Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Compare him to players like Fabinho, Fernandinho, Kante, Frankie De Jong, Veratti he's not in the same league whatsoever.

We don't need any more better than average players at United that will just get you top four and knocked out early in the champions league.
Yeah would love us to break the bank for either of the last two but not a chance Barca or PSG sell

amsodxb

Supports
Utd
He is tidy on the ball, but I struggle to think if his contribution can justify his price and wages considering that McT can be refocussed for the same role.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No one is even competing with Juventus to try to get him, which is surprising.

Locatelli———Pogba
Bruno

it looks not bad
Wouldn't be defensively strong enough IMO. Locatelli would be more a Pogba replacement in that formation, one more suited to play in the midfield two but who would still need his partner to be defensively solid. In theory at least a Locatelli-Fred combo could be a similar combination as the Jorginho-Kante duo that has established themselves as Chelsea's first choice and helped them to the CL title.

MadMike

Wouldn't be defensively strong enough IMO. Locatelli would be more a Pogba replacement in that formation, one more suited to play in the midfield two but who would still need his partner to be defensively solid. In theory at least a Locatelli-Fred combo could be a similar combination as the Jorginho-Kante duo that has established themselves as Chelsea's first choice and helped them to the CL title.
I feel it would be defensively fine for like 2/3s of our games. We dominate most teams anyway. We played a EL final with Pogba in CM next to McT without problems (we dominated the midfield and didn't concede chances, bar the set pieces).

But yes for the tough games against strong EPL opposition or for some tricky away European ties, then Locatelli and Fred behind Bruno/Pogba would be the best option.

In any case, can't really plan a future with Pogba unless he commits by signing a new contract. Which doesn't look like it's happening, right now anyway.

EDIT: We should really try to hijack Locatelli's move to Juve, but it doesn't even look like we're targeting him atm.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Very safe but lacks the adventure he shows at West Ham. Unfair to judge him on the way Southgate sets up

Mike Smalling

I would be seriously concerned if we paid anymore than 30m for him, and surely there are better options elsewhere.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
There was a time where there was a really nice gap that shaw was waiting for him to step into and he didn’t. He’s honestly not that good.

marktan

Looks very average out there. Don't think there's anything special about him at all. As I've said we should go to Brazil and find the next Fernandinho / Casemiro / Fabinho for cheaper

SoCross

Not seen enough of him at West Ham to comment but based on this tournament, not good enough on the ball for United. Thought a three man defence would free him up a bit and be a bit more expansive but doesn’t look like that.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Had a very important interception in the box before the save by Pickford.

Bebestation

I don’t care what people think but I really love him - from the tactical foul, to the constant repositioning, the way he always looks around for the opposition before the attack happens - the opposition don’t have A huge clear chance when he is in the central areas.

Not a single team has scored against us - whilst that’s not all on rice I believe he does have a significant influence on this fact.

All those times in previous tournaments Germany used to score against us with ease - Rice helps to stop that and I really appreciate what he brings.

Bebestation

Some people can only see what happens with a football on peoples foot.

Acting like England played with 10 players and still came out winning 2-0 against Germany and also not a single team has scored against us in the whole tournament. I value what he brings to the core.

Anyway not a player performance thread.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

This and the Grealish thread always getting bumped with zero links and 100% certainty that we are getting neither this window.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I dunno but I think he does an absolutely massive job for England at closing down space. Yes they play negatively, but Rice being so good at what he does actually makes it very effective. You almost never see anyone run through the middle and have a go at the England defenders, largely due to Rice IMO. Chances generally come from mistakes or long balls bypassing Rice.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just fired shots at West Ham.

”I’ve not been part of a team before that’s got a togetherness like this“

Bebestation

I dunno but I think he does an absolutely massive job for England at closing down space. Yes they play negatively, but Rice being so good at what he does actually makes it very effective. You almost never see anyone run through the middle and have a go at the England defenders, largely due to Rice IMO. Chances generally come from mistakes or long balls bypassing Rice.
Exactly - I think if Rice is not in this team there would be at least a goal or 2 scored against us this tournament.

He is just always in an area where the attack should and could happen before the attacker even gets there. The passes have To come from deeper or gets turned in to wider play.

Even in the secondhalf - you could see he was making runs forward much more when it was right to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.