Dele Alli - Performance Thread 2017/18

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
What? Sterling's done fine this half. Alli is still a passenger as all tournament. Has to be hooked up for loftus cheek.
Stirling, has been running about like a headless chicken, when presented with a chance to possibly put England in the semi he chokes. I agree Dele shouldn't be starting.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Has had a poor tournament so far but he is the kind of player that will do nothing but then score the important goal. Not yet so far though!

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Figure Southgate just doesn't want to mess with a winning formula, no matter what he is seeing out there.

Otherwise there is no excuse for Alli. He's not offering anything whatsoever in the past 3 hours of football.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Stirling is indecisive at times but he does, at least, offer an attacking threat by using clever movement and pace. Dele Alli is not contributing to the team in any way, shape or form. He needs replacing ASAP.

Bar a mind-blowing performance in the second half, Alli will not be starting in the semi-finals - at least he shouldn't be anyway.
I agree with Dele being dropped but I think Stirling has been poor the whole tournament, if he makes clever runs and makes space how come England haven't scored a goal in open play that hasn't been from a set piece, would much rather see Rashford up there.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I agree with Dele being dropped but I think Stirling has been poor the whole tournament, if he makes clever runs and makes space how come England haven't scored a goal in open play that hasn't been from a set piece?
Sterling has been poor for most of the tournament but not this half, despite the misses he's linking play very well, making good runs, taking on players well and is a better link to Kane than Alli has been all tournament.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Sterling has been poor for most of the tournament but not this half, despite the misses he's linking play very well, making good runs, taking on players well and is a better link to Kane than Alli has been all tournament.
Maybe better this half, maybe, but he is playing as a striker, a simple square ball to Kane who was a few yards to his left and that's 2 nil.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I like him for what he did to Colombia. They were playing like dirty cnuts and he did the right thing, trying to provoke them to get even more yellows.

Walters_19_MuFc

Scoring goals is what he does. Anything in and around the box, and Dele sniffs out opportunities. Great movement and a nice header.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Stirling, has been running about like a headless chicken, when presented with a chance to possibly put England in the semi he chokes. I agree Dele shouldn't be starting.
I don't want to sound too rude but if all you see from Sterling is running around like a headless chicken, maybe commenting on football isn't your thing.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don't want to sound too rude but if all you see from Sterling is running around like a headless chicken, maybe commenting on football isn't your thing.
Well that's me told, for City he is a completely different player. For England he Has been nowhere close to that level, he's much better as a wide player. The 2 times he got through one on one he fluffed (yes one was offside, but he didn't know) it. If you think he has been good in the tournament your entitled to your opinion, but I can't agree. In the final third the only players that have impressed me much is Lingard, Trippier and Kane, the rest of it has been meh.

Djemba-Djemba

I thought he was dreadful up until the goal, which he took very well.

After that he looked much better, his confidence seemed to be back.

Can only be a good thing for England.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I thought he was dreadful up until the goal, which he took very well.

After that he looked much better, his confidence seemed to be back.

Can only be a good thing for England.
I think this is why managers have a lot of faith in Dele, there were time s this season where Poch simply wouldn’t drop him, there is always a chance he will pop up with a goal. There isn’t anyone else with the same ability for getting a goal in the England midfield, no could step in.

Djemba-Djemba

I think this is why managers have a lot of faith in Dele, there were time s this season where Poch simply wouldn’t drop him, there is always a chance he will pop up with a goal. There isn’t anyone else with the same ability for getting a goal in the England midfield, no could step in.
My issue is that today is only his third goal for England in 20 odd caps. We've had to wait through an awful lot of shitty performances to get this goal but I agree with what you said generally.

He took the goal like a striker, I'd certainly rather a chance fall to him than Sterling or Lingard to be honest.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
My issue is that today is only his third goal for England in 20 odd caps. We've had to wait through an awful lot of shitty performances to get this goal but I agree with what you said generally.

He took the goal like a striker, I'd certainly rather a chance fall to him than Sterling or Lingard to be honest.
Il probably get slated for saying this but I would like to see Dele in behind Kane, I know this drops Sterling but it would be a much better suited pairing. It’s a shame Lalanna wasn’t in the squad, him in Dele’s position would be much more creative. But ultimately I agree, Dele has been pretty disappointing in an England shirt.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Il probably get slated for saying this but I would like to see Dele in behind Kane, I know this drops Sterling but it would be a much better suited pairing. It’s a shame Lalanna wasn’t in the squad, him in Dele’s position would be much more creative. But ultimately I agree, Dele has been pretty disappointing in an England shirt.
I think you are right. Dele is much better when he is closer to the goal. An average midfielder, but a good second striker.

Usually I would suggest putting RLC in midfield instead, but against Croatia you need intensity to match their high energy midfield. Dier, Henderson and Lingard in midfield with Alli and Kane up top.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think you are right. Dele is much better when he is closer to the goal. An average midfielder, but a good second striker.

Usually I would suggest putting RLC in midfield instead, but against Croatia you need intensity to match their high energy midfield. Dier, Henderson and Lingard in midfield with Alli and Kane up top.
Would be a massive risk but who knows, move Henderson forward and put Dier as the DM, It won’t happen and the midfield would still lack a creative player but would give a much more authordox front two. I still don’t think Dele is fully fit though either.

Last edited:

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Would be a massive risk but who know, move Henderson forward and put Dier as the DM, It won’t happen and the midfield would still lack a creative player but would give a much more authordox front two. I still don’t think Dele is fully fit though either.
Lingard is the creative player in midfield:nervous:

Who needs creativity when you have corners and penalties:wenger:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Should have taken Jack :wenger:

Bobski

Been bad at the last 2 tournaments. Playing the long game with him though, same as Sterling, both had their difficult moments, England must be hoping they can get through it going forward, 5 goals in 73 games combined.

luke511

Been awful all tournament and his entire career for England so far, he's nothing special that's for sure.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
My favourite Dele Alli moment last night was around 122nd minute when England were chasing a goal and he wanted to get in a fight with Croatian player by intentionally kicking him for no reason about 60m away from goal. What a stupid idiot.

Minimalist

Don't really know what he does bar flick the ball around in a tidy fashion.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He was gash no problem saying it at all, the front 4 was wank. Its not surprising with a winger playing as a striker, a striker playing as a false 9 and an attacking midfielder playing in midfield and doesn't Lingard usually play wider and more advanced?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He can score goals from midfield, which is a great asset. But he isn't a great footballer

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes we all dislike him on here, but in fairness he's not been fully fit the whole tournament, and like Walker, has had to change his game for the team's benefit.

ti vu

He is not midfielder. Ain't it obvious. Strange to burden him with midfielder task while having one sole midfielder in Henderson and expect difference. That's before we're arriving at Lingard and Sterling both on different level of wastefulness. Alli is no saint, in those type of shortcoming, but I don't think he or Sterling or you name it. England improved much as a team in term of movement due to these players (movement, energy, positive attitude in trying to play), and their downfall also because of these players. Same can be said about Southgate. England did well because of him but also failed in the end due to his shortcoming (selection for plan B. timing of sub, tactical change in game...). No need to scapegoating, switch hunting anyone. Be proud of what they contributed and hope for future improvement.

Utdstar01

Yes we all dislike him on here, but in fairness he's not been fully fit the whole tournament, and like Walker, has had to change his game for the team's benefit.
He's never been anything special for England though. Why are we playing a number 10 in the centre of the park? I'd go as far as saying we'd have been better with even Wilshere there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's never been anything special for England though. Why are we playing a number 10 in the centre of the park? I'd go as far as saying we'd have been better with even Wilshere there.
Wilshere didn't have a good season, Lallana too few games post injury, the Ox injured. Dier mediocre. Delph - hasn't played at centre mid this season for his club, and is mediocre.
A fairly shocking selection really, especially when Hendo is the undisputed starter.

We had long spells in this tournament not looking like creating anything. After half time, that was massively apparent.