Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Time Red

Did well to not get himself sent off in fairness to him, I'd never have thought he'd see out the 90 minutes after getting yellow carded so early.

KeanoMagicHat

A stupid yellow card after 2 minutes and his game was gone. City exploited him again and again. Ten Hag should have took him off.

Ludens the Red

This thing he does where he gets booked early on in games for pointless hard man challenges is really helpful. Keep it up lad.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That yellow changed everything. He couldn't go for challenges with intensity after that. City targeted him entire game and 3 goals came from his side.

ETH should have made the adjustment after the yellow.
Adjustment to who. Maybe don’t get booked in 60 seconds

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Adjustment to who. Maybe don’t get booked in 60 seconds
That wasn't an yellow. But shit happens and some help from midfield would have helped. Antony helped but then they doubled up on midfield which means KDB had acres of space on right midfield.

I dont know what adjustment but he isn't the first or last one to get yellow in the first minute. Hopefully everyone learns from it.

Manny

Grammar Police
The early yellow set the tone for the whole team. Felt like we were on the back foot from the off.

Giggsyking

Such a mediocre player. He is not good with anything. He is sh1t to mediocre in every aspect of the game. I would rather have AWB instead of him. At least I know he is going to defend.

Dominos

I don't understand how players so frequently get themselves an early yellow.

Dalot is a fairly quick player, he doesn't need to dive in on Grealish there, he just needs to match his run.

Shaw does the same, he doesn't trust his pace despite being quick, refuses to match the run and instead just dives in and gets himself booked all the time.

kundalini

Poor challenge got him booked early on then got overwhelmed as City typically had 3 against 2, or 2 against 1 on that side.

Pat Cat

He was terrible defensively but, predictably, people are going overboard. He was the only player along with Martinez who was composed in possession and could pick passes out especially in that first half.

Everyone knows he's not good defensively but then neither is Cancelo for example who's still a top player. Also thought Antony left him isolated on a few too many occasions.

Longshanks

He is just so meh. Got stripped defensively today which happens all to often and has very little end product when he gets forward.

Decent technique, neat and tidy on the ball but feel like he is missing key qualities to be a top player.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
This is why we shouldn't rush to give him a new contract (as has been rumored recently)

Vernon Philander

The referee had a mare in brandishing the yellow for that early challenge. Completely stunted Dalots performance as it restricted his aggression and City gleefully exploited

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think there was a number of reasons why we lost the way we did, but Dalot failing to to occupy the space behind Antony was particularly damaging. EtH mentioned at the end of the game about wanting to defend from the front, but defending from the front isn't a option if the fullbacks are not backing the press. And as it transpired, Dalot ended up in 1v1 scenarios far too many times due to holding back in a deeper position. There was a lack of intensity and poor use of the ball all round in the first half, but we can't compensate if the fullback isn't closing the space. Below are recent examples of Dalot not moving into the space against Arsenal, Man City and Real Sociedad, which makes it far too easy for the opposition to bypass the first line of pressure. And I've noticed a similar problem on the left.

It was said by some that Dalot backed off due to protecting Maguire. But he's repeated the same unwillingness to close the space when not playing with Maguire, as seen in the clips below.

Real Sociedad

Arsenal

Man City

The clip below is one example from ten Hag's Ajax in the UCL, where the RB (Mazraoui) closes the space and wins the ball back to turn defence into attack. And whilst Mazraoui is advancing towards the active area on the pitch, Alvarez is closing down the unmarked player in the zone Mazraoui has vacated.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think there was a number of reasons why we lost the way we did, but Dalot failing to to occupy the space behind Antony was particularly damaging. EtH mentioned at the end of the game about wanting to defend from the front, but defending from the front isn't a option if the fullbacks are not backing the press. And as it transpired, Dalot ended up in 1v1 scenarios far too many times due to holding back in a deeper position. There was a lack of intensity and poor use of the ball all round in the first half, but we can't compensate if the fullback isn't closing the space. Below are recent examples of Dalot not moving into the space against Arsenal, Man City and Real Sociedad, which makes it far too easy for the opposition to bypass the first line of pressure. And I've noticed a similar problem on the left.

It was said by some that Dalot backed off due to protecting Maguire. But he's repeated the same unwillingness to close the space when not playing with Maguire, as seen in the clips below.

Real Sociedad

Arsenal

Man City

The clip below is one example from ten Hag's Ajax in the UCL, where the RB (Mazraoui) closes the space and wins the ball back to turn defence into attack. And whilst Mazraoui is advancing towards the active area on the pitch, Alvarez is closing down the unmarked player in the zone Mazraoui has vacated.

Something like this is based on the coaching and can be fixed through coaching/training, it is not like a technical requirement that special players need to have. ETH should have focus this more in training.

Omonia Nicosia 2:3 Man Utd

Olecurls99

Real Sociedad

Arsenal

Man City

Doesn't Dalot have to mark the left winger? Who takes the left winger if Dalot pushes onto the left full?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Doesn't Dalot have to mark the left winger? Who takes the left winger if Dalot pushes onto the left full?
Dalot should push forward to maintain compactness and McTominay then takes up position to back up Dalot with Varane behind to cover. McTominay's next movement is dependant on Dalot closing the space behind Antony which he doesn't do and hence Bernardo Silva pulls towards the space between Dalot and Antony which disrupts our defensive structure and opens up gaps in the half spaces and exposes the midfield and back-line due to McTominay having to go with Bernardo Silva.

The clip above showing the Mazraoui - Alvarez off the ball combination is what should've happened. That's front foot defending and something we need to learn quickly.

Olecurls99

Dalot should push forward to maintain compactness and McTominay then takes up position to back up Dalot with Varane behind to cover. McTominay's next movement is dependant on Dalot closing the space behind Antony which he doesn't do and hence Bernardo Silva pulls towards the space between Dalot and Antony which disrupts our defensive structure and opens up gaps in the half spaces and exposes the midfield and back-line due to McTominay having to go with Bernardo Silva.

The clip above showing the Mazraoui - Alvarez off the ball combination is what should've happened. That's front foot defending and something we need to learn quickly.
Fair enough. It's a bit risky though. If one man is beaten it leaves a 2 on 1 scenario straight away.

NZT-One

Fair enough. It's a bit risky though. If one man is beaten it leaves a 2 on 1 scenario straight away.
It is, that is why pressing was and is still a high risk, high reward endeavour. We have cruised through opponents trying to do it to us under Ole for a reason. Plus I'd add, that the overall compactness of the team is important to it. As long as players are far away from each other, the risk of situations you describe is even bigger - on the other side do you need distance to stretch defense once you win the ball - finding the right balance is a very delicate thing to master.

Everton 1:2 Man Utd

RuudtheRed

I felt he was pretty awful in possession. Gave the ball away needlessly so many times. Hopefully he can improve going forward.

sammyhol

Been good so far this season but was crap tonight.

so sloppy in possession

The United

We still need to address the RB position. I think Dalot is improving but I'm not sure he will be good enough for a top team if we become that.

NZT-One

Seems like his good run of form is somewhat coming to an end. Would be good, to give him a little rest here and there.

BorisManUtd

Below his usual standard of this season. Looked like Dalot we hated in the past.

Kag

I know he’s had some good games recently, but, feck me, he’s dead from the neck up.

He’s in that Kyle Walker category of stupid, and even then he’s nowhere near as good.

EtH

His constant cutbacks to the opposing midfield in our own third did my head in today. We need an upgrade in January badly.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Loved picking out an infield pass to a blue shirt.

Not his best game, but one thing I will say about him is its nice how comfortable he is with the ball and with both feet.

Devil81

Had an off game passing wise but he dug deep and was solid.

Miles better than AWB.

Status
Not open for further replies.