Did Woodward get it right, then?

Infra-red

If he had sacked Mourinho in the summer there would have been uproar and we would have been listening to Jose was badly done by forever .

Instead he gave Jose enough rope to hang himself and Jose and his supporters,have no excuses now
Football fans are pretty fickle - all but the most ardent Mourinho sycophants would have got over that one pretty quickly, especially if the new guy started doing well.

Certainly, it would have been less damaging than a 'lost' season and no CL football. Hopefully Solksjaer can miraculously clean up this mess.

beedoubleyou

We are finally on the right track, but there's a fecking humongous fork in the road ahead.

Woodward was right in the summer.

Pretty much any sensible fan knew that at the time.

A manager should never get everything he wants without being challenged, especially when you're asking for another centre back having given up on the two you'd previously asked for and been given.

It's unbelievable that Mourinho needs players that can work with him rather than good players he can work with.

It seems Woodward was warned about Mourinho before, but like a lot of us, abandoned or misgivings for a return to glory.

The League Cup and Europa League weren't worth the embarrassment of Seville.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So, let's bring it all back to last Summer. Mourinho has written off the squad completely. Stating that everyone who played in the WC is knackered and the start of the season is a total write off. There are no youth prospects coming through the ranks who will feature in the first team squad this season. The 6 center backs that we have available (including the two that he bought) cannot tackle a paper bag. World Cup winner, Paul Pogba, is nothing special. Martial doesn't want to be here. Rashford can't hit a barn door with a banjo...Oh, and Sanchez has fallen off the face of the earth? He's locked in some sort of passport/visa/calf injury/thingummy/bullshit.

The Shopping list

Jose wants to sell 22 year old Martial to Chelsea and do a swap+cash deal with 30 year old Willian. He also wants to sign Harry Maguire for £75m. And 29 year old Ivan Perisic for £50m. Bearing in mind that we already have 3 left sided wingers at the club! He also wants 29 year old Toby Alderweireld for £35m, even though he only had a year left on his contract. He has since extended for 1 year with a release clause of £25m.

Knowing what we now know, did Woodward really help us dodge a rather expensive bullet, last summer? Has his faith in this squad of players and the academy, really shown Mourinho up as a crackpot who was hellbent on filling our squad with short-term fixes who would be finished in 2 years. Not that he would be around then anyway!
Ignoring the fact that your assessment of things includes a lot of creative licence in order to strengthen your point, Woodward was ultimately right.

Josh 76

You can thank Neville for that. His rant before New Castle match saved Mourinho.
I don't think his rant saved Mourhino, it was more Sanchez last min goal. But I do believe Gary Neville fecked up big time with his outburst. He was the only ex Utd player who backed Mourhino, while others such as Rio and Scholes, kept quiet. (More to do with the respect for Utd). But Neville took it to another level. He must feel like a real prick right now.

sugar_kane

He got it right on the transfers in the summer (out and in) but fecked up massively by not sacking Mourinho at the same time.

A disgruntled Mourinho is pure poison for any club and it ruined our season. The only way I can make sense of it is that Ole was in mind all along as wasn't available until the end of the Norwegian season (have heard fairly reliable rumours he was in talks before Mourinho's sacking)

UpWithRivers

Ignoring the fact that your assessment of things includes a lot of creative licence in order to strengthen your point, Woodward was ultimately right.
Creative licience was what i was about to write. We dont know the ins and outs of the club. Just paper talk. Woodward probably tried to get Maguire, Toby etc but the negotiations fell through. We definitely made bids for Perisic as well and it fell through. Probably a load of other players. He believed in Mourinho hence new contract. I am not saying he was right or wrong just you cant attribute all good moves or even bad ones to woodward in hindsight. There is a lot more to it and alot of people to share the blame. If he is not a football man then why didnt the football men step in. Even Ferguson got it wrong with Moyes

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Woodward got it right, he removed the source of negativity, protected our most promising players, didn't feck up the books just to accommodate more defenders when we have around 8-9 already, managed to swap Mkhi for Sanchez (despite Mhki being a requested by Jose). Woodward has done what is best for the club, both from a commercial point of view and from a squad perspective. I can't recall anytime that Woodward had issues with getting players for the 3 feckers who managed us prior to Ole. In Jose's case, Imagine us losing Pogba, Martial and supposedly Rashford (to Real) just because Mourinho thinks he is entitled to buy and sell whenever he wants to.

Overall, he deserves a round of applause just for the fax machine incident alone.

gza the genius

Was he right to give Jose a contract extension and then proceed to immediately undermine him to the point that their relationship became untenable and Jose was actively trying to sabotage the squad? I'm not so sure that can be considered a good thing for Woodward. Jose forced his hand. Woodward would likely happily have Jose here still if he'd just played along a little better this season.

Mourinho's summer plans and views on our current squad seemed extremely terrible but Woodward probably should've known that before he gave him an extension.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Sacking Mourinho is the only thing Woodward got right.

fecked up by extending his contract.

fecked up by not backing him with a defender in the summer.

fecked up by not sacking him sooner.

Ed doesn't come out of this as some golden boy. Golden turd, maybe.

Maticmaker

I think Woodward probably did, but it was more by good luck than good management! The contract extension Ed gave Jose will have cost us even more with the final pay-off.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Even ED with his limited background in football could see that Martial and Pogba were the future of the club.
I shudder to think where we would be if Jose got his way.
He was obviously on a mission to build the most defensive team that world has ever seen, Perisic and Willian, eww

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Maybe because its in the club nature to have a manager for long term and Mourinho haven't fecked up yet until this season. We are a club with longevity in mind, signing him for new contract made us look like we're stable into the new season.

When the new season arrives, Jose wanted new CB having spent more than 70 million for Bailly and Lindelof. The club beginning to question Mourinho's judgment.

So for me, Woodward was just being sensible about handling the situation. He being lenient because of our reputation of trusting the manager, but when the manager began to question the board, that's when Woodward realize it was a mistake.

I don't blame Woodward, it's just how the way it is. The manager doesn't fit with our club philosophies and it's so well known now.
The same season that Pogba was dropped for McTominay which started the shitfest with Pogba and Jose?

Woodward got bluffed into giving Jose a new contract and wasted another season by not getting someone else in the summer. Sacking Jose was probably one of the few rare footballing decision that he has gotten right after a few years here and it still came too late.

Woodward needs to be held accountable and if he fecks up the the next manager/DOF again, he needs to walk.

carlosp

Ed still hasn't got it right. PSG have numerous high quality players yet they've just signed another player - Paredes.

Ole has gone 8/8 and we lack a centre back and a right wing yet it seems no one is coming in.

Would like to smack him on his head.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some people still don't believe Jose Wanted to sell Martial. I can't remember which journalist revealed it. But a journalist came out not long ago and said Mourinho called the journalists at our preseason your aside, off camera when Tony left for his baby's birth and told them he was more than willing to sell him.

Renegade

Was he right to give Jose a contract extension and then proceed to immediately undermine him to the point that their relationship became untenable and Jose was actively trying to sabotage the squad? I'm not so sure that can be considered a good thing for Woodward. Jose forced his hand. Woodward would likely happily have Jose here still if he'd just played along a little better this season.

Mourinho's summer plans and views on our current squad seemed extremely terrible but Woodward probably should've known that before he gave him an extension.
You’re forgetting Mourinho was flirting heavily with PSG mid season during this time.

rollingstoned1

He has gotten almost all of it right for me. The club in general being reactive after fergie leaving can't all be laid at Woody's feet. To his credit he has used his veto well in denying mourinho everything he wanted and asked him to get on with doing what he is supposed to do I.e coaching the team. Without spitting his dummy out at that. Those saying he should have sacked mou in the summer can't be for real after the decent season we had, even though the writing was probably on the wall. The club in general paid a price for it's hope and arrogance that with us it wouldn't be the same when it came to mourinho and that he would probably set roots here and become a fergie mk2. if at all considering that he finally gets all the control and power he craves but doesn't get at previous clubs leading to his inevitable sacking. At the end of it all, a clean slate and knowing what to do and what not do after the mistakes that have been committed probably makes all that has transpired seem like a necessary evil going forward.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sacking Mourinho is the only thing Woodward got right.

fecked up by extending his contract.

fecked up by not backing him with a defender in the summer.

fecked up by not sacking him sooner.

Ed doesn't come out of this as some golden boy. Golden turd, maybe.
If really the options were: Maguire at 70m+, Alder at 60m+, Boateng at 40m+ and Yerry Mina, then I think that he did well by not backing Mourinho to sign one of them.

gza the genius

You’re forgetting Mourinho was flirting heavily with PSG mid season during this time.
He wasn't going to leave mid season, it could have waited. Instead Jose got a contract extension which presumably included the ~20m or so figure (whatever it was) we had to pay him for him to leave. I get the principle of it but giving him a new contract out of panic of him leaving doesn't leave Woodward in a good light either considering how it all turned out.

Dr. Dwayne

If really the options were: Maguire at 70m+, Alder at 60m+, Boateng at 40m+ and Yerry Mina, then I think that he did well by not backing Mourinho to sign one of them.
Woodward had to realize what not backing the manager with a defender was going to turn it on, though. If he thought it would be nothing then he failed to do his due diligence on Mourinho.

Revan

Assumptionman
Woodward had to realize what not backing the manager with a defender was going to turn it on, though. If he thought it would be nothing then he failed to do his due diligence on Mourinho.
Sure, the biggest mistake was assuming that United will change Mourinho.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Should have powerbombed Jose through a table after the post-match comments vs Sevilla. That was some smalltime BS.

Should have backed or sacked him in the summer. Doing neither was just weird. Jose pissed and moaned about it up until he was sacked, and is still making comments about how he wanted to be in a situation like Pep. It spoiled a large chunk of the season.

He made the right decision, after exhausting numerous wrong decisions.

Thisistheone

Hiring LvG and Mourinho went tits up for him. He's only now looking for a Director of Football and might yet try for another pragmatic manager in the summer. He's years behind the curve. From a football point of view, we're still well behind other elite clubs.

Last edited:

Kapardin

Should have sacked LvG after the Wolfsburg game and Jose in preseason. Too late as usual to do the right thing. Appointing Ole is almost the first good decision he made since his own appointment.

I also think he could be more active in trying to flog off deadwood. Needs to understand no club would be gullible enough to pay top dollar for Rojo, Darmian etc and just take a hit on them. It's a crime that our spending appears tied to getting these players off our wage bill.

cathari

What on earth went on in those meetings between Woodward and Mendes? Is there ANY way of explaining that extension than utter failure? I get that giving the manager an extension could spark some kind of consolidation throughout the club, but subsequentially not supporting him in the summer window is weird. Would have thought they discussed the club moving forward, and agreeing how when signing an extension?

Maybe the Glazers made a U-turn, given the rumours they are trying to sell. Maybe Woodward is, in fact, a turd. Maybe Mendes is a genius. Anyhow, will be time before we know for sure.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nowt wrong with signing Alderweireld for £35m.
Nope, £35m would've been fine. But in reality it was going to cost an absolute minimum of £55m, and probably closer to £65m. So the question was whether it was worth spending an extra £35m to get him one year earlier.

Pretty sure Woodward did try to get him the defender he wanted. There's a reason the links to the likes of Alderweireld and Maguire went right to the very end of the window - we had bids on the table that we thought should be enough and we were hoping one of their clubs would eventually accept. Ultimately though none of them did. There is a huge difference between that and the scenario that I always see written about which makes out that Woodward simply refused to buy a defender. The latter definitely indicates a lack of trust in Mourinho where he should have been fired then and there. Whereas if it went down as I believe then it's unfortunate but he did what he realistically could and it's up to Mourinho to get over it and make do with what he has. Same thing with Willian, and also Peresic the season before. We did try, but their clubs were asking for stupid amounts.

It also has to be mentioned that we always complain about overpaying for players and other clubs taking us to the cleaners. Well lately we do seem to be trying to put down a marker and refuse to overpay to ridiculous amounts. Hopefully that'll give us a stronger bargaining position going forward.

AndyJ1985

Yes he was absolutely right to not spend ludicrous amounts of money on ageing players who wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to our results. If Mourinho has his way we'd have sold Martial and Pogba and instead had Perisic, Willian, and Alderweireld. All three we'd be looking to offload (and struggle to) in a year or two. The shameful thing about it is some of our fans wanted him to be backed. Tahnk feck Woodwarddoes actually know a thing or two about running a football club

Amir

He absolutely got it right when it comes to refusing certain deals. As for not sacking Mourinho in the summer (or doing it in December), we'll never know. The club has owners and a board of directors. I doubt Woodward can just sack the manager if he wants to. There might have been a bigger picture here.

Gopher Brown

He was wrong not to back our manager - but he kept Jose around far longer than he deserved.

I hope whoever our next manager is is fully backed and given what he considers the tools to win things.

Dr. Dwayne

Pretty sure Woodward did try to get him the defender he wanted. There's a reason the links to the likes of Alderweireld and Maguire went right to the very end of the window - we had bids on the table that we thought should be enough and we were hoping one of their clubs would eventually accept. Ultimately though none of them did. There is a huge difference between that and the scenario that I always see written about which makes out that Woodward simply refused to buy a defender. The latter definitely indicates a lack of trust in Mourinho where he should have been fired then and there. Whereas if it went down as I believe then it's unfortunate but he did what he realistically could and it's up to Mourinho to get over it and make do with what he has. Same thing with Willian, and also Peresic the season before. We did try, but their clubs were asking for stupid amounts.

It also has to be mentioned that we always complain about overpaying for players and other clubs taking us to the cleaners. Well lately we do seem to be trying to put down a marker and refuse to overpay to ridiculous amounts. Hopefully that'll give us a stronger bargaining position going forward.
I like to think that Mourinho wanted McGuire and Woodward said feck this, you're out.

Shark

@NotShark
Woodward pulled something out of his arse and got lucky. He's made far too many blunders now to be trusted, we seriously need to appoint someone in who actually has a clue about football.

Mihai

He got it right on the transfers in the summer (out and in) but fecked up massively by not sacking Mourinho at the same time.

A disgruntled Mourinho is pure poison for any club and it ruined our season. The only way I can make sense of it is that Ole was in mind all along as wasn't available until the end of the Norwegian season (have heard fairly reliable rumours he was in talks before Mourinho's sacking)
Maybe keeping Mourinho was a blessing in disguise? Who is to say that Ed wouldn't have gone after another star manager instead of Ole?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Ole might be the reason, he'll save himself as a guy in charge of some football decisions... he just need to support him on the market, but a proper DoF could help him in that, indisputably.

welshwingwizard

What qualifications does he have to reach the conclusion they were not good enough though. No football background. Its why you pay a manager to take those calls.

welshwingwizard

If Mourinho has his way we'd have sold Martial and Pogba and instead had Perisic, Willian, and Alderweireld.
As in my post above, that isnt his decision to make. What would have happended if Gill had blocked Ferguson from selling Kanchelskis, Hughes and Ince because he thought there were younger players.

In that role you either trust your manager or sack him but don't block him because you think you know better because you don't. Woodward knows no more than us.

Greck

What qualifications does he have to reach the conclusion they were not good enough though. No football background. Its why you pay a manager to take those calls.
It isn't always something that needs a PhD and even if it was it doesn't mean you become the final authority on all things related to the field. Why we can criticise politicians despite having never served a day in office. Chelsea fans probably wish someone vetoed the De Bruyne sale. Doesn't matter if it was the tea lady

Revan

Assumptionman
The qualifications of being the vice-executive manager of United, and being manager's boss.

Verminator

So to summarise,
We should not have renewed the contract of our best performing manager since Fergie, when things were going well(ish)?

We should have sacked him sooner, but we shouldn't rush into appointing a new manager?

We should splash the cash in January, but we need to be lead by a DoF, so we don't make rash recruitment decisions?

We spent record money filling the squad with average players, but the board are tighter than a fish's arse?

Woodward only makes mistakes, what he gets right is down to luck (or Fergie)?

welshwingwizard

It isn't always something that needs a PhD and even if it was it doesn't mean you become the final authority on all things related to the field. Why we can criticise politicians despite having never served a day in office. Chelsea fans probably wish someone vetoed the De Bruyne sale. Doesn't matter if it was the tea lady
I never suggested the manager shouldn't be accountable. Just stating that the person questioning whether or not players are good enough should have a footballing background. I don't see that in itself as a statement anyone could have a problem with.