Dele Alli is England's best young midfielder playing in Turkey

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I think more and more that he'd be the player to buy if we are spending £60m+ on an attacking player this season.

If we had a choice of him or Griezmann playing in the attacking midfield role I think he'd be better suited. Plus being English, younger, PL experienced...
There is no reason why Pogba can't play the role Ali plays for Spurs. Let's give Pog another season at least, I have full faith that he will end up being better than Ali.

edcunited1878

He's not playing a midfield position, he's a secondary striker in the mould of Rooney or Gerrard. His instincts in the box are so good for his age. And his finishing is top drawer. As a couple posters have mentioned already, Dembele, Waynama and Erikson (who is a gem that gets lost in the side, lovely player) are the midfielders in the Spurs side that makes them tick. He played wide left last year and has improved his attacking influence higher up the pitch and more central to goal. Credit not only goes to the lad, but Pochettino as well.

finneh

There is no reason why Pogba can't play the role Ali plays for Spurs. Let's give Pog another season at least, I have full faith that he will end up being better than Ali.
Mourinho doesn't want Pogba to play that role. He wants Pogba to be an all round box to box midfielder; not a goalscoring number 10.

Mourinhos perfect team has three players - One is in the Makelele mould, one is in the Pogba mould and one is in the Alli mould.

An athletic destroyer, a technically gifted, creative and strong box to box player and a hard working goalscorer. Pogba is the second player, Alli is the latter player.

crappycraperson

Scout
Mourinho doesn't want Pogba to play that role. He wants Pogba to be an all round box to box midfielder; not a goalscoring number 10.

Mourinhos perfect team has three players - One is in the Makelele mould, one is in the Pogba mould and one is in the Alli mould.

An athletic destroyer, a technically gifted, creative and strong box to box player and a hard working goalscorer. Pogba is the second player, Alli is the latter player.
There is no reason why Jose can't play Pogba in the Lampard or Sneijder role.

finneh

There is no reason why Jose can't play Pogba in the Lampard or Sneijder role.
There is a very logical reason. Pogba has the potential to be the world's best box to box midfielder if he sorts out his decision making. A potential that we paid £89m for.

As an attacking midfielder he has the potential to be a good Premier League player who never fulfilled said potential. He hasn't got the finishing ability or the positional intelligence to be Dele Alli in that role.

edcunited1878

There is a very logical reason. Pogba has the potential to be the world's best box to box midfielder if he sorts out his decision making. A potential that we paid £89m for.

As an attacking midfielder he has the potential to be a good Premier League player who never fulfilled said potential. He hasn't got the finishing ability or the positional intelligence to be Dele Alli in that role.
Agreed. He'll be more of a force in this squad, in this league for this manager as a b2b. Win the ball near his own box, touch, and stretch the defense with a fifty yard ball. Then next sequence support from midfield with a dink or shot.

crappycraperson

Scout

Both Lampard and Sneijder were a mix between no.10 and a B2B. They both put in shift defensively and allowed Jose to play 4-3-3. It is the same reason why he preferred Oscar ahead of Mata at Chelsea since in his opinion former could play similar role while latter could not.

Loublaze

ATLien
I can understand why Spurs fans call him better than Pogba tbf.
How many has he scored this season? To be honest if Pogba was playing for an opposition PL team we'd be rating him higher than we do. 7 goals and 4 assists from midfield

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How many has he scored this season? To be honest if Pogba was playing for an opposition PL team we'd be rating him higher than we do. 7 goals and 4 assists from midfield
Alli is on 16 goals and 5 assists in the PL.
Add to that the FA Cup and CL and Alli is on 19 goals and 6 assists.

Loublaze

ATLien
Alli is on 16 goals and 5 assists in the PL.
Add to that the FA Cup and CL and Alli is on 19 goals and 6 assists.
That's crazy good. We can't make a direct comparison to Pogba though since Alli plays with more freedom. Spurs are just better than we are all round in all honesty

finneh

Both Lampard and Sneijder were a mix between no.10 and a B2B. They both put in shift defensively and allowed Jose to play 4-3-3. It is the same reason why he preferred Oscar ahead of Mata at Chelsea since in his opinion former could play similar role while latter could not.
My point is that Mourinho doesn't see Pogba as a Lampard or a Sneijder. Lampard was more like Alli; he was ruthlessly intelligent, had a sixth sense for being in the right place at the right time and was a great finisher. Sneijder was less powerful and more of an assister in the final third, but again filled the most offensive of the three roles.

Pogba is a different player. His biggest weakness is his intelligence and his ability to get into good positions. If our full backs have the ball, Lampard and Alli would be on the 6 yard line waiting for a tap-in or on the edge of the "D" waiting for an 18 yard shot into the corner. Both of these player's would have scored 15 goals in the PL so far this season.

There's a reason Pogba has scored 4 times in the PL this year and it isn't because we haven't created as many chances as our rivals (in fact in terms of total shots and "big" chances we're in the top 2-3). It's because he isn't a goalscorer and he hasn't got the positional or intellectual awareness to fulfil that role.

Pogba's skillset involves great technique, great strength, an ability to turn in tight areas, great ranged passing, close control and an ability to run effectively with the ball. These are skills that are tailor-made for a true box to box midfielder.

The links to Griezmann highlight to me that Mourinho sees things the same as I do. We'll play Pogba alongside either Herrera or a new midfielder, behind someone like Griezmann next season.

Pogba could be Essien on steroids; he'd be Lampard on laxatives.

Boycott

Thing with Delle is, he doesn't even look like he's maximising his talent at the moment. At times you feel like he's playing within himself.

The way to truly judge how good he is if he was playing for a proper big club with pressure to perform and where he is at a club where title wins are imperative and he is expected to win CLs. Playing for Spurs is easy.
With respect this is elitist clap-trap. Top level football is not the "closed window invitations only" table it once was.

ti vu

My point is that Mourinho doesn't see Pogba as a Lampard or a Sneijder. Lampard was more like Alli; he was ruthlessly intelligent, had a sixth sense for being in the right place at the right time and was a great finisher. Sneijder was less powerful and more of an assister in the final third, but again filled the most offensive of the three roles.

Pogba is a different player. His biggest weakness is his intelligence and his ability to get into good positions. If our full backs have the ball, Lampard and Alli would be on the 6 yard line waiting for a tap-in or on the edge of the "D" waiting for an 18 yard shot into the corner. Both of these player's would have scored 15 goals in the PL so far this season.

There's a reason Pogba has scored 4 times in the PL this year and it isn't because we haven't created as many chances as our rivals (in fact in terms of total shots and "big" chances we're in the top 2-3). It's because he isn't a goalscorer and he hasn't got the positional or intellectual awareness to fulfil that role.

Pogba's skillset involves great technique, great strength, an ability to turn in tight areas, great ranged passing, close control and an ability to run effectively with the ball. These are skills that are tailor-made for a true box to box midfielder.

The links to Griezmann highlight to me that Mourinho sees things the same as I do. We'll play Pogba alongside either Herrera or a new midfielder, behind someone like Griezmann next season.

Pogba could be Essien on steroids; he'd be Lampard on laxatives.
Mostly agree apart from Pogba lack intelligence. That's not true. Goal scoring is more about instinct. Zlatan is never as sharp as RVN or as good movement in the box. Zlatan is always wasteful, and kinda lazy moving inside the box. With experience & modification to his game (Capello made him do extra training with shooting & instructed him to shoot more in games) at his peak he is considered one of the best of his generation, but RVN still is more ruthless in front of goal. Zlatan's quite intelligent on & off pitch.

So Alli has this goal scoring instinct for second forward, while Pogba may improve, but there would always be more to be desired. Pogba has much more in his locker as midfielder so it's better to utilize him there

Last edited:

Jaybomb

Not based on this season he isn't. Alli has been class, head and shoulders above Pogba.
Put Alli in United and he wouldn't have those stats.

I judge players based on talent, not form. By your logic, Lallana and Henderson are also better than Pogba. They (probably) have better statistics too. Sorry but I just can't fathom that idea.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Put Alli in United and he wouldn't have those stats.

I judge players based on talent, not form. By your logic, Lallana and Henderson are also better than Pogba. They (probably) have better statistics too. Sorry but I just can't fathom that idea.
We've seen very little of Pogba's talent though and for me the jury is still very much out.

Talking about one players form vs another suggests a short period of time. Alli has been brilliant for the past 2 seasons.

ti vu

Not based on this season he isn't. Alli has been class, head and shoulders above Pogba.
It's like saying Griezmann was head & shoulder better than Iniesta in 14/15. Iniesta IIRC only registered 1 assist in La Liga all season & 3 goals in all competitions! Different role, different function to their teams.

Sometimes I don't believe people actually watch games...

Edit: Update on Iniesta stats that season: 5 assists in CL, but all 3 goals were in Copa Del Rey. 0 goals in La Liga or CL! Can't find assist stat in Copa Del Rey.

Last edited:

finneh

Mostly agree apart from Pogba lack intelligence. That's not true. Goal scoring is more about instinct. Zlatan is never as sharp as RVN or as good movement in the box. Zlatan is always wasteful, and kinda lazy moving inside the box. With experience & modification to his game (Capello made him do extra training with shooting & instructed him to shoot more in games) at his peak he is considered one of the best of his generation, but RVN still is more ruthless in front of goal. Zlatan's quite intelligent on & off pitch.

So Alli has this goal scoring instinct for second forward, while Pogba may improve, but there would always be more to be desired. Pogba has much more in his locker as midfielder so it's better to utilize him there
Pogba's lack of intelligence is what is currently holding him back in the role most suited to him. Dribbling when he should pass; trying to run with the ball when he should make a cleaenace; trying a fancy flick when a weighted pass would be more impressive.

His raw attributes are phenominal. Seeing people praise Rooney's long range passing from 2012 - 2016 (after Scholes) made me think I was going insane, then I saw Pogba and remembered again what great ranged passing looked like. His ability to hold off players, dribble and hold onto the ball in tight areas likewise is great.

I've said it a few times - going to Juventus and having all the freedom in the world with little responsiblity has put his game back a couple of years. It's sharpened his strengths (which in my view would have been improved Marley by playing at a high level), but neglected the key part of his game that needed to improve to be deemed world class - his decision making.

Jaybomb

We've seen very little of Pogba's talent though and for me the jury is still very much out.

Talking about one players form vs another suggests a short period of time. Alli has been brilliant for the past 2 seasons.
Pogba at Juve and France was head and shoulders above Alli.

There's a reason Pogba was in the 2015 TOTY. Alli wouldn't get in there. He's a good wee player but never a world class one like Pogba is.

ti vu

Pogba's lack of intelligence is what is currently holding him back in the role most suited to him. Dribbling when he should pass; trying to run with the ball when he should make a cleaenace; trying a fancy flick when a weighted pass would be more impressive.

His raw attributes are phenominal. Seeing people praise Rooney's long range passing from 2012 - 2016 (after Scholes) made me think I was going insane, then I saw Pogba and remembered again what great ranged passing looked like. His ability to hold off players, dribble and hold onto the ball in tight areas likewise is great.

I've said it a few times - going to Juventus and having all the freedom in the world with little responsiblity has put his game back a couple of years. It's sharpened his strengths (which in my view would have been improved Marley by playing at a high level), but neglected the key part of his game that needed to improve to be deemed world class - his decision making.
You concluded it as decision making, then I agree. I don't think it has to do much with intelligence, but inexperience. Pogba has undergone a big transition in responsibility & role with us & France recently in 2 man midfield and that's playing along side 2 unnatural holding midfielder partner. So he has to learn in the job by himself directly from coaches' instruction with no senior holding midfielders to share some experience/ guidance. It's very different from the system Juventus used or the roles of midfielders in that system. Pogba has some Pirlo esque kind of play in him as you pointed out the difference between Rooney's Holywood pass vs Pogba's ones.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Some frankly hilarious posts here lads. Oh and let's keep the focus on Alli and not Pogba (amazingly all this was not started by a Spurs fan also)

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Some frankly hilarious posts here lads. Oh and let's keep the focus on Alli and not Pogba (amazingly all this was not started by a Spurs fan also)
Probably worth remembering that this is a United forum. People will always compare United players in threads about players from other teams

ti vu

Someone went off the mark & couldn't distinguish roles thus starting the discussion with Pogba to play Alli's role. Just put thing into perspective: different roles, different attributes.

As pointed out, England NT used Alli wrongly but overcrowded the forwards area. He can benefit more from more midfielders & play maker than being assigned to do it.