Diego Simeone - the missing one

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
If he were at United though, I doubt he'd have anything like the same success. Atletico have always punched above their weight and had an underdog mentality - that just doesn't gel with the culture of this club. Fans wouldn't settle for seeing the team grind out the 1-0s.
Instead we grind out 1-0 losses.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Mourinho was charismatic and charming.

Everyone liked Mourinho as a character. He was the cocky, lovable pantomime figure.

Simeone is just barbaric and still boring somehow. The Football Prime Mourinho's teams played blow Simeone's Football out of the water.
I do not. Mourinho often picked fights with journalists and opposing coaches Ferguson, Wenger Pep Ranieri everyone even Salernitania coach

Simeone keeps his stuff on the field for opponents

Simeone is managing Atletico, I dont think they hhave the budget of Mou Chelsea, Man utd Madrid where he played the same type of football

Fingeredmouse

I do not. Mourinho often picked fights with journalists and opposing coaches Ferguson, Wenger Pep Ranieri everyone even Salernitania coach

Simeone keeps his stuff on the field for opponents

Simeone is managing Atletico, I dont think they hhave the budget of Mou Chelsea, Man utd Madrid where he played the same type of football
I don't remember Mourinho picking fights with Fergie. He was always obsequious, for transparent reasons, was he not?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Of course Atletico are playing like nasty feckers and Simeone is encouraging that. Yet, people forget that they don't even have half the budget of City and frequently lose their best players. Just in the last three seasons they lost 5 starters, while maintaining balanced transfer spending: Griezmann, Hernandez, Rodri, Partey and Trippier.
The fact that this was a contest at all, shows how good he is. Expectations are just way off in regards to Atletico. The embarrassing part is not, that they do that against City in the CL, but that they play the same way against bottom sides in la liga.
United are in a very different situation and shouldn't need someone like Simeone to compete with the top clubs in the world.
EXACTLY. This is the issue I have with Simeone when everyone wants to bring up his CV and accomplishments after yet another inevitable shithouse of a game that he either wins or loses 1-0.

Atletico isn't Burnley, they have some brilliant attacking players who can play good football but simply choose not to. I don't mind a manager that wants to play to keep defensive shape first and foremost in a big game especially in cup competitions. But you have a guy trotting a team out there with 11 men behind the ball refusing to get out of their own half, and on top of it acting like cnuts the entire time.

The fact that some think he would be lauded at OT is laughable to me. There's a reason Juanfield was such a modern classic of a game in recent time for us supporters, because we actually went to Anfield and bossed them at their own place and dominated the game. We've also squeaked out wins against Pep and Klopp in recent times by smash and grab as well but it doesn't feel nearly as good after the initial euphoria of the result washes away because we know that was the only way we were going to beat them.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
Local reports are saying he's leaving at the end of the current season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Local reports are saying he's leaving at the end of the current season.
Yeah, his time is overdue at Atletico. He turned them into a monster but poor recruitment and his tactical set up has been poor in recent years. Even the covid year they won the league, they almost bottled it after having such a big lead at the top. Their form hasn't improved since then.

Will be difficult for the next manager to change the mentality and philosophy of the club. I'd go with Valverde.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Chances of him coming to England are pretty low I would think. Italy seems probable to me after Atletico.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Italy is a good bet. Chelsea have been looking to implement a more possession based system for years now. Spurs could be the only option in England if Conte gets fed up

Chinchy98

Great manager. Not sure where he ends up. His football without results is awful on the eye

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
His football isn't to everyone's taste but in just over a decade he's done an amazing job there. It's a bit like Wenger/Arsenal in that they've declined a bit in last few seasons and probably right time to leave now.

Think they'll drop a fair few places with motivation levels going down as when you look at the squad it's not a great profile in terms of age really for next 2-3 years.

Kondogbia, Koke, Griezmann, Savic, Morata, Witsel all 30 or above and they've got many others in the 27-29 age range aswell. Oblak probably moving on and really they've got very few young players established in the squad. Endless players loaned out but not many of them look good enough to come back and play for a top 4 team.

Not sure on Atletico's finances these days tbh, I assume they can't just go out and drop 150-200m spend in a transfer window.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Simeone's first 5 or 6 years at Atletico were promising. He undoubtedly increased the club's status from a small low tier club to a La Liga contender and even aiming to win a Champions League.

Sadly for him and Atletico, I think his Achilles heel have been 2 major factors: (1) The regression of his 4-4-2 line up and stagnance of his defensive system and (2) bad signings that have had a negative impact into his system and into Atletico's economy.

When Atletico won La Liga in 2020, it was clear they were already making a regression. Veteran players failing to comply with his defensive system, lack of juvenile players or young talent and failing to comply to other playing systems. Simeone is like Mourinho in the sense that they don't try to innovate into other playing systems. Obviously, their tactics have given them some good results but at the long term fail to outperform their rivals.

Whom to succeed Simeone in Atletico? I would like to see someone like Tuchel or Pochettino TBH. But I think they will give the OK to Luis Enrique.

As for Simeone, I bet he will return to Italy, waiting for a chance to take over Inter or Lazio.