g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Did Liverpool have a good season? [Poll added]

Did Liverpool have a good season?

• Total voters

A-man

They still lost. There is no trophy for making the final of the CL. They won precisely nothing last season.
That is true, yet only Chelsea has performed better the last decade. I believe most fans would trade any cup title for a CL final. FA cup title or playing CL final? I would chose CL any day if the week. It is not even comparable. When one summarises for example United’s fine years, most people include all the lost CL finals, as it is something to be proud of.

maniwin

Yet I'd swap their season for ours. We ended the season with exactly the same to show for it but which set of fans do you think enjoyed it more and which set are most looking forward to next season?
They are one man team , take Salah out of them and they stop playing their heavy metal football.

Tom Foster

Of course they had a good season. They’ve put themselves on the springboard position again, which they haven’t done since the SlippyG year.
We have to hope they cock-up again which they usually do. Only time will tell.
This is where City are gonna come in useful. The next 2 championships will be won by either City or Liverpool. We won’t be anywhere near. So we have to rebuild in the next 2 years while City do our dirty work.

shuggie

Supports
Manchester City
That is true, yet only Chelsea has performed better the last decade. I believe most fans would trade any cup title for a CL final. FA cup title or playing CL final? I would chose CL any day if the week. It is not even comparable. When one summarises for example United’s fine years, most people include all the lost CL finals, as it is something to be proud of.
I don't understand this loser mentality. Losing in a final is a bummer. The worst. I'd take a domestic pot over that every time. Nobody remembers the loser.

Schneckerl

I don't understand this loser mentality. Losing in a final is a bummer. The worst. I'd take a domestic pot over that every time. Nobody remembers the loser.
Nobody remembers who won the domestic pot and everybody remembers CL finalists.

Treble

The did have a good season. They had a better season than any other English team bar City. They did not have a great season though.

GazTheLegend

Don’t agree at all.

I and I’m sure many others regard the lost CL finals with a lot of pain. The only reason they are regarded as good seasons is because we either won the leagues those years or previously. I don’t have fond memories of losing finals, particularly those two Barcelona games, as we were so hugely outplayed it was disappointing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Don’t agree at all.

I and I’m sure many others regard the lost CL finals with a lot of pain. The only reason they are regarded as good seasons is because we either won the leagues those years or previously. I don’t have fond memories of losing finals, particularly those two Barcelona games, as we were so hugely outplayed it was disappointing.
Yeah, the 2011 final was barely even a contest. I remember 2 things from that game, Barca completely outplaying us from the first to last minute and Rooney scoring a cracker to level it up.
The only thing I remember from the 2009 final was Darren Fletcher being excluded due to receiving a red card in the semi-final against Arsenal. That was his best season in a United shirt if memory serves (it often doesn't!) and I'm sure we would have performed a great deal better with him in our midfield.

Can't even remember who scored for Barca :lol:

GazTheLegend

Yeah, the 2011 final was barely even a contest. I remember 2 things from that game, Barca completely outplaying us from the first to last minute and Rooney scoring a cracker to level it up.
The only thing I remember from the 2009 final was Darren Fletcher being excluded due to receiving a red card in the semi-final against Arsenal. That was his best season in a United shirt if memory serves (it often doesn't!) and I'm sure we would have performed a great deal better with him in our midfield.

Can't even remember who scored for Barca :lol:
Messi scored a header (only one I can ever remember him scoring ever)and Eto’o I think finished the game, then they passed the ball around for the rest of the match.

Ronaldo had about 5 shots on goal in the first 10 minutes though.

The 2011 final Barcelona were unreal to be fair to them. They had beaten a brilliant Real Madrid side 5-0 that year and I remember watching that game in absolute awe, they played perfect football, so the truth is that we didn’t actually underperform in that final the score was about right.

Still 99% sure they were on PED’s but can’t deny that the football they played was a level above anything seen in history.

MUFC OK

They had the best season of any English team. Best Manager in the league, best attack in the league, most entertaining English team.

6 times la
Best fans, best passion and of course the best player of all time, Mo Salah.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Messi scored a header (only one I can ever remember him scoring ever)and Eto’o I think finished the game, then they passed the ball around for the rest of the match.

Ronaldo had about 5 shots on goal in the first 10 minutes though.

The 2011 final Barcelona were unreal to be fair to them. They had beaten a brilliant Real Madrid side 5-0 that year and I remember watching that game in absolute awe, they played perfect football, so the truth is that we didn’t actually underperform in that final the score was about right.

Still 99% sure they were on PED’s but can’t deny that the football they played was a level above anything seen in history.
Best football team I've ever seen personally. Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets were so dominant in midfield during that period that you could be forgiven for believing they were doped to the eyeballs.

MUFC OK

If you were offered 4th and a champs league final defeat next season, would you take it?

It was not a bad season by any means but for a club with Liverpool's rich history of sucesss its nothing special.
No, we want to win the league. However, we will probably be third favourites to do so. If the offer was 4th and a CL final (gamble on the outcome, I'd be tempted to take that).

Suedesi

Of course they did have a successful season - you can't reduce success to winning something. No sane person would take Liverpool’s 2011-2012 season over 2017-18 for example.

A-man

It’s not really a loser who is second in the most prestigious club cup. Nobody cares about winners of Dutch, English, Spanish,etc cups, it’s the CL that counts and then domestic league. Why do you think there is such focus to reach top 4 in the PL? To be part of CL. That gives the fans something to look forward to.

A-man

Don’t agree at all.

That is, maybe- my speculation, because you were spoiled with good results at that time. United was considered a top club in the world at the time. Just like Liverpool once were. Now the kids in other countries than England haven’t even heard of United nor Liverpool. By getting that CL final, Liverpool are somewhat back to the top and kids around the world recognise that name again.

GazTheLegend

That is, maybe- my speculation, because you were spoiled with good results at that time. United was considered a top club in the world at the time. Just like Liverpool once were. Now the kids in other countries than England haven’t even heard of United nor Liverpool. By getting that CL final, Liverpool are somewhat back to the top and kids around the world recognise that name again.
Don’t really agree.

Plenty of Liverpool fans told me after our shit season with Moyes that players would be picking them over us because of the champions league football thing.

They then went out, sold Suarez and signed Ricky Lambert while we signed Falcao and Di Maria.

The name of the club is a distant second to the money, unfortunately.

Kapardin

Overreaction much? I don't think the kids forgot our name in just 4 years. And just because Liverpool made the CL final doesn't mean they are back to the top. By that logic, Dortmund made the final under Klopp, Monaco and Roma have made it to the semis, so they should be quite attractive too.

Liverpool will have some attraction on account of being a big club, but at the moment, they have a lesser pull than us or even Chelsea (barring this season when they are not in the CL maybe).

A-man

Don’t really agree.

Plenty of Liverpool fans told me after our shit season with Moyes that players would be picking them over us because of the champions league football thing.

They then went out, sold Suarez and signed Ricky Lambert while we signed Falcao and Di Maria.

The name of the club is a distant second to the money, unfortunately.
My own personal feelings around results are that I enjoy a trophy for some days then I look forward to the next season. Signing big names like Falcao and diMaria means hope for next season. Selling Suarez means the opposite.

A-man

Overreaction much? I don't think the kids forgot our name in just 4 years. And just because Liverpool made the CL final doesn't mean they are back to the top. By that logic, Dortmund made the final under Klopp, Monaco and Roma have made it to the semis, so they should be quite attractive too.

Liverpool will have some attraction on account of being a big club, but at the moment, they have a lesser pull than us or even Chelsea (barring this season when they are not in the CL maybe).
No attractive players, no CL trophy in years, and no good CL results at all the last years, why would an 8-year old in Norway or Poland know about United? Seriously? It is of course sad, but it is a fact that United is no longer one of the big teams. Big club- yes, but as a team top 30 in Europe maybe and not top5.

Inter Yer Nan

I think they did. They came 4th again securing CL qualification on the last day again but I think the top teams were probably stronger and more consistent this season. Remember last season they appeared to burn out and with no Europe? This season they had a great run in Europe and were probably slightly better in the League. Obviously a CL run to the final is a great achievement given that some great sides were in that tournament.

Great season? No. Good season? Absolutely.

I think they have to win something next season or at least come higher in the league to consider it a good season again though. Can't use spend as an excuse or the fact Klopp is relatively new to the club. They have to really prove themselves next season. Unfortunately next season is their year too.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Another overly defensive cry baby who harps on about United when you don't like the tone of the thread. (Which is about Liverpool not United).

Get a grip.
Actually that is not the case TR. I dont harp on about United at all and never adopt the level of remark that drips from your previous posts. Ideally it would be nice to debate football with rival supporters, the idea is genius but all too often it descends due to sarcastic, snide remarks. Why is that? Look at posts in this and other threads and see where its all coming from. Your posts are classical example of that, yet when I offer you an insight into what it would be like if I responded in kind - you squeal ‘defensive cry baby’. Talking about double standards.
Surely the point of forums are to debate or are they to be a cat walk for keyboard cowards?

Al-T

Sticks in the throat but yes.

Ultimately one that demonstrated why to be a top team you need a quality goalkeeper.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Yes, Klopp has had a good season by Liverpool standards but one that would have seen him sacked as Real manager, which is presumably why he’d rather stay at Liverpool.

Harold_Giles

Liverpool is considered a top club, so it's a no from me.

4th place with no trophies to show for is simply not good enough.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool is considered a top club, so it's a no from me.

4th place with no trophies to show for is simply not good enough.
Liverpool is considered a top Club but that is entirely down to its History of being successful on the trophy front. There are other aspects to that status for sure but it started by winning things. That hasn’t happened for quite a few years so regardless of what other Liverpool teams have done in the past and not done in the more recent past, this season was one of great progress. Top 4 finish for second year in a row and reaching a CL final had not been achieved here in over 10 years! So for this team, this Club right now the past season has been a good season.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Some level headed comments here .

It's nice to too see.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Liverpool is considered a top Club but that is entirely down to its History of being successful on the trophy front. There are other aspects to that status for sure but it started by winning things. That hasn’t happened for quite a few years so regardless of what other Liverpool teams have done in the past and not done in the more recent past, this season was one of great progress. Top 4 finish for second year in a row and reaching a CL final had not been achieved here in over 10 years! So for this team, this Club right now the past season has been a good season.
I can see why you'd be optimistic but your style at the moment favours a cup run and a bit of luck. Changes could solidify you more but Klopp would probably need to change his approach slightly too to get some real consistency, and that could see everything go to pot.
At the moment, it just looks like it could be Liverpool's bi-decade push for something just happened, with its usual negative knock on effect on whatever else you're in. Next season will be interesting though. If you can have a similar season but improve in the PL, it might look like you're really building something better. Then again, Salah could leave and everything go wrong.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
The Kyvian / Liverpool Supporters Club is now up and running.

Potato is the national dish.

TehRed

By their standards, yes.
This is basically it. By their standards, they reached the Champions League final, blew away a lot of teams playing some amazing football, had a player in Salah having a world class season, and finished in the top four. So yeah, by their standards, it was a good season.

We finished higher in the league than they did, and also won just as many trophies as they did - zero. That right there is the difference between the clubs, because by our standards, it wasn't a fantastic season, but not a disaster either. Second best might be good enough for Liverpool to release a DVD about, but it's nothing to crow about over here. We are not satisfied.

RuudRuud

Supports
Ajax
Just seeing your team play in the Champions League final would make you feel incredibly proud, doesn't matter if you play in a United or Liverpool shirt.
Sad for them they lost though, but they got one hell of a run going, beating Roma, City and Port/Hoffenheim, who were both hard to beat.
Liverpool played really good football throughout the season and scored an incredible amount of goals in the Champions League.

Even though I like United more than liverpool, I would say Liverpool had a better season even if they didn't get the trophy.
I hope for United fans that Mourinho will get his 'Mourinho' team going and end up playing in the Final next year, honestly that legendary shirt deserves to be in the final every few years.

shuggie

Supports
Manchester City
It’s not really a loser who is second in the most prestigious club cup. Nobody cares about winners of Dutch, English, Spanish,etc cups, it’s the CL that counts and then domestic league. Why do you think there is such focus to reach top 4 in the PL? To be part of CL. That gives the fans something to look forward to.
Focus on top 4 is about money not achievement

shuggie

Supports
Manchester City
This is basically it. By their standards, they reached the Champions League final, blew away a lot of teams playing some amazing football, had a player in Salah having a world class season, and finished in the top four. So yeah, by their standards, it was a good season.

We finished higher in the league than they did, and also won just as many trophies as they did - zero. That right there is the difference between the clubs, because by our standards, it wasn't a fantastic season, but not a disaster either. Second best might be good enough for Liverpool to release a DVD about, but it's nothing to crow about over here. We are not satisfied.
This is correct. Neither Liverpool or Utd should consider no pots as success. These are 2 of the most successful clubs in history so to claim coming 2nd as success is embarrassing.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
A few questions

Age -
Locality -
Biase towards Liverpool -

Ta .

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
I can see why you'd be optimistic but your style at the moment favours a cup run and a bit of luck. Changes could solidify you more but Klopp would probably need to change his approach slightly too to get some real consistency, and that could see everything go to pot.
At the moment, it just looks like it could be Liverpool's bi-decade push for something just happened, with its usual negative knock on effect on whatever else you're in. Next season will be interesting though. If you can have a similar season but improve in the PL, it might look like you're really building something better. Then again, Salah could leave and everything go wrong.
I think that if we are to progress, change is imperative. Just look at our midfield and bench in the CL final and it will scream change at you. Our suitability to cup competition is due to our lack of quality in areas of the team imo. For all our good players, we have as many average players - hence inconsistancy.
I dont see a change in tactics and quite frankly I really dont want to. Better players, particularly in midfield with the arrival of Keita, Fabinho and a ‘Fekir type’ player would bring better fluidity to our style. Players than can, effectively play both ends as a 6 & 8/10.
Next season will be interesting and keeping a team together is integral to any progress but I am optimistic that we can challenge next year though may need another window to complete the team.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
No they didn't. It was meh. People can pretend all they want.
If it was Real Madrid who had finished 4th in La Liga and lost the CL final it would have been a poor season for them. What that highlights is that a season’s outcome can only be judged relative to what a particular Club has done in the recent past. Hence, a team such as Madrid would have under achieved with such an outcome on the back of being Champions League winners of the previous 2 seasons, a La Liga title and a 2nd place finish.
The reality for Liverpool is something completely different. Previous 2 seasons saw them finish runner up in both Europa and League Cup finals and an 8th and 4th place Premier League finish.
This was the first time we were in CL knockout stages in 9 years. So to get to the Champions League Final, albeit to lose it, is still viewed as progress imo., while retaining a position in top 4.
I think, for the Liverpool of today, that was a good season.

Robbie Boy

If it was Real Madrid who had finished 4th in La Liga and lost the CL final it would have been a poor season for them. What that highlights is that a season’s outcome can only be judged relative to what a particular Club has done in the recent past. Hence, a team such as Madrid would have under achieved with such an outcome on the back of being Champions League winners of the previous 2 seasons, a La Liga title and a 2nd place finish.
The reality for Liverpool is something completely different. Previous 2 seasons saw them finish runner up in both Europa and League Cup finals and an 8th and 4th place Premier League finish.
This was the first time we were in CL knockout stages in 9 years. So to get to the Champions League Final, albeit to lose it, is still viewed as progress imo., while retaining a position in top 4.
I think, for the Liverpool of today, that was a good season.
Good in what context though? I mean good as in they done ok and made some sort of progression? Fair enough. But feck me, there is some serious overrating of what was ultimately an 'ok' season.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Good in what context though? I mean good as in they done ok and made some sort of progression? Fair enough. But feck me, there is some serious overrating of what was ultimately an 'ok' season.
It might have just been judged as an okay season for a number of Clubs but the context as I pointed out is: what is relative to other Clubs. And in that context, for a Club like Liverpool, while reflecting on what we have done for the past 10 years, last season was good. I would hope that we get to a stage where I can say that it was ‘barely tolerable’ but that would necessitate actually winning trophies in advance. We’re not there yet and that is the reality of our situation.

Robbie Boy

It might have just been judged as an okay season for a number of Clubs but the context as I pointed out is: what is relative to other Clubs. And in that context, for a Club like Liverpool, while reflecting on what we have done for the past 10 years, last season was good. I would hope that we get to a stage where I can say that it was ‘barely tolerable’ but that would necessitate actually winning trophies in advance. We’re not there yet and that is the reality of our situation.
It's still all about context, though. I would have had no problem calling it a 'good' season had people not completely and utterly overrated it beyond belief.