Diego Simeone - the missing one

SirAF

Ageist
I absolutely love this guy! Wouldn’t mind him as a future United manager if he becomes fluent in English.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What he did with Atletico is astonishing. A title, Europa League, Copa Del Rey, reached 2 CL finals, being a pain the ass to Real/Barca, consistently securing top 3 in La Liga for the past years...
Top manager.

Freddie'sRedHair

Supports
Arsenal
Why are people saying he wouldn’t fit in at Arsenal? Have people forgotten the 1-0 to the Arsenal?

Arsenal fans have moaned for years that their beautiful football has won them nothing. If he gets them to compete with the big boys then they’d love him.

I haven’t watched them in the leagues much. But whenever I seen them in big games they haven’t been that bad to watch. Were unlucky to lose in the two champions league final. Went to the Camp Nou needing a draw and nearly won the game.

The key factor is that whenever you play them you’d know that you are in a game. Arsenal need that back because they too easy to play against.
Agree 100% and I felt that way before last night. I'll miss our dedication to 'pure' football, but all the embarrassing results outweigh that positive. Simeone would get us playing with a lot of pride and much needed defensive stability, I don't even think much needs to be done to our attack other than confidence. It's all dreams though, our board won't approach someone like him, it's a shame that will all the potentially great options we may end up with Arteta as manager.

I think the language is a big issue for him.
Arsenal won't have any English players next season, so that's not an issue for us.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So long as the club is competitive he'll stay where he is. Atletico is his home

I think the language is a big issue for him.
Eactly, I think that's the only reason.

A lot of non-spanish speaking people think he is insane, and in this thread I have read things like "Mad man" or "Crazy guy". It's really funny.

To be fair, before and after the game, he's a very well-spoken manager, very intelligent, composed man and full of wisdom.

Last edited by a moderator:

simplyared

The man is absolutely crazy and not in a good way. Reminds me of Paulo di Canio, although a much better manager (not that it had to be said at all).

He would annoy so many people in England, thinking Klopp times ten. His behavior last night was nothing short of very, very childish and pathetic. See the actual video footage before throwing a tantrum, you’re a grown man.
Don't agree with this. Putting him in the same mould as di Canio with his Nazi salutes etc etc is an insult to him imo. The man is passionate. Nothing wrong with that. Can understand him throwing a wobbler seeing one of his players red carded so early in the game in such an important match. And of course he would annoy people that's the reason we'd like to have him here.

JohnnyKills

Don't agree with this. Putting him in the same mould as di Canio with his Nazi salutes etc etc is an insult to him imo. The man is passionate. Nothing wrong with that. Can understand him throwing a wobbler seeing one of his players red carded so early in the game in such an important match. And of course he would annoy people that's the reason we'd like to have him here.
Yeah agreed, not sure you can compare him to a man who made a fascist salute

Kaos

As much as I love his personality his football would bore me to tears here.

Can only see him moving to somewhere like Inter or Chelsea.

reddevil702

Christ, the same people who are always moaning regarding Mourinho, now are saying Simeone is the master of defensive organization?

What I see from his team is that they have more individual quality than 90% of their opponents, feel more comfortable when they don't have the ball and stay deep waiting for stronger teams mistakes, how is that different from what Mourinho does?

Regarding his behavior, exactly what England needs, football needs controversy, agitation, and not lessons of how to be a good man with Royal Etiquette, football is for normal people, if I want to see well behaved people maybe the best option is to watch the Pope in Rome? Join the Police?
It's people that just look at results but really haven't seen Atleti play much. Diego makes Jose look like an attacking genius. I know they were a man down for most of the match yesterday but even then they had no plan going forward, at times couldn't even string a couple passes together. He adds so much grit and defensive stability/coordination that it makes Atleti very hard to beat. I think he'd be a perfect fit for Arsenal.

Inter Yer Nan

I love Simeone. In Spanish footy I'm an Atletico fan so that's natural. He's been great for them and I think he'll be there for a few years yet. It sounded like he was about to leave after the 2nd CL final loss but he's maintained great form and determination.

Since that final they have obviously had Godin, Filipe, Juanfran, Gabi, these core players aging and a transfer ban and he's on the verge of 2nd place (ahead of a side that's about to win the CL for the 4th time in 5 years) and win the Europa League. Proof that he can develop and adapt and that he knows how to really organize a side that is well drilled and very importantly loves playing for him. Xavi mentioned that recently you've got supreme talents in Koke and Saul who could easily play for any other teams doing the dirty work and busting their gut and they love doing it. That tells me the players buy into him and love him. That's man management and creating a great environment.

I really wish that Costa was eligible earlier in the season or Griezmann hadn't started so slowly because they drew too many games and wasted too many chances in dominant games (look at Roma away and the two draws with that Azerbaijan team) because I think they'd be playing in the Champions League final next month. Since they've been back in the Champions League only Real Madrid have managed to better them in a knockout tie and during that time Atletico have been Real's superior domestically in head-to-head games (no domestic defeats at Bernabeau in, what 6 years?). They really deserved to win at leastone of those Champions League's and with just a tiny bit of luck or lack of misfortune and they'd have won both. 2 finals, a Copa Del Rey on Real's turf, a likely 2nd Europa League and La Liga as greater than a 100-1 outsider is a hell of a run though.

Anyway, I see him at Atletico as long as they are at this level which will be for a couple of years yet now that they can go back into the market this summer with money to spend. After that? I think he will go to Inter. He's said one day he'd like to manage them and Simeone is a loyal guy not one to go where the money is or more attractive project. To him the loyalty and being manager of a team and club he loves is the attractive project. I see more Atletico, Inter and Argentina in his future.

Raru9

Is a shame that Atlético get off very early in the CL this year. An Atlético in a good form is a problem for any team.

Ekeke

I laugh at people making Mourinho comparisons. Not at all.

It seems like every season Simeone is incorporating new young players, especially into his backline and they do well. Gimenez in the past few seasons, Lucas Hernandez this season, Koke in midfield before that and of course Saul Niguez over the past few seasons too - not that he plucked them all from obscurity or anything, I myself picked Saul out while he was on loan before his Atletico breakthrough ( https://www.redcafe.net/threads/saúl-Ñíguez.375742/ ) but how often do young players come into teams and not convince or hold down a spot? Take a look at us for example... And Mourinho has never been good at it.

Atletico and Simeone have done a very good job with that.

Simeone's Atletico are serial overachievers and the people saying they have better players than the teams they finish above are the ones being fooled. They are players who look better in Atletico's system because it suits them. Why did Felipe fail at Chelsea for example? But he was able to refind his form when he returned. Is Griezmann one of those better players? Funny how Atletico easily signed him without all the top clubs offering to pay the earth for him, but now due to his Atletico form people have wanted us to sign him.

Having said that Simeone isnt perfect. He's just a good manager who has shown himself to be very different to Mourinho

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I laugh at people making Mourinho comparisons. Not at all.

It seems like every season Simeone is incorporating new young players, especially into his backline and they do well. Gimenez in the past few seasons, Lucas Hernandez this season, Koke in midfield before that and of course Saul Niguez over the past few seasons too - not that he plucked them all from obscurity or anything, I myself picked Saul out while he was on loan before his Atletico breakthrough ( https://www.redcafe.net/threads/saúl-Ñíguez.375742/ ) but how often do young players come into teams and not convince or hold down a spot? Take a look at us for example... And Mourinho has never been good at it.

Atletico and Simeone have done a very good job with that.

Simeone's Atletico are serial overachievers and the people saying they have better players than the teams they finish above are the ones being fooled. They are players who look better in Atletico's system because it suits them. Why did Felipe fail at Chelsea for example? But he was able to refind his form when he returned. Is Griezmann one of those better players? Funny how Atletico easily signed him without all the top clubs offering to pay the earth for him, but now due to his Atletico form people have wanted us to sign him.

Having said that Simeone isnt perfect. He's just a good manager who has shown himself to be very different to Mourinho
Griezmann was one of the league's best attackers before Atlético signed him and had been Sociedad's best player for years. Signing him was a no brainer but there weren't many teams looking at his position (he wasn't playing as a striker). United certainly could have bought him but we had inadequate management but Real, Barca, Chelsea, Arsenal had better players already.

Atlético aren't overachievers. They just play one brand of football really, really well but they've always been a team that struggles if they concede first. Their entire team is defending first and you can see when they attack that they don't lose their shape very much which makes it hard to score on the counter.

Mourinho has gotten a lot of criticism for his style of football but Simeone would be crucified for his football if he were managing any of the top teams in England.

His players are certainly better than the ones at Sevilla, Valencia or below. There's no question about that. Mentioning Filipe Luis won't change that. He played at Chelsea where many signings have failed. Different country, league and language. Can't really adapt to those things if you're just sitting on the bench. Simeone has always had a host of strikers at his disposal and bought many that were good elsewhere but failed under his management. In the last 3-4 years there are not many teams that have spent more money on strikers than him. His top two signings last season, Gameiro and Gaitan. Meh. The season before that he bought Jackson Martinez and Vietto, one of the hottest tickets in La Liga. Both failed. It's not easy to play for him if you're not a hard core defender so it's not surprising that players that have done well for him are home grown given that the academy is good and they know what they are going into because they know him from training.

He's one of the last managers I'd see at United. Hate his style of football, don't like his character. Very difficult to play against so would rather not do it twice a year. Hopefully he just stays in his small Madrid pond.

Ekeke

Griezmann was one of the league's best attackers before Atlético signed him and had been Sociedad's best player for years. Signing him was a no brainer but there weren't many teams looking at his position (he wasn't playing as a striker). United certainly could have bought him but we had inadequate management but Real, Barca, Chelsea, Arsenal had better players already.

Atlético aren't overachievers. They just play one brand of football really, really well but they've always been a team that struggles if they concede first. Their entire team is defending first and you can see when they attack that they don't lose their shape very much which makes it hard to score on the counter.

Mourinho has gotten a lot of criticism for his style of football but Simeone would be crucified for his football if he were managing any of the top teams in England.

His players are certainly better than the ones at Sevilla, Valencia or below. There's no question about that. Mentioning Filipe Luis won't change that. He played at Chelsea where many signings have failed. Different country, league and language. Can't really adapt to those things if you're just sitting on the bench. Simeone has always had a host of strikers at his disposal and bought many that were good elsewhere but failed under his management. In the last 3-4 years there are not many teams that have spent more money on strikers than him. His top two signings last season, Gameiro and Gaitan. Meh. The season before that he bought Jackson Martinez and Vietto, one of the hottest tickets in La Liga. Both failed. It's not easy to play for him if you're not a hard core defender so it's not surprising that players that have done well for him are home grown given that the academy is good and they know what they are going into because they know him from training.

He's one of the last managers I'd see at United. Hate his style of football, don't like his character. Very difficult to play against so would rather not do it twice a year. Hopefully he just stays in his small Madrid pond.
Griezman was playing off the wing but he was coming inside as a forward. He was scoring goals and being a threat, but Atletico were able to sign him because he was considered a good player, not a great player who is now one of the reasons Atletico apparently have better players than the teams they're above.

Well they're above Madrid (and won the league in 13/14 so both Madrid and Barcelona were behind them) who have more marquee players, especially marquee players that werent developed from youth at Atletico.

Atletico are a better team as in they are organized and work together better. They are far closer to performing at their maximum potential than Madrid are. That doesn't mean they have better players or that if those players go elsewhere they'll do as well as they do for Atletico.

They're a better unit than we are too. Better organized, tighter and not reliant on the world's best keeper to save them but have always scored a similar amount of goals as us and Mourinho's teams in each of those seasons.

And again Simeone has been a lot less reliant on signings and far better at promoting the young players at the club and making them core players. Certainly havent been spending what we have only to end up weaker than they are.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sure, right, Atletico are overachievers, lets see how much they spent on transfers over the years.

17/18 - 102,00 M 16/17 - 79,00 M € 15/16 - 143,61 M €

Doesn't look to me spending 325,00 M € over 3 seasons is really something to complain about. Fine if you want to feed the propaganda they overachieve compared with Real Madrid or Barcelona, United or City, but even that is debatable.

And who compared with Mourinho and mentioned youth players? We are talking about style of play, and yes Simeone teams feel more comfortable when they don't have the ball, the same thing posted here time and time again, regarding Mourinho.

I think a lot of people talk about Simeone or Atletico without watching them, not saying he hasn't done a great job with them, if you only look at football based on results, but as I don't like to discuss football based on stats I will say the same.

Simeone and Atletico aren't buying players with a bag of peanuts, that's for sure.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They've done brilliantly replacing key players particularly upfront.

Since 2007 they've lost Torres-Aguero-Forlan-Falcao-Mandzukic-Costa as strikers. Think that's the right order they all left.

Compare that to premier league teams who completely fall off the earth when one key player is sold like we did with Benteke and West Ham have with Payet.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sure, right, Atletico are overachievers, lets see how much they spent on transfers over the years.

Doesn't look to me spending 325,00 M € over 3 seasons is really something to complain about. Fine if you want to feed the propaganda they overachieve compared with Real Madrid or Barcelona, United or City, but even that is debatable.

And who compared with Mourinho and mentioned youth players? We are talking about style of play, and yes Simeone teams feel more comfortable when they don't have the ball, the same thing posted here time and time again, regarding Mourinho.

I think a lot of people talk about Simeone or Atletico without watching them, not saying he hasn't done a great job with them, if you only look at football based on results, but as I don't like to discuss football based on stats I will say the same.

Simeone and Atletico aren't buying players with a bag of peanuts, that's for sure.
Atletico Madrid have always been a club who's spent huge money, often without good results. (Bit like Newcastle were 10 years ago).

Take a look at the squad they got relegated with in 2000. It had internationals like Molina, Capevilla (both went to Depor after and did well), Ruben Baraja and also Hasselbaink upfront who scored 25 goals.

Probably one of the best squads that's ever been relegated in any league.

Their consistancy season in season out since Simeone came in is something else.

They've done better than what Man. City have without a state running them.

I'd compare it to someone becoming Everton manager in their present state and getting them in top 4 every season and regulars in last 8 of CL.

ratburger

Money from sold players:
17/18 103,25 M €
16/17 38,50 M €
15/16 162,00 M €

Net spend:
17/18 -1,25 M €
16/17 40,50 M €
15/16 -18,39 M €

So total net spend over past 3 years is 20 M €.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
If Napoli win the league, can see him going there to replace Sarri who looks like he could end up with us.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Wasn’t most of the money used raised from player sales though?

AP88

Supports
Man City
Heard he’d only accept the United job in England, having repeatedly turned down City and Chelsea over the past 5 years.

I’d love him in Manchester - Italian coaches are very successful here (4 separate title winners) and he’s got the passion to neutralise Pep; he’s the centre forward whisperer too, developing a succession of genuinely world class strikers at Atletico.

Rashford and Martial would probably be thriving under him, as would Bailly, Pogba and Shaw....Im a huge Jose fan, but when you consider how much talent is likely to be discarded under him, it makes you wonder if being proactive and replacing him with Simeone would be more beneficial long-term.

Water Melon

Money from sold players:
17/18 103,25 M €
16/17 38,50 M €
15/16 162,00 M €

Net spend:
17/18 -1,25 M €
16/17 40,50 M €
15/16 -18,39 M €

Thank you very much for this.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Heard he’d only accept the United job in England, having repeatedly turned down City and Chelsea over the past 5 years.

I’d love him in Manchester - Italian coaches are very successful here (4 separate title winners) and he’s got the passion to neutralise Pep; he’s the centre forward whisperer too, developing a succession of genuinely world class strikers at Atletico.

Rashford and Martial would probably be thriving under him, as would Bailly, Pogba and Shaw....Im a huge Jose fan, but when you consider how much talent is likely to be discarded under him, it makes you wonder if being proactive and replacing him with Simeone would be more beneficial long-term.
He’s the last Manager our fans need, the moaning would be unbearable.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
Money from sold players:
17/18 103,25 M €
16/17 38,50 M €
15/16 162,00 M €

Net spend:
17/18 -1,25 M €
16/17 40,50 M €
15/16 -18,39 M €

"Quoting for truth" as the old forum tradition says.

he’s the centre forward whisperer too, developing a succession of genuinely world class strikers at Atletico.
Other than Falcao (who was already world class) and Diego Costa, he hasn't been successful at all. Jackson Martinez and Kevin Gameiro have been failures with him. I don't count Griezmann because he isn't a conventional striker and he was class before ATM as well

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Wasn’t most of the money used raised from player sales though?
I am not comparing with English clubs, I am comparing with La Liga clubs.
Money from sold players:
17/18 103,25 M €
16/17 38,50 M €
15/16 162,00 M €

Net spend:
17/18 -1,25 M €
16/17 40,50 M €
15/16 -18,39 M €

The net spend brigade then.
Take a look at the squad they got relegated with in 2000.
With Jesus Gil Y Gil as President :lol:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He’s the last Manager our fans need, the moaning would be unbearable.
Its official, I suspect a lot of people never watched 90 minutes of Atletico Madrid, Rashford and Martial thriving!!! I must live in other galaxy, enough Internet for today.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He’s done exceptionally well at Atletico - especially in La Liga and on the European stage, when compared with the super clubs.

He wouldn’t be my choice due to football style though.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Do you know how many managers he fired to achieve that?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Simeone is the defensive version of Mourinho. They will defend a 1-0 lead against any team, it doesn't matter if the opposition is in the 3rd division or top of La Liga.

I do feel sorry for him though, they were minutes away from a League + CL double and those jammy feckers across the city ruined it.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nothing wrong regarding what he achieved, just contradictory when everyone complains about Mourinho style and they want to bring a fresher version with steroids, only that, certainly he has nothing to do with Klopp, Guardiola, Sarri.

MalcolmTucker

He's Argentinian.

Ekeke

From 10/11 through 11/12 and 12/13 they had finished 7th, 5th and 3rd.

Over the course of that time Atletico had sold 128.6 million euros in players and spent 122.75 million of it. So they made more money in sales than they spent on players and now they finish 3rd in the league behind Madrid and Barcelona.

Then in 13/14 they won the league with 70.6 million euros worth of departures and 36 million euros worth of spending.

They've since sold 407.05 million euros worth of players and bought 443.56 million euros worth of players.

So for a total of 606.25 million euros of sold talent and 602.31 million of it spent on players - Net PROFIT of 3.94 million euros just on transfers alone and not including bonuses from league positioning/winning and cup trophy winnings, here's what they did on the pitch :

7th, 5th, 3rd, 1st (Winners), 3rd, 3rd, 3rd and currently 2nd above Madrid in the league & Copa Del Rey winners, Europa League winners, Uefa Supercup winners and Champions League losing finalists twice

You cannot tell me that achieving all of that whilst making more money from sales of players than they've spent isnt overachieving.

Having said that Atletico havent bought particularly amazingly with a bunch of their signings not doing a great deal at the club. But they they didnt need to because they've done extremely well incorporating young players from their system. Perhaps its just that they have done such a great job promoting those young players that they became better players than the signings they made and perhaps that wouldnt have happened if Atletico didnt spend money on competition for those young players. All in all it worked out great for them.

Sounds like you need to take your own advice and do your research on Atletico Madrid and Simeone before talking about them

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
Don't think he'd be a good fit for Arsenal, Liverpool or Man. United.

Only club I can see it working would be Chelsea. They've had a win at all costs mentality since Roman came in and never had that defined style of play when winning leagues like Arsenal did or Man. City have now (apart from that one Ancelotti season).

In any case I don't see him coming to the premier league for a long while as think he's destined to be Inter Milan manager in near future.

They're at the level Atletico were when he took over in 2011.

Argentina national job might tempt him one day aswell.
Jose's two leagues had some gorgeous football. Please don't bullshit that Chavs haven't played good football winning the league.