Diego Maradona has died | 1960 – 2020

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Rest in peace Diego

Struggled to live past the football pitch

poleglass red

A lot of similarities between him and George Best. Man, did they both shine bright though.
I think even more poignant is that Maradona has died on the same day as Castro did in 2016, they had formed a very close relationship once Maradona retired.He said Of Castro when he passed away:
“he was like a second father to me”
“He opened the doors of Cuba to me when Argentina was closing them.”

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Barry Davies said it about his second goal in against England but it kinda sums up the man's life - "you have to say that's magnificent".

I should hate him but I never did, even as an 8 year old in 1986 when he made me cry.
I was a kid, but still remember the look on my cousin's face when he saw that goal. Talk about being in awe....

Blackwidow

R.I.P.
I grew up with the duels between Germany and Argentina and in that period Maradona was the superstar. In the stadium I only watched him at Matthäus' GoodBye match in the Olympic stadium in Munich in 2001.

croadyman

That would have been a hell of a ride!
Yeah it really would and maybe means we are destined to be managed by Pochettino eventually who had obvious love for Maradona in that interview on Monday Night Football from a few weeks ago

jungledrums

A former coach of mine played with Maradona in the Argentina youth teams. Maradona is revered by fans the world over of course, but I’ve never seen admiration and deification quite like what I observed from my coach. Gives you an insight into the profound aura around Maradona - even (or, in fact, especially) those close to him were in awe of him.

A legend of the game. Sad news.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
RIP. I was born in 84 so I never really saw him at his best, but my father-in-law is adamant he's the best player that ever lived.

DRM

If anyone hasn't seen the Maradona documentary about his time in Napoli, I strongly urge you to see it!

There was Diego, then there was Maradona.

RIP

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
RIP. I was born in 84 so I never really saw him at his best, but my father-in-law is adamant he's the best player that ever lived.
My dad watched him live. He said you had to experience Maradona live to understand it. He couldn't explain it in words.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Just how good was he? This should be an appreciation thread to celebrate his life and career imo.

Didn't he singlehandedly take Napoli to Serie A when it was in its pomp? Love to see Messi do that. GOAT achievement for me.
He was unbelievable. The speed he ran with the ball, the change of direction and an amazing range of goals... just a beautiful player to watch.

He didn't quite win Napoli's titles single handedly ... they had players like Ciro Ferrara, De Napoli, Bruno Giordano and later Careca and Zola.. but when you think of the other teams in Italy then and some of the players THEY had, it was some effort. I think he was getting double league goals pretty much every season and loads of assists. Still their only two titles?

Same with the World Cup. He didn't do it by himself (Argentina were better than the one man team some say they were) but he was the standout by far and not just in the England game. That first goal v Belgium... the speed of thought, the technique... amazing.

Also remember some of the treatment he was getting (especially in Italy) was brutal!

No angel but still the best player I've ever seen.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

Today I bid farewell to a friend and the world farewells to an eternal genius. One of the best ever An unmatched magician. Leaves too soon but leaves a boundless legacy and a void that will never be filled. RIP crack. You will never be forgotten.

Facebook messing with the translation to English. CR7 did not call him a crack

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Aguero was married to his daughter, but they divorced. Probably why
Ahh I knew Aguero was married to his daughter but I had no clue they were divorced.

Thanks For the info mate!

GameOn

RIP

The best player I've ever seen live and it's not even close.

There is a reason everyone in Argentina laughs at you, when you suggest Messi is as good or even better than Maradona.

SportingCP96

Supports
Aguero used to be married to his daughter - they divorced in 2012 or something and I guess their relationship wasn't good anymore.
Appreciate it mate!

izec

Ahh I knew Aguero was married to his daughter but I had no clue they were divorced.

Thanks For the info mate!
Just checked, they weren't married, only liaised. But have a son and were together for years, probably on the way to marriage. Can imagine the separation wasn't great news for all of them.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He must have sniffed kilos of the good stuff, drank like a fish and in general lived life in excess, and all while being idolised for being a GOAT. Not a bad life he had.

SportingCP96

Supports
Just checked, they weren't married, only liaised. But have a son and were together for years, probably on the way to marriage. Can imagine the separation wasn't great news for all of them.
I would hope the relationship somewhat improved over time but who knows

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That son is football chosen one. Dad Aguero, grandad Maradona and godfather Messi :lol: .
I would buy him without watching him

LOIfan

Supports
bohemians
I remember watching a brilliant Maradona documentary about his time in Naples and would like to watch it again but theres a few Maradona documentaries and I can't remember the name of this particular one. I know not much info given but would anyone know the name of DOC I'm talking about?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Watching Maradona at Napoli to this day makes me believe he was the greatest player that ever lived. It was where he got to express his coke fuelled artistic brilliance onto canvas. In Barcelona they tried to make him part of the team, which stifled him, at Napoli he was free to do what he wanted and it was stunning to see. RIP

Bratt

Terrible news! This is too sad, my childhood hero.
RIP you absolute legend.