Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Him and Philips couldn't control a midfield against Delaney and Hojberg and some of our fans wanted to spend 70m on him to help us win PL and CL titles.

He's not a bad player but he's definitely not a great one either.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf I think the Rice/Phillips pairing is making them both look worse than they are.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s just the next Eric Dier. People will look to 1 moment of strength and say “amazing, solid” but ignore he is a total passenger. We have a go at Matic enough for playing like that, last thing we need is £70m crab.

Thank god Bellingham will be another year older to take his place next year.

Trequarista10

Tbf I think the Rice/Phillips pairing is making them both look worse than they are.
Yeah, especially in a game where the opposition sit deep. Both would look better alongside a more progressive midfielder. Even Henderson when he came on provided some additional creativity and drive. Henderson ffs.

Well Phillips and England looked absolutely miles better for the 10 mins before the Rice sub and the entire time after it. Philips and Rice swapped positions about 10-15 mins before Rice was subbed so that Phillips could get on the ball more and Rice could be fecked off out of the way.
Make of that what you will.

redshaw

Not a good game for him and I know his qualities are not about being around the box but he found himself there once tonight and it was painful to see how he couldn't even adapt himself. We have to be buying players with more technique. Like we keep coming back to, 30-40m is okay but no tempting for West Ham, 70-90m is batshit crazy and would need to go on a costlier pairing for him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Think the Italians will be happy to face him after having experienced the Spanish.

OrcaFat

If he starts the final, the Irish and Jocks will be a lot happier than they are tonight. Lad got embarrassed tonight so feck knows what Italy would do to him :nervous:

Only hope is that stubborn Southgate sees how much more Henderson offered. Even then, it’s an average midfield in comparison to Italy but still, much better.
Yeah, let’s see if the stubborn guy who took England to their first final in 55 years agrees with you. If not, it’s the sack for him, says I.

caid

Well Phillips and England looked absolutely miles better for the 10 mins before the Rice sub and the entire time after it. Philips and Rice swapped positions about 10-15 mins before Rice was subbed so that Phillips could get on the ball more and Rice could be fecked off out of the way.
Make of that what you will.
Danes looked dead on their feet at that point, not sure how much to read into it. A game defending against the Italians should in theory suit the pair of them more, maybe that'll give him a better opportunity to show something.

Replace him with a guy with the sense not to play that awful Rice.
Now you’re just babbling.

Rice was wank tonight, utterly awful. Henderson had a very good introduction again for the second games running and is a PL and CL winner with experience of massive games, he’s also a better player. I think it’d be a better choice for the final, but I know Southgate is stubborn so I think he’ll stick.

Should he fired for that? No. Replaced? No. I just have an opinion on a player.

Kin ell.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Not impressed with him again. I am yet to see one good performance from Rice to convince me we should go for him. The more I've watched, the more I feel he is just an average CB who is willing to sit back in midfield and defend.

Last edited:

JB7

Rice is a far better player than Phillips. We keep winning so difficult to complain but I worry for Rice/Phillips against Italy, think we'd need Henderson in for Phillips really.

alexthelion

Rice is a far better player than Phillips. We keep winning so difficult to complain but I worry for Rice/Phillips against Italy, think we'd need Henderson in for Phillips really.
Yep, Rice and Henderson for the final.

KennyBurner

I would definitely self harm if he ends up here. No way am I watching another schneiderlin play for us. He is such a terrible player for any progressive side looking to play the ball or even counter. He cant pass or dribble. Too slow to turn and so passes back under no pressure. Im so glad we are able to see how mediocre he is because of this tournament. I already suspected it but now Im very sure of it.

KennyBurner

Nope! Phillips is also bad but offers better passing range while also doing the same thing Rice does. There is no need for a player like rice if the team isn't setup to defend and soak pressure.

KennyBurner

glad people are finally catching on.

throwing a few tackles around doesn’t cover being absolutely woeful on the ball.

There was a period in the 23rd minute (@GifLord do your thing) where instead of turning and taking the ball forward, he just passed it straight back to Maguire.

All night he played 5 yard crab passes and completely killed any momentum.

This is the type of team and performance he will be expected to play against regularly if playing for United, and in both games against stiff opposition (scotland and denmark) he’s completely failed.
Yup I know the exact moment because there was nobody around him. So pathetic that this is what England has as its very best starting midfielder. Having to depend on its Defense to get the ball further up the pitch because the midfielders are incapable of doing so.

Have to ditch him for henderson who is also shit but has enough experience to play the ball and be more direct when needed.

KennyBurner

He's nothing like Fred. Fred to his credit never shies away from the ball and actually tries to progress the ball forward. Just his decision making lets him down occasionally.
You mean his first touch and sometimes balance on the ball. His decision making is very good. Silly of that poster to compare a CB cosplaying as a midfielder to Fred who is actually showing how good he is when surrounded by other midfielders capable of playing the ball also (casimiero).

hobbers

Will also add that I've noticed a lot of Rice's "best moments" in montages are him sliding around the place, quite AWB-esque.... but top midfielders, top defenders in general, shouldn't be going to ground, and don't need to because they're proactive not reactive.

Didn't see Busquets or Carrick going to ground much, if ever.

JB7

Nope! Phillips is also bad but offers better passing range while also doing the same thing Rice does. There is no need for a player like rice if the team isn't setup to defend and soak pressure.
There is literally nothing Phillips does better than Rice.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Rice Phillips doesnt make sense
Try Fred Rice. We know Rice is better Fred

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Rice is more solid and better defensively, but Phillips does covers far more distance than Rice, more energetic, better going forward, better at winning ariel duels and pressing opponents etc

SAFMUTD

Swear to god if he wasnt british there's no way he'd be as highly rated. He's around Fred's level, no where near the 70M mark.

lex talionis

The mask has been lifted on Rice. Quite a thing of beauty to watch the hype machine otherwise known as the British media.

OrcaFat

Now you’re just babbling.

Rice was wank tonight, utterly awful. Henderson had a very good introduction again for the second games running and is a PL and CL winner with experience of massive games, he’s also a better player. I think it’d be a better choice for the final, but I know Southgate is stubborn so I think he’ll stick.

Should he fired for that? No. Replaced? No. I just have an opinion on a player.

Kin ell.
I know, it’s cool.

OrcaFat

I could see Southgate playing Phillips Henderson if England plays 3 CBs. But Phillips would still be asked to play deep. Henderson is quite expansive and brings a bit of life to the midfield but I wouldn’t rely on him in 4231.

lysglimt

Scout
Will also add that I've noticed a lot of Rice's "best moments" in montages are him sliding around the place, quite AWB-esque.... but top midfielders, top defenders in general, shouldn't be going to ground, and don't need to because they're proactive not reactive.

Didn't see Busquets or Carrick going to ground much, if ever.
That's as far away from the truth as possible - some players go to ground often because that's the kind of footballers they are. Steven Gerrard, Paul Ince, Edgar Davids.....that doesn't make them worse footballers.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's almost like you've forgotten how poor Rice is on the ball. Philips has played some lovely passes this tournament. Rice looks like he's juggling a hot potato.

Lelouch geass

As I posted before, Rice is just another Jack Rodwell or Dier. Lack real substance over prolonged period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.