Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

That Croatia's Gk Livakovic is fecking mint. At the right age of Gk at 27 as well.

Schmeichel was still with Brondby at this age.
Handanovic was 28 and at Udinese when he moved and he then won 3 Serie A Keeper of the Year awards, if you're not from a big country you can be a world-class keeper and not have gotten your big move by 27-28 easily.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He’s been awful all tournament - not sure why any United fan would even show a hint of interest in this bag of nerves.

roseguy64

The more I’ve seen the goal today the more I sympathise with him. Ninety nine times out of a hundred that cross lands straight in his arms, that jump by El-Nassyri was superhuman.

I’m not going to pretend I’m sold on him mind, and any move for a keeper that young will see them drop a fair few actual clangers. If Erik wants him though I’ll give the benefit of the doubt.
No, he approached it all wrong. It was his mistake. Either do it right or stick on your line.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This is a big no from me. Looking forward to seeing how Livakovic performs in the SF (and possibly the final)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That Croatia's Gk Livakovic is fecking mint. At the right age of Gk at 27 as well.

Schmeichel was still with Brondby at this age.
I'm very surprised he's not left Dinamo yet, I'm sure someone will snap him up though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we base our opinion on WC performances then David De Gea wouldn't be fit to lace David De Gea's boots, so I'm not sure there's much to gain in judging other goalkeepers as potential replacements for him on that basis either.

Especially as a lot of the primary weaknesses that might cause ETH to want an upgrade on De Gea (passing the ball under pressure and sweeping, for example) are impacted by the way teams set up tactically, with there tending to be a lot less emphasis on that in international football where teams are much less heavily coached. So if we're eyeing up potential replacements you're not going to get as clear an assessment of their neccessary strengths here.

Now this guy might not be the right guy anyway but you'd get a better idea of from watching his club games.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
If we base our opinion on WC performances then David De Gea wouldn't be fit to lace David De Gea's boots, so I'm not sure there's much to gain in judging other goalkeepers as potential replacements for him on that basis either.

Especially as a lot of the primary weaknesses that might cause ETH to want an upgrade on De Gea (passing the ball under pressure and sweeping, for example) are impacted by the way teams set up tactically, with there tending to be a lot less emphasis on that in international football where teams are much less heavily coached. So if we're eyeing up potential replacements you're not going to get as clear an assessment of their neccessary strengths here.

Now this guy might not be the right guy anyway but you'd get a better idea of from watching his club games.
Good point, even while being the best GK in the world De Gea was average at best for Spain. And on the other hand you might think Pickford is amongst the best if you only watched England games. Judging from national team performances is always very tricky, and apparently goalkeepers are no exception to this

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Porto fans must be over the moon with his WC performance. They might get to keep him a bit longer.

Black Alabaster

Exactly Sully, odd to see people writing off so many players linked to us based on a handful of slightly nervy international appearances that don't reflect a club football & coaching enviroment. Especially when these players are already performing high level in the Champions League like Costa who is just behind Courtious as keeper of the tournament atm in performance metrics.

The lad is 23 at his first WC, that is an achievement to be first choice in itself!

Bojan Djordjic

We should use his WC performances to knock a few quid off his asking price. I wouldn't be judging him too harshly based on a few shaky perfomances behind players that he doesn't play with on a weekly basis. The guy has shown with his club that he can do anything a modern keeper needs to do.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm very surprised he's not left Dinamo yet, I'm sure someone will snap him up though.
Handanovic was 28 and at Udinese when he moved and he then won 3 Serie A Keeper of the Year awards, if you're not from a big country you can be a world-class keeper and not have gotten your big move by 27-28 easily.
Agreed on this. Would watch him more in SF, and hopefully he's on United radar.

jesperjaap

He’s been awful all tournament - not sure why any United fan would even show a hint of interest in this bag of nerves.
I agree, not seen him for Porto and dont like judging players abilities from world cup games only, but he has been poor. Im still yet to see the right young modern keeper good enough or ready to replace DeGea at the moment.

DeGea may not be one of the very best keeper in the world as he was a few years ago, but he is still a very good keeper that outside the top few I am not sure we should be sacrificing just yet for the mdern keeper

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
My biggest disappointment. It's not just the blunder against Marocco, he was very shaky and did not transmit any safety to the back line. Overrated as Baía in my opinion. Probably enough for Porto, poor for a club like United (remember Baía stint at Barcelona).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Good point, even while being the best GK in the world De Gea was average at best for Spain. And on the other hand you might think Pickford is amongst the best if you only watched England games. Judging from national team performances is always very tricky, and apparently goalkeepers are no exception to this
the best keepers usually excel in both club and internationals. If we are aspiring to be the best club in the world - you would want someone that doesn’t shit the bed at the World Cup where expectations are heightened as well as excelling business end of UCL. From what I’ve seen De Gea hasn’t really excelled on either front across his career as a whole?

jesperjaap

Weird how the consensus seems to be we want a mdoern keeper good with his feet yet loads of people saying how good Likovic is....and he isnt really a modern keeper either.

Ive not seen many of these modern keepers and only seen Costa in the world cup so wont judge .

must say everytime Ive seen the Spain number one including the world cup and some club games, he looks dreadful though, DeGEas standing may have fallen and he has been poor the last few years for Spain, he is still a better keeper even if not so modern than most i have seen regularly.

I think the Brighton keeper is decent but its maybe a little early for him and only seen a coupel of times but Vandervoort looks a really good prospect, very young for a keeper and already has a move to Leipzig in 2024 which is weird. Wouldnt be surprsied to see him making a big move in the next 3/4years

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
My biggest disappointment. It's not just the blunder against Marocco, he was very shaky and did not transmit any safety to the back line. Overrated as Baía in my opinion. Probably enough for Porto, poor for a club like United (remember Baía stint at Barcelona).
He actually did a good Champions League Group Stage but it's remembering a bit the Baía hype, for his carrer it would be better to stay at Porto until 2024, I doubt any club will pay a big transfer for him based on that disaster at Qatar for sure.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The potential is there, but personality wise it won't be easy. He seems to misjudge simple things a lot of times.

Bojan Djordjic

Personally, I would go for it while his stock has taken a fall and his fee may be more negotiable.

An international tournament is an impossibly low sample size to be basing your opinions on someone. Lots of amazing players haven't had a great time in WC including the best player of all time until this year. He's young, has all the attributes we need and to date has been excellent with Porto, playing at a higher level in the champions league.

Shinjch

He doesn't seem to be the right sort to be an absolutely top keeper. Not assertive or fearless enough, at the moment anyway. Too timid.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
A big "no" from me. Not anywhere close to a large step-up. Much rather Livakovic or even Martinez (who is a very decent all round keeper with loads of PL experience)

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I think a GK that is prone to misjudge simple things a lot of times is one to pass on.
I agree. A lack of composure when the pressue is at its highest is not a desirable trait in a GK in my view.

People can claim he just had a poor tournament, but why? Seemed to be mostly of his own doing to me. He looked anxious and uncertain far too often, and questionable decision making seemed to be the main catalyst for a generally unconvincing WC showing imo.

Demaw

Playing in Portugal is a lot easier than the PL and all the spotlight too.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Sounds as if we are really keen which makes me thing we are really stupid. He's nowhere near good enough - especially if talk of a record amount for a keeper proves correct. there are so many better around and he's simply not enough of an upgrade of DDG

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I dread to think what some of you were saying the first few years of De Gea’s time here
I saw him at Atletico long before United so I knew the keeper he was, some people don't have time for young players but complain we don't buy xyz before they are worth 100m too

phelans shorts

I saw him at Atletico long before United so I knew the keeper he was, some people don't have time for young players but complain we don't buy xyz before they are worth 100m too
it’s amazing isn’t it. Personally I love watching talented youngsters kick on, but it has its inherent issues in that you get a few mistakes.
We’re not in a position where we can wait a couple years for someone to get used to the PL.
But we currently have the worst keeper in the league allegedly, so what’s to lose?

Anyway, which of the premier league proven goalkeepers do you want since we can’t buy from abroad? Bernd Leno? David Raya?

Zoo

Fake news started by mufcmbp. Same as the Tielemans stuff yesterday.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Smart and sensible keeper signing will be Yann Sommer free agent in the summer to buy us more time not this guy. Sommer can give DDG a competition. This summer focus our budget on striker and deep-playmaker.

city-puma

Smart and sensible keeper signing will be Yann Sommer free agent in the summer to buy us more time not this guy. Sommer can give DDG a competition. This summer focus our budget on striker and deep-playmaker.
I think Yann Sommer was even worse in World Cup than Diogo Costa.

We Need Another Rebuild

Should be the number 1 GK Target, Offers everything we need to implement ETH Style properly.

Better than De Gea as an all round GK

Skills

Snitch
Should be the number 1 GK Target, Offers everything we need to implement ETH Style properly.

Better than De Gea as an all round GK
Completely fell apart at the world cup playing for Portugal. I couldn't imagine him somewhere like Anfield with the Kop behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.