Diego Maradona has died | 1960 – 2020

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
My father told me the news a couple of hours ago; extra painful for us as there seems to have been some parallels here with my mother's passing last month, though she at least had another decade of life compared to Maradona, but of course he packed enough in for many lifetimes.

RIP Legend

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
There is a reason everyone in Argentina laughs at you, when you suggest Messi is as good or even better than Maradona.
Many people in Argentina think that Messi is better.

The first time i paid attention to Maradona was when Gatti (Boca Juniors goalie) said that he wasn’t afraid of that “gordito” (fatty), that at that time was playing for Argentinos Juniors, and was facing Boca that weekend

That “gordito” Maradona was 19 years old, and scored 4 goals.

from here to eternity Diego :(

feck you 2020 :mad:

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He actually did well to survive so long....nearly went in 2000 when he was very bloated and he also had major health scare a few years ago before the recent ones.

What can you say about him really but his legacy in football is very much safe.

One of those people who'll still be debated in a sporting context in 100 years time. R.I.P.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
RIP Diego. I was a bit young to really watch him play so I could only go off the old clips and from what people told, but watching his film Diego Maradona earlier this year made me really appreciate how great he really was.

monosierra

He actually did well to survive so long....nearly went in 2000 when he was very bloated and he also had major health scare a few years ago before the recent ones.

What can you say about him really but his legacy in football is very much safe.

One of those people who'll still be debated in a sporting context in 100 years time. R.I.P.
Kind of makes me wonder what are some epic, career-defining moments that the best players of today will be remembered by. There's so much more highlights nowadays than before and its hard for a magical moment to stick out like, say, the Hand of God does. I feel that the WC still gives such epic performances a bigger boost than club football, at least in the public consciousness (More people know about countries than clubs).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Kind of makes me wonder what are some epic, career-defining moments that the best players of today will be remembered by. There's so much more highlights nowadays than before and its hard for a magical moment to stick out like, say, the Hand of God does. I feel that the WC still gives such epic performances a bigger boost than club football, at least in the public consciousness (More people know about countries than clubs).
Messi and Ronaldo will still be talked about in a century aswell I think but more for their cumulative performances unless scoring 40 goals a season becomes normal again or even easier to do as football moves on in the future.

You're right about neither perhaps having one single iconic moment, probably last one would be Zidane with his volley v Leverkusen when he was rated best in the world.

What we have to remember about 70s and 80s is for a British audience a foreign match was very rare to be shown live on TV so World cups were the ultimate stage compared to know when even tonight I could watch 5-6 CL matches all at once if I wanted to.

Maradona was the ultimate rags to riches story in football. He still needed football in the end as Tim Vickery made the point on radio today that lockdown probably he went back to drinking more as he didn't have the day to day structure for six months of managing La Plata.

arthurka

My all time favourite player by some distance, remember watching him as a kid playing at the 86'WC like it was yesterday. Did nothing else that summer than going out with a ball practicing to be like him. From dusk till dawn that summer I dreamed of being like him. Never seen anything like him he was just something else. Flawed but sensational. Seems like the gods were holding him by the head when they dipped him into the magic potion, perfect and magical but his head was definitely not correctly screwed on. 2020 can now officially go and feck it self.
RIP you majestic human being.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
In 1994 WC I knew about all his drug problems but I didn't care about any of it - I just wanted to be able to watch him play and I was so mad that he got kicked out of the tournament. I actually thought he should have been given a pass because the people of the world deserved a chance to watch his brilliance one more time. The two matches he played in that WC he was excellent and I still remember a couple of moves that just astounded me for their imagination.

One, he was near the touchline with the ball and two defenders had him trapped. He did some type of fake to move one defender and then he faced forward and heeled passed to a teammate behind him. Because of the tight defenders he had to heel the ball in the air to get over the foot of one defender and the ball was not bouncing. The ball hugged the touchline just so and landed at the feet of his teammate. Normal players just can't think like that let alone execute it.

RIP Maradona. I just wish you had lived in an era where most of us could have watched you on TV.

Cantonagotmehere

RIP. Growing up in the States, only football I saw on TV was the WC, I'll never forget watching him. Very sad.

Just watched the video of him warming up for the WC semi, shed a tear for sure. What a player.

Tel074

My all time favourite player by some distance, remember watching him as a kid playing at the 86'WC like it was yesterday. Did nothing else that summer than going out with a ball practicing to be like him. From dusk till dawn that summer I dreamed of being like him. Never seen anything like him he was just something else. Flawed but sensational. Seems like the gods were holding him by the head when they dipped him into the magic potion, perfect and magical but his head was definitely not correctly screwed on. 2020 can now officially go and feck it self.
RIP you majestic human being.
Exactly my feelings well said. He was God like to our generation much more than just a footballer . Comfortably the best there has ever been

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never had a chance to see him live, but going by his records, videos, he seemed like one of the greats people didn't really need to exaggerate his achievements to justify his place alongside the GOATs. RIP

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
fecking hell :(

They were talking about him on Talkshite an hour ago, when I was on my way to the supermarket. The way they were talking, initially, I thought that he may have died, but I wasn't sure. 10 minutes later, I decided they were just talking about him because they had one of his ex-agents on.

It was only when I opened up the BBC Sport page that it was confirmed. Bit of a shock tbh, on the one hand that he lasted that long in the first place and then again, that he's died so young.

A true legend of the game, RIP.

Real Name

Italy 1990 and his name was one of the first things related to football I heard about before I even started to be a football fan in general. Got to realize how big of an icon he was and how much bigger than life his persona was. Remember when there was news about him coming back for the 1994 world cup and how huge it was and remember how even bigger shock was the news he needed to pull out.

Watched clips from 1986 so many times I got the feeling I was watching it live. Somehow that world cup represented true football, from the game itself and how it was played to the iconic La Azteca stadium to the Maradona himself. The way he played, how he handled the ball, how he scored all those goals and how he drove the defenders crazy, that was pure football, beautiful game to the core which we all love.

He had his demons, lots of them but now is not the time nor the place to speak about it. And after all it was him, it was his life, its high and lows. He'll be remembered for his football ability, not by his life struggles.

Watched him live only in 1994 but get shivers why writing about him.

RIP Diego.

This fekin year cant end soon enough..

GenZRed

A cheat departs this mortal coil. I don't care how talented, still a cheat.
It took five pages but eventually somebody spoke the hard truth instead of reeling off 'RIP' like a drone.

Because that *really* 'adds to the discussion.'

wolvored

Best player ever imo. The hand of god was one thing, but that 2nd goal was the best goal i've seen in a WC finals.

Deery

Dreary
It took five pages but eventually somebody spoke the hard truth instead of reeling off 'RIP' like a drone.

Because that *really* 'adds to the discussion.'
Bellends, I’ll take the warning

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Napoli have officially renamed their stadium the - Stadio Diego Armando Maradona.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Discussion about GOAT aside he's probably my favorite player ever. A unique talent, yet he had fire in his belly like few others. He was more than a personality, he was a genuine icon.

Yes he probably lived too hard and certainly was flawed, but he stood for something, wasn't shy about being more than just a footballer. For me the most iconic footballer of all time, the closest the sport has had to Muhammed Ali.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
There was never a dull moment with Maradona, on the pitch he was magical to watch, off the pitch he could be just as entertaining in a wide range of levels. For me there is no single GOAT these days, its just too hard to pick one as there are 3 or 4 or maybe a couple more that were/are amazing however he is absolutely without a shadow of doubt one of the real contenders for those who can pick one.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Died the same day as George Best, could be a quiz question in the future.

JSArsenal

Aguero's goal against QPR.
Iniesta's winner for Spain in the World Cup
Gotze's winner

Those are the three goals that stick out to me, maybe if Barcelona had won La Liga the year Messi scored at the Bernabeu and held up shirt. To be fair, there are very few career defining goals throughout the history of football. That's what makes them so special.

RIP Maradona.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
He's the reason I started watching football. That Argentinian World Cup victory was the beginning of my football journey. What a player. Only Messi comes close.

atomic keane

What a flawed genius he was! RIP

2-0 vs England in 86 was really unbelievable, unforgettable I watched that live and the second he had control I thought ooops, he’s going to get another one...

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
RIP, Genius. Everything about him was larger than life. The candle that lights brighter burns out sooner. He lived his life on his own terms.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Many people in Argentina think that Messi is better.

The first time i paid attention to Maradona was when Gatti (Boca Juniors goalie) said that he wasn’t afraid of that “gordito” (fatty), that at that time was playing for Argentinos Juniors, and was facing Boca that weekend

That “gordito” Maradona was 19 years old, and scored 4 goals.

from here to eternity Diego :(

feck you 2020 :mad:
Incredible :lol: But it looks like he scored 5 in that video?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Just how good was he? This should be an appreciation thread to celebrate his life and career imo.
Platini said this around euro 2000 when Zidane was probably at his absolute peak

"Zidane does some extraordinary things, it's true. But you have to put everything in context. What Zidane does with a ball, Maradona could do with an orange"

That's no disrespect to Zidane.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Just did a bit of research into his Copa America history since I had never really heard about it before.

He was not involved in the 1983 squad as it looks like all players were Argentine league based?
1987 - One of only 3 non Argentine League players. Played in both group matches scored 2. Started in the loss to Uruguay in the Semi finals.
1989 - Again in the squad, one of only 10 non Argentine League players. Started all 4 group stage matches, and 2 of the 3 final group matches, looks like he was held out of the dead rubber vs Paraguay on the last matchday.
Not in the 1991 squad.

Again not criticism just wanted to give the info as I had never seen it before.

sallycinnamin

Best player ever imo. The hand of god was one thing, but that 2nd goal was the best goal i've seen in a WC finals.
Without a doubt. Not only that that pitch in Aztec Stadium was in bits. He had such a low sense of trajectory. I was thirteen that year and agree never seen anything like it. In my opinion the best I've ever seen.

Last edited:

MUM

Di Stefano, Maradona, Messi.

That's a brillant Argentine hat-trick.

The Purley King

To quote from braveheart

Every man dies, but not every man lives

I hated him for the hand of god (I was 10 at the time) but as I got older I got over it. Every footballer cheats........
Single handedly won the wc for Argentina and the league for Napoli.
Best naturally gifted footballer of my lifetime and equally as importantly lived life to the full. Did not give a feck what anyone thought.
Legend.