Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mav_9me

Soumare is 20m. Bissouma is 30m. Locatelli and Tchouameni are 35m. DM is arguably top priority. What is concerning is that bar Rice, these are the popular DM names out there and other English clubs have been linked to these players while we haven't.
I wouldn't worry about links. They have no clue anyway.

Dazzmondo

He's had a very good season and has shown remarkable consistency in performance. He would likely cost less than half of what West Ham are asking for Declan Rice imo.
I wasn't sure what his cost would be but I assumed it would be relatively low due to the financial issues in Ligue 1 post-covid. Monaco is one of the richer teams so I thought it could potentially be higher. If he truly only costs what you expect it should be a no brainer imo

jackal&hyde

Could working with Carrick help improve that side of his game or should we looking elsewhere
I don't think so. Players like Carrick either have that in them or not. Best we can hope for with Rice is a version of Kante, Makelele type destroyer. If he is as good at being the sole holding mid then he can improve us a lot imo as we can have Pogba and Bruno (and DVB) in a mid 3.

As a pure all round midfielder, Rice is very average imo so he better be WC in the defensive aspect if we go for him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So he's worth 90m. 40m and Lingard is the highest we should go and that's definitely not 90m. We shouldn't even consider him at this point he's worth 2 good players. Chelsea can probably offer Barkley and Abraham and cash
They can’t afford lingard but really want him, hence they are artificially putting the rice price up.

the Rice is right!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I agree with the people who says it can be hard to see the best of him or actually see what he would bring to a top class team.

However, after looking at ages - I found a YouTube video I can see it a bit clearer.

OrcaFat

I agree with the people who says it can be hard to see the best of him or actually see what he would bring to a top class team.

However, after looking at ages - I found a YouTube video I can see it a bit clearer.

Well it’s a highlights reel but gives a good flavour if what he’s capable of.

For all the money we can save by buying one of the latest hot properties from France or wherever, Rice is premiership proven.

He has fantastic character - he plays with passion and aggression but he tackles responsibly. He’s a proper team player and exactly the profile Ole looks for. (Might only be for a season but a spine of Maguire Rice and Cavini is a proper Utd spine).

He would instantly improve us and is only 22!

I don’t actually think £90m is outrageous. We won’t pay it obviously but that would be a shame.

bsCallout

Soumare is 20m. Bissouma is 30m. Locatelli and Tchouameni are 35m. DM is arguably top priority. What is concerning is that bar Rice, these are the popular DM names out there and other English clubs have been linked to these players while we haven't.
Linked to the Getafe CDM. I'd take that risk and bring back Garner rather than get Rice.

Devil may care

Yeah doesn't to me either and as for West Ham valuing him at £90m well there are more rounded options elsewhere
If that's really the price then West Ham might as well just say he's not for sale as nobody is paying that for him, even with a player thrown in.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Soumare going to Leicester seemingly uncontested blows my mind. He'll be worth at least double what they're paying in a couple of seasons.
Makes you wonder if our scouts just don’t do their job or if they’re just simply ignored.

Withnail

Nah. Just won't stand out enough to make people think "yeah that's a 100m euros midfielder" and someone else might shine brighter
I dunno. It's quite easy to flatter to deceive international level. Some decent performances against poor opposition and at the euros and your agent/club is sticking an extra 20 - 30m on your price tag.

Stacks

Well it’s a highlights reel but gives a good flavour if what he’s capable of.

For all the money we can save by buying one of the latest hot properties from France or wherever, Rice is premiership proven.

He has fantastic character - he plays with passion and aggression but he tackles responsibly. He’s a proper team player and exactly the profile Ole looks for. (Might only be for a season but a spine of Maguire Rice and Cavini is a proper Utd spine).

He would instantly improve us and is only 22!

I don’t actually think £90m is outrageous. We won’t pay it obviously but that would be a shame.
Is this still a thing? Not many of Pep or Klopp's signings were prem proven yet they have been the dominant teams in recent years. This is an old skool out of touch mentality. As Neville said, when you look at the world 11, most of the players are not in England (prem proven) so tis a nonsense way to be scouting and valuing nowadays.

Rice isn't the only player who plays with passion and aggression and is a team player. These are the most basic and common of attributes to find in a midfielder

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Soumare going to Leicester seemingly uncontested blows my mind. He'll be worth at least double what they're paying in a couple of seasons.
Soumare is a project that has defensive defeciencies that need ironing out. I've mentioned him before as a potential signing, but he still needs to improve his game and he wouldn't be a signing that comes straight into our team, eventhough I like his ability.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is this still a thing? Not many of Pep or Klopp's signings were prem proven yet they have been the dominant teams in recent years. This is an old skool out of touch mentality. As Neville said, when you look at the world 11, most of the players are not in England (prem proven) so tis a nonsense way to be scouting and valuing nowadays.

Rice isn't the only player who plays with passion and aggression and is a team player. These are the most basic and common of attributes to find in a midfielder
Agreed. We should broaden our horizons.

Ludens the Red

We paid 80 million for Maguire.

our club would have no problem paying 90 million for Rice.

The concept of value for money for those running our transfers simply doesn’t exist.

Judas

Open to offers
Soumare is a project that has defensive defeciencies that need ironing out. I've mentioned him before as a potential signing, but he still needs to improve his game and he wouldn't be a signing that comes straight into our team, eventhough I like his ability.
As much as I agree, its another brilliant talent slipping away that'll we'll want later and have to pay dearly for him. That's where my pain comes from. For him its a brilliant move, PL team, decent side, play good football, perfect place to grow and improve before going onto the bigger things.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Like I've said before, Solskjaer isn't naive and will know how much money he will have to spend. He can either spend the bulk of it on one player or sign 3 players for reasonable sums. But if Solskjaer is fixated on players who cost ridiculous amounts of money, then don't be surprised when you hear that he wasn't backed.

I'm pretty confident if we had a strategy to spend most of our budget on players in France, we would improve our first team exponentionally.

DWelbz19

I actually agree, and generally speaking clubs like Leicester have all the benefit of making signings like Fofana and Soumare without much less risk and scrutiny compared to us.

But in this case, Soumare is rumoured to be £20m (Romano). Declan Rice isn’t so much better that he justifies a transfer fee three to four times that amount. It’s insane stuff.

It’s not so much about Soumare specifically, it’s more the fact that players of similar ages and profiles are out there. It’s not like Rice is the be all and end all here.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
As much as I agree, its another brilliant talent slipping away that'll we'll want later and have to pay dearly for him. That's where my pain comes from. For him its a brilliant move, PL team, decent side, play good football, perfect place to grow and improve before going onto the bigger things.
You will probably be proven correct. But at this stage he needs regular game time and playing at Leicester under lower expectations is best for him.

DWelbz19

And of course — all of this is on the assumption that Rice is the main target. Sometimes the media haven’t a scooby and we pull one straight out the bag (Lukaku). I’m in blind hope that’s the case here.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Not many of Pep or Klopp's signings were prem proven yet they have been the dominant teams in recent years.
A bit 50/50 for Klopp?

«PL-proven»

Robertson, VvD, Winjaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaqiri, Mane and Jota.

From outside of the PL:

Thiago, Allison, Matip, Fabinho, Keita, Klavan, Karius and Salah?

Probably signed more players from abroad, but spent similar amount in the PL.

Also worth noting that his signings from the PL has, injury permiting, actually been a success and quite important for his team (jury is out on Jota but looks promising). Ox has been hampered by injuries. Shaqiri has been meh, but was also very cheap so probably what they expected.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I actually agree, and generally speaking clubs like Leicester have all the benefit of making signings like Fofana and Soumare without much less risk and scrutiny compared to us.

But in this case, Soumare is rumoured to be £20m (Romano). Declan Rice isn’t so much better that he justifies a transfer fee three to four times that amount. It’s insane stuff.

It’s not so much about Soumare specifically, it’s more the fact that players of similar ages and profiles are out there. It’s not like Rice is the be all and end all here.
I completely agree with you and have been banging this drum for sometime. Leicester for example can't dine at the top table, so adjust their expectations and have targeted the French league with great success. We could do the same but that will depend on the first team manager.

I could be wrong, but I'd have no problem if we signed Loic Bade, Camavinga and Tchouameni from France as our only transfers.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
A bit 50/50 for Klopp?

«PL-proven»

From outside of the PL:

Also worth noting that his signings from the PL has, injury permiting, actually been a success and quite important for his team (jury is out on Jota but looks promising). Ox has been hampered by injuries. Shaqiri has been meh, but was also very cheap so probably what they expected.
Salah is PL experienced too.

Pep had stones, De Bruyne, Mahrez, sterling, walker and Ake on top of the experience of players like aguero and silva that dominated the pl for other managers for near a decade.

Stacks

A bit 50/50 for Klopp?

«PL-proven»

From outside of the PL:

I should of said the majority wasn't. Jota has been good but I am unsure if he is THE guy. We'll have to assess when he plays full season and Liverpool get back to the top in terms of challenging for major honours. I am more about Mane, Vini, VVD and Robertson who were certainly good signings from the prem who helped them become a top side. Obviously teams will sign some players domestically as everyone does to a degree.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I love Rice, and I do think he'd solve the DM problems. But 90m is a ridiculous number. We can probably sign Varane/Kounde/Pau + someone like Bissouma for that amount and that for sure is worth a lot more points than just Rice.

I believe 40m + Lingard is all we should go for and if we aren't able to sign him for that amount, then look for alternatives

Stacks

Salah is PL experienced too.

Pep had stones, De Bruyne, Mahrez, sterling, walker and Ake on top of the experience of players like aguero and silva that dominated the pl for other managers for near a decade.
Salah was not prem proven as he was labelled a flop here. I'm talking about who the managers themselves signed for their teams. Aguero and Silva were not prem proven when they came but turned out excellent. De Bruyne became prem proven after being bought from abroad. Pep buys around 1 player from a EPL club per season.

Every player that plays for the team in the prem is prem proven but I am saying you don't have to buy from other prem teams in the prem to end up with a team of prem proven players.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Loic Bade, Camavinga and Tchouameni
That would be three exciting talents. But lets not forget, we are not exactly Brexit FC. Our horizon since 2015 has been quite broad, just not very good.

We have signed two player from Eredivise (Memphis and Donny), three from Italy (Pogba, Darmian, Diallo), four for Portugal (Lindelof, Bruno, Telles, Dalot) and one from Ukraine and one from Uruguay. We also signed Martial from Ligue 1 and Mhikitarian from Bundesliga (did not bother adding Scheinsteiger/Zlatan). In the same time space, I can only remember four from the PL (Maguire, AWB, Lukaku and Matic).

You make a good point about value signings, but MU have not been good at them.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I like Rice but not for £90m. £40m plus Lingard is more than reasonable.

I think Rice and either Pogba or McTominay would be a good midfield duo depending on whether we want more attacking edge or defensive solidarity.

Gog

We are not giving then 60m and Lingard and that would be the sensible thing
Quite right, and I am not suggesting that. I am suggesting we offer them 60m, with Lingard going the other way for 22m (a net difference of 38m).

If they want 70m for Rice, we want 32m for Lingod, still a net difference of 38m.

If they want 80m for Rice, we want 42m for Messi Lingard.

In other words, I think, that they need Lingard for 22m, more than we need Rice for 60m, but of course, we will see how it plays out.

Reactions: Sultan

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That would be three exciting talents. But lets not forget, we are not exactly Brexit FC. Our horizon since 2015 has been quite broad, just not very good.

We have signed two player from Eredivise (Memphis and Donny), three from Italy (Pogba, Darmian, Diallo), four for Portugal (Lindelof, Bruno, Telles, Dalot) and one from Ukraine and one from Uruguay. We also signed Martial from Ligue 1 and Mhikitarian from Bundesliga (did not bother adding Scheinsteiger/Zlatan). In the same time space, I can only remember four from the PL (Maguire, AWB, Lukaku and Matic).

You make a good point about value signings, but MU have not been good at them.
When I'm talking about broadening our horizons, I'm not talking about nationality.

What I'm saying is we should take a chance on players who are showing the potential today to become the player we want for tomorrow. Players like Tchouameni and Camavinga fall into that category IMO. Camavinga falls into that category due to his contract situation. Ultimately what I'm saying is that if we have a budget of a £100m, then sign 3 players within the allocated budget or else we spend the bulk of it on a singular target and then complain that the manager wasn't backed. Players in the EPL are very expensive because the league is awash with money. So the likes of West Ham, Leicester and Palace aren't under pressure to sell unless you offer them crazy amounts.

To compete with City's bottomless pit, we should broaden our horizons and take a chance or two on players that are showing a high level in France or Germany etc. Because with City, even if they fail with a big transfer, it's no big deal, due to the wealth of their owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.