g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Dele Alli - Performance Thread 2017/18

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What exactly are you basing this on? Dele played the majority of the first game injured and hasn't featured since. Also Dele is 22 and Lingard is 25, Dele had more league goals and more assists in the season past. I rate Lingard but I find the comparison to Dele a bit odd as 3 years is a long time development wise.
Aye and also it’s pointless comparing the stats of a second striker with an attacking midfielder.

Renegade

His best football comes as a support forward. Not so much a 10 in the creative sense. Defiantly not a 8. His football from deeper area’s is poor. His been poor this tournament. Shelvey would have been much better in that position his playing. He would have been 100% sent off last night though with the Colombian antics.

Djemba-Djemba

His entire England career so far consists of him standing on the edge of the opposition box and trying backheels or little flicks that don't come off.

I don't know what else he does.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Had a very bad game, but was on the same level as Sterling and Lingard for me.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He hasn't has a good game since the WC started, tbh.
He's had some passages of good play, which is more than I can say for Sterling. But overall not enough imo to make him a guaranteed starter, although RLC hasnt done a lot when given the chance either.

The Purley King

Maybe he isn't fully fit, but he was very poor last night. Kept giving it away and created nothing.
RLC would offer much more in that role.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's a potentially great SS. He doesn't have the talent to play any position deeper than that at a high level.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
He's a potentially great SS. He doesn't have the talent to play any position deeper than that at a high level.
I think he does, but he is still young and inexperienced in that position. I think he will play deeper eventually, and with experience be very good. Also, he isn't a SS for Spurs, he usually plays somewhere in the front three with freedom to roam, some people on here make it sound as if he plays further forward than other attacking players and only contribute by running into the box.

luke511

It was like playing with 10 men when we were defending, he couldn't get close to any Colombian player, really incapable of playing that position in that system.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
It was like playing with 10 men when we were defending, he couldn't get close to any Colombian player, really incapable of playing that position in that system.
I thought the England press was great the first 90 minutes, if anything it looked like you played with 12 men at times, it was creating clear chances that was the issue imo.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think he does, but he is still young and inexperienced in that position. I think he will play deeper eventually, and with experience be very good. Also, he isn't a SS for Spurs, he usually plays somewhere in the front three with freedom to roam, some people on here make it sound as if he plays further forward than other attacking players and only contribute by running into the box.
His best form for Spurs has come with him playing close to Kane. I think his movement and decision making around the box is very good.
He's not a creative passer, nor does he seem like to hold a position. He probably can do a job at CM but you wouldn't see the best of him.

luke511

I thought the England press was great the first 90 minutes, if anything it looked like you played with 12 men at times, it was creating clear chances that was the issue imo.
Testament to the rest of the team defending then, if you re-watch the game you'll see how ineffective he was.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
He's had some passages of good play, which is more than I can say for Sterling. But overall not enough imo to make him a guaranteed starter, although RLC hasnt done a lot when given the chance either.
I only remember his first 45 minutes against Tunisia as a good display. He shouldn't be first choice.

Rafaeldagold

He’s either injured or horribly out of form so I hope Gareth has the balls to drop him next match, for England to progress far in this tournament you can’t carry people.

Rossa

Why bot play Lingard in Dele’s position, switch Sterling to the right and Rashford to the left? Lingard is much better through the middle, and Dele looks terribllybout of form. Continuing to play him may cost Southgate from an otherwise impressive set-up.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why bot play Lingard in Dele’s position, switch Sterling to the right and Rashford to the left? Lingard is much better through the middle, and Dele looks terribllybout of form. Continuing to play him may cost Southgate from an otherwise impressive set-up.
You want Rashford and Sterling as WBs?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
True, I forgot about the formative. On the other hand. Sterling seems to operate from the left and Lingard more from the right. Do you think Dele has been good enough?
Dele has been well below par, injury maybe but I’m not making excuses, Southgate shouldn’t be picking him if someone else who is 100%.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Is Englan using a 3-5-2 atm? If so, he is not fit to play in that midfield. Should use him in a 3-4-2-1 behind Kane.

Reiver

I've nothing against him but he doesn't seem fit. You can make an argument for why Southgate keeps Sterling in the team despite repeated sub par performances but he surely can't keep picking Alli.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Dele has been well below par, injury maybe but I’m not making excuses, Southgate shouldn’t be picking him if someone else who is 100%.
He wasn't at his best for the majority of last season to be fair. He contributed in terms of goals, but his overall game was lacking.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He wasn't at his best for the majority of last season to be fair. He contributed in terms of goals, but his overall game was lacking.
Again I wouldn’t disagree, many time I would have rather had Eriksen in the middle, Son on the left and Lamela or Lucas on the right. The only thing I can think is what ever you think of Dele he is one of those players that can come up with something special. It’s known he trains very hard and doesn’t slack off, maybe that’s why he keeps getting picked.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
As a Spurs ST holder, he certainly does have the talent. I actually think he will end up as a no 8. If you look at his off the ball work, his stats are fantastic. England quite literally fell apart when he left the field last night, coincidence or is Alli under rated? His off the ball work for Spurs and England in the press is exceptional. You don't play for Poch if you aren't a grafter. Yes, Alli has certainly not contributed at all in an attacking sense in an England shirt ever really, but he is still young. At the end of the day he is still one of the best youngsters in world football and England do not have the luxury of making players like Alli a reserve, when he posts such brilliant goals and assists in the PL.

Who is the alternative? The problem is people get annoyed when they expect Alli to play the Eriksen role for England, when Eriksen plays that role for Spurs. Alli is not a no 10. He is one of the best players England have at making through balls, and attacking runs. He's also one of their biggest goal threats. England's problem is they do not have a De Buyne or an Eriksen in their squad.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Not a centre midfielder. What Southgate should do is put him behind Kane and possibly Loftus Cheek (Oxlade would have perfect) next to Lingard.

Kane
Alli
Lingard Henderson Loftus Cheek​

Alli is at best as an attacking midfielder/second striker. He makes fantastic runs in behind and has enact of finding the right position in the box. More of a natural finisher than Sterling too.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Alli is undoubtedly the weak link in this England XI. If they had a better player in there, or one in better form, I’d fancy them to go all the way. He’s been anonymous every single game he’s played in this tournament.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Alli is undoubtedly the weak link in this England XI. If they had a better player in there, or one in better form, I’d fancy them to go all the way. He’s been anonymous every single game he’s played in this tournament.
Stirling says hello.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Another awful performance from Alli today. I have no idea how he is commanding a first-team place with the dross he is offering up.

Minimalist

Kind of all over the place. I really struggle to understand what he brings to the table bar being tidy.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Sterling was chronic in the final minutes of that half, yes, but he’s been a menace in pretty much every match in the tournament. Alli has been the total opposite. Has he got fitness issues? He looks nowhere near the player of two years ago.
I agree actually, Dele should be benched, he's clearly not fit.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Stirling says hello.
Stirling is indecisive at times but he does, at least, offer an attacking threat by using clever movement and pace. Dele Alli is not contributing to the team in any way, shape or form. He needs replacing ASAP.

Bar a mind-blowing performance in the second half, Alli will not be starting in the semi-finals - at least he shouldn't be anyway.

luke511

Scores a good goal every now and again but fecking hell, his MK Dons roots are showing.