Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hands up, I for one never trusted him as a defender. But he’s doing brilliantly under a proper coaching system and doesn’t have to line up alongside Lindelof-Maguire which must have sapped his confidence. Brilliant performance by him yesterday. Long May it continue
He never really seemed to care before, just got skinned so easily 1v1 and gave up.

Something's just clicked inside him now, he's a completely different player. Ever since he got destroyed by Villareal it's like he looked in the mirror and said nope never again.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Hands up, I for one never trusted him as a defender. But he’s doing brilliantly under a proper coaching system and doesn’t have to line up alongside Lindelof-Maguire which must have sapped his confidence. Brilliant performance by him yesterday. Long May it continue
It’s not just him. Mctominay has improved and even Rashford’s making assists from a Centre forward system.

We finally have a manager who can coach his players.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I quite enjoyed the Celebrations from him after the goals, Would love to see that more often, any idea the meaning behind it?
"Ah yes ‘check the pulse’!" he told Wednesday's edition of United Review, the official matchday programme. "It’s a funny thing. I had a couple of friends in the national team and we were playing Uno and, when we are putting down the +4 cards, everybody was like this [points to neck] because we didn’t have any more +4 cards.

“So it was a funny thing and, after that, we thought it could be a group celebration if we scored in the national team, which hasn’t happened yet. "But, after that, we decided that every time one of us scored, we would do it. “It’s an original thing, it’s not something I’ve seen before and it’s a good one! [Laughs] “I will definitely do it for my next goal!"
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/diogo-dalot-explains-pulse-celebration

VanDeBank

Ma’am
many and by many a large majority wanted him sold over the summer and for a while before that. So it is a turnaround because no one is saying that now. Yes obviously the team has done it.. but for me the difference in him has been the biggest out of everyone (mctominay has a case for that too).
It was definitely not a majority. As I recall it the AWB vs Dalot debate over the summer was split roughly down the middle, with my observation being that the posters in the pro AWB camp were very EPL centric and not well clued in as to ETH's style of play.

I'm running on the assumption here that we discount any trolls that wanted both our senior RBs sold in one window.

I feel like people would rather credit Dalot with some monumental development than admit they were wrong. (Much like I was wrong about McTominay)

He's clearly performing better. He's more effective in the final 3rd, which for a large part is attributable to more confidence and a proper team in which players dont make hero plays and care feck all about everything else. His main defensive weakness has improved through more confidence and being put through the ringer a few times (which was bound to him happen in his first full PL season coming from Serie A).

Dalot's progress has been a slow, consistent climb. There is no turn around and implying there was one does him a disservice.

Yes, at one point his stock was at an all time low, but as I recall it that was when he scored an own goal in his first 8 minutes in pre season. I doubt anyone that had written him off then had watched him for Milan.

Truth is, his athleticism, defensive positioning and build up play were on display last season as well. If you didn't see it, you most likely struggled to contextualize what was happening given the nature of that season or you were too hammered to notice.

ForeverRed1

It was definitely not a majority. As I recall it the AWB vs Dalot debate over the summer was split roughly down the middle, with my observation being that the posters in the pro AWB camp were very EPL centric and not well clued in as to ETH's style of play.

I'm running on the assumption here that we discount any trolls that wanted both our senior RBs sold in one window.

I feel like people would rather credit Dalot with some monumental development than admit they were wrong. (Much like I was wrong about McTominay)

He's clearly performing better. He's more effective in the final 3rd, which for a large part is attributable to more confidence and a proper team in which players dont make hero plays and care feck all about everything else. His main defensive weakness has improved through more confidence and being put through the ringer a few times (which was bound to him happen in his first full PL season coming from Serie A).

Dalot's progress has been a slow, consistent climb. There is no turn around and implying there was one does him a disservice.

Yes, at one point his stock was at an all time low, but as I recall it that was when he scored an own goal in his first 8 minutes in pre season. I doubt anyone that had written him off then had watched him for Milan.

Truth is, his athleticism, defensive positioning and build up play were on display last season as well. If you didn't see it, you most likely struggled to contextualize what was happening given the nature of that season or you were too hammered to notice.
I recall him being called Forrest Gump and a fraud not long ago at all. When he went on loan fans were gutted he didn’t end up there. Yes he has had little spells where he has improved but the player we’re seeing now is night and day. He was actually one of the names consistently coming up to be sold, now he is one of the first on the team sheet, Which is fantastic Because he is now showing his true potential and then some. He’s clearly listening to the new manager and training hard to show what he can do.

if He carries on the way he is, we have a seriously good player on our hands. This is why we wanted ETH, this is what he had to do when we couldn’t go out and just buy a new starting 11.. we needed players like dalot to step up and he is.

nothing wrong with thinking that way and no I’m not saying he wasn’t a good player before, I’m just saying he has definitely stepped up this season and we’re seeing a different beast. He’s showing a fight we haven’t seen before either, the high fives when winning tackles, the passion. The fight this bunch of defenders are bringing is exactly what we needed.

TsuWave

He’s converting me. Guy is playing really well. Been good for a while now

Ekeke

When he first came he was doing the tricks like in that 2nd goal. Its a confidence thing and this will do him the world of good going forward. He's been fine if not good defensively since his Milan loan.

The one area he still needs to improve, and hopefully it'll come with this confidence boost is taking care with his cross. He can put a nice cross in but he tends to overhit 2 or 3 before getting a decent one in. He's better than that and he needs to have more care with that delivery. Thats all

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I've always had faith in him. I never really liked AWB, he's too one dimensional.
He looks like one of those players who can be coached to be better, not necessarily world class, but better.
Some others aren't coachable and that's really bad for a manager like Ten Hag to work with.

Shai-Hulud

Maybe people can stop talking about RB being one of our top priority signings now.

TsuWave

Maybe people can stop talking about RB being one of our top priority signings now.
Still need one more. Dalot could be in a purple patch for all we know. Only really has been solid since/from match day week two, plus if he’s out (injury etc), we are lacking there

little.triangles

Very important that we bring in another RB with the same profile of Dalot, somebody who is aggressive and attack-minded. This is important for two reasons:
1. An injury will bring AWB back into the team and he will hamper our attacking play on the right hand side.
2. Having a similar player allows us keep our style of football going. All big clubs have players who can simply slot in. With Maguire and AWB, we will need to change our style and that is a problem.

Edit: unless Ethan Laird is of the same profile and can become the back-up.

Fanta Stick

He never really seemed to care before, just got skinned so easily 1v1 and gave up.

Something's just clicked inside him now, he's a completely different player. Ever since he got destroyed by Villareal it's like he looked in the mirror and said nope never again.
I have always thought there was a player there but he was just far too passive for the PL.

It seems EtH has given him some self belief and coached some aggression into his game.

Sorry to say that I had pretty much written him off as a squad player at most but hopefully he will continue to prove me wrong.

lysglimt

Scout
Well that's a bit silly. Granted there's been lots wrong around him but he's been consistently underwhelming in that time. There have been clear issues in the defensive side of his game. I think it's pretty uncontroversial to talk of a turnaround in his game.
A bit this yes - that game against Danjuma in the C.L - he was so poor I felt sorry for him. Now he is generally solid.

jeepers

Very important that we bring in another RB with the same profile of Dalot, somebody who is aggressive and attack-minded. This is important for two reasons:
1. An injury will bring AWB back into the team and he will hamper our attacking play on the right hand side.
2. Having a similar player allows us keep our style of football going. All big clubs have players who can simply slot in. With Maguire and AWB, we will need to change our style and that is a problem.

Hoping that Laird can be back-up next season, whoever the starting RB might be.

For now it looks like it’s Dalot’s spot to lose.

Laird looks to go forward at every opportunity but still has loads to improve in his defensive game. Hopefully he has strong season with QPR and is past his injuries.

Shai-Hulud

Sure... But for the top 3 necessary signings, I'd say striker, CM and GK are above RB.

We're further up shit creek with Martial or Eriksen injured, than we are with Dalot injured. IMO...

little.triangles

Sure... But for the top 3 necessary signings, I'd say striker, CM and GK are above RB.

We're further up shit creek with Martial or Eriksen injured, than we are with Dalot injured. IMO...
Fair enough. Ideally we get the 4 singings in the next two windows, but otherwise you are right about priorities.

Trequarista10

I think ST is highest priority by a mile, then probably GK, as these are positions that need fixing in our immediate starting XI, then CM and RB both of which we need to improve for depth and variation.

The great thing with Dalot is he's also capable at LB, especially in the more inverted full back role we're currently utilising. I'd argue that if we had a prime Dani Alves at right-back, that Dalot would possibly be first choice left back over Malacia. So moving on AWB for a top class right back doesn't necessarily mean Dalot is demoted to a backup option. However if he keeps his current form up, it may best to target a young RB who can play backup to Dalot..

jackal&hyde

I've always championed his level of natural talent. I hope this is the beginning of him making the most of it. Silly how so many people had written him off so early.

jackal&hyde

This is a good point. He has attacking ability but now with proper central defenders, he can actually play his game knowing that the defensive part is much better covered then before. Yet another player that benefits a lot by having Martinez and Varane in the team.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I've always championed his level of natural talent. I hope this is the beginning of him making the most of it. Silly how so many people had written him off so early.
Those who “had written him off” made a pretty reasonable conclusion given his performances throughout the years.

Irwin99

People saying that he should never have been written off is a bit much when you'd be very hard pressed to think of a single period of sustained good form for United before this season. I struggle to even think of a single game where he impressed me in his first few years at the club.

The argument that he was too passive before is a good one I feel. He's added aggression to his game and he's looking a far more proactive player. Technique was always there and now he seems to be applying himself. Long may it continue :D

Kostov

He has proven me wrong and I am so glad to see him doing good. I thought he is absolute dogshit, he had become a top RB option and I hope he makes the position his own.

jackal&hyde

Those who “had written him off” made a pretty reasonable conclusion given his performances throughout the years.
Not when you take in to consideration that he was a very young player with very obvious talent. He was always going to be a "project" type player but after a number of games some people acted like he was not even a real footballer. A similar thing is happening now with Amad. Some people just have 0 patience with young players that have come for a fee.

The_Midfielder

He’s got the extra year, I think. But still needs doing soon. Real Madrid will be looking to replace Carvajal at some point and Barca are short at RB, too (unless I’m forgetting transfers they’ve made this summer).
Hold on!!
No way he can start for Real/Barca

SAFMUTD

The player that has improved the most under Ten Hag. I was ready to let him go a couple of seasons ago, now he looks solid. Hope he keeps improving, he's fairly young so I think he surely will.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We nearly sold him to Milan for 10 mil. Bloody hell, Solskjaer's assessment of players was atrocious.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I will not say that he was good previous years (because he wasn't) but people wrote him off based on his shaky defending. And never looked above that.
Technical ability was always there and it was pretty much obvious that he needs to play in more technical and attacking side to reach potential.
As i always say; you can teach a player to defend but technique and skill you either have or not.

Last edited:

Olecurls99

I will m
Not say that he was good previous years (because he wasn't) but people wrote him off based on his shaky defending. And never looked above that.
Technical ability was always there and it was pretty much obvious that he needs to play in more technical and attacking side to reach potential.
As i always say; you can teach a player to defend but technique and skill you either have or not.
Agreed

CloneMC16

Well he would do, especially after this joke of a thread. Dalot was always a better footballer than AWB. He had everything football wise that AWB can only dream of having.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/what-is-diogo-dalot-good-at.472114/
I don't see what AWB has to do with Dalot. We can look at a player without comparing him to a teammate. If one is better than the other, it doesn't necessarily mean that the better one is good enough. The thread was made, because he was bad last season. Just like the rest of his teammates. We hadn't seen good performances from him that we have seen from some other players in prior seasons. I think he was rightfully questioned.

He has been excellent this season, but I'm not going to say I was wrong to doubt him. It's also only been a few games. If he continues to perform like this, I'll happily admit I was wrong. I want all of our players to be great.

Chief123

Dalot’s performance against Martinelli looks even more impressive now. He is such a handful. Dalot dealt with him one v one most of the game. Spurs have doubled on him all game and still struggled.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
That yellow changed everything. He couldn't go for challenges with intensity after that. City targeted him entire game and 3 goals came from his side.

ETH should have made the adjustment after the yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.