Diego Maradona | 2018 Performances

Classical Mechanic

I'm not even getting into the alleged freedom of speech that Western Europe proclaims but it's only logical why celebs/artists side with the other side despite mostly having no clue on politics. Imagine having your performance cancelled because you think that one sorry politician is better than another sorry one.
Apparently loads of people walked out of his gig in Scotland because he said ‘Nicola Sturgeon’s hands will be in anybody’s pockets’.

Made me laugh really. I mean for Morrisey that’s vanilla but also imagine worshipping a politician that much.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Apparently loads of people walked out of his gig in Scotland because he said ‘Nicola Sturgeon’s hands will be in anybody’s pockets’.

Made me laugh really. I mean for Morrisey that’s vanilla but also imagine worshipping a politician that much.
True. Sad that people need some superficial figure to create their opinion for them. Don't you think he sided with the wrong guy, though? He still gets cancelled if he goes the other way? Serious question as I'm not English-based.

EDIT: some of his views are odious, feck me.

Last edited:

fallengt

Of course Maradona likes Colombia. He's been supporting their business & economy for years.

JK-27

He thinks Kane was at fault for being fouled in the box? He must be doing LSD not coke, he's starting to see things that aren't there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's a cnut and he was always a cnut. A woman beating, drug abusing cnut.

I thought this before today's quote. His opinion didn't bother of surprise me. Just thought I'd let people know I think he's a cnut.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'd have been annoyed if that penalty was given against us. Not that much in it...and the reaction is fairly mild compared to how our media/pundits/fans have reacted to world cup exits in the past....and probably will if/when we go out this time. So I don't think there is a high horse to sit on here really.

Remember when the ref and Ronaldo were both cheats for forcing Rooney to brutally stamp on someone?

Though if I was Colombia I'd have been more annoyed at the ref stopping the game when we had a chance, purely because someone on the England team was too thick to have been paying attention to his own team mate taking a throw in. That was a really bizarre decision and it looked like it may have saved a goal.

Not sure what it has to do with Maradona. If the final ends up being England vs Brazil he should be forced to present the trophy to the winner.

Rajma

I'd have been annoyed if that penalty was given against us. Not that much in it...and the reaction is fairly mild compared to how our media/pundits/fans have reacted to world cup exits in the past....and probably will if/when we go out this time. So I don't think there is a high horse to sit on here really.

Remember when the ref and Ronaldo were both cheats for forcing Rooney to brutally stamp on someone?

Though if I was Colombia I'd have been more annoyed at the ref stopping the game when we had a chance, purely because someone on the England team was too thick to have been paying attention to his own team mate taking a throw in. That was a really bizarre decision and it looked like it may have saved a goal.

Not sure what it has to do with Maradona. If the final ends up being England vs Brazil he should be forced to present the trophy to the winner.
Find agreeing with you on everything as of late :lol: Well put.

At what point does Maradona's post football clown show begin to detract from his football career ?
Never. The two will always be separated for me.

Like Best and his drinking and Giggs and his brother's wife. Their antics off the pitch didn't (usually) affect how good they were on it.

aganley

Never. The two will always be separated for me.

Like Best and his drinking and Giggs and his brother's wife. Their antics off the pitch didn't (usually) affect how good they were on it.
I also think it depends on what generation you’re from, the first world cup I remember watching was Mexico 86. I was only 12 at the time and could not comprehend how 1 person was so much better than everyone else and I was absolutely in awe of him. And to this point I have never seen 1 person dominate a world cup like Maradona. But far other people all they will remember is this person they are seeing now. I have a child who is 7 and all he will remember is this drugged up, has been he once saw on TV in 2018 world cup. First impressions and all that.

Revan

Assumptionman
I just cannot see how someone with a straight face can say that it wasn't a pen, and I find it even weirder when some Englishman (Noodle) says that. I mean, it was as pen as it can be from those situations.

buchansleftleg

I've watched Maradona since the start and he has always been an odious little git. Immensely talented yes but an appalling personality. The macho posturing / fake spiritual posing is all to aggrandise himself or a shield to hide his various misdeeds. He has his entourage of hangers on, dealers and sycophants that allow him to behave in an appalling way.

I bet if I was in the stadium - ripped to the tits on coke and was swearing, making racist gestures or comments, the local police would crack me across the skull, drag me out and leave me in the cells for 2-3 days to cool off.

Comparing him to Best is unfair. Best suffered from a disease - in his case with a hereditary component, of alcoholism. He committed many misdeeds but these were usually part of a cycle of drinking, sobriety, relapse and depression. I've met several people over the years that met George and all said he was a lovely quiet shy man who struggled to accommodate being the worlds first sporting megastar. His worst misdeeds occurred when heavily drunk, not that I am trying to downplay their importance or justify them on that basis.

Maradona has behaved in an offensive way to his own countries media when he was acting as manager and has a reputation as a nasty piece of work. He claims to be a fan of Fidel Castro, be a staunch supporter of left wing causes but indulges in bigoted and racist comments.

He was happy to be a complicit tool of the right wing military junta that killed thousands of it's own people to repress dissent and claims his hand of god goal was revenge for the Falklands war.

While that war was going on he was having his own pitched battles at Barcelona - bringing great highs but also great lows too. - See below describing how and why he left Barcelona

The end of the 1983–84 season included a violent and chaotic fight Maradona was directly involved in at the 1984 Copa del Rey final at the Santiago Bernabéu against Athletic Bilbao.

After receiving another rough tackle by Goikoetxea which wounded his leg, being taunted with xenophobic insults throughout the match by Bilbao fans, and being provoked by Bilbao's Miguel Sola at full time as Barcelona lost 1–0, Maradona snapped.

He aggressively got up, stood inches from Sola's face and the two exchanged words. This started a chain reaction of emotional reactions from both teams. Using expletives, Sola mimicked a gesture from the crowd towards Maradona by using a xenophobic term.

Maradona then head-butted Sola, elbowed another Bilbao player in the face and kneed another player in the head, knocking him out cold.The Bilbao squad surrounded Maradona to exact some retribution with Goikoetxea connecting with a high kick to his chest, before the rest of the Barcelona squad joined in to help Maradona.

From this point, Barcelona and Bilbao players brawled on the field with Maradona in the centre of the action, kicking and punching anyone in a Bilbao shirt. The mass brawl was played out in front of the Spanish King Juan Carlos and an audience of 100,000 fans inside the stadium, and more than half of Spain watching on television.

Sixty people were injured, with the incident effectively sealing Maradona's transfer out of the club in what was his last game in a Barcelona shirt.

One Barcelona executive stated, "When I saw those scenes of Maradona fighting and the chaos that followed I realized we couldn't go any further with him."

That sort of chaos and disorder is not some mercurial genius with a minor flaw. it's the actions of a thug who welcomes protection from criminal elements to maintain his lifestyle choices.

However much he dresses himself in his countries flag, Maradona's malignant narcissism will eventually supercede his footballing achievements as it consumed his talents. He is the perpetual spoilt child who has never grown to be a man. Like any unruly child what he fears most is silence and being ignored and that is the best way to respond to this vile pond scum.

Loublaze

ATLien
I've watched Maradona since the start and he has always been an odious little git. Immensely talented yes but an appalling personality. The macho posturing / fake spiritual posing is all to aggrandise himself or a shield to hide his various misdeeds. He has his entourage of hangers on, dealers and sycophants that allow him to behave in an appalling way.

I bet if I was in the stadium - ripped to the tits on coke and was swearing, making racist gestures or comments, the local police would crack me across the skull, drag me out and leave me in the cells for 2-3 days to cool off.

Comparing him to Best is unfair. Best suffered from a disease - in his case with a hereditary component, of alcoholism. He committed many misdeeds but these were usually part of a cycle of drinking, sobriety, relapse and depression. I've met several people over the years that met George and all said he was a lovely quiet shy man who struggled to accommodate being the worlds first sporting megastar. His worst misdeeds occurred when heavily drunk, not that I am trying to downplay their importance or justify them on that basis.

Maradona has behaved in an offensive way to his own countries media when he was acting as manager and has a reputation as a nasty piece of work. He claims to be a fan of Fidel Castro, be a staunch supporter of left wing causes but indulges in bigoted and racist comments.

He was happy to be a complicit tool of the right wing military junta that killed thousands of it's own people to repress dissent and claims his hand of god goal was revenge for the Falklands war.

While that war was going on he was having his own pitched battles at Barcelona - bringing great highs but also great lows too. - See below describing how and why he left Barcelona

The end of the 1983–84 season included a violent and chaotic fight Maradona was directly involved in at the 1984 Copa del Rey final at the Santiago Bernabéu against Athletic Bilbao.

After receiving another rough tackle by Goikoetxea which wounded his leg, being taunted with xenophobic insults throughout the match by Bilbao fans, and being provoked by Bilbao's Miguel Sola at full time as Barcelona lost 1–0, Maradona snapped.

He aggressively got up, stood inches from Sola's face and the two exchanged words. This started a chain reaction of emotional reactions from both teams. Using expletives, Sola mimicked a gesture from the crowd towards Maradona by using a xenophobic term.

Maradona then head-butted Sola, elbowed another Bilbao player in the face and kneed another player in the head, knocking him out cold.The Bilbao squad surrounded Maradona to exact some retribution with Goikoetxea connecting with a high kick to his chest, before the rest of the Barcelona squad joined in to help Maradona.

From this point, Barcelona and Bilbao players brawled on the field with Maradona in the centre of the action, kicking and punching anyone in a Bilbao shirt. The mass brawl was played out in front of the Spanish King Juan Carlos and an audience of 100,000 fans inside the stadium, and more than half of Spain watching on television.

Sixty people were injured, with the incident effectively sealing Maradona's transfer out of the club in what was his last game in a Barcelona shirt.

One Barcelona executive stated, "When I saw those scenes of Maradona fighting and the chaos that followed I realized we couldn't go any further with him."

That sort of chaos and disorder is not some mercurial genius with a minor flaw. it's the actions of a thug who welcomes protection from criminal elements to maintain his lifestyle choices.

However much he dresses himself in his countries flag, Maradona's malignant narcissism will eventually supercede his footballing achievements as it consumed his talents. He is the perpetual spoilt child who has never grown to be a man. Like any unruly child what he fears most is silence and being ignored and that is the best way to respond to this vile pond scum.
I feel you're glossing over George Best's repeated violence towards women and his negligence as a father. Are these acts of a mature man or are these some of the misdeeds you're alluding to as a result of his alcoholism and depression? These acts are worse than the ones you're vilifying Maradona for IMO. Im not even protecting Maradona, he is just as vile in my eyes because he has committed those acts as well. Paul Gasgoine shares a similar pattern. All three had/have clinical/genetic diseases that wreaked havoc in their lives and in the lives of many people closely connected to them but outside of that they all did inexcusable things that only they can take responsibility for. We simply just love to beatify the most flawed of celebrities.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

So he has apologized for his statement. Looks like FIFA said they ll not sponsor his daily dose of dope.

buchansleftleg

I feel you're glossing over George Best's repeated violence towards women and his negligence as a father. Are these acts of a mature man or are these some of the misdeeds you're alluding to as a result of his alcoholism and depression? These acts are worse than the ones you're vilifying Maradona for IMO. Im not even protecting Maradona, he is just as vile in my eyes because he has committed those acts as well. Paul Gasgoine shares a similar pattern. All three had/have clinical/genetic diseases that wreaked havoc in their lives and in the lives of many people closely connected to them but outside of that they all did inexcusable things that only they can take responsibility for. We simply just love to beatify the most flawed of celebrities.
I wasn't meaning to downplay Best's actions at all. He did express remorse but that still offers no justification.

Same with Gascoigne I suppose. I can view his actions and feel some pity that he can't make more positive choices.

Maradona has revelled in his image, shows no remorse and has a persecution complex.

When i talked about being a man i was meaning more of a comparison with elder statesmen of the game like pele, beckenbaur or Sir Bobby.

Who knows they all may have had skeletons in their closets but they have enough self worth and respect to not appear in the public in such a shambolic state

The Firestarter

6 minutes in.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wonder if all of you spoke the same way of George Best. The man that ruined his liver and decided to take another man's which could have gone to someone actually deserving of it.
:lol: That's an odd way to put it.

He's the most skilful player ever. Don't see how that can be debated.

If he self destructs soon it changes nothing about his ability when playing.
Why not? Ronaldhinio and Messi were/are ridiculously skillful too.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
If anything, this WC demonstrated the difficulty of superstars trying to carry their teams to glory. All the big name individuals failed and the finalists were truly the best "teams" in every sense of the word. The more WCs I see, the less likely it seems we'll ever see anything close to what Maradona did in 86.

Frank Grimes

Best was a wife beater. May have been drunk at the time but that's no excuse.