Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincantona

So, from what I’ve seen from him he’s defensively solid and is good at dribbling with the ball and breaking through the lines.. however his passing seems to be below par.

I’d rather we focus on someone who can get the ball, dictate play and help control the game from deep (Carrick).. and for the prices mentioned he really should be able to do everything.

I’ll pass thanks.
Care to identify this new Michael Carrick you’re speaking of...cause if he doesn’t actually exist then we may have to look elsewhere?

wolvored

I just hope we have learned from past summers and when we offer 70 mill and west ham say 100 we just walk away not put another offer in for 73 mill 6 weeks later then 75 6 weeks after that and when the transfer window shuts say we tried.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
When people say find another carrick to replace carrick, do they mean in much the same way we replaced Keane with carrick?

captaincantona

It’s clear we need a balanced midfield with options. Players that can operate effectively in either a 6-8-8 or a 6-6-8 kind of formation depending on the opponent. In that regard, there is no doubt Rice would improve us as part of that jigsaw. He is not some kind of one stop shop fix. The only questions are - does his price limit us from improving the rest of the team...is there someone more suitable?

the answer to the first question is a definite yes. He will cost too much and we need a striker. He is not going to revolutionise our midfield and so that kind of expenditure is out imo.

the answer to the second question is quite simply no though. He is proven and it’s hard to see him not slotting in and doing what he does immediately. I’m not sure I could take another€40 million signing that needs 18 months to settle in. We can’t afford to wait.

it’s a conundrum. plus, he really would be coming for money if he chose use over Chelsea so that’s never a good way to start a relationship.

Bestietom

It’s clear we need a balanced midfield with options. Players that can operate effectively in either a 6-8-8 or a 6-6-8 kind of formation depending on the opponent. In that regard, there is no doubt Rice would improve us as part of that jigsaw. He is not some kind of one stop shop fix. The only questions are - does his price limit us from improving the rest of the team...is there someone more suitable?

the answer to the first question is a definite yes. He will cost too much and we need a striker. He is not going to revolutionise our midfield and so that kind of expenditure is out imo.

the answer to the second question is quite simply no though. He is proven and it’s hard to see him not slotting in and doing what he does immediately. I’m not sure I could take another€40 million signing that needs 18 months to settle in. We can’t afford to wait.

it’s a conundrum. plus, he really would be coming for money if he chose use over Chelsea so that’s never a good way to start a relationship.
It's plain to see that whoever the manger comes in this summer that we need 4/5 Top Players at least. This is going to cost the club big money and I for one, don't think it will be done in one transfer window.
We might spend a million pound on 1 player and hope this will please most fans. The wool will be pulled over our eyes yet again

mavradal

Rice is definitely worth 80-100m considering how young he still is, the fact that he is Hammers captain and pretty much a lock for national team starting lineup for years to come. We would be darn fools if the board doesn't do everything it possible can to sign this man in the summer even with lower chances due to him being a Chelsea youth product.

Last edited:

AneRu

I am conflicted on Rice particularly because of this because if Pogba leaves we have to sign an 8 but I also think that a braver manager would make a more deliberate effort to bed Hannibal in the role, at least against relegation fodder. If we bring Pochettino in I don't think he will have the bravery needed to make such a decision but I know Ralf or Ten Hag will. We have about three players (Hannibal, Garner and Galbraith) that could fulfill a squad role and hopefully grow from there but like I said it now depends on the manager - a conservative one like Ole or Poch wouldn't do that in my opinion because their decisions will be informed more by self preservation than the club's long term interests. I can easily see Scot McTominay and Hannibal/Garner alternating for the role to play alongside Rice in a two or having Rice - Garner and Bruno in a 4-3-3.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I am conflicted on Rice particularly because of this because if Pogba leaves we have to sign an 8 but I also think that a braver manager would make a more deliberate effort to bed Hannibal in the role, at least against relegation fodder. If we bring Pochettino in I don't think he will have the bravery needed to make such a decision but I know Ralf or Ten Hag will. We have about three players (Hannibal, Garner and Galbraith) that could fulfill a squad role and hopefully grow from there but like I said it now depends on the manager - a conservative one like Ole or Poch wouldn't do that in my opinion because their decisions will be informed more by self preservation than the club's long term interests. I can easily see Scot McTominay and Hannibal/Garner alternating for the role to play alongside Rice in a two or having Rice - Garner and Bruno in a 4-3-3.
That's interesting and I never thought about it.

I don't watch much reserve football - it sounds like we could have potential deeper playmakers in our reserves -

Do we have any anchormen/shield type in our reserves midfield aswell?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Firstly, Newcastle are owned by a state, £25m for them is equivalent to £1m to another club. They have just been taken over and will spend money willy nilly as we saw with City when they got taken over.

Secondly, looking at Rice and McTominay, the stats are similar considering we the way people talk about McTominay, he is a relegation level midfielder.

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe...1-2022&player_id2=d93c2511&p2yrfrom=2021-2022

Let me just put some stats

MCtRice
Pass attempts per 904755
Pass accuracy %8985
Progressive passes per 904.23.7
Passes under pressure8.148.7
Tackles2.42.2
Pressures15.913.7
Interceptions1.483.05

Rice carries the ball better than McTominay but those stats are not someone £100m better than what we have even with 100% inflation.

Leadership, so you can see he is a leader but will ignore what Ole, Ralf have said about McTominay being a leader?
I would go for Rice at around 60m. My concern is I think we need more than one new midfielder so its either one massive signing and a punt on someone or two better deals
Exactly!!!

We have zero defensive midfielders right now. How can we imagine that one person can play in all competitions, entire season, even if somehow they never get injured? Nobody can. And we have no backup.

Not to mention that Shaw/AWB vs Dalot/Telles situation clearly reminded us just how important it is to have competition for various roles. There should be no irreplaceable players!

I am certain, even Bruno should have rested some game, giving DvB chances. Would have made both better. And most players are nowhere near Bruno

NewGlory

Do we have to sign #8? Pogba has been injured half the season and we didn't even use DvB, who is a very good #8. Both McT and Fred are natural #8s. You may like or hate them but they are being started so why would we bring another #8 to bench like we benched Donny

gajender

Do we have to sign #8? Pogba has been injured half the season and we didn't even use DvB, who is a very good #8. Both McT and Fred are natural #8s. You may like or hate them but they are being started so why would we bring another #8 to bench like we benched Donny
We won't be bringing another no 8 to sit on bench but to displace Mctominay and Fred who frankly speaking are just plain average .

Smores

If we get Rice we'll definitely need a new 8 who can control the game with his passing. Personally i think Neves would work even if some think him an underwhelming signing. Rice/Bruno/Neves has a lot of the right skill set covered. Fred, McTominay and Hannibal as backups.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He won't be choosing us over Chelsea. If they seriously want him, he's going there. No ifs, buts or maybes. If Chelsea want him but refuse to pay the fee I'd expect he'd happily stay at West Ham for another year (maybe even two) to then get his dream move.

But Chelsea may not seriously want him. In which case he won't stay at West Ham for the rest of his career, and will be looking to move to one of the other top teams in the not too distant future.

If we did end up signing him my one worry would be that if he really did succeed and stepped up to the very top level, in three or four years Chelsea may now want him and Rice himself still wants that move. That would be an awkward situation to be in for us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I like Rice as a player. But I don't want United to sign him for the amounts being touted.

He's another Pogba or Di Maria style galactico transfer in the making. Very different players and personalities, obviously. But, regardless, the club needs to move away for spunking its entire budget on one mega target.

The best performing teams buy lots of 2nd tier players (with potential to become 1st tier) who then compete with each other on the training ground. The best one wins out and the rest get sold on.

United need to strengthen the squad in the same way that City do. We laugh at their policy of hoarding so many fullbacks. But it works. Other than Grealish, they've rarely spent big on one man.

Every transfer is a gamble. And putting all our eggs into one basket is a recipe for disaster in the long term. It's compounded by the fact the board don't like to sell players even when they fail. We need to move away from that model. I hope Arnold has learned from the mistakes of Woodward in that regard.
But Rice would be exactly the sort of signing you are asking for, as a player. You seem to just have a problem with him because he will cost a lot, which has nothing to do with whether or not he would be successful. He’s a West Ham player who has never even player in the CL, and nothing like signing world stars like Pogba and Di Maria from Juventus and Real Madrid! If he were to cost less, he’d be a text book ‘2nd tier player looking to become 1st’.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Not sure if this video was already posted here

I think Declan is a good holding midfielder, but really don't want to see him at United, not at the price they are asking. We need to stop paying double price for decent players just because "premier league experience" bullshit. It's waste of money, guarantees nothing and creates expectations that only harms players. He also immediately admitted he is a Chelsea fan, so we may not be his first choice, anyway.

That said, I liked the interview. Declan sounds like a very smart, cool, and chill guy. Great personality to be one of the leaders of a healthy squad. Respect.
Yeah, he seems pretty switched on and sensible. However, whenever I have seen him interviewed he always seem to mention London and/or Chelsea so I really don't see him moving out of London. Maybe he'll go elsewhere in London, if Chelsea don't want him, but I cannot see him moving up North.

NewGlory

We won't be bringing another no 8 to sit on bench but to displace Mctominay and Fred who frankly speaking are just plain average .
Except we already did that. DvB should have been a much better #8 than McT and Fred but McFred kept getting all the chances, where DvB was never given any serious chance. And it's not like we got him for cheap or he didn't have more experience in Champions League than McT. So clearly, our managers think much more highly about McT and Fred than we do...

NewGlory

Yeah, he seems pretty switched on and sensible. However, whenever I have seen him interviewed he always seem to mention London and/or Chelsea so I really don't see him moving out of London. Maybe he'll go elsewhere in London, if Chelsea don't want him, but I cannot see him moving up North.
Yeah makes sense. Seems pretty attached to family, neighbourhood, and grew up Chelsea fan.

Very good, I'd rather Chelsea pay 100M for him than us :)

Hammondo

That's all fair, but if we don't then we need a player who can run the game from deep like a Carrick, because none of our 8s can.

gajender

Except we already did that. DvB should have been a much better #8 than McT and Fred but McFred kept getting all the chances, where DvB was never given any serious chance. And it's not like we got him for cheap or he didn't have more experience in Champions League than McT. So clearly, our managers think much more highly about McT and Fred than we do...
You are hardly making any sense how does DVB being useless prove McFred are good enough or highly rated by our managers .

croadyman

He won't be choosing us over Chelsea. If they seriously want him, he's going there. No ifs, buts or maybes. If Chelsea want him but refuse to pay the fee I'd expect he'd happily stay at West Ham for another year (maybe even two) to then get his dream move.

But Chelsea may not seriously want him. In which case he won't stay at West Ham for the rest of his career, and will be looking to move to one of the other top teams in the not too distant future.

If we did end up signing him my one worry would be that if he really did succeed and stepped up to the very top level, in three or four years Chelsea may now want him and Rice himself still wants that move. That would be an awkward situation to be in for us.
Yeah we are a backup to Chelsea for him which I know many of our fanbase won't want to hear

NewGlory

You are hardly making any sense how does DVB being useless prove McFred are good enough or highly rated by our managers .
That's the point. DvB is not useless. He is a very good #8 based on what he has done before us and even in games he played for us. And yet Fred was still chosen in front of him.

NewGlory

That's all fair, but if we don't then we need a player who can run the game from deep like a Carrick, because none of our 8s can.
YES! Ideally a very good #6. And that is one of the big problems with McT, not only he is poor defensively but he is a champion of hiding from the ball when CBs need to make a pass to a #6 to move the ball forward.

OrcaFat

Yeah we are a backup to Chelsea for him which I know many of our fanbase won't want to hear
What a depressing notion. In the old days, even before SAF, you wouldn’t have players turning their nose up at signing for us.

If he’d rather not come, fine. Looking for a player with similar qualities seems less of a waste of time in that case.

A player like him, a man like him, is what we need but I’m more than happy if it’s not actually him.

But who?!? God help us.

Bondi77

I have just watched the Overlap with Gary Neville........Rice isn’t coming to Manchester and he will be staying in London.

Dante

Average bang
But Rice would be exactly the sort of signing you are asking for, as a player. You seem to just have a problem with him because he will cost a lot, which has nothing to do with whether or not he would be successful. He’s a West Ham player who has never even player in the CL, and nothing like signing world stars like Pogba and Di Maria from Juventus and Real Madrid! If he were to cost less, he’d be a text book ‘2nd tier player looking to become 1st’.
It's not the player himself. It's the transfer policy that leads to buying him.

I'd be opposed to any player X from any club Y who would cost the entireity of our transfer budget.

OrcaFat

I'd be opposed to any player X from any club Y who would cost the entireity of our transfer budget.
I’m opposed to frittering our transfer budget on unproven prospects, old men and fringe players.

I agree we don’t have to buy Rice and probably won’t be able to. However the principle of spending the whole budget on one player is okay with me, as long as the player is good enough (i.e. would get into any team in the country).

Litch

Like him but we have so much business to do this summer that can’t spend the budget on one player. We are going to lose a lot of players for little to no money….

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

None of the ‘galactico’ examples you gave cost the entirety of our budget when we bought them. Neither will Declan Rice. We have broken records multiple times yet never signed just the one player at the time. This just sounds like normal caf negativity for the sake of negativity. Let’s just focus on the player. If we want/need this player - then let’s stop finding ways to spin going out and getting him into something negative.

croadyman

Like him but we have so much business to do this summer that can’t spend the budget on one player. We are going to lose a lot of players for little to no money….
Yeah could get a Haidara/Bissouma & Kamara for between £50-£60m then still got money for RB and ST too but we don't think sensibly

dinostar77

All depends on who the next permanent manager is. If it was Ten Hag he may want fankie de jong (as an example), RR may wany haidara and Poch may want Rice. We need to nail our permanent manager asap so we can start to work on deals for the summer. Not wait until last 2 weeks of the summer window

croadyman

All depends on who the next permanent manager is. If it was Ten Hag he may want fankie de jong (as an example), RR may wany haidara and Poch may want Rice. We need to nail our permanent manager asap so we can start to work on deals for the summer. Not wait until last 2 weeks of the summer window
Ten Hag still my top choice

Josep Dowling

In hindsight we would have been better off renewing Herrera’s contract. Exactly the sort of midfielder we need right now. Can’t see Rice wanting to join us this season. Chelsea will get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.