Di Maria replacement if he decides to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLoveless

I'm not sure about this. His trophy signings last year weren't particularly successful, in hindsight. I think our approach to this window has been different, and rightly so. We'll probably sign Pedro for the winger position and go all in for Ramos. If he comes that'd be the trophy signing but if he doesn't, I don't think we'll make one just for the sake of it.
Signing Di Maria last season was a HUGE success in terms of signing IMO. It didn't work out if he is going (if he would stay it still can) but at the time it happened it was one of our biggest signings. Woodward cannot be blamed for the success of the players. The coach, the other players and the english climate can.

Enigma_87

You know who
OK, if we sell some players it does make sense, I just don't think we will sell Young and he did deserve to be here to be fair.
To be fair I can't see how we can use Fellaini at the moment and what advantage he would give us at the moment. He has a lot of players in front of him in the pecking order and given that he had a good season last year it would make sense to sell him now.

Young I see there is no contract offered yet and his current one expires next summer I can see him being offloaded until the end of the window to a prem side.

Wilson IMO should be loaned out to a side that will play him regularly (I know that loan deals never work out for us but at the moment he's not ready for the first team).

Januzaj we should keep but be a squad player in light of current form.

Pereira is not ready yet, but can feature in CC and FA cups.

Mata should play centrally most of the time. Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger,Mata, Herrera, Carrick, Blind - again 6 players that can rotate for 3 positions. In addition to that Blind can fill in the defence and Mata can fill on the wing given all 6 of them are fit to play.

Add to that the 9 defenders we currently have + additional one and 2-3 goalkeepers we will have a 25 man squad which is about what we need for all fronts this year.

I believe next month we will see some players leave.

At the moment we have Nani, RvP, Falcao out
Bastian,Morgan,Darmian, Depay in.

Rafael will most likely leave, so will Evans if we buy another CB. With AdM leaving and for sake of camparison us buying 2 forwards + 1 CB, and one of Young/Fellaini leaving we will have the same number of senior players like the last year without CL.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Signing Di Maria last season was a HUGE success in terms of signing IMO. It didn't work out if he is going (if he would stay it still can) but at the time it happened it was one of our biggest signings. Woodward cannot be blamed for the success of the players. The coach, the other players and the english climate can.
I said in hindsight. I'm not blaming anybody. He was, however, signed because he was a world class player and on the market, not because he'd fit into our style of play or because we needed that particular type of player. Same with Falcao. It was a risk - it could've worked if they had adapted to the conditions in the club and league. It didn't work, which is why now we're following a more practical approach. I don't think we'll sign a player just because he's very good and is available but rather go for someone whose qualities are best suited to our needs.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Good riddance.

It's got to be Reus to replace him.

Depay and Reus flanking a striker with Herrera in behind :drool:

thejtrain

Massive waste. I mean, how often does a player break a national transfer record then only stay one season?
Poor attitude from him. It's now obvious that his problem was getting out of Real - he never really wanted us in the first place. I hate these Argie players - they are all the same. I hope he fails like all of his mates and fecks off to his homeland.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Pedro will come in and then we'll see it off with a CB.
I cant see us not bringing a Striker in - regardless of Pedro possibly coming.

But in saying that, i dont want us bringing any run-of-the-mill Striker in just for the sake of it either, so i'd settle with just having Pedro as the last forward addition.

The center-back situation is becoming somewhat frustrating & confusing also. Are we really after Otamendi, or is he just plan B if we cant get Ramos?!

The links seem to be strong with both players - so much so, that it's like we're looking to obtain both of them, which would be an amazing window for us & we'd be so solid at the back & have so many options in the event of nailed-on injuries to our CB's.

Devil may care

If he leaves, I'd rather we don't go for a replacement and instead give more game time to Pereira, Lingard & Januzaj.
I think the only one affected would be Lingard.

Reus should be top priority if AdM leaves. Fekir is too much of an unknown entity at this stage and would be a much riskier purchase. Given that the team doesn't need yet another unknown variable, it would be wise to go for someone like Reus who is proven.

The only concern that I have with Reus purchase would be his frequent injuries. Apart from that he's world class.
The other concern with Reus is that he seems like he doesn't really fancy the PL. Feikir on the other hand is built for the PL IMO but of course has less top level experience.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
The ones who fit perfectly in our need for a player, footballing wise and stardom wise:
Bale, Hazard, Sanchez, Ronaldo, Reus, Griezmann
There is zero chance of getting any of these players

Some other attackers who are big talented stars:
Isco, Draxler, James Rodriguez, Goetze, Muller, David Silva, Coutinho

I don't think these players fit, footballing wise. They are either too central or/and not pacey enough. Plus some are just out of reach.

I believe that two are kinda gettable and will help us a little bit: Moura and Pedro.

These might not be enough, but just realistic.

TheLoveless

Poor attitude from him. It's now obvious that his problem was getting out of Real - he never really wanted us in the first place. I hate these Argie players - they are all the same. I hope he fails like all of his mates and fecks off to his homeland.

Are you angry at Tevez?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
The ones who fit perfectly in our need for a player, footballing wise and stardom wise:

I don't think these players fit, footballing wise. They are either too central or/and not pacey enough. Plus some are just out of reach.

I believe that two are kinda gettable and will help us a little bit: Moura and Pedro.

Out of those I would have Moura and Goetze. These 2 could be attainable and would add a new dimension to the team and strengthen the areas which need it most. Moura out on the wing with his pace and skill and then Goteze as a forward in place of Rooney when injured, banned or off form.

Griezemann would be possible as he has a release clause, whether or not he wants to leave is another thing.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33666730

If the BBC are talking about it in such a matter of fact way, it looks pretty likely he's off.

Massive waste. I mean, how often does a player break a national transfer record then only stay one season?
Only really Robinho at City and Ibrahimovich for Barca come to mind. Although Ibra wasn't a transfer record it was still a lot, and i think Robinho stayed for 10 or so games into the next season. It's a pretty unique thing we're seeing with Di Maria.

TheLoveless

I was, but not that angry anymore tbh. What's your point, though?
No point. Just curious.

I think Tevez was just bitter. I think he wanted to stay with us but was not allowed to for a various of circumstances. No one who was not bitter would wear the RIP Fergie t-shirt IMO.

Von Mistelroum

I'm well and truly on the Felipe Anderson boat now that he's a reported target. I love the guy and he'd be perfect. Pedro is actually pretty great too though so I'd be happy with him. Both would be better ;)

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I can't see us getting Anderson AND Pedro. It would be great for squad depth but we may be overstocked with players up there which may lead to unhappy ones. Given that Memphis, Young, Pereira, Januzaj, Mata and maybe to a lesser extent Valencia are all fighting for those 2 wing slots of the 4-3-3, adding another two may be a little tricky to keep everyone happy. I haven't watched Anderson enough to make a judgement so I'd naturally want Pedro. Wouldn't be against Anderson though - heard good things about him. Seems to have a lot of pace about him.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
It would have to be a top proven player or nobody, because we have young players who are waiting in the wings for the chance to prove themselves. Signing an unproven player to replace ADM would really knock the confidence of Januzaij and the like, whilst it would be easier to justify signing a world class player as replacement.
Bale is EPL and Europe proven, Reus and Gotze are proven in Europe.

Pedro is good, but i doubt he will make a big impact.

Revan

Assumptionman

Seeing Muller, Rodriguez and Silva (especially Muller) below anyone there bar Ronaldo, makes me feel sad.

I think that there isn't a player right there who fits us more than Muller.

What is doing Draxler with those names?

thejtrain

No point. Just curious.

I think Tevez was just bitter. I think he wanted to stay with us but was not allowed to for a various of circumstances. No one who was not bitter would wear the RIP Fergie t-shirt IMO.
Absolutely. I was gutted we didn't sign him up, but he simply came across as a bitter tw*t afterward, so it was hard to like him. But ya, his case is a bit different from that of Veron's, Heinze's and AdM's.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Very slow news day so far. Wish something would happen, maybe a couple of signings to wear the new kit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Absolutely. I was gutted we didn't sign him up, but he simply came across as a bitter tw*t afterward, so it was hard to like him. But ya, his case is a bit different from that of Veron's, Heinze's and AdM's.
Imagine if we'd gotten another 5 years of service from Tevez.

TheLoveless

I agree. He acted like a baby.

Was it that bad with Veron? I don't remember but thought he was forced out as well

jem

Zabaleta seems like a pretty decent guy, as does Aguero. I'd have either on United. Messi also comes across quite well. I don't think we should let the behaviour of Di Maria and Tevez colour our perception of Argentines, any more than we should allow the likes of Robinho and Anderson to turn us off Brazilians.

thejtrain

I agree. He acted like a baby.

Was it that bad with Veron? I don't remember but thought he was forced out as well
Apparently he wanted to stay, but Fergie, despite having defended him throughout his spell here, was ready to let him go.

thejtrain

Yes but I did not remember that he acted like Tevez after his departure?
True he didn't, so, yes his case was totally different from Tevez's (or Heinze's for that matter) - it was merely a case of a potentially great signing not working out for us rather than them bitching their way out.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
not really, Aguero for example keeps saying how he loves playing at City etc etc, even came out with this himself when all the Real Madrid rumours started going on. Too bad for us honestly, as Aguero is a cut above any other Argentinian that ever played in Manchester, and is playing for the wrong side.

Status
Not open for further replies.