Did we waste €200 million this summer?

Captmfla

It's a good window because you get Hojlund, great striker with high potential and Onana, one of the best keepers around.

I’m watching Kudus destroy Brentford at the moment, and thinking how he was nearly half the price of Mount. Comfortably a better player, and a better player than Bruno too for my money.
In the end, Brentford destroyed Kudus actually (based on the verb you used)

lex talionis

There is the argument that Levy would never, ever have sold Kane to another PL club, which I have no evidence to refute.

But IF 120m would have pried Harry loose from Daniel, that money would have been vastly better spent than the 200m Antony, Mount and Onana over the last two summers.

MetoTTT

Hojlund is a excellent buy (maybe we've overpaid) but he could be a complete elite striker imo, Onana will do the job (replace aging Dave on massive wages was needed)...just can't get the Mount deal.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
One is responsible for us being out from CL, second is yet to score a goal in PL, third is injured since we signed him (and with questionable role in team) and fourth is downgrade to Fred.

I don't know what future brings but at this moment this window looks as complete debacle.

JohnnyKills

One is responsible for us being out from CL, second is yet to score a goal in PL, third is injured since we signed him (and with questionable role in team) and fourth is downgrade to Fred.

I don't know what future brings but at this moment this window looks as complete debacle.
It's still early to judge all three of them.

Personally, I can see the logic in Onana. If he cuts out these clangers, he may end up being an upgrade on De Gea. We couldn't go on with a keeper who couldn't pass (or leave his goal-line).

Hjolund has got five in the CL and looks like he has all the tools. No worries about him at all.

Can see Mount being a solid squad player or a hard-working 8 if/when we get good again.

It's last year's signings that are going to screw us. Anthony was decent tonight but has been woeful over all, and Casemiro was just too old.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It was pretty obvious from the start of the window that it was going to be another directionless disaster.

PoTMS

This idiot should think about joining the Tory government. He'd be excellent at pissing away money especially to his buddies.

OverratedOpinion

Idk

If possible with 200m I would have preferred us to sign a top class central midfielder and a really reliable quality striker.

Have no idea if they were available and wanted to come here so it is hard to say. Mount is a good player, Hojlund is a talent and Onana could turn it around.

A lot of ifs as Mount doesn't really have a space in the starting 11, Hojlund needs to come good and Onana needs to cut out the mistakes.

Basically I have not answered the question.

Kopral Jono

And it could have been one Harry Kane. I will never, ever get tired of saying this.

Bwuk

If we’d kept De Gea and only signed Hojlund & Regulion on loan, we’d be better off this season.

Woziak

This window looks like it will get the manager the sack !

AFC NimbleThumb

Instead of signing Kane, Utd pissed away £129m on the magnificent duo Antony and Onana

Fecking marvellous :rolleyes:
Because Kane can collect the ball off the goalkeeper, spray it to himself on the wing then get on the end of his own cross. . .

The fact people can rightly recognise we spunked away money on Antony but still act like Kane would cure the many ailments of this team astounds me.

Would we be better with Kane? Of course.

Would Kane cover up for some issues? Of course.

Are we a team in the right moment to sign a 30 y/o striker when we are years away from competency? No.

The squad needs a tear down & fans need to stop looking for a white knight to come in to save us.

NoPace

It does feel like we've have been better off doing what we did with Hojlund and just picking 2 more 20 year olds we rated at positions of actual need (a physical #8 and a CB) and grabbing a keeper on a loan or free like Nubel from Bayern.

Or even guys in their mid-20s but who fill holes in the outfield positions probably woulda worked better. Plug in I guess Matheus Nunes or Edson Alvarez in midfield and say Pau Torres, to pick some realistic names, and we're better off:

We'd be better off with this squad:

Hojlund/Martial
Antony/Diallo
Rashford/Garnacho
Bruno/Eriksen/Hannibal
Nunes/McTominay
Casemiro/Mainoo
Shaw/Reguilon (Malacia)
Dalot/AWB
Maguire/Varane
Lisandro/Pau Torres/Lindelof
Loan Keeper/Bayindir

I don't think we'd be a ton better, but we'd be in a better situation going forward, just needing to replace Martial, Varane and Casemiro and find a keeper, instead of needing 2 midfielders, replacements for Varane and Martial.

Basically it was weird we bought Mount without selling Bruno for 80M and using that money elsewhere. There's no real evidence that Mount and Bruno could play together based on either's career, and we have other needs. If we were moving to 3 at the back than buying Mount would have made more sense, but we aren't, so it didn't.

Lee565

Yes we did,

When you see the money we have spent on a midfielder, gk and striker, we had the money to vastly improve each position and screwed them all up.

With 75 million We should have given the money to roma for tony Abraham, he is not elite but he is 15-20 goal striker and has impressive stats for pressing from the front and can hold the ball up far better than what we have seen from hojlund and his iffy first touch.

For 45 million we should have been able to buy a goalkeeper good with his feet and at the very least competent at the basics of goalkeeping but somehow we messed this right up.

Paying 55 million for mount was a real waste and that type of money should have easily got us a midfielder that would have been first choice over erkisen and mctominay.

If we had just got these 3 positions even moderately right we would be right in the title challenge which is the real kicker and definitely going through to the next round of the ucl.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes we did,

When you see the money we have spent on a midfielder, gk and striker, we had the money to vastly improve each position and screwed them all up.

With 75 million We should have given the money to roma for tony Abraham, he is not elite but he is 15-20 goal striker and has impressive stats for pressing from the front and can hold the ball up far better than what we have seen from hojlund and his iffy first touch.

For 45 million we should have been able to buy a goalkeeper good with his feet and at the very least competent at the basics of goalkeeping but somehow we messed this right up.

Paying 55 million for mount was a real waste and that type of money should have easily got us a midfielder that would have been first choice over erkisen and mctominay.

If we had just got these 3 positions even moderately right we would be right in the title challenge which is the real kicker and definitely going through to the next round of the ucl.
The same Tony Abraham that’s been out for several months with an ACL injury and isn’t due back until February 2024?

Yes he would have been a real coup.

jesperjaap

Why are people saying yes we have wasted £200m but Hojlund has been an excellent buy?

Dont get me wrong, he has all the tools to go on and become one, it is very early days....so did Diego Forlan as an obvious example.

But so far, we have spent £70m on a striker that hasnt even scored in the premiership. That isnt me knocking him, but there are plenty of talented forwards that have flopped here over the years so clling someone an excellent buy who is yet to produce is a bit crazy.

The truth is, desperation ad s hortga eof strikers of quality on the market, we overspent on him as we have most of our transfers.

Are people callign him an excellent buy as he is possibly the only purchase we made this summer that may go on to be a pivotal player here.....that alone asnwers the question for me.....of course we have wasted £200m this summer.

There are things I have liked and disliked with Ten Hag so far here. I wasnt drawn into him being "The Man" with the initial success as its happened with the previous managers too.....the one thing I really havent liked is his transfer market dealings so far. He made one good signings last year and spent a fortune.....he hasnt even done that this season, made one potential good signing.

Now I read him commenting about contact extensions.....Martial being potentially one of them....that concerns me

Mr Smith

Yes we did,

Your logic here is a bit flawed honestly. Tammy Abraham is injury prone, patchy, and far from a guarenteed 15 goals. There really aren't many better options than Hojland that were available in the market for the same money, and at tye very worst, the jury is still out on Hojland.

Onana was, on paper, a great buy at 45mil, one of the best keepers in the world last season, and Inter really did not want to sell. Few could have predicted his form being this bad. Were there better goalkeepers we could have got? Certainly, but it was hardly an unreasonable choice.

Mount is the one I really agree with you on and genuinely can't understand. We could have made Sabitzer's deal permanent for probably half the money and I'm convinced we'd have a better player. I'm at a loss to see how he's supposed to fit in to the current side (I figure he was brought in to be a hard-working free 8 alongside Bruno, but it was insane to think Casemiro could cover the ground left by both of them on his own at his age. That is definitely money that could have been better spent elsewhere.

And though it wasn't this summer's signing and I'm still holding out hope he comes good, Antony remains a baffling signing to me given the money paid.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why are people saying yes we have wasted £200m but Hojlund has been an excellent buy?

Dont get me wrong, he has all the tools to go on and become one, it is very early days....so did Diego Forlan as an obvious example.

But so far, we have spent £70m on a striker that hasnt even scored in the premiership. That isnt me knocking him, but there are plenty of talented forwards that have flopped here over the years so clling someone an excellent buy who is yet to produce is a bit crazy.

The truth is, desperation ad s hortga eof strikers of quality on the market, we overspent on him as we have most of our transfers.

Are people callign him an excellent buy as he is possibly the only purchase we made this summer that may go on to be a pivotal player here.....that alone asnwers the question for me.....of course we have wasted £200m this summer.

There are things I have liked and disliked with Ten Hag so far here. I wasnt drawn into him being "The Man" with the initial success as its happened with the previous managers too.....the one thing I really havent liked is his transfer market dealings so far. He made one good signings last year and spent a fortune.....he hasnt even done that this season, made one potential good signing.

Now I read him commenting about contact extensions.....Martial being potentially one of them....that concerns me
I don’t think you read the comments he made about contracts correctly..

Fell in to the media trap!

uwotm8

Your logic here is a bit flawed honestly. Tammy Abraham is injury prone, patchy, and far from a guarenteed 15 goals. There really aren't many better options than Hojland that were available in the market for the same money, and at tye very worst, the jury is still out on Hojland.

Onana was, on paper, a great buy at 45mil, one of the best keepers in the world last season, and Inter really did not want to sell. Few could have predicted his form being this bad. Were there better goalkeepers we could have got? Certainly, but it was hardly an unreasonable choice.

Mount is the one I really agree with you on and genuinely can't understand. We could have made Sabitzer's deal permanent for probably half the money and I'm convinced we'd have a better player. I'm at a loss to see how he's supposed to fit in to the current side (I figure he was brought in to be a hard-working free 8 alongside Bruno, but it was insane to think Casemiro could cover the ground left by both of them on his own at his age. That is definitely money that could have been better spent elsewhere.

And though it wasn't this summer's signing and I'm still holding out hope he comes good, Antony remains a baffling signing to me given the money paid.
Erik is absolutely adamant on getting the team to play a 4-1-4-1 formation. His vision for Mount is to play in that second attacking midfielder role and to pick up goals in that extra space. Like McTom is doing at the moment. Difficult to tell if this will work or if its suicidal tactics (especially against decent opposition).

Lee565

Imagine where we would be had we just raided villa for Watkins, Luiz or mcginn and martinez instead of hojlund, Mount and onana and I'm not basing it on their recent form, mcginn has been rated for years, Watkins has been promising for few years and a steady epl striker and martinez is big time character that played a big part in Argentina winning the world cup, I doubt they would have cost more than what we had to fork out for onana, Mount and hojluend

honirelandboy

Yes considering Arsenal got Rice for 100 million and cleared out deadwood. Liverpool signed Mcallister, Szobalaski and Gravenback for 120 million.
We are still playing Mctominay sums it up really. How much have we spent on our midfield VDB 40, Casemeiro 80, Mount 50 and its still as crap as ever.

De Gea was not an urgent replacement and Mount wasn't an urgent signing. Center midfield should of been sorted along with a striker.

Devil81

Malacia - Average
Martinez - Good signing
Casemiro - Good signing declining fast
Eriksen - See above
Antony - Absolutely shocking
Weghorst - hard graft but shocking player
Sabitzer - Felt he had something to offer, was surprised we didn't take him on the cheap
Mount - Not needed an absolutely confusing signing given what we need
Onana - De Gea needed replacing, not downgrading. Shit shot stopper
Hojlund - needs to improve but we've had some good displays
Amarbat- Levels below what we need, he's a lower to midtable player
Regulion - Absolute headless chicken that can't defend

That sums up my total feelings on the transfer activity of the last two seasons.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Absolute waste of the money. All 4 of them. Bloody hell, how can you manage to sign all players wrong in one transfer window?