Diego Simeone - the missing one

Kostov

I really don't like his money on rabies attitude, and generally would hate to see him week in week out in the PL, but you can't deny this guy is a top class manager.

Enigma_87

You know who
Love to see this man in the PL. What are the possibilities of that happening? When and which club would suit him best?
I'd love to see him at United post Jose. The best manager currently out there. What he has been doing with Atletico year after year with the budget he has is nothing short of phenomenal.

Sanche7

I'd love to see him at United post Jose. The best manager currently out there. What he has been doing with Atletico year after year with the budget he has is nothing short of phenomenal.
If you think Jose is boring, wait until you see this guy and the football his teams play every week.
He would be a good fit for Chelsea but personally I would like us to go for someone who plays a better brand of football.
Also I feel the whole underdog thing is necessary for him

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Don't think he'd be a good fit for Arsenal, Liverpool or Man. United.

Only club I can see it working would be Chelsea. They've had a win at all costs mentality since Roman came in and never had that defined style of play when winning leagues like Arsenal did or Man. City have now (apart from that one Ancelotti season).

In any case I don't see him coming to the premier league for a long while as think he's destined to be Inter Milan manager in near future.

They're at the level Atletico were when he took over in 2011.

Argentina national job might tempt him one day aswell.

Enigma_87

You know who
If you think Jose is boring, wait until you see this guy and the football his teams play every week.
He would be a good fit for Chelsea but personally I would like us to go for someone who plays a better brand of football.
Also I feel the whole underdog thing is necessary for him
Don't think Jose is boring (contrary to the popular opinion around here). I've also always backed him up and really want to succeed here. Simeone is the only manager I'd consider at his level and who I'd like to see at United if not Jose.

He's, like Jose, a born winner and I don't think his mentality would be a problem at a big club either.

Hiring someone with a better brand of football doesn't mean he'd be successful and the latter is IMO more important than only good performances here and there.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Their FA have been an absolute joke. They have a wealth of talent that is the envy of the world. I would be fuming if I was Argentinian
They pay peanuts which is why they can only tempt local managers like Bauza and Sabella.

Surprised they actually got in Sampaoli, he must've been on a small wage at Sevilla.

EyeInTheSky

They pay peanuts which is why they can only tempt local managers like Bauza and Sabella.

Surprised they actually got in Sampaoli, he must've been on a small wage at Sevilla.
Such a waste. I saw an ex official say how Messi has paid for flights and accommodation (or something along those lines)for staff and players at times. Would love to know what hey are doing with the finances.

Stringer

Very good manger but I wouldn’t want him near United with the style of football he has his teams playing.

James Peril

The man is absolutely crazy and not in a good way. Reminds me of Paulo di Canio, although a much better manager (not that it had to be said at all).

He would annoy so many people in England, thinking Klopp times ten. His behavior last night was nothing short of very, very childish and pathetic. See the actual video footage before throwing a tantrum, you’re a grown man.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What he did with Atletico is astonishing. A title, Europa League, Copa Del Rey, reached 2 CL finals, being a pain the ass to Real/Barca, consistently securing top 3 in La Liga for the past years...

NotATroll

Reasons he would be great at Arsenal:
1. The club needs transforming, in terms of discipline and work/defensive organisation on the field. This is different to just putting the cherry on top like Allegri at Juve. It is more like what Conte did at Juve. Simeone has shown he is capable of doing that.
2. Arsenal are underdogs in a financial sense compared to the likes of us and City. Again, Simeone has shown he can perform with this sort of challenge.
3. Arsenal don't need to play attacking football. George Graham (a manager who has actually won a European trophy for Arsenal) was defensive.

He's one of the last 'galactico' managers the PL needs to collect (the only other big name still at large is Allegri but perhaps you could add Tuchel and even Emery) and I, too, hope this could happen.

Moos

Supports
Liverpool
Only Chelsea suit him. United and Arsenal should play exciting football, and that is not what he offers.

The Bloody-Nine

Such a waste. I saw an ex official say how Messi has paid for flights and accommodation (or something along those lines)for staff and players at times. Would love to know what hey are doing with the finances.
On Saturday Argentina face Russia in a friendly at the Luzhniki Stadium, a venue the team now hope to revisit in eight months’ time for the World Cup final.

Having qualified for next summer’s tournament, courtesy of Lionel Messi’s hat-trick against Ecuador in October, Jorge Sampaoli’s team are finally in Russia, a place many doubted they would make it to a little over a year ago. It is difficult to overstate the seriousness of the trouble that was threatening the very existence of one of the most famous national teams.

A tearful Messi had proclaimed his retirement from international football, while back in Argentina the country’s football association, the AFA, had its offices raided. Elections for the AFA presidency were annulled when the vote count did not correspond to the size of the electorate (it ended 38-38 from 75 members), Fifa intervened and a nominated committee took over the association. Auditors found massive debts; and fiscal anomalies threatened to culminate with several clubs in court.

In addition the TV deal for domestic football was in turmoil as the new-ish government aimed to disentangle itself from an inherited populist football package whereby TV broadcasts were state-funded. Perhaps the most damning legacy of the mess was that the country’s once excellent youth squads had sunk into oblivion, failing to qualify at all for competitions they used to dominate.

Things were really bad. One official involved at the time said, “We stepped in and found only shit; not a single rose.” Rumours that the AFA was struggling to pay some of its employees abounded and there were reports that scraping together the €1m needed to pay Sampaoli’s release clause from Sevilla was proving a challenge.

That was then. Now a hopeful squad are training in Moscow in a transformed environment. A revived contract with Adidas is backing this friendly and the new national strip was unveiled this week as if to illustrate further a new beginning – an attempt at the “clean slate” approach, or, as they say in Argentina, borrón y cuenta nueva – an expression that dates back to medieval account-keeping, when a smudge on the ink meant starting over.

A new beginning has been long overdue. It is a pretty tall order to transform radically the sordid modus operandi that has been in existence since the 1970s under the strong leadership of Don Julio Grondona. His death in 2014 left a void at the top of the power pyramid which, combined with the subsequent Fifa scandal and the government’s withdrawal from financing the TV rights, left the stage wide open as never before.

While the national government conducted negotiations with several broadcasters with a view to devolve football to the private realm a new Super League was taking shape. Headed by a CEO who currently works with the AFA leaders, this posse of the top clubs may in due course operate somewhat independently of the AFA, similar to the relationship between the Premier League and the Football Association in England.
Full article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/11/argentina-chaos-world-cup-russia

Sylar

Much like others, I think hes a perfect fit for Chelsea.

Bojan11

Why are people saying he wouldn’t fit in at Arsenal? Have people forgotten the 1-0 to the Arsenal?

Arsenal fans have moaned for years that their beautiful football has won them nothing. If he gets them to compete with the big boys then they’d love him.

I haven’t watched them in the leagues much. But whenever I seen them in big games they haven’t been that bad to watch. Were unlucky to lose in the two champions league final. Went to the Camp Nou needing a draw and nearly won the game.

The key factor is that whenever you play them you’d know that you are in a game. Arsenal need that back because they too easy to play against.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Why are people saying he wouldn’t fit in at Arsenal? Have people forgotten the 1-0 to the Arsenal?

Arsenal fans have moaned for years that their beautiful football has won them nothing. If he gets them to compete with the big boys then they’d love him.

I haven’t watched them in the leagues much. But whenever I seen them in big games they haven’t been that bad to watch. Were unlucky to lose in the two champions league final. Went to the Camp Nou needing a draw and nearly won the game.

The key factor is that whenever you play them you’d know that you are in a game. Arsenal need that back because they too easy to play against.
He would be perfect, their players wouldn't suddenly forget the style of football (short passing) that they've been playing there entire career but would instead learn the things they need to do like defensive responsibilities and shape. I don't think there's any chance he will be there next manager but from an Arsenal perspective they should chase him.

Reasons he would be great at Arsenal:
1. The club needs transforming, in terms of discipline and work/defensive organisation on the field. This is different to just putting the cherry on top like Allegri at Juve. It is more like what Conte did at Juve. Simeone has shown he is capable of doing that.
2. Arsenal are underdogs in a financial sense compared to the likes of us and City. Again, Simeone has shown he can perform with this sort of challenge.
3. Arsenal don't need to play attacking football. George Graham (a manager who has actually won a European trophy for Arsenal) was defensive.

He's one of the last 'galactico' managers the PL needs to collect (the only other big name still at large is Allegri but perhaps you could add Tuchel and even Emery) and I, too, hope this could happen.
#

Agree with all of this post except Emery, whilst he may be a decent manager he wouldn't be that great a name to add to the prem imo. Hes so far managed to achieve pretty much what Laurent Blanc consistently achieved but with a much more expensive and better team, whilst flopping in Europe two years running at the first big team they get.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Think it would be too much of an extreme change from their present style. Arsenal better going for an inbetween manager like Jardim who can play defensive but also managed a team last year that wowed europe with its style of play.

Chelsea just fits to me probably aswell with all the transfers between Atletico and Chelsea so the clubs already have a working relationship so Simeone could probably bring a couple of players with him.

Cloud7

When I imagine him in the PL it’s hard to imagine him at anyone but Chelsea. He just seems like a Chelsea manager, can’t place exactly why, but he just seems like one. As said before, he would be good for Arsenal, they could use someone like him, but I can’t see it happening.

He is an absolutely brilliant manager, top 5 in the world definitely, but I wouldn’t want him as our manager. His style of play is just a bit too agricultural and cagey for my tastes, regardless of how good I’m sure he would be. It’s brilliant to see Atletico shut out sides like Barca, but I don’t think I could watch that in my team every week.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Would be very surprised if he ever comes to England.

Doesn't speak English? Would be a pantomime villain like Costa. Sure the Beckham red would get bought up even though 20 years ago..

Great manager, think he wants Inter after he leaves Atletico.

Sanche7

He ruled out Chelsea move a while back Atletico Madrid boss Simeone is reluctant to put the time in to learn English and prefers a “Latin Lifestyle"

However, after holding talks with United bosses over replacing David Moyes back in 2014, Simeone is said to still have one eye on managing at Old Trafford because of the size of the club.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Christ, the same people who are always moaning regarding Mourinho, now are saying Simeone is the master of defensive organization?

What I see from his team is that they have more individual quality than 90% of their opponents, feel more comfortable when they don't have the ball and stay deep waiting for stronger teams mistakes, how is that different from what Mourinho does?

Regarding his behavior, exactly what England needs, football needs controversy, agitation, and not lessons of how to be a good man with Royal Etiquette, football is for normal people, if I want to see well behaved people maybe the best option is to watch the Pope in Rome? Join the Police?

BarcaSpurs

At their peak with Arda Turan, Tiago etc Atleti played some really nice 1 touch football when they wanted to, never saw a team resist barcas pressing as well as they could. I think he'd be brilliant at Arsenal and i think during that transition period you'll see a combination of flairy attacking play and rock solid defending.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think his next move is more likely to be to Inter rather than England.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
He's the last manager I would want at United. Far too negative despite having good players. Much like what we dislike Mourinho for sometimes.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Would be very surprised if he ever comes to England.

Doesn't speak English? Would be a pantomime villain like Costa. Sure the Beckham red would get bought up even though 20 years ago..

Great manager, think he wants Inter after he leaves Atletico.
Just curious, would Chelsea fans take him as manager after Conte? Or are you desperate for a change in style?

simplyared

Christ, the same people who are always moaning regarding Mourinho, now are saying Simeone is the master of defensive organization?

What I see from his team is that they have more individual quality than 90% of their opponents, feel more comfortable when they don't have the ball and stay deep waiting for stronger teams mistakes, how is that different from what Mourinho does?

Regarding his behavior, exactly what England needs, football needs controversy, agitation, and not lessons of how to be a good man with Royal Etiquette, football is for normal people, if I want to see well behaved people maybe the best option is to watch the Pope in Rome? Join the Police?
Agree with this.