Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
According to O Jogo

Would have assumed his value dropped a little after his WC performance(s), but yeah, if we had the money to sign this lad, plus a CF and a starting CM, i'd be all for it at a "reasonable" price. But unless we get sold, i don't see where the money is going to come from.

We Need Another Rebuild

Completely fell apart at the world cup playing for Portugal. I couldn't imagine him somewhere like Anfield with the Kop behind him.
Many players have had stinkers in world cups.

I judge off a full season, plays well in Champions league.

Many a united player has had a sh1t WC and played well next season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would have assumed his value dropped a little after his WC performance(s), but yeah, if we had the money to sign this lad, plus a CF and a starting CM, i'd be all for it at a "reasonable" price. But unless we get sold, i don't see where the money is going to come from.
First of all, I hope all is well with you bro..

We signed a 26 year old Jaap Stam for a record fee from PSV in 1998. And he then went and played in the world cup in 98, and had a poor tournament for his standards, before making his debut for us in the Charity Shield where Nicolas Anelka ripped him a new one in a 3-0 win for Arsenal. The general consensus was that we'd signed a dud, but after a settling in period, Stam went on to win the treble with us that same season.

Nerves do get the better of players at times and it takes a bedding in period for some to settle into high pressure environments.

That doesn't mean Diogo Costa is the right choice but rather we shouldn't look too much into what happened at the world cup imo.

For me, we should look to sign a well rounded keeper. And Diogo Costa along with Anatoliy Trubin, Gregor Kobel and Maarten Vandervoordt should be among the targets imo. I'm also hopeful a new owner will be in place before the summer window.

Skills

Snitch
Many players have had stinkers in world cups.

I judge off a full season, plays well in Champions league.

Many a united player has had a sh1t WC and played well next season.
Players can have shit games or tournaments. But he looked like a deer in headlights. This is not someone who's going to cope with the big stage.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
First of all, I hope all is well with you bro..

We signed a 26 year old Jaap Stam for a record fee from PSV in 1998. And he then went and played in the world cup in 98, and had a poor tournament for his standards, before making his debut for us in the Charity Shield where Nicolas Anelka ripped him a new one in a 3-0 win for Arsenal. The general consensus was that we'd signed a dud, but after a settling in period, Stam went on to win the treble with us that same season.

Nerves do get the better of players at times and it takes a bedding in period for some to settle into high pressure environments.

That doesn't mean Diogo Costa is the right choice but rather we shouldn't look too much into what happened at the world cup imo.

For me, we should look to sign a well rounded keeper. And Diogo Costa along with Anatoliy Trubin, Gregor Kobel and Maarten Vandervoordt should be among the targets imo. I'm also hopeful a new owner will be in place before the summer window.
I was alright bro - struggling a little with the bombardment and banter today, but that's life/footy - it'll pass. Otherwise all good. How are you brother? Been a while.

Yeah, agreed re all the above. I guess my point of contention is less "world cup, don't want" and more around the fact that we seem skint at the moment wrt money and other priorities in the team (CF, CM as an example). Possibly even a RB. But yeah, would definitely not turn my nose up at Costa because he's been exceptional in the little i've seen from him in the UCL this season. From those other names, the only one i've remotely checked out a bit (funny enough also based on some of your earlier posts as I've not heard from him before) is Vandervoordt. How would you rate him/potential and what sort of value would we be talking?

Hopefully we get new owners who can give us a bit of a boost in the market to fill those necessary gaps - whilst also raising some funds by shifting a few players we can improve upon.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was alright bro - struggling a little with the bombardment and banter today, but that's life/footy - it'll pass. Otherwise all good. How are you brother? Been a while.

Yeah, agreed re all the above. I guess my point of contention is less "world cup, don't want" and more around the fact that we seem skint at the moment wrt money and other priorities in the team (CF, CM as an example). Possibly even a RB. But yeah, would definitely not turn my nose up at Costa because he's been exceptional in the little i've seen from him in the UCL this season. From those other names, the only one i've remotely checked out a bit (funny enough also based on some of your earlier posts as I've not heard from him before) is Vandervoordt. How would you rate him/potential and what sort of value would we be talking?

Hopefully we get new owners who can give us a bit of a boost in the market to fill those necessary gaps - whilst also raising some funds by shifting a few players we can improve upon.
I'm good bro, just playing video games and trying to stay away from the ridicule from family and friends after the game yesterday. I have a week off work but after yesterday's game I'm keeping a low profile.

I'm hopeful new owners will be in place before the summer window. And the potential of the young Belgian keeper Vandervoordt is very high and he's stylistically a fit for the way ten Hag wants to play. He's still very young and will likely have teething problems but I think most would back a high potential youngster like Vandervoordt through a settling in period. But he's due to join RB Leipzig next summer and may not be a realistic option for us come the summer.

I think Dortmund's, Kobel and Shakhtar's, Trubin also have the tools to be the keeper we need. Kobel being 25, might be someone that may be deemed as someone who is ready to step right into the first 11. But from the little I've seen of Trubin in European competition, he looks like a keeper who has the commanding presence, aswell as the ability on the ball.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm good bro, just playing video games and trying to stay away from the ridicule from family and friends after the game yesterday. I have a week off work but after yesterday's game I'm keeping a low profile.

I'm hopeful new owners will be in place before the summer window. And the potential of the young Belgian keeper Vandervoordt is very high and he's stylistically a fit for the way ten Hag wants to play. He's still very young and will likely have teething problems but I think most would back a high potential youngster like Vandervoordt through a settling in period. But he's due to join RB Leipzig next summer and may not be a realistic option for us come the summer.

I think Dortmund's, Kobel and Shakhtar's, Trubin also have the tools to be the keeper we need. Kobel being 25, might be someone that may be deemed as someone who is ready to step right into the first 11. But from the little I've seen of Trubin in European competition, he looks like a keeper who has the commanding presence, aswell as the ability on the ball.
Your knowledge around footy is always a pleasure to read brother! I’ll go check out some of those later. Same here, trying to keep a low profile but these twats won’t stop whatsapping with the same boring jibes. Feckers.

Enjoy the week off and yeah, hopefully we get new owners and have some good targets in mind for key positions, including getting competition in there for Bruno.

MegadrivePerson

My concern with Costa is that he will need a year or two to adapt to the Premier League.

I'd prefer David Raya from Brentford.

in an ideal world I'd sign both and have them competing with each other for the number one spot.

Bojan Djordjic

My concern with Costa is that he will need a year or two to adapt to the Premier League.

I'd prefer David Raya from Brentford.

in an ideal world I'd sign both and have them competing with each other for the number one spot.
Any reason a goalkeeper would take two years to get used to a league? What's the rationale like? I don't remember Ederson or Allison taking a season or two to get going? It's the same sport and it's not like a goalie needs to get familiar with tactical shapes or the 'pace' of the league.

daba

Any reason a goalkeeper would take two years to get used to a league? What's the rationale like? I don't remember Ederson or Allison taking a season or two to get going? It's the same sport and it's not like a goalie needs to get familiar with tactical shapes or the 'pace' of the league.
I think people just have this fear because that’s what happened the last time we bought a keeper not from the PL in De Gea.

Diogo is a little bit older than when we got De Gea and has international experience, so I wouldn’t be too fearful of him taking that amount of time.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
But surely clubs, and therefore scouts, have access to all footage, not just the live feed.
Depends entirely if a club is willing to give that footage out, or if their stadia is equipped with it. But think it through, if you have a good player then why would you give someone a tactical camera's footage? "I hear you are interested in our player, have some evidence to back up that view, also here is some future information about how we set up tactically for free on top of that"

Pass and Move

Depends entirely if a club is willing to give that footage out, or if their stadia is equipped with it. But think it through, if you have a good player then why would you give someone a tactical camera's footage? "I hear you are interested in our player, have some evidence to back up that view, also here is some future information about how we set up tactically for free on top of that"
Why would they, and if they did why would you need a scout?
I mean, if Sky for example is broadcasting a match, then I assumed clubs could get access to all the angles from the match, player cams, etc. combined with all the tracking data from Opta and so on, I find it hard to believe that there is that much more to be learned by being at the stadium with an arguably worse view sometimes.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I mean, if Sky for example is broadcasting a match, then I assumed clubs could get access to all the angles from the match, player cams, etc. combined with all the tracking data from Opta and so on, I find it hard to believe that there is that much more to be learned by being at the stadium with an arguably worse view sometimes.
Well every game is TV covered at top level these days - why would fans ever go to a game?

You can't beat being there as a fan and as a scout I would think

Pass and Move

Well it’s obviously completely different for fans, wanting to support the players and experience the atmosphere. Also, televising matches does cause fans to not bother attending matches in many leagues.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
What can they get from watching 1 game? It could be his bad day also.
They don't usually just go to one game though, teams would normally watch a player several times before considering buying him

seegoblu

But surely clubs, and therefore scouts, have access to all footage, not just the live feed.
Scouts also spend time speaking to people who interact with the player to get a complete sense of his personality, drive, determination, habits, etc. Watching the game is a part of the task but the whole task.

Uniquim

Translation:
"Diogo Costa's footwork. Anyone who doesn't understand the difference this makes in beating high blood pressure is watching the game with their eyes closed."

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think if we found ourselves spending 60m+ on a keeper we’d have to go for Maignan.

Onerealunited

He looks really good in the video, his distributions are amazing. Hve we at all been linked to him by any reliable sources?

SAFMUTD

I think if we found ourselves spending 60m+ on a keeper we’d have to go for Maignan.
Maignan would cost 80M at least. I don't see us spending that much on a keeper when we have so many holes in the squad.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I remember myself and @bucky mentioning Maignan on here years ago between (2016-2919) as a keeper we should sign . Bucky longer than I have and he (Maignan) eventually left for 15m.

The keepers are out there you just have to take a chance on potential.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Maignan ain't the one.

Costa is the one. Based on nothing other than his age, ability and commanding presence in the box.
His age defies his ability, he is a superb all-rounder.

Maignan has a dubious injury record also, something that I'd be very very wary of.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Maignan ain't the one.

Costa is the one. Based on nothing other than his age, ability and commanding presence in the box.

Maignan has a dubious injury record also, something that I'd be very very wary of.
Maignan won’t be the one because we probably won’t buy him. But he’s better than Costa.

Maignan is plenty young enough.

izec

Maignan won’t be the one because we probably won’t buy him. But he’s better than Costa.

Maignan is plenty young enough.
Maignan is amazing, but already at a good club.

Porto always sell for a decent fee.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Translation:
"Diogo Costa's footwork. Anyone who doesn't understand the difference this makes in beating high blood pressure is watching the game with their eyes closed."
That second from last was lovely. But yes, whether it is he or someone else, we require a keeper who can start our build up.

Maignan ain't the one.

Maignan is one of the best keepers in the world. Milan will not sell for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.