Di Maria replacement if he decides to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Hopefully those who want Pedro can handle those horrible antics they seem to be ripping into di Maria for.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
The only positive spin to ADM leaving is that:
Woodward will want a trophy signing this year, like last one. I was worried he will go for striker as that's the one spot available. But the signing of a star striker would again cause imbalance in the squad. We would have tried to fit two strikers and cause imbalance or play rooney or the new striker out of position.
Now that we seem to be losing ADM for a good value(it is less than 59.7 but 46m is still good), Woodward will have the opportunity and funds to go for a trophy signing in a position that needs a player.
If we sort our GKs, CB, Striker(not star) position out in the next two weeks.
The signing of a star wide attacker(Bale/Reus/Griezmann) will make for an exciting end to the transfer window :-)

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Then you're obviously happy to play the waiting game when it comes to titles, fair enough.

When building a title winning squad it seems a bit rash to replace WC talent with youngsters who aren't proven.
Who says we cant win anything with youngsters? Are you Alan Hansen? We didnt need ADM much last season, admittedly he was sensational at the beginning of the season but in the latter part of the season we didnt need him as much and used Mata on the wing. This worked out perfectly, the reason for not replacing him is that we have strengthened the middle of the pitch were we lacked last season. This gives us a much better basis for kicking on and winning the league this season. We struggled without Carrick last season, not so much ADM.

NoLogo

I thought his replacement is already lined up in Pedro?

I personally would prefer de Bruyne or Reus but on the other hand Pedro is very used to playing a possession game and would probably have the least problems to adept.

Question234

Who says we cant win anything with youngsters? Are you Alan Hansen? We didnt need ADM much last season, admittedly he was sensational at the beginning of the season but in the latter part of the season we didnt need him as much and used Mata on the wing. This worked out perfectly, the reason for not replacing him is that we have strengthened the middle of the pitch were we lacked last season. This gives us a much better basis for kicking on and winning the league this season. We struggled without Carrick last season, not so much ADM.
Firstly, people keep saying this to me and I have the same response everytime. Most assists, most chances created, 3rd highest assists in the league. We did need him and he helped us last season, even if his overall matchday contribution wasn't up to par, he put numbers on the board and has and end product, something young doesn't.

Secondly, we finished fourth. So nothing worked perfectly that season. We need to improve and we are letting WC talent go, that is a step backwards unless we get a likewise replacement (not the youth)

Like i said earlier. If it didn't work out it didn't work out. Fine, but people acting like it's not a loss are imo delusional. It's a huge loss. All he needs to do is settle.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
The only positive spin to ADM leaving is that:
Woodward will want a trophy signing this year, like last one. I was worried he will go for striker as that's the one spot available. But the signing of a star striker would again cause imbalance in the squad. We would have tried to fit two strikers and cause imbalance or play rooney or the new striker out of position.
Now that we seem to be losing ADM for a good value(it is less than 59.7 but 46m is still good), Woodward will have the opportunity and funds to go for a trophy signing in a position that needs a player.
If we sort our GKs, CB, Striker(not star) position out in the next two weeks.
The signing of a star wide attacker(Bale/Reus/Griezmann) will make for an exciting end to the transfer window :-)
I'm not sure about this. His trophy signings last year weren't particularly successful, in hindsight. I think our approach to this window has been different, and rightly so. We'll probably sign Pedro for the winger position and go all in for Ramos. If he comes that'd be the trophy signing but if he doesn't, I don't think we'll make one just for the sake of it.

Kounan

The only replacement I would take is Reus, but I would prefer not to buy anyone and give Januzaj and Lingard the chance, the have deserved it.

Rob Bowman

Well this looks on based on recent developments.

I would love Rues, but think Pedro the simple and efficient replacement.

Just need a CB and we are sorted.

AbusementPark

Firstly, people keep saying this to me and I have the same response everytime. Most assists, most chances created, 3rd highest assists in the league. We did need him and he helped us last season, even if his overall matchday contribution wasn't up to par, he put numbers on the board and has and end product, something young doesn't.

Secondly, we finished fourth. So nothing worked perfectly that season. We need to improve and we are letting WC talent go, that is a step backwards unless we get a likewise replacement (not the youth)

Like i said earlier. If it didn't work out it didn't work out. Fine, but people acting like it's not a loss are imo delusional. It's a huge loss. All he needs to do is settle.
Yes its a loss but its not the end of the World and panic buying isnt the Man Utd way, thats a Real Madrid response right their. It worked out with Mata as the partnership him and Herrera had was brilliant, Carrick got injured changed the team dynamic and line up therefore not everyone played in the correct position. Think of the Liverpool away game the link between the 2 Spaniards was brilliant. Whos available that you would class as WC and could replace ADM? Dont forget ADM played as a central figure for Madrid and we have Bastian and Morgan now in the team.

In regards to assists and chances created I already admitted at the beginning of last season he was fantastic and he did provide the most assists for the team. But I believe we should give youth a chance as we have more than enough experienced cover for the RW (Mata and Valencia), even though his preferred position is in the centre of the pitch not the wing.

I would prefer he stayed but if he doesnt want to be at the club then so be it, sell him on we are bigger than one player.

AbusementPark

No they haven't.
They have put in a few good performances in pre-season and are worth having a look at next season, they all changed the game last night and showed aggression and pace, something we lacked on the wing last season due to Valencia being at RB. LVG must be converting Januzaj to play as a striker after the Barcelona game he was brilliant up front. Lingard showed fantastic pace and control and could come through this season.

Kounan

When it comes to chances creation:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...er-united-best-chance-creator-in-2014-15.aspx

Young, who played most of the games as wb created 34, even RVP created 27.... Di Maria did create a lot of chances, but he lost even more balls. I don't like players who create a lot of chances because they just get the ball in the box again and again even when it doesn't really makes sense and at the end their numbers are good, but it didn't really help the team. I do not like to play it to safe, but di Maria's performance last season was just bad (good beginning of the season, but after that a good game against Burnley and that's it).

Rowem

gently, down the stream
If someone suggested a year ago that Pedro would be a good alternative to Di Maria :lol:
Two or three years ago and Pedro would have been considered the better option.

Anyway, it's not about who is the better player.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
If Di Maria leaves, and this seems like a matter of time at this point, we should only target an established great wide player or a great wing prospect (like Depay). Pedro is a very good player to have in the squad, but I'd honestly want us to aim higher. We should make an attempt to get Reus or Griezmann (already established great wide players). De Bruyne isn't exactly a winger, but can also play there. I haven't seen them play much, but people have also talked about Fekir and Felipe Anderson as solid prospects here.
I'm against going for a prospect like Fekir or Felipe Anderson. We have some extremely talented youngsters of our own. Plus, I don't think Fekir or Felipe Anderson would start ahead of our current options so they would end up on the bench further restricting game for Januzaj and co. I think Pedro would be an excellent stop gap to be honest.

JoaquinJoaquin

Does anyone else think that we won't sign a Di Maria replacement? I think Pedro would of been signed / targeted regardless.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
I'm not sure about this. His trophy signings last year weren't particularly successful, in hindsight. I think our approach to this window has been different, and rightly so. We'll probably sign Pedro for the winger position and go all in for Ramos. If he comes that'd be the trophy signing but if he doesn't, I don't think we'll make one just for the sake of it.
Fair point.

Ralph1386

We already have Mata, Depay and Young. I don't think we need a direct replacement.

Can't we just let Pereira and Januzaj fight it out and just use the DiMaria money to fill in other positions?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Why not, they are doing OK on the tour, when should they get the chance?

We have Mata, Depay, Youung who can play on wings, so where is the problem of keeping them and giving them a proper chance, like we used to do before?
Exactly, on tour against MLS teams and Barcelona second string playing their first game. This should not affect our plans regarding reinforcements at all.

Sarni

We already have Mata, Depay and Young. I don't think we need a direct replacement.

Can't we just let Pereira and Januzaj fight it out and just use the DiMaria money to fill in other positions?
Mata is not a winger. If we intend to play 433 then for upfront positons we will have Depay, Rooney, Hernandez, Young plus Januzaj and Wilson who are youngsters, and Mata who isn't a classic winger anyway. We need signings.

90% we will get Pedro.

izec

Reus, but he isnt available.

Throw the money at KDB, excellent player, could help us in multiple psoitions.

Kounan

Mata is not a winger. If we intend to play 433 then for upfront positons we will have Depay, Rooney, Hernandez, Young plus Januzaj and Wilson who are youngsters, and Mata who isn't a classic winger anyway. We need signings.

90% we will get Pedro.
Mata actually is a winger, that's what he played at Valencia and in first season at Chelsea and that's what he plays at United. But even if we move him in the middle, Depay takes his plays, if Depay goes left, Young will take his place.

If we buy someone new, we have to sell some of these players.

The youth should finally get the chance and they to have the potential. It's not like they are asked to play every game.

If we need signings it should be a striker, because Rooney's first touch will never improve and in all games were we depend on it we will have problems. When it comes to wingers, we have enough and if we have to buy someone, let it be someone WC so we at least know why are youth players are not playing.

Deleted member 78215

Griezmann. Quality player - quick, intelligent, skilful, disciplined, versatile. He could play pretty much anywhere across the front three.

I know he's been mostly used as a SS for Atletico, but he's a fine winger and, in the event of Rooney being injured, could comfortably fill in for him.

Sarni

Mata actually is a winger, that's what he played at Valencia and in first season at Chelsea and that's what he plays at United. But even if we move him in the middle, Depay takes his plays, if Depay goes left, Young will take his place.

If we buy someone new, we have to sell some of these players.

The youth should finally get the chance and they to have the potential. It's not like they are asked to play every game.

If we need signings it should be a striker, because Rooney's first touch will never improve and in all games were we depend on it we will have problems. When it comes to wingers, we have enough and if we have to buy someone, let it be someone WC so we at least know why are youth players are not playing.
We don't have to sell anyone if we buy. For striker position we are extremely short, Rooney then Hernandez and then it's a youngster with barely any experience, also probably not ready. For winger position we have Young and Depay on the left, Mata on the right and Januzaj who can play there but copes better in central role. For a team that can possibly have 50+ games next season this is actually very short.

Won't get into youth argument because if people had their way about 'extremely talented youth' we'd still be playing with Eagles, Richardson and David Jones. If they are good enough they will get their chance. Januzaj played a lot when he was doing well, he stopped playing when he started struggling. Every single player will be treated the same way. It'd be absurd for Manchester United to pass on signing someone like Pedro (or someone even better) because Jesse Lingard deserves his chance on the basis of two preseason games.

Enigma_87

You know who
We don't need direct replacement. Pedro if he's available at the price quoted(release clause) is a must.

I'd take Pedro at 30m euros and if Griezmann/Reus wants to come and they will accept something in the 60m EUR range we should get them both.

We still need a CB afterwards tho.

djembatheking

I hate all these Di Maria stats about chances created and assists . We don`t see stats about giving the ball away , going down easy and general poor play . My eyes don`t lie and he was shit and looked like he didn`t care so can`t see him leaving being a great loss . The signings we have already made will improve the team no end .

Kounan

We don't have to sell anyone if we buy. For striker position we are extremely short, Rooney then Hernandez and then it's a youngster with barely any experience, also probably not ready. For winger position we have Young and Depay on the left, Mata on the right and Januzaj who can play there but copes better in central role. For a team that can possibly have 50+ games next season this is actually very short.

Won't get into youth argument because if people had their way about 'extremely talented youth' we'd still be playing with Eagles, Richardson and David Jones. If they are good enough they will get their chance. Januzaj played a lot when he was doing well, he stopped playing when he started struggling. Every single player will be treated the same way. It'd be absurd for Manchester United to pass on signing someone like Pedro (or someone even better) because Jesse Lingard deserves his chance on the basis of two preseason games.
How is the youth going to get the chance, when they have 2 players who will start before them, and actually there could be three players because if Pedro and Mata get injured, there is a good chance that Young, or Depay would be moved there.

Also, why bring Pedro if we have Mata, what are we actually going to do if we bring him? What is going to happen with Mata, Herrera and Young, how are we going to play them?

When it comes to striker, we need someone who can lead the line, but that will not happen as long as Rooney is here and he will be here for at least 2 more years.

I know we are going to play a lot of games, but other teams do it too, but still they have a clear hierarchy who plays most of the games so there is no real rotation.

Sarni

How is the youth going to get the chance, when they have 2 players who will start before them, and actually there could be three players because if Pedro and Mata get injured, there is a good chance that Young, or Depay would be moved there.

Also, why bring Pedro if we have Mata, what are we actually going to do if we bring him? What is going to happen with Mata, Herrera and Young, how are we going to play them?

When it comes to striker, we need someone who can lead the line, but that will not happen as long as Rooney is here and he will be here for at least 2 more years.

I know we are going to play a lot of games, but other teams do it too, but still they have a clear hierarchy who plays most of the games so there is no real rotation.
Youth will get the chance when they are better than the first team players. If Januzaj or Lingard are better than Young or Mata they will play ahead of them. I don't have much expectations for Lingard though, at 23 with no PL experience I think it's too late for him to make it here. Januzaj has time in his favour but he'll probably prefer a central role and he was really poor last season to be honest. Pereira is the one I think has the best chance of making it but he has 1-2 years before he's ready anyway.

It's a squad game, you cannot rely on a few player to carry you. Young is probably not good enough to be a regular here anyway and should be a squad player, Depay is still very early into his United career and will take a while to settle.

As for Mata I'd rotate him between wing and tip of midfield depending on the game. Just don't expect him to perform like a winger would, he could wide playmaker.

I don't think we will make top 4 if we don't strengthen our attack options. We have very little to offer up front really and we're in for another season of dull football with lots of slow passing and possession that ends up with no threat. Depay is probably our most exciting player and that's saying a lot.

Enigma_87

You know who

if AdM is sold we will have Pedro, Depay, Adnan, Rooney, Wilson, Mata for three positions. Young and Fellaini most likely will be sold. Pereira is too young yet to feature regularly, Wilson most probably won't feature all that much, same goes for Januzaj given his current form. With that in mind we can still bring another forward if we sell AdM and bring in Pedro. Even if we get Pedro AND another forward (Griezmann/Reus) who can play anywhere in the front three, all will get enough games IMO with CL around as well.

we will have

Depay/Januzaj/New Forward ----- Depay/Rooney/New Forward/Wilson/Hernandez-----Mata/Pedro/New Forward

With plenty of options.

Mata however should play as a #10 infront of 2 holding midfielders in some games so IMO he will be most of the time starter.

Young/Hernandez/Fellaini hould be sold on that notice.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I hate all these Di Maria stats about chances created and assists . We don`t see stats about giving the ball away , going down easy and general poor play . My eyes don`t lie and he was shit and looked like he didn`t care so can`t see him leaving being a great loss . The signings we have already made will improve the team no end .
Yeah, i've seen that shite been bandied about on here.

Use you eyes to rate a player's performances - not a feckin calculator. Di Maria was piss-poor for 3/4's of last season & it looked pretty evident to me in the last couple of months, that he was tryin to play his way out of the club..

SoCross

Good shout, would like the youth players to get a few more chances in the team if ADM leaves. We have Mata and Valencia as cover for the wing also, using the youth players can only help their development and re-establish our trust in youth.
Then you're obviously happy to play the waiting game when it comes to titles, fair enough.

When building a title winning squad it seems a bit rash to replace WC talent with youngsters who aren't proven.
Everyone is banging on about how Pereira is impressive but if we don't give him games, we'll lose him too. I'd love for Di Maria to stay, such an excellent player but if he leaves, we still have enough options in the form of the youngsters. All the names being touted in here are extremely unlikely except for Pedro and I know I'd rather give one of Lingard, Januzaj or Pereira a chance off the bench than buy him. We have enough quality now to win the league, no need to add to a bloated squad!

Kounan

if AdM is sold we will have Pedro, Depay, Adnan, Rooney, Wilson, Mata for three positions. Young and Fellaini most likely will be sold. Pereira is too young yet to feature regularly, Wilson most probably won't feature all that much, same goes for Januzaj given his current form. With that in mind we can still bring another forward if we sell AdM and bring in Pedro. Even if we get Pedro AND another forward (Griezmann/Reus) who can play anywhere in the front three, all will get enough games IMO with CL around as well.

we will have

Depay/Januzaj/New Forward ----- Depay/Rooney/New Forward/Wilson/Hernandez-----Mata/Pedro/New Forward

With plenty of options.

Mata however should play as a #10 infront of 2 holding midfielders in some games so IMO he will be most of the time starter.

Young/Hernandez/Fellaini hould be sold on that notice.
OK, if we sell some players it does make sense, I just don't think we will sell Young and he did deserve to be here to be fair.

Youth will get the chance when they are better than the first team players. If Januzaj or Lingard are better than Young or Mata they will play ahead of them. I don't have much expectations for Lingard though, at 23 with no PL experience I think it's too late for him to make it here. Januzaj has time in his favour but he'll probably prefer a central role and he was really poor last season to be honest. Pereira is the one I think has the best chance of making it but he has 1-2 years before he's ready anyway.

It's a squad game, you cannot rely on a few player to carry you. Young is probably not good enough to be a regular here anyway and should be a squad player, Depay is still very early into his United career and will take a while to settle.

As for Mata I'd rotate him between wing and tip of midfield depending on the game. Just don't expect him to perform like a winger would, he could wide playmaker.

I don't think we will make top 4 if we don't strengthen our attack options. We have very little to offer up front really and we're in for another season of dull football with lots of slow passing and possession that ends up with no threat. Depay is probably our most exciting player and that's saying a lot.
You know that to prove that they are better they have to play and even if one, two games they don't do well, they should get the chance third time. I think that if we bring someone else and don't sell anyone the will not get enough chances as non of the players in front of them will be horrible, or it's really not likely.

I am also not sure about Lingard, but that's why I am saying that all of them should be back up.

I do agree about the attack, but as I said I think we need a better striker, plus if we bring in a winger, we should sell someone to free space for youth players.

Having Depay as the most exciting player doesn't have to be a bad thing, he looks really good, he just should be played on the left as it is his primary position.

Irrational.

We don't need to replace Di Maria as we have plenty of players that can play out wide. We can use the money to strengthen other positions, or buy a different type of player who will give us something different.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If we bought De Bruyne with Di Maria's money and played Memphis and Young out wide, it would be perfect but it makes too much sense for it to happen. Would be perfect really if going forward we keep playing a 4-2-3-1.

MarkC

Pedro is and will be his replacement it's pretty much nailed on now.

Those saying we don't need a replacement I don't understand, we have Mata who isn't actually a winger at all though does perform quite well there but who do we have as proven back up or if Mata gets injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.