Diego Forlan

Don16

Annoying cnut
Just watched the 90 minutes of United/Chelsea from the 2002/2003 season, when Diego popped up in the last minute

aaaah I fecking loved the man :D

DocRockter

As do I.. I try to watch him each and everytime I get the chance.. Uruguay is a very TV-friendly team to watch(spec. when Diego-o is playing)..

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think if he played at a lower PL club than United he would have succeeded because the goal scoring ability is there.It was just the pressure on him which was immense

Tibs

Remember when he scored his first goal - nobody could believe it, even him.

I did think that once he started scoring that he could have done well for us, but then he was benched again and that was that.

Class guy though. Hopefully he'll be back at OT one day to play against us

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Great guy.

Terrible player (in England).

And that's that.

Ixion

He didn't really get a fair chance, there were a couple of occasions where he scored in several games in a row then would be dropped to the bench and not start again for weeks.

Hes a good player and I'm glad hes doing well now.

MUFCgal

He didn't really get a fair chance, there were a couple of occasions where he scored in several games in a row then would be dropped to the bench and not start again for weeks.

Hes a good player and I'm glad hes doing well now.
Exactly. At one point he was given a decent run in the side and scored quite a few goals but then suddenly he was dropped to the bench again. Obviously didn't do his confidence any good. I'll always remember his two goals against the Dippers, bloody brilliant Diego :devil:

krazyrobus

I like the man, sadly he wasn't what we were looking for. With RVn playing and Scholes in the hole behind him, we were looking for Forlan to do an Ole, someone to come from the bench and score when we needed it. He isn't like that, he's the kind of guy who needs regular 1st team games to build up scoring momentum.

I remember when he went on a 6 game scoring run when RVN picked up an injury, he scored 6 goals in 6 matches straight across 3 different competitions, They were all kinds, i remember a very nice volley in there, a header, a tap-in it proved he had the scoring ability, just not from the bench and he isn't better than RVN at doing it.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
I remember the fuss made over him going so long without scoring. However in many of the games he played he was only on the field for 5, 10, 15, 20 minutes as a sub whereas someone like Crouch went a lot of games without scoring, but started most of the matches.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Love him or not, Diego will be remembered as the one who made the scousers cry. Two goals at Anfield, late winner against the Renties, world class volley against Rangers, the shirtless episode, and being a good guy who in the end just wasn't consistent enough to squeak out a career at OT.

Ferguson

The "Haircut Thesis"

One lesson I've learned from reading posts and threads on the Caf for many years is that it is all about the haircut. For the English it seems the case that short hair equals manliness and character, and long hair means you're lacking in some quality. According to this theory, the "Haircut Thesis," players like Kieran Richardson, Forlan and Chris Eagles are destined to be sold due to long hair. Others such as Beckham or Rio demonstrate by their long hair that they are in love with celebrity and lack enough devotion to their football. Meanwhile Keane, Rooney and Wes Brown possess toughness and true mettle due to their short hair. O'Shea, despite being in the same category as Richardson, Forlan and Eagles, will never be sold and will pop up for a late goal against Liverpool due to his short haircut. Rio and Ronaldo become better players as soon as they cut their hair shorter.

If someone had told Forlan that he needed to cut his hair short, then perhaps he would have succeeded with us.

In order to test the "Haircut Thesis" Anderson needs to cut his dreds off, then we'll see if he scores more goals and has more confidence placed in him by SAF.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
In order to test the "Haircut Thesis" Anderson needs to cut his dreds off, then we'll see if he scores more goals and has more confidence placed in him by SAF.
Already done, he looked like a girl and didn't come any closer to scoring.

DocRockter

You cnuts have been wanking about Eto'o and Villa all season but the FACT is that Diego now has 25 goals which is 2 behind Eto'o and tied with Villa.. The year he won the golden boot in 2005 he was as well two goals behind when going to the final matches of the season. I would be so happy if he would be able to become La Liga's top scorer again in 2009. Second time in four years and not represending Barca and/or Real would be huge achievement.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Just had a look at his La Liga goal per game ratio and it's 93 goals in 170 games. That's extremely impressive.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Always wonder if he'd have gotten as good if he'd been given a bit more time or was it games week in week out that brought out his form.

Hard not to like him really, good to see him go on to have a good career post Utd. Have my doubts he'd succeed in the PL now though if he came back... La Liga seems to suit him

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I believe had he been given a sustained run of games over a period of weeks then he would have done well for us.

As it happens it wasn't meant to be, but we've not done too bad since he left:)

Tribec

As someone pointed out earlier, with RVN doing the business whilst Diego was at the club he really stood no chance. If he were to signing for us with the current team, I think he'd score loads more goals, but the team was built to suit RVN at the time.

Give him credit for not letting his head get down, or throwing his dummy out of the cot either, as he quite easily have done so with the way he was treated on occasions. LIke many a player before him and many a player after him, the move to United didn't work out, but he put the effort in. I said that without thinking about Berbatov, but when we think of some of the misses from Forlan, did we ever get on his back like we have for Berbatov since that miss at Wembley? No, because we can see the effort he put in. OK so Berbatv is a far better player, and a different player to boot, but if he put a third of Diego's effort in I'd be pleased.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
I absolutely love him and would love to see him come play for us.

I have been trying to see that goal for a long long time, i had to leave the tv set 5 minutes before the end so i had thought it was a draw and was really negative about our league hopes after that.
but found out later that we won and was absolutely delighted.

i can't find that goal on youtube, can anyone help me getting a link for that goal?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's scored some crackers for both Villareal and Atletico too, I'd love to watch all of his La Liga goals over again because at least half of them would be quality.

Definitely benefits from being given more time and space to take those shots though, wouldn't have scored half as many here I think.

And he does still miss some absolute sitters.

But yeah, you gotta love him either eway.

TheReligion

Abusive
Remember going and sitting next to him on a flight from Manchester to Gatwick once while he was at United.

It was before the plane had taken off and the rest of the passengers were embarking. I saw him come on the plane, so went and sat by him, told him I was a bit United fan, asked for his autograph etc - have it right here. He even added his number 23 to it.

He told me he was flying to London to then go onto Uruguay to play a WCQ. Really nice guy, full of smiles. Shook hands then went back to my seat for take off.

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
I wonder if Count Duckula saw his near post finish today.

CD said, during El Clasico, that the goal from Messi that made it 5-2 was evidence of Messi being one of the best players ever and that he wanted to know which other players would finish like that.

Well, I present to you, Diego Forlán.

davisjw

I'd take him back as our more fluent attack would benefit him as a striker then our stale attack with Ruud our scoring threat. Good lad and player, left us on good terms so no problems from me.