more flexible. I think we would play a variation on 4231 with Rice being in charge of the midfield, usually the deepest midfielder but not isolated there. McT is not my favourite player but would be a good foil for Rice, could get closer to Bruno when we’re going forward (he can’t really do that now because he has no idea where Fred is charging off to). To me the balance would be very good. If we can upgrade McT while we’re at it, great.

We’ll find out if we actually buy Rice, I suppose. (Although I doubt we will.)

I’m sceptical about us buying anyone who would be a clear upgrade on what we have.

Dazzmondo

The scouts will have the reports on numerous players from around Europe and the world. But it depends on Solskjaer if he wants us to take a chance on Declan Rice or a Aurelien Tchouameni from Monaco, if I was to use one example.
Tchoumeni would have been my first recommendation tbh so I would hope he'd be open to going for him, especially if available for a reasonable price.

SATA

Chelsea can sign him and have him for 90M. Even 70M is too much for me. Is the Getafe midfielder at 20M odd any good? He is from Uruguay so maybe Cavani will have some input on him

jamesjimmybyrondean

Soumare is 20m. Bissouma is 30m. Locatelli and Tchouameni are 35m. DM is arguably top priority. What is concerning is that bar Rice, these are the popular DM names out there and other English clubs have been linked to these players while we haven't.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Tchoumeni would have been my first recommendation tbh so I would hope he'd be open to going for him, especially if available for a reasonable price.
He's had a very good season and has shown remarkable consistency in performance. He would likely cost less than half of what West Ham are asking for Declan Rice imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.