Did Nwankwo Kanu fulfil his potential?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Not often you watch a game were Fenomeno is involved and someone else looks class above everyone on the pitch and its not Fenomeno didnt play really good, its just that Kanu was running the show. Both were 19 at the time, Fenomeno went to become one of the 3 best strikers of all time while Kanu will sadly be forgotten with time as many great players do. Sad because talent wise he really was a gift from the Gods. He still had a good career but watching him from his Ajax days you have a feeling he could have went to achieve much bigger things, certainly one of the most enjoyable players i watched.
Im not that familiar with his story, what was the problem? Injuries or something else? There was a heart problem at Inter but afterwards he played a good amount of games for Arsenal so surely that was behind him?

Oranges038

He did and he did alright.

Ajax

Eredivisie: 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96[96]
UEFA Champions League: 1994–95;[96] runner-up: 1995–96[14]
UEFA Super Cup: 1995[96]
Intercontinental Cup: 1995[96]
Inter Milan

UEFA Cup: 1997–98[96]
Arsenal

Premier League: 2001–02, 2003–04[3]
FA Cup: 2001–02,[97] 2002–03;[98] runner-up: 2000–01[99]
FA Charity Shield: 1999[100]
UEFA Cup runner-up: 1999–2000[101]
Portsmouth

FA Cup: 2007–08[102]
Nigeria U17

FIFA U-17 World Cup: 1993[96]
Nigeria U23

Olympic Gold Medal: 1996[96]
Nigeria

Afro-Asian Cup of Nations: 1995[103]
African Cup of Nations runner-up: 2000[104]

The Original

But he did make it at the top level. He's one of the most decorated African players of all time and won everything there was to win other than the world cup.

He visibly lost some athleticism after the surgery but I'd say he had a great career.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He played for arsenal for about 10 years didn’t he?

Šjor Bepo

I said he had a good career but there is a feeling he could have done more....also, for most of his career(Ajax/Arsenal(as they are only relevant for this)) he wasnt a starter and a player of his talent should have been, thats the point im trying to make.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Kanu was great, not sure what you mean

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Positionally awkward, maybe also from the ‘wrong nation’, but he had a very good career. Champions League winner.

Šjor Bepo

Kanu was great, not sure what you mean
Agreed, thats the reason i ask the question because he was great! IMO his talent deserved to be a key player in a team that challanges Champions League regularly and not to be a rotation option at Ajax/Arsenal.

Baxquux

More of a no.10 and playing for Arsenal at the same time as Bergkamp might be one clue. I'd still say that the Dutch titles, two PL titles for Arsenal against a prime SAF United side and various Cup wins constitutes a pretty well spent career...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought he had an excellent career. Even scored the winner for Portsmouth in the FA Cup final

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Ronaldo is one of the greatest players of all time and Kanu lived up to his early promise as well tbf. He was a monster of a player at the top level.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
He was in the Johan Cruijff Arena yesterday for the match against Heracles. He looked like a pimp straight out of Brooklyn. Bless him .

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
He did and he did alright.

Ajax

Eredivisie: 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96[96]
UEFA Champions League: 1994–95;[96] runner-up: 1995–96[14]
UEFA Super Cup: 1995[96]
Intercontinental Cup: 1995[96]
Inter Milan

UEFA Cup: 1997–98[96]
Arsenal

Premier League: 2001–02, 2003–04[3]
FA Cup: 2001–02,[97] 2002–03;[98] runner-up: 2000–01[99]
FA Charity Shield: 1999[100]
UEFA Cup runner-up: 1999–2000[101]
Portsmouth

FA Cup: 2007–08[102]
Nigeria U17

FIFA U-17 World Cup: 1993[96]
Nigeria U23

Olympic Gold Medal: 1996[96]
Nigeria

Afro-Asian Cup of Nations: 1995[103]
African Cup of Nations runner-up: 2000[104]
Yep. Close thread.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Was overrated and couldn't hack it in the colder climate, struggled on and off the pitch, barely winning anything, bog standard farmer's league player, was buried in an unmarked grave.

Fans seemed to love him wherever he went, Arsenal lot still rave about him. He was a big success as a player and in terms of trophies. At the top level.

We need an rvn

Maybe change the title to did Kanu fulfil his potential, but given that there are many great players who have won feck all (eg shearer) I think given what he’s won he has more than fulfilled his potential

Ajax

Inter Milan

Arsenal

Portsmouth

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Was quite a lot of discrepancies about his true age wasn’t there? His career trajectory sort of fits the narrative that he was possibly a few years older than officially claimed.

acolyte

Not often you watch a game were Fenomeno is involved and someone else looks class above everyone on the pitch and its not Fenomeno didnt play really good, its just that Kanu was running the show. Both were 19 at the time, Fenomeno went to become one of the 3 best strikers of all time while Kanu will sadly be forgotten with time as many great players do. Sad because talent wise he really was a gift from the Gods. He still had a good career but watching him from his Ajax days you have a feeling he could have went to achieve much bigger things, certainly one of the most enjoyable players i watched.
Im not that familiar with his story, what was the problem? Injuries or something else? There was a heart problem at Inter but afterwards he played a good amount of games for Arsenal so surely that was behind him?
A few possibilities:

1) Maybe the one game (or few games) from early in their careers was the outlier and not the norm. Variability exists, and a good player can be in outstanding form and even outshine better players for a short while but will eventually return to his natural level.

2) Other factors like motivation, professionalism, fit with club and coaches, or physical fitness played a role in how the players respectively developed.

3) His very best was perhaps not quite as good as Ronald's very best. No shame in that. Kane, van Nistelrooy, Lewandowski haven't had as good careers as Ronaldo Nazario either but you wouldn't say they didn't make it at the top.

For what it's worth he absolutely did make it at the top level, just not everyone can have the same career as probably the greatest pure striker of all time.

Šjor Bepo

Maybe change the title to did Kanu fulfil his potential, but given that there are many great players who have won feck all (eg shearer) I think given what he’s won he has more than fulfilled his potential

Ajax

Inter Milan

Arsenal

Portsmouth

Changed the name thread, what i originally meant is that with his talent he could/should have been a key player for a truly elite team that is competing for the Champions Leagues more often then not. People here keep posting his trophies and ignoring i acknowledged he had a good career but for me he could have been much better then a rotation option for Ajax and Arsenal. So all this trophies he won, for the biggest one he didnt play a major role. Was a backup for Ajax team that won the Champions League, didnt play much when Arsenal won the Premier League.
For the record, i adore the guy, think he is one of the most enjoyable players i ever watched so the intent with the thread wasnt to criticize the player.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
A few possibilities:

1) Maybe the one game (or few games) from early in their careers was the outlier and not the norm. Variability exists, and a good player can be in outstanding form and even outshine better players for a short while but will eventually return to his natural level.

2) Other factors like motivation, professionalism, fit with club and coaches, or physical fitness played a role in how the players respectively developed.

3) His very best was perhaps not quite as good as Ronald's very best. No shame in that. Kane and Lewandowski haven't had as good careers as Ronaldo Nazario either but you wouldn't say they didn't make it at the top.

For what it's worth he absolutely did make it at the top level, just not everyone can have the same career as probably the greatest pure striker of all time.
I reckon looking at what he has won, he won more than 99% of professional players will ever achieve. Hell, by only winning the CL with Ajax he has won more than 95% of professional football players aspire to win.

Camilo

I thought he fulfilled exactly the amount of potential he had. Decent player, did decent.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Not many players get the career he had or the trophy collection.

All while having a heart defect.

I'd say he delivered on his potential.

Šjor Bepo

A few possibilities:

3) His very best was perhaps not quite as good as Ronald's very best. No shame in that. Kane, van Nistelrooy, Lewandowski haven't had as good careers as Ronaldo Nazario either but you wouldn't say they didn't make it at the top.

Most Ajax games you turn up where he features, he looks impressive tbf and shitloads of managers are full of praise for him so the talent is there, its not a one of.
Second point is what i was hoping to find out if anyone followed him closer at the time.
And lastly, of course he isnt on Ronaldo level nor it was my intention to compare it with him career wise.

JSArsenal

I think looking at Kanu's trophy cabinet, isn't really what the thread is about.

A player can win loads being a part player in a top team. The real question is was Kanu the best Kanu he could have been?

As silly as it sounds, I wonder if Rooney could have been even better than he was in terms of being a goalscorer if he wasn't such a team player. I'm also not sure if his fitness issues were purely due to his body type or whether he didn't take his diet and training as seriously as Ronaldo did. So, how good would Rooney have been if he was the main man at United and was able to stay in peak physical condition longer? Is how I'm looking at this Kanu question.

As far as Kanu goes, I'm not sure, he never got the chance to be the main man. Did he not get that chance because he wasn't good enough or because he was behind generational talents during his prime?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Was quite a lot of discrepancies about his true age wasn’t there? His career trajectory sort of fits the narrative that he was possibly a few years older than officially claimed.

How was his career trajectory different from R9, Rooney, Ronaldinho Kluivert etc?

Trex

Kanu is arguably Nigeria's greatest ever player. This thread boils my piss. Two times African player of the year. That is as many as Salah and one behind George Weah. He's an icon over here!!

Trex

How was his career trajectory different from R9, Rooney, Ronaldinho Kluivert etc?
People like to talk shit. Because he's African he must be an age cheat. Soon we'll hear Onana is in his 40s.

BerryBerryShrew

I remember him as being an incredible technician, but he was really slow. A bit of a Le Tissier really. Let's hope he hasn't become as much of a twonk after his retirement as Matt has.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Kanu is arguably Nigeria's greatest ever player. This thread boils my piss. Two times African player of the year. That is as many as Salah and one behind George Weah. He's an icon over here!!
I think people are so eager to take offence they don’t even try and engage with the subject matter or question being posed. You can be both a nation’s greatest player and still not have filled all your potential.

If Kanu had been touted as a player who could challenge for an all-time top 10 place, but falls short of that, by say, 15 places (subjectively tiered lower), he is still, without question an amazing player who has had a career the envy of others, but relative to those he was potentially peered to, he still fell short.

Geroge Best is Northern Ireland’s best player of all-time by an absolute mile, yet he could’ve been more, by some distance, if he wasn’t dragged into the mire of alcoholism and off-field antics that consumed him.

You can be amazing at something, yet destined for more than your eventual lot, the argument then becomes how much of the aforementioned potential you fulfilled, hence the thread, which is valid and should be discussed rather than scoffed at.

Last edited:

E-mal

What a technician he was. I think he was at his pick when pace and physicality started to become the norm in top flight football. He didn't really fit into Wenger's team but was still good when called upon.

tomaldinho1

Still remember his miss against Boro, unbelievable.

Maybe Berbatov would be a similar player. Silky, good finisher, had some tricks and turns but lacked any real pace. Had a good career.

STYLOISRED

Not every player who was a beast at youth level goes on to win Ballon'dors. Kanu was a an incredible technician and never let his slight frame or lack of high speed stop him from putting a shift in when he was on the pitch. As a Nigerian, He is the greatest footballer come out of our country and I would say looking at his achievements and the level he played at for the amount of time he did, I would say he did live up to his potential.

RoyH1

I think looking at Kanu's trophy cabinet, isn't really what the thread is about.

A player can win loads being a part player in a top team.
The real question is was Kanu the best Kanu he could have been?

As silly as it sounds, I wonder if Rooney could have been even better than he was in terms of being a goalscorer if he wasn't such a team player. I'm also not sure if his fitness issues were purely due to his body type or whether he didn't take his diet and training as seriously as Ronaldo did. So, how good would Rooney have been if he was the main man at United and was able to stay in peak physical condition longer? Is how I'm looking at this Kanu question.

As far as Kanu goes, I'm not sure, he never got the chance to be the main man. Did he not get that chance because he wasn't good enough or because he was behind generational talents during his prime?
Agree. So many times I feel people tend to forget that football is the ultimate fluid teamsport and you simply cannot dominate individually in the same way you can in some other sports (for example a quarterback in American Football, a bowler/pitcher in cricket/baseball or even basketball where there cannot be more than 5 on the court at any given time.
Lots of meh players have won lots of trophies by being in the right team/club at the right time.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Like a lot of Nigerian players of that era, there are question marks about his age.
Even at that, think he had a great career. Don’t know any other Nigerian player that has been as successful as he was.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He seemed like a Berbatov level player throughout this career. Good but not great by any means.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Also people forget he played his entire career with a heart condition.