Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Chelsea is his long held preference, according to people who know both the player and family.

The gentleman's agreement WHU have with the player was reached when Chelsea were assumed to be a CL team.

Chelsea's implosion has thrown a spanner in the works.

WHU are in advanced talks for the same player Dortmund are trying to sign to replace Bellingham.
And that is?

IRELANDUNITED

To challenge for the title?
Why go to Arsenal then? They had their once a decade title “challenge” this season and they still fell well short. They’ll be more likely to be challenging for top 4 than the title next season. Last year was about as good as Arsenal will be and it still wasn’t good enough. United are in a much better position to succeed over the next few years.

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
He wants to win, not 'challenge'.

Arsenal haven't won a league title in 20 years and last won a European trophy about 30 years ago, and have never won a European Cup/CL.

Arsenal finished 5th-8th six years out of the last seven.

Who really believes they'll repeat the pre-World Cup run? As soon as the season turned to normal, so did Arsenal.
Did we choke massively because we led the league for 243 days or whatever silly stat it was, or did we revert to being average as soon as the World Cup was over? It can't be both.

Our points average over the past two seasons is 77 (rounded up) and that'd be a good baseline expectation for coming seasons, with a good season being a repeat of last (84) and a poor season being seven points in the other direction (70) is roughly what I'd say.

I'd say that's plenty enough of a 'challenge' and step up for a player like Declan Rice. Man City are a clear level above everyone else at present but out of the chasing pack we're as good a bet as any looking at the stats of our current trajectory.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why go to Arsenal then? They had their once a decade title “challenge” this season and they still fell well short. They’ll be more likely to be challenging for top 4 than the title next season. Last year was about as good as Arsenal will be and it still wasn’t good enough. United are in a much better position to succeed over the next few years.
That’s fine but they did challenge this past season and footballers have aspirations to improve the teams they move to. What should he do - retire if he can’t move to City?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's a decade since we had a title challenge so what makes United a better bet than Arsenal?

Arsenal have a good young core of players and seem to be intent on improving their squad, to suggest they aren't likely to be challenging is utter nonsense

BerryBerryShrew

Imagine spending £90m+ on Rice and then watching as Madrid snap up Kane for less. Would be brutal to be honest.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Out of Urgate, Rice, and Caicedo, I wonder which one is better. They are all combative midfielder, with various skillset. Rice seems to be the most expensive of the lot, but that may have to do with British tax. However, I have watched rice as well and I believe he is the better player. As such, I do not believe that price tag of £92m is that bad. I am quite confident that United is not interested in him because we have casemiro and want mount (unless our interest in mount is no longer there). So that only leave Arsenal, Chelsea and perhaps Bayern as possible destination. I feel that whoever between Arsenal or Chelsea gets Caicedo, the opposite will get Rice.

Abraxas

Imagine spending £90m+ on Rice and then watching as Madrid snap up Kane for less. Would be brutal to be honest.
Is it that brutal?

The nature of those deals is completely different. Yeah Kane's a better footballer in his position but Rice will have 8, 9, 10 years to potentially offer a club.

With Kane the length of time he's going to be at this level is very hard to predict with any certainty. Probably 3-4 at the top level, but it could be 2-3 then a noticeable drop off. Who knows. Point is he won't be the same type of investment.

saivet

I do like him as a player but £92m is an insane fee. That said, while I'd prefer Caicedo, £80m plus for him also seems a bit bonkers.

I think around £65m max for either of the two is probably fair, but this isn't a 'fair' market.

The market is a bit crazy and think he'd be a good signing for Arsenal so can't knock the fee too much.

Coxy

Is it that brutal?

The nature of those deals is completely different. Yeah Kane's a better footballer in his position but Rice will have 8, 9, 10 years to potentially offer a club.

With Kane the length of time he's going to be at this level is very hard to predict with any certainty. Probably 3-4 at the top level, but it could be 2-3 then a noticeable drop off. Who knows. Point is he won't be the same type of investment.
Also kanes wages will be far higher than Rice

glasgow 21

I’d offer £60 million plus McTominay which could be seen as a £90+ million deal and would give West Ham a midfield replacement as well as money to invest in other areas, I could see Moyes being ok with that.
When was the last time a player plus money was excepted in the transfer market ?

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
When was the last time a player plus money was excepted in the transfer market ?
There was the weird pjanic for Arthur one between Juve and Barca. Also Danilo and cancelo. Those were part of Juve cooking the books though

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think he's better than Mount, but not 92 million better
That only really works if your getting Mount for nothing, no? Will be more like is he 40 million better? Plus Mount is in his last year, Rice technically is not.

croadyman

I do like him as a player but £92m is an insane fee. That said, while I'd prefer Caicedo, £80m plus for him also seems a bit bonkers.

I think around £65m max for either of the two is probably fair, but this isn't a 'fair' market.

The market is a bit crazy and think he'd be a good signing for Arsenal so can't knock the fee too much.
Yeah you aren't getting either for £65m

MonsieurGooner

Supports
Arsenal
Based on what reality? In what world should Arsenal fans be resigned to United finishing above us?

The only team in this league we recognize as better than us, is Man City. But Chelsea, United, Liverpool - we reject outright the notion you are better positioned us to compete with Man City.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
You don't think that was more to do with the fact they didn't want to sell him mid season
Maybe but financially they have no need to sell, he's under contract so I don't see him going unless it's silly money

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Too expensive but he is my preferred midfield buy because I want to see what he can become under a good coach.

MonsieurGooner

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal are the only club below even odds to land Rice with the bookmakers. Not even that, we are well under even odds. The smart money is Rice to Arsenal, betting on anyone else would be taking a distant punt.

It comes down to this. He is our number one target, he wants to remain in London, he wants CL football, and he has been sold the idea of Arsenal. If he joins Arsenal would have a core of Rice 24, Odegaard 24, Saka, 21, Martinelli, 21, Saliba 21. These are 5 serious quality players you can build around. Good players move the needle, and Rice knows he can help take Arsenal up a level. I laugh at the notion we peaked last year. We will be better this year than we were last season especially if Rice joins.

He is such a perfect fit for us and he knows it.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Based on what reality? In what world should Arsenal fans be resigned to United finishing above us?

The only team in this league we recognize as better than us, is Man City. But Chelsea, United, Liverpool - we reject outright the notion you are better positioned us to compete with Man City.
You may be correct, but don't forget you didn't play as many games and twice a week etc this season which helped you to get your high league position, while us and others had two games a week non stop and loads of injuries.

Lets see how you deal with the extra games, tiredness, injuries and niggles that come with that and the extra pressure on you to repeat this seasons position of second in the league. And remember that most teams will be improving and recruiting better players too, not just Arsenal.

MonsieurGooner

Supports
Arsenal
You may be correct, but don't forget you didn't play as many games and twice a week etc this season which helped you to get your high league position, while us and others had two games a week non stop and loads of injuries.

Lets see how you deal with the extra games, tiredness, injuries and niggles that come with that and the extra pressure on you to repeat this seasons position of second in the league. And remember that most teams will be improving and recruiting better players too, not just Arsenal.
You think extra rest is why we scored 88 leagues goals and you scored 58?

People have this weird idea that we cant back up midweek games, but other clubs can. Why would your players be able to handle a midweek game better than ours?

Saka cant back up a midweek game, but Antony can? Odegaard cant play two games in a week, but Bruno can? What makes you think this?

redcucumber

People have this weird idea that we cant back up midweek games, but other clubs can. Why would your players be able to handle a midweek game better than ours?

Saka cant back up a midweek game, but Antony can? Odegaard cant play two games in a week, but Bruno can? What makes you think this?
That comes down to management more than anything. Knowing when to rest and rotate players so the whole squad has got enough left/is ready to go at the business end of the season.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion

But our team and players didn't handle the non stop two games a week though, they were visibly tired and below par in loads of games and the injuries we had. And it will be the same for you now too unless you exit things early again.

As you say that only City are a better team than you, you need to now prove that you are a consistent top two level team as you say you are and go deep in all other competitions.

Shouldn't be that hard should it?

Status
Not open for further replies.