Dele Alli

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Robbie Boy, May 1, 2019.

1. Jun 2, 2019

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

Lingard is much better in an England shirt than Alli is.

Alli is consistently awful for England.
  2. Jun 2, 2019

kiristao Full Member

Was pretty invisible last night..
  3. Jun 2, 2019

Jacob Full Member

Infuriating player, and I don't even care for the team he plays for. Waste of space.
  4. Jun 2, 2019

Acole9 Outstanding

He has to be the most overrated English player there is right now. He's been rubbish for a while now.
  5. Jun 2, 2019

SquishyMcSquish New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    He's been rubbish for a season. One season.

He's still only 23, a poor season is not the end of the world, especially since even this year we've seen glimpses of his ability.

In his debut season in the PL he got 18 goals 7 assists and then followed that up with 9 goals and 10 assists, but people now want to ignore all that and call him the new Lingard (a player who in his later twenties is still yet to get double figures for goals ever) just because he had a poor year. It's stupidly knee jerk.

He's not a top tier talent imo, not what the English media dubbed him at the start, but he is still a great young player with fantastic potential. His movement is top class and I don't know why people are questioning his technique which can be superb at times, his final ball, touch etc is very often excellent. Things haven't clicked for him this season and he's lost that goalscoring touch, if it happens again next season then we have an issue.

One thing is 100% for sure - he's shit for England. Always has been and shouldn't be near the starting XI. He won't be the first good player to not do it in international colours though.
  6. Jun 2, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    He has had a poor season - I think the hamstring problem has obviously hampered him a lot however he just hasn't been the same player in terms of end product and ability that we saw in the previous two. I still think he is potentially a really good player but he needs to start proving it again next year. I think we need somebody there in the squad who could replace him to give him a kick up the arse - hopefully we sign somebody like that in the summer.
  7. Jun 9, 2019

SteveW Full Member

Dele scored 5 league goals last season. What's happened to him?
  8. Jun 9, 2019

Bobski Full Member

Teams planning for him, Ali losing confidence. I don't rate him particularly highly but all young players go through this phase when the football world knows your game.
  9. Jun 9, 2019

youmeletsfly Full Member

He was good 2-3 seasons ago, this season he's been utterly disappointing.
  10. Jun 9, 2019

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    He was good last season.
  11. Jun 9, 2019

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

His best season so far was 16/17.
  12. Jun 9, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

He was shit last season
  13. Jun 9, 2019

Hammondo New Member

Massively over hyped.
  14. Jun 9, 2019

haram Full Member

He is a good player. Not perfect and has his faults but people will over react and say he's shit.
  15. Jun 9, 2019

SteveW Full Member

Seems to be what they're saying. I definitely remember him looking really good a while ago so cant say I agree with them
  16. Jun 9, 2019

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

Not a fan of his
  17. Jun 9, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    He had two great, productive seasons at a young age and then a disappointing one, he's not 'shit' and he hasn't been 'found out' (whatever the feck this even means) it was just a poor season for him.

18 goals 7 assists and 9 goals 10 assists in your first two seasons at PL is exceptional for an attacking midfielder. It would be pretty damn good for a young striker.

If he's at this level again next season then it'll look worrying, a few of our stars underperformed this year. Both Alli and Eriksen were very disappointing, the latter better but just as inconsistent.
  18. Jun 9, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

He played OK today but I’m still not convinced on him for England.
  19. Jun 9, 2019

Lee565 Full Member

Could just be post world cup form that can effect some players but he has looked poor for England in general before the last world cup.
  20. Jun 9, 2019

Yagami Full Member

Pochettino has done wonders for this guy and Eriksen. Making these players look better than they are is Fergie-esque.
  21. Jun 9, 2019

Litch Full Member

Gone backwards rapidly....
  22. Jun 10, 2019

MagicKarpet New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Been carrying an injury all season, definately needs some rest.
  23. Jun 10, 2019

TwoSheds More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Personally I think calling him an attacking midfielder is disingenuous, the only position where he's shown promise is as a battering ram 2nd striker. And I think 9 goals is not a great return from such a position.

Having said that, I think the assists stats were impressive. I reckon that the reason both his and Eriksen's assist stats might have suffered this season is because Kane has become complacent and his finishing has been off. He's hardly ever inside the box any more in the positions he used to take up, he's always sitting deep trying to be Messi, and it just doesn't work for him. His injuries of course don't help either, as Llorente for example is just not on the same level even if he does have some good qualities for the team.
  24. Jun 10, 2019

MagicKarpet New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    He didn't play as a 2nd striker when he scored 9 goals, that was his first season as an 18 year old in the Prem playing as an AMF.

The only time he's played as a second striker is 2016/17 where he scored 18 goals.
  25. Jun 11, 2019

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Rumours are he has been carrying an injury all season, no idea if it’s true but yeah been dissappointing.
  26. Jun 11, 2019

Mike Phelan's Former Tash New Member

Just taller.

Every time I've watched him for Spurs or England I've found him underwhelming. Like the OP I don't get it. He doesn't seem to have progressed over the last few years.

Maybe I'm wrong, not a spurs fan and don't watch him every week.
  27. Jun 11, 2019

MagicKarpet New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Been carrying the same injury since the summer, remember when he got injured in the World Cup...that's the same niggling one that didn't go away.

Plus he injured himself again against Fulham when he was starting to play well and came back not fully fit and of course didn't have a proper pre season.

I reckon the summer off will do him good, reckon he's a bit mentally burnt out as well - just like Kane.
  28. Jun 11, 2019

sun_tzu The Art of Bore

Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.
    will be interesting to see how he fares if (when) erikson goes... he might step up and really nail down his place behind kane or might struggle without somebody like erikson alongside him.
    personally Im hopeful from an England point of view that he recaptures the form of last season - though from a united point of view I hope he falls flat on his face and he and spurs are a total flop
  29. Jun 11, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think the 'still carrying an injury' stuff is a bit of a cop out if I'm honest. Maybe it had an impact but if that's the case then our medical team have dropped the ball completely, would much rather he simply got rested and could recover from the injury. It wasn't like he was doing much other than stinking out the place most weeks.

I just put it down to a poor season, maybe after getting ahead of himself a bit. I think a bit more competition for England/Spurs could give him a kick up the arse.
  30. Jun 11, 2019

Scroto Baggins Full Member

Young player, always going to be inconsistent until he matures. Was a big complaint about Eriksen as well when he was young.

I think Dier has plateaued more than Alli.
  31. Jun 11, 2019

MagicKarpet New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think you are understating the fact that injuries can have an impact players, not just Dele this season, a number of our players looked below par due to partly the World Cup hangover or due to being run into the ground due to our squad being so small and our self imposed transfer ban which is why I wouldn't be so quick to point the finger at our medical team.

Players just don't go from having good seasons to poor ones without reason, I mean the season just gone was his 4th year playing in the Prem and I'm pretty sure him getting ahead of himself would have been after the first season when he picked up the YPOTY award.
  32. Jun 11, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    He didn't really look injured to me, I didn't notice him not moving freely. If that was the case and he was being impeded I simply can't see him continuing to get selected by both Spurs and England, especially for the Nations League games. If he was truly still hampered by injury issues post season he would have taken the summer off, I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest it was a genuine issue. Our squad being small and therefore key players getting overplayed is an issue though.

Young players do, it can definitely happen. He's still in his early twenties and an off season here or there isn't out of the ordinary. I think the world cup/this season he's looked a little too much like he's made it at times, he tries silly things in silly positions of the pitch and can be a bit predictable with his flicks etc. He has the ability but needs to mix it up and get his head down.
  33. Sep 21, 2019 at 12:08

Robbie Boy Full Member

Not even in the squad today. Things haven’t been too good for him for a long while now.
  34. Sep 21, 2019 at 12:25

Hammondo New Member

He is not good enough for Spurs, they could easily get better.