Dimitar Berbatov | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eriku

I've got emotions... I just don't feed off the negative ones like a huge amount of muppets on this forum do.

Ekeke

Thats not true, you get the feeling that some people here are happy to see him do badly just so they can say "hey i was right!" Both Nani and Anderson went through the same thing but now its Berbatovs turn.

Hes been piss poor today and its hard to defend that but you do feel a lot of people seem to take some sort of pleasure by it
Berbatov doesnt need to play badly for people to say "hey i was right!"

It was proven long ago. Now the issue is whether or not he's worth a starting place against the likes of Macheda, not whether or not he's the right player to buy for a club record fee. Thats how far its gone off track.

The least he could do now is play well to the end of the season and have a positive end, at least be a brilliant player for us. The bigger games he's failed in often have come and gone and these ones shouldnt be a problem for him. Nobody wants to see him fail, but if you dont take a light hearted look at it then you'll be pulling your hair out in frustration. Because he was supposed to be another star player and instead he's lucky to be a starting player and that doesnt look like it'll last much longer.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Absolutely awful today. Kept trying little flicks around the area that didn't work and missed some great chances.

First chance free with loads of time, nice angle and fails to even hit the target. 2nd chance ball dinked round the corner he reacts far too late and when he does reach it he should still hit the target and puts it over from a yard out. The third one it seems to hit him on the side of the face and gets deflected over.

There was another chance earlier in the second half where Rooney crossed a great ball in and Berbatov was standing still in the middle of the penalty area instead of gambling on the cross coming in.

I've wanted him to suceed, i support him when he's playing but it's hard to see how he has a future here when he's playing like that. Had a good game against Spurs but doesn't seem to realise that playing well one week doesn't mean you can play shite the next, it mightwhen he played at Spurs but not when you're trying to win the title.

Sorry bout the rant but he's getting on my tits now.

prateik

very good player
not his best game

very much a part of our future plans

Ekeke

some of you seem to doing rather a good impression of it then
Personally I think you try and baby him each week, which is odd particularly as he's not even here reading.

I could well understand it if he was a young player coming through, but a 29 year old £31 million international striker that has played and done well in several leagues doesn't need ridiculous overprotection. He's had his chances he just hasnt done the business, thats the simple fact.

EZee

berba-toss showed his worth again today...

hopefully milan were not watching and we can ship him out in the summer

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Despite him being terrible today, some posters still feel the need to trot out the muppet insult to all those who noted the terribleness of the terrible one's performance today. Laughable really. Will you still be here defending your loved one once he's playing at a 2nd tier club where he belongs next season? You'll probably be telling us we muppets (by then you'll be including Ferguson in your broad insult) never gave him a chance won't you?

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
His confidence is shot, just look to Nani to see what a huge difference a bit of belief can make. I guarentee that if we sell him he'll be a huge success at Bayern, Milan etc and we'll end up watching him do a Forlan. All I know is that I have unwavering beleif in his ability, anyone who watches him play every week can see that he's got all the assets to be a success. It just comes down to whether his confidence problems can be overcome, it would help if he had the support of the fans.

Ekeke

His confidence is shot, just look to Nani to see what a huge difference a bit of belief can make. I guarentee that if we sell him he'll be a huge success at Bayern, Milan etc and we'll end up watching him do a Forlan. All I know is that I have unwavering beleif in his ability, anyone who watches him play every week can see that he's got all the assets to be a success. It just comes down to whether his confidence problems can be overcome, it would help if he had the support of the fans.
You're right, confidence and belief make a huge difference. But that wasnt gifted on a plate to Nani either. He worked hard, played harder and got his just rewards. Berbatov just hasn't done that. Even if we sold him for £15 million and he came back to somewhere near his best for a Europa league side, he's 29 and we'd probably only "regret it" for a couple of seasons before he declines again. Besides which we're unlikely to sell him to a huge club and what he achieves at a lesser club is not indicative of what he could have achieved at this club which right now seems too big for him.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Watching him do a Forlan won't bother me in the slightest though, just as watching Forlan doesn't. Neither cut it at OT.

redwhiteblack

very good player
not his best game

very much a part of our future plans
I really doubt that, mate.

He has almost reached the point of parody as a striker, and SAF is quite clearly starting him ahead of Macheda during these final games of the season to ease his own conscience come the Summer - SAF will want to be able to say to himself "I definitely gave Berbatov enough game time to prove his worth at United" - and he has.

To hear people calling for another season of Berbatov is quite frankly bizarre.

He has failed. Accept it.

evra

You're right, confidence and belief make a huge difference. But that wasnt gifted on a plate to Nani either. He worked hard, played harder and got his just rewards. Berbatov just hasn't done that. Even if we sold him for £15 million and he came back to somewhere near his best for a Europa league side, he's 29 and we'd probably only "regret it" for a couple of seasons before he declines again. Besides which we're unlikely to sell him to a huge club and what he achieves at a lesser club is not indicative of what he could have achieved at this club which right now seems too big for him.
If we sold him then it would be CL teams interested, probably Ac Milan or Bayern.

Interval

Level
Despite him being terrible today, some posters still feel the need to trot out the muppet insult to all those he noted the terribleness of the terrible one's performance today. Laughable really. Will you still be here defending your loved one once he's playing at a 2nd tier club where he belongs next season? You'll probably be telling us we muppets (by then you'll be including Ferguson in your broad insult) never gave him a chance won't you?
Thats just the caf. Have you tried reading Park, O'Shea and Carrick threads of different times?

Redrage

As much as I want to defend him, after a performance like this I just can't! It was a shitday at the office for him and unfortunately he's been having a lot of those.

Ekeke

If we sold him then it would be CL teams interested, probably Ac Milan or Bayern.
We'll see. Bayern sadly have better players than him sitting on their bench. You might think he could take Thomas Mueller's place behind the lead the line striker but to be honest Mueller's work ethic, energy and movement mean he plays the role how it should be played in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 and Berbatov does not. They dont need him.

Milan already have a slow Ronaldinho in their forward line. I think that once again, sadly, that makes it more unlikely they'd want Berbatov in there too. Its still possible with the pace of Pato next to them, but unlikely.

If they ruled themselves out there arent that many champions league teams who would take him with the wages/fee that would be needed.

Ekeke

When I saw Forlan reach the top of the goalscorers chart in Spain and continue to have good seasons at the top level I wished we'd been a little more patient.
Yep we should be with 25 year old players. Young talented players leaving your club is a bad policy which does come back to haunt you now and again.

Old talented players leaving your club, not so much.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Berbatov

i know he's not rated. i know he missed chances. i know there's already a thread for this.

but for feck sake, he's trying. he has ability. he's a united player. let's fecking back him.
:devil:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Next week we should definitely show our support for him given it could be his last match for us!

Number7

Ret's Slave
12 goals this season.

An 18 year old Wayne Rooney got 17 goals in his debut season! Giggs got 17 in 93/94, Scholes got 20 in 02/03 , Ruud got 44!...point I'm making is we create chances so it takes a right dunce to score 12 fecking goals in an entire season! £30million price tag or not, 12 goals simply is not enough for a player who's played 41 times.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anyone would have thought we just lost, due to Berbatov. Jus sayin like....

wr8_utd

:'(
Would be about the most unexpected transfer ever.

Berbatov in exchange for Tevez.

Perhaps only Evra could see that one coming.
That would be :drool:

A partnership of an in form Tevez and an in form Rooney. Deadly.

Never going to happen though :lol:

evra

We'll see. Bayern sadly have better players than him sitting on their bench. You might think he could take Thomas Mueller's place behind the lead the line striker but to be honest Mueller's work ethic, energy and movement mean he plays the role how it should be played in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 and Berbatov does not. They dont need him.

Milan already have a slow Ronaldinho in their forward line. I think that once again, sadly, that makes it more unlikely they'd want Berbatov in there too. Its still possible with the pace of Pato next to them, but unlikely.

If they ruled themselves out there arent that many champions league teams who would take him with the wages/fee that would be needed.
I mention Bayern and Ac because those are the destinations that have been mooted in the press. Clubs around the world see that Berbatov hasn't been a success at utd but that doesn't discount the fantastic performances he gave for Spurs and Leverkursen. Listen I'll put my membership of the caf on it, if he leaves us it will be to a team that's qualified for the CL (mods can hold me to that). He would be ideally suited for Italian or Spanish football because of his close control and the pace he likes to play at, I would throw a resurgent Roma into the hat as a likely buyer.

Yep we should be with 25 year old players. Young talented players leaving your club is a bad policy which does come back to haunt you now and again.

Old talented players leaving your club, not so much.
The way I see it Ferguson made an exception for Berbatov (in terms of big money for an older player) because he could see that he could play at the same athletic level into his mid thirties. It's obvious that his game is totally unreliant on pace, it always has been. So I don't really think it's accurate to talk about Berbatov as if his career is about to end. Michael Owen is an old 29 because his game is entirely dependent on pace and age has robbed him of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.