Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I didn't watch him today just saw his stats. I'm aware he's good defensively but can he build up play and make those forward line breaking passes like Matic?
Yes, he absolutely can. But there’s a huge difference between United and West Ham which means to see him work you have to also take into account who he’s working with. If a pass isn’t on you can’t break the line.

There’s a reason he along with Koopmeiners were my top choices for DM.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I do think there is a lot of laziness on here in terms of researching a player yourself (not aimed at anyone here btw) but it causes most of the disagreements when people talk out their arses rather than admit they don’t know something or just like one player more than others and aren’t open to hearing another view.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I haven't watched him too much but whenever I do he seems to have good ball control and passing.

Why do people say he's limited?
I think its international football most of the time, it seems to leave a big imprint of people's heads.

I've seen this with Rice for england, milinkovic savic - even I've used Sancho's RW performances for england to tone down my hype a bit for him.

Rice's passing stats have been 87% accurate throughout the season last time I checked in the PL.(I'm not accurate myself with data though).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't see anything he brings that Fred/Mctominay don't already tbh.

He's a huffer and puffer but do we really need to spend 50/60m to get that? not for me.

I'm sure he will improve a lot considering he's only 20 but he isn't ready for us yet IMO.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yes, he absolutely can. But there’s a huge difference between United and West Ham which means to see him work you have to also take into account who he’s working with. If a pass isn’t on you can’t break the line.

I've been interested in Rice, Koopmeiners as well alongside Kalvin Phillips (a bit problematic since hes a leeds player), but @He'sRaldo toned me down on Koopmeiners because he is a fan of AZ.

Has he improved @He'sRaldo ?

And would you prefer him over rice? We were also talking about Matic's ability with his left foot which maybe important in passing abilities at angles and dropping deep to cover angles that Maguire might struggle at under a 2 man central defence and Koopmeiners has that left foot - but ultimately it's that ability to Play 3 CB with 2 CB and 1 CDM which is going to turn this team to magic and it's why I've been interested in the same players.

If west ham dont stay up that might be enough for Ole for rice unless someone like Koopmeiners is significantly cheaper.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I think its international football most of the time, it seems to leave a big imprint of people's heads.

I've seen this with Rice for england, milinkovic savic - even I've used Sancho's RW performances for england to tone down my hype a bit for him.

Rice's passing stats have been 87% accurate throughout the season last time I checked in the PL.(I'm not accurate myself with data though).
I think you’re right. People see one game and think they can judge a player.

It’s like the Camavinga PSG game. I guarantee barely anyone watched that game but people go on about it like he’s the second coming and ignore all other games he’s played since.

It’s all flavour of the month with some people rather than being open to actually gaining an informed opinion or learning from others.

You’re slightly off with his stats it’s 86%.

Sorry for the ranting but it’s just a frustrating forum at times.

He's a huffer and puffer but do we really need to spend 50/60m to get that? not for me.

I'm sure he will improve a lot considering he's only 20 but he isn't ready for us yet IMO.
How often have you watched a full game of his?

Do you believe you’ve watched enough of him to make a fair assessment of him over time?

I’d argue he’s very different to Fred and
McTominay at the moment in terms of positioning and discipline. He’s a very sensible footballer in terms of decision making which in a poorer side is difficult!

He is absolutely not a huffer and puffer which implies he’s just a hard worker. Lazy lazy comments.

I don’t know of any DM in world football who was the finished product at 20. It’s harder to be a great DM because so much of it is mental ability compare to attacking players who can occasionally shine on instinct.

Fred certainly could not do Rice’s job and McTominay needs more coaching to get there too.

Gerald G

He might not be ready for us yet but will definitely improve, as you said, he's only 20.

In terms of in comparison to Fred/McTominay, he's a FAR better defensive player and shields the defence well. His positioning is much better, his tackling is better etc. He's better in basically every defensive attribute and neither Fred or McTominay can protect the defence well.

To say he's a huffer and puffer is very weird. He's not some headless chicken, he's an intelligent footballer and knows what he's doing in the DM role at the age of 20. His leadership qualities are also obvious to see and I'm pretty sure he's already captained West Ham this season. With a midfield of Pogba and Fernandes, he could be brilliant in that DM role.

Tel074

It’s like the Camavinga PSG game. I guarantee barely anyone watched that game but people go on about it like he’s the second coming and ignore all other games he’s played since.

It’s all flavour of the month with some people rather than being open to actually gaining an informed opinion or learning from others.

Do you believe you’ve watched enough of him to make a fair assessment of him over time?

McTominay at the moment in terms of positioning and discipline. He’s a very sensible footballer in terms of decision making which in a poorer side is difficult!

He is absolutely not a huffer and puffer which implies he’s just a hard worker. Lazy lazy comments.

I don’t know of any DM in world football who was the finished product at 20. It’s harder to be a great DM because so much of it is mental ability compare to attacking players who can occasionally shine on instinct.

Fred certainly could not do Rice’s job and McTominay needs more coaching to get there too.

I'm guessing you are a season ticket holder at West ham ?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I've been interested in Rice, Koopmeiners as well alongside Kalvin Phillips (a bit problematic since hes a leeds player), but @He'sRaldo toned me down on Koopmeiners because he is a fan of AZ.

And would you prefer him over rice? We were also talking about Matic's ability with his left foot which maybe important in passing abilities at angles and dropping deep to cover angles that Maguire might struggle at under a 2 man central defence and Koopmeiners has that left foot - but ultimately it's that ability to Play 3 CB with 2 CB and 1 CDM which is going to turn this team to magic and it's why I've been interested in the same players.

If west ham dont stay up that might be enough for Ole for rice unless someone like Koopmeiners is significantly cheaper.
Also AZ fan here too! Rare to find another one so would love to discuss with @He’sRaldo

I genuinely don’t see a better available left footed DM/CM/CB which is exactly the roles Matic fills. Key word here is available.

Rice is probably the safer bet of the two because he’s got that PL experience but Koopmeiners is my preference.

I think he’s perfectly capable of adapting his game to the PL as he isn’t reliant on being physical he’s got the mental aspect. I’d fully expect him to need 3-6 months to adjust to the pace and physically prepare to be a full heir to Matic but in that time he solves a lot of depth issues and offers an incredibly good range of passing.

He’s essentially got everything on the checklist. The big question make people throw is coming from the Dutch league but that really doesn’t bother me because £20m max and I reckon they’d sell.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up in the PL/Bundesliga very soon. He’s a great leader and a great player.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He is improving. He used to pass mostly backwards and sideways. His defensive game is still as good as ever.
Why do you think he used to pass more back and sideways?

Could it be the movement in front of him limiting the line breaks?

Tel074

To be fair I've seen him play for England with much better players and he was unable to connect the play from midfield to the forwards

He'sRaldo

He's our best player right now. It's a damn shame that the season was cut short as we were competing for the title and he was a big part of that. With what Man Utd needs in terms of a Matic replacement, he's the best I can think of stylistically, but Rice has played in the PL so is more of a guarantee. I haven't watched Rice as much as Koopmeiners, and their teams have very different ways of playing so it's hard to compare them directly.

It's the pace and physicality that's a worry, not pace of legs but pace of brain. If he can quickly adapt and show quick thinking in that DM role especially positionally and in snuffing out counter attacks, then he'd be the best fit for Bruno and Pogba. With that said, it's so unfortunate AZ was unable to win the title with him this season. He's already being linked to moves away from the club so we probably won't have him for much longer.

Basically echoing what @BenitoSTARR said. Great to have another AZ fan on here!

Adam-Utd

I’ve watched him a fair few time’s and while he’s been combative he plays a very different style or role to what we would require at United.

the closest we can see him playing that way is with England and he’s had a few absolute stinkers. Like I said he has potential but he seems a very safe passer that relies more on his physique than technique. At 20 though he has time to learn this.

I would want to see him improve a lot more before we considered buying.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’ve watched him a fair few time’s and while he’s been combative he plays a very different style or role to what we would require at United.

the closest we can see him playing that way is with England and he’s had a few absolute stinkers. Like I said he has potential but he seems a very safe passer that relies more on his physique than technique. At 20 though he has time to learn this.

I would want to see him improve a lot more before we considered buying.
With respect I’d say watch him more. Then see what you think.

I don’t think you’ve got a big enough sample of him.

His role is actually very similar it’s just he’s at West Ham. He plays more like Matic than Ndidi for example.

Jezpeza

I personally dont rate him and hed cost 60 million.

Statistically rates okay but below billing and capoue this season so that doesnt mean a lot.

If we signed him it means one or two of matic, mct, fred and garner has to go, and then we spend 60m on a quite average midfielder.

would just be a pointless signing and waste of money, in my opinion

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I personally dont rate him and hed cost 60 million.

Statistically rates okay but below billing and capoue this season so that doesnt mean a lot.

If we signed him it means one or two of matic, mct, fred and garner has to go, and then we spend 60m on a quite average midfielder.

would just be a pointless signing and waste of money, in my opinion
I can’t comment on Capoue or Billing but stats dont show you the mental side of the game his positioning and decision making are consistent.

Wouldn’t be pointless as Garner could do with a season of first team football so probably a loan and unless we are grooming McTominay we won’t have a DM beyond Matic.

Jezpeza

I can’t comment on Capoue or Billing but stats dont show you the mental side of the game his positioning and decision making are consistent.

Wouldn’t be pointless as Garner could do with a season of first team football so probably a loan and unless we are grooming McTominay we won’t have a DM beyond Matic.
define dm? Im not sure fred or mct can be classed as offensive or creative midfielders.....

RC89

Just watched a YT compilation of his so I'm obviously an expert now...

Wow. What a player he looks! Literally looks perfect. Plays in a holding position, seems to break up play well, looking at his stats he gets goals too. His passing.... My word. The weight of them really remind me of Scholes. 6 foot, 22 and club captain already? If he's half as good as the clip I watched makes him look we should be all over him.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.

Wow. What a player he looks! Literally looks perfect. Plays in a holding position, seems to break up play well, looking at his stats he gets goals too. His passing.... My word. The weight of them really remind me of Scholes. 6 foot, 22 and club captain already? If he's half as good as the clip I watched makes him look we should be all over him.
Just looked at one myself. Wand of a left foot. Let's hope he's on United's scouting radar. He looks worryingly like a player the scousers would sign and be brilliant for them.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Him and Stengs would be good signings

Lentwood

I would definitely take him. Versatile, powerful, good on the ball, good in the air.

At 20, he would be a prime replacement for Matic who could gradually be eased out over the next two seasons

Kostov

If he is close to their level 20m is maximum we should offer or as you say, stay fecking clear. However I watched him last night against Chelsea, he looked very good, however I haven't seen him regularly.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Huge plus for me with Rice is how easily he could drop into a CB position, giving us really good flexibility to change formation without having to make subs.

Also, I've never really been a fan of a strict DM in the past. However, with Pogba and Bruno as midfield partners it absolutely makes sense to have a player of that ilk in midfield alongside them.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The Fred/McSauce comparisons are weird btw.

jackal&hyde

I agree with this. If on form Matic played for them he would be their best play maker by far. That is the level i want us to have at DM.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

That’s his highlights of course but he does that most games. He literally doesn’t stop passing all game averages 83 per game (which is nearly double other DMs) and 6.2 long passes per 90 (even higher in Europa league).

I’d really recommend you watch a full game of his and see for yourself.
Just looked at one myself. Wand of a left foot. Let's hope he's on United's scouting radar. He looks worryingly like a player the scousers would sign and be brilliant for them.
Yup. I’d be amazed if he isn’t picked up on the cheap this window.
Him and Stengs would be good signings
Not as keen on Stengs. Not for us anyway.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Rice's passing stats have been 87% accurate throughout the season last time I checked in the PL.(I'm not accurate myself with data though
Imo, passing completion is a poor way to judge a player's passing ability.

romufc

I cannot see how West Ham sell him for under £40m. Signing him could kill 2 birds next season. If we got him, he could be cover for Matic and get a few starts as well as cover for CB in case we need him to. This way, we do not need to sign a CB this window.

However; we do need a RW and a AM as a higher priority.

rimzy

I think he’d be a good signing for us, let’s not forgot he’s still only 21, plenty of time to perfect his passing abilities etc, we can bed him in over the course of next season as Matic providing us with no reason why we should drop him. I see signing Rice as a positive.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I really don't see the point of spending big on him to play him DM. It's a position he's only really played for a couple of years and only recently a lot better. We're just hoping his progression is linear. Not to mention with Matic playing well, I'd rather give the minutes to Mctominay/Fred/Garner and spend the money elsewhere.

I think we could offer him more minutes as a CB, which i'd be up for.

Mcking

Not sure. Thought it was to do with ability. He had little qualms switching the ball mid-range from centre to flank with the opposition deep, which showed that he could pass longer than short range. But most times he won the ball, and there's a chance for a counter, space to drive into, or a quick release, he would just ignore it and take the easy sideways option. Maybe he was struggling to shake off the 'centreback' mentality - he was basically shirking responsibility when he had the ball.
He's been great lately though, I expect him to mature into the complete DM. His defensive game is so good.

Adam-Utd

With respect I’d say watch him more. Then see what you think.

I don’t think you’ve got a big enough sample of him.

His role is actually very similar it’s just he’s at West Ham. He plays more like Matic than Ndidi for example.
Like I said i've watched him plenty and right now I don't see anything he does that Mctominay doesn't.

They're both great athletes, both like to get stuck in, both competant but fairly average passers. If we didn't already have a work horse then I'd say sure but what's the point of spending huge money to buy somebody similar? i'd rather go for a DLP style of player like Carrick (although they're rare indeed)

Maybe it's because I only watch west ham on TV or the bigger games but i just don't see anything special with him apart from his defensive side. Let's see if he makes the England team again and how he can use the ball better in that situation. When asked to do that job before he looked completely lost.

AneRu

Depends on how we want to set up our midfield. In the classic setup with DM+B2B+AM we currently have:

DM: Matic (Garner)
B2B: Pogba, Mctominay, Fred, (Levitt, Mejbri)
AM: Fernandes, Lingard, Pereira, (Gomes)

If we can play with Pogba + another B2B player, I don't think we need Rice.

If we can't, then we need a player like Rice, but we might also need to reduce our number of B2B players.

We should also look to replace Lingard and Pereira with a better player. If we go for Grealish, who can play B2B as well, there might not be a place for Fred.
I have to agree with this, from a balance and economic point of view I don't think its feasible to sign Rice and the proceed to keep both Fred and McTominay. Both are back ups and they offer something similar so it wouldn't make sense to have two DMs in the squad plus two defensive B2B midfielders but without like for like replacements for Pogba and Bruno.

This is why I think a more creative DM in the mould of Carrick is required because with that sort of player you can have a functional 4-3-3 that has Fred and Mctominay as the workhorses in front of the DM should you lose the first choice midfield 3 of Pogba, Bruno and Matic. Fred, McTominay and Rice wouldn't cut it against packed defenses so that would force us to look for another creative midfielder which becomes too costly to do in one summer.

I'm more inclined to favor a move to Koopmeiners, even though the PL is light years ahead of the Dutch league with regard to physicality and less time on the ball I think Matic's presence would allow us to break him in slowly in the first season.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
For the fee West 'am would want, I think there would be better options in other leagues around Europe.

I'd prefer Koopmeiners too. His technique and range of passing is far better than Rice's

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’ve not seen nearly enough of him to make a genuine comment about how good he is.
He was terrific last night though, wasn’t he? If he played at that level every week he’d be a decent replacement for Matic when he’s eventually taken out the side.
His passing was the thing that intrigued me most, he was winning it back and finding his man pretty much every time.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's looked much better in the games post-lockdown and has developed his game to more than just tackling/shielding/intercepting. People were saying he was limited on the ball because before lockdown he was, he wasn't playing nice forward balls or playing as positively as he is now, he had a poor passing range but he's shown differently post-lockdown. Let's see if it continues though before getting too carried away.

Status
Not open for further replies.