Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
As an all-out defensive midfielder I think he's got some promise but, concerning United, I would still want much more from a central player other than one who's sole mission is to stop the opposition and play it simple.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
To be fair, I don't put any blame on Kane. The team was not set up to help his cause. If you're playing with 2 defensive minded footballers at least have a proper number 10 in the team. Mount was mainly playing around the halfway line either by design or circumstances. Only the coaches can answer that question.
Can’t disagree with any of that. However all the pundits were saying how effective he was in the first half, then Italy changed their shape. We never adapted

Inigo Montoya

England´s midfield could not create almost anything yesterday. They were lucky to get that fast goal and after that only tried to defend. Rice was good option for that but when Italy scored a goal, there was no creativity in midfield. He offers nothing else. I still say it, typical 30M player who would cost at least double. No thanks. We have already have Fred and McTominay.
I’d add that McT offers you a greater goal threat

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He was good yesterday but he didn't do anything I haven't seen McTominay do on occasions and given yesterday was Rice's best game by far suggests similar inconsistencies

Arran_Devil

Supports
United/Rangers
Honestly, I believe McTominay’s ceiling is higher than Rice’s.

Hammondo

Very good defensively, but if we want to play away from the defensive setups like England, and into a more dominant setup then he wont work.

He was actually quite decent. We knew Italy would control the midfield but he let them pass it around and focused on keeping them out of dangerous areas. It was only after Mancini changed tactics and he got tired that he struggled.

RUCK4444

As an all-out defensive midfielder I think he's got some promise but, concerning United, I would still want much more from a central player other than one who's sole mission is to stop the opposition and play it simple.
Agree, unless the player is costing a lot less than this one is.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Agree, unless the player is costing a lot less than this one is.
I'm interested to see how he continues to develop for West Ham next season, as I can't see anyone buying him this summer.

I certainly appreciated him more as England progressed, I must add.

Nick7

He was actually quite decent. We knew Italy would control the midfield but he let them pass it around and focused on keeping them out of dangerous areas. It was only after Mancini changed tactics and he got tired that he struggled.
yeah, the Immobile/Berardi sub really fecked with the England midfield. They were doing a good job before that. Southgate had no answer to it, and Italy started to prosper.

cyberman

Isnt that a problem? We knew the midfield would get dominated and it was just accepted?
Verrati never dominated a game like that v Scott and Fred.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I didn’t think he was great yesterday. Italy bossed midfield and Philips looked a much better player than him. In any event, he is definitely not worth what West Ham are looking for.

Isnt that a problem? We knew the midfield would get dominated and it was just accepted?
Verrati never dominated a game like that v Scott and Fred.
It is a problem, but it's not Rice's problem. Southgate accepted it and set us up to sit back and let them control the ball.

cyberman

It is a problem, but it's not Rice's problem. Southgate accepted it and set us up to sit back and let them control the ball.
I don't think thats true because Rice had licence to go and press in the first half. He seemed to drop back on his own accord and would explain why he was brought off for a more dynamic (maybe) Henderson.

RUCK4444

I'm interested to see how he continues to develop for West Ham next season, as I can't see anyone buying him this summer.

I certainly appreciated him more as England progressed, I must add.
I liked him in the first half of last nights game, they actually missed him when he went off as Henderson was woeful.

Agree, probably best for him to develop another year at West Ham before anybody blows their budget on him.

Inigo Montoya

I liked him in the first half of last nights game, they actually missed him when he went off as Henderson was woeful.

Agree, probably best for him to develop another year at West Ham before anybody blows their budget on him.
You mean Chelsea

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Yep, Henderson was totally non-existent and he's one of our main guys.

MDFC Manager

He was good yesterday but he didn't do anything I haven't seen McTominay do on occasions and given yesterday was Rice's best game by far suggests similar inconsistencies
I'm amazed that people think he was excellent today in the context of him being suitable or aspirational for our (United) midfield. He adds nothing new, and whatever he does add, isn't a significant improvement at all. People will still be pulling hairs whilst teams shit on our midfield and/or while our midfield fails to do anything of note.

Hulksmash

He's so bad at the ball, like Italy didn't even tried that hard and still dominated possession.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Bang average. United should stay away. Let others frustrate themselves over how limited he is.

OleBoiii

Is he really that much better than McTominay or Fred? And more importantly: how is his passing?

McTominay and Fred are both good players, but they aren't very good at passing the ball and keeping possession, which is kind of crucial when you play CM/DM. That's ultimately what we need. Having McTominay or Fred in the starting XI isn't the issue. The issue is when both start consistently.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is he really that much better than McTominay or Fred? And more importantly: how is his passing?

McTominay and Fred are both good players, but they aren't very good at passing the ball and keeping possession, which is kind of crucial when you play CM/DM. That's ultimately what we need. Having McTominay or Fred in the starting XI isn't the issue. The issue is when both start consistently.
Not better than McTominay or Fred.

Idxomer

He looks so awkward with the ball whenever he is in possession, even his runs yesterday were so forced.

Last edited:

Kaos

I'm changing my tone I think, I was quite keen on us breaking the bank for him, but after watching him more extensively in the Euros, I do now think its a classic case of an English player being ridiculously overhyped. I'm starting to think he wouldn't be too much an upgrade on McFred, certainly not for the fee West Ham are demanding. Hope we manage to get Camavinga over the line.

Dosse

Tbh i think Fred on a good day can throw a couple of juicy passes! But no, i dont think based on the latest NT starts for Rice, that he is the midfield gem we need.

Scottynaldinho

He's a 35m squad filler who could push for the first team from time to time when going through a purple patch. He's not a midfielder I'd want to either shield the defence or control the tempo.

I cannot believe you guys have been able to put on 182 pages worth of content for this. Quite an achievement.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Similar to Mctominay, his best game usually happens when his team plays the worst football.
He is pretty much McTominay, but better defensively

We need players like Verratti and Barella in midfield

Metronome midfield players
Agree with both of these posts. We need central midfielders who play their best football with, not without the ball.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Amazing how differently people see things.
I'm no Rice fan but thought he was a brilliant version of himself first half yesterday.
Even put in some great runs that relieved pressure which is not in his job description.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I'm no Rice fan but thought he was a brilliant version of himself first half yesterday.
Even put in some great runs that relieved pressure which is not in his job description.
He will thrive when you defend with 7 man and he will do that occasional great runs.

Problem is,, You play him against a packed defence and he is if no use. Don't get me wrong, there is a player in Rice but not worth the money Westham is asking. I will stick with McT.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Because we can see the bigger picture.

How often are United in that sort of situation? maybe 4/5 times as season?

We are usually the ones piling on the pressure and that is not where he excels.

He is good at doing what he did yesterday, sitting in a tightly packed team and nicking the ball, but that's about it.

All this "he'll make us defensively stronger, a 1 man midfield" just needs to look at how he got mugged off by Chiesa in a 1v1.

The White Pele

Really disappointed by him last night. There was a moment in the first half when he hoofed a loose ball clear into Italy’s half and out of play as if it were the last minute of the game. Needed to be braver, more composed and trust his ability.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He will thrive when you defend with 7 man and he will do that occasional great runs.

Problem is,, You play him against a packed defence and he is if no use. Don't get me wrong, there is a player in Rice but not worth the money Westham is asking. I will stick with McT.
Because we can see the bigger picture.

How often are United in that sort of situation? maybe 4/5 times as season?

We are usually the ones piling on the pressure and that is not where he excels.

He is good at doing what he did yesterday, sitting in a tightly packed team and nicking the ball, but that's about it.

All this "he'll make us defensively stronger, a 1 man midfield" just needs to look at how he got mugged off by Chiesa in a 1v1.
Yep these are fair points.
We sort of need the impossible really. A guy with the defensive mentality, but who is the playmaker too.
Very few are both.

Alive She Cried

I'm honestly baffled at some of the comments here, Italy's midfield completely controlled the game after the first 20 minutes. Rice is nowhere near the solution to our defensive midfield problem, he's just another version of McTominay. We need someone with genuine passing ability.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just curious, would Rice be praised in Germany, Brazil, Italy or Spain? And I mean really praised, not just tolerated because you don't have other options in midfield.

Judas

Open to offers
Really disappointed by him last night. There was a moment in the first half when he hoofed a loose ball clear into Italy’s half and out of play as if it were the last minute of the game. Needed to be braver, more composed and trust his ability.
Bit bizarre to point out that one early moment when he was pretty brilliant for the rest of the game? Maguire smashed one clear wildly too, really disappointed by him too?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think it's incredible we got to the final with Rice and Phillips in the side tbh. I wouldn't want either of them in the United team and I doubt Italy, Spain, France, Belgium etc are looking at our national team and wishing they had either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.